ADVERTISEMENT

Gueye

jourdand

Hall Of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Watched Gueye play in the G-League elite camp. My unofficial stat line 8 points 1 rebound 2 turnovers and 2 fouls. Shot 2 3ptrs made 1 air balled the other. Made 3-4 free throws. Denied at the rim twice one of which was called a foul. Made 1 of 3 from inside the arc. Looked a tad lost on defense, blown by twice on the perimeter and abused inside once. Had ball in the post twice but just didn’t look confident imo, held it for quite awhile then kicked it out without even attempting a scoring move.

Not sure if he grasped the type of game he was in! Everybody trying to get theirs, he seemed to differ to others most times.

Watched Gueye play in the G-League elite camp. My unofficial stat line 8 points 1 rebound 2 turnovers and 2 fouls. Shot 2 3ptrs made 1 air balled the other. Made 3-4 free throws. Denied at the rim twice one of which was called a foul. Made 1 of 3 from inside the arc. Looked a tad lost on defense, blown by twice on the perimeter and abused inside once. Had ball in the post twice but just didn’t look confident imo, held it for quite awhile then kicked it out without even attempting a scoring move.

Not sure if he grasped the type of game he was in! Everybody trying to get theirs, he seemed to differ to others most times.

I saw he ran fast.

Definitely a guard driven game. On a 2nd half possession, Gueye ends up open without another player within at least 5 feet. The guard never looks at him and finally someone comes down to pick him up.

You never know what scouts see though but my eyes said he could use another year in college as most would expect. Good experience for him though. Obviously would like to see him back in Pullman.

Those 8 points in a game, and all the other stats, etc, vs NBA G league players, NBA players, G league try out camp players, is still ok, semi good, not bad, etc.

And that would equate to about 2,3,4 ppg, etc at the NBA regular season level.

Also Dennis Rodman, and Jim McIlvaine(7 footer, sonics, co starter, situational starter, 6,7,8th man off the bench, about 26 minutes per game), didn't score that much, and Jim didn't rebound that well(was pretty much just another rim protector)

So Gueye's stats weren't bad. And he might have done better if it wasn't so guard driven, and if they had given him the ball, when he was open, and also stats aren't everything.

It's also obvious that he has NBA freak athleticism, NBA talent, skill, BUT ALSO RAW, is confused by speed of game, does not know what he is doing, needs development.

It's obvious that he needs 1,2 more years in college with the right team, coach, etc.

It's obvious why college recruiters, boosters, etc, offered him about a 250k NIL Deal, want him to transfer to their team.

It's obvious why NBA draft room com and others projected him as a lottery pick.

Also remember that he only just finished his freshman year, and is only 18,19 years old.

Also he is AHEAD of where James Donaldson(About 7 footer that played for WSU's Raveling, that got drafted, had a 10 year NBA Career), was at in James Donaldson freshman year or at the end of his freshman year.

Also if there had been a G League back then(There kind of was with the CBA starting up), James Donaldson would have done a LOT WORSE then Gueye did, if he James Donaldson had tried to play in a G league, if it had existed, at the end of his freshman year.

It's obvious that Gueye probably will be drafted as a 1st round pick, 1,2 years from now, assuming that he plays for the right teams, coaches, gets developed, if he works on his game, etc.

That said, I hope he realizes he is not ready yet, and hope he comes back to WSU.

James Donaldson was drafted in the fourth round 40 plus years ago. Absolutely zero relevance to anything today, completely different game. Gueye has the intangibles but has along way to go before he steps foot in the NBA. This year there were four NBA players who are alumni of the G-league elite camp. This is a far cry from the NBA. Gueye has to become more assertive in these games, which another year at the college level could induce. Almost all the first round picks in every draft are Freshmen or Sophmores. Imo he needs to return to college work on his game and take another run at it after next year.

Mikalas if you have proof Gueye is being offered $250,000 by college recruiters or boosters to play for their team please sen the proof to the NCAA!!

Last edited:
James Donaldson was drafted in the fourth round 40 plus years ago. Absolutely zero relevance to anything today, completely different game. Gueye has the intangibles but has along way to go before he steps foot in the NBA. This year there were four NBA players who are alumni of the G-league elite camp. This is a far cry from the NBA. Gueye has to become more assertive in these games, which another year at the college level could induce. Almost all the first round picks in every draft are Freshmen or Sophmores. Imo he needs to return to college work on his game and take another run at it after next year.

Mikalas if you have proof Gueye is being offered $250,000 by college recruiters or boosters to play for their team please sen the proof to the NCAA!!

A link was posted to either a Seattle Times, or some other credible source in 1 of the most, more recent threads about how Gueye, and Efe, were either offered about 200k to 250k NIL DEALS by boosters, unofficial recruiters, etc, if they decided to go-to those big time colleges, whose boosters legally offered that(It's legal, ok with the rules for boosters to offer a NIL DEAL(Money for their name, image, likeness, being used in Ads, etc), to recruits, if said recruits choose to go-to a college)(A booster can basically say "If you goto XYZ college, then if you also help sell my cars, with your NIL, etc, I will pay you(Insert amount), an or that according to some recruiters, boosters, scouts, etc, of a lot of big time colleges, that Efe, Gueye we're worth about 200k to 250k NIL DEALS, according to the general consensus of the market place, credible sources, and that if Efe, Gueye were to go-to their college, that's what Efe, Gueye would get.

This was linked, posted in 1 of the threads, then discussed, talked about. Which is why people here were upset, sounded upset, etc, that the reason why Efe, Gueye were thinking about transferring were either those specific deals, or being told that that's what they were worth, would be offered, would get.

I just repeated what EVERYONE ELSE was talking about, and going by the linked source.

You might want to scroll back and reread everything in this thread and all the other threads, and come out of your cave and pay more attention, etc, more often, before you go on your PROVE IT post, as this is about the 2,3 time semi almost semi recently(tho you won't remember) that you have done this.

A link was posted to either a Seattle Times, or some other credible source in 1 of the most, more recent threads about how Gueye, and Efe, were either offered about 200k to 250k NIL DEALS by boosters, unofficial recruiters, etc, if they decided to go-to those big time colleges, whose boosters legally offered that(It's legal, ok with the rules for boosters to offer a NIL DEAL(Money for their name, image, likeness, being used in Ads, etc), to recruits, if said recruits choose to go-to a college)(A booster can basically say "If you goto XYZ college, then if you also help sell my cars, with your NIL, etc, I will pay you(Insert amount), an or that according to some recruiters, boosters, scouts, etc, of a lot of big time colleges, that Efe, Gueye we're worth about 200k to 250k NIL DEALS, according to the general consensus of the market place, credible sources, and that if Efe, Gueye were to go-to their college, that's what Efe, Gueye would get.

This was linked, posted in 1 of the threads, then discussed, talked about. Which is why people here were upset, sounded upset, etc, that the reason why Efe, Gueye were thinking about transferring were either those specific deals, or being told that that's what they were worth, would be offered, would get.

I just repeated what EVERYONE ELSE was talking about, and going by the linked source.

You might want to scroll back and reread everything in this thread and all the other threads, and come out of your cave and pay more attention, etc, more often, before you go on your PROVE IT post, as this is about the 2,3 time semi almost semi recently(tho you won't remember) that you have done this.

Also this is part of why QB Cam Ward, chose WSU, because a WSU group, consisting of ex players, ex coaches, boosters, fans, etc, offered Cam about a $100k to 150k NIL DEAL to do work, stories on Brand X, engage with posters there, help sell cars and trucks for a local dealer, via use of his NIL, some ADS, commercials, on TV, Radio, writing guest stories for a local newspaper, and would get in return for that work, use of his NIL, the about 100k to 150k, and a about 50k value Black Colored TRUCK,(Pictured in the news story about this, that), IF he decided to go-to WSU.

What WSU's boosters, Fans did to incarnate word(Where Cam Ward is from) is SIMILAR, pretty much almost same as what other college's fans, boosters, etc, are doing to try to get Efe, Gueye, VIA NIL.

Those 8 points in a game, and all the other stats, etc, vs NBA G league players, NBA players, G league try out camp players, is still ok, semi good, not bad, etc.

And that would equate to about 2,3,4 ppg, etc at the NBA regular season level.

Also Dennis Rodman, and Jim McIlvaine(7 footer, sonics, co starter, situational starter, 6,7,8th man off the bench, about 26 minutes per game), didn't score that much, and Jim didn't rebound that well(was pretty much just another rim protector)

So Gueye's stats weren't bad. And he might have done better if it wasn't so guard driven, and if they had given him the ball, when he was open, and also stats aren't everything.

It's also obvious that he has NBA freak athleticism, NBA talent, skill, BUT ALSO RAW, is confused by speed of game, does not know what he is doing, needs development.

It's obvious that he needs 1,2 more years in college with the right team, coach, etc.

It's obvious why college recruiters, boosters, etc, offered him about a 250k NIL Deal, want him to transfer to their team.

It's obvious why NBA draft room com and others projected him as a lottery pick.

Also remember that he only just finished his freshman year, and is only 18,19 years old.

Also he is AHEAD of where James Donaldson(About 7 footer that played for WSU's Raveling, that got drafted, had a 10 year NBA Career), was at in James Donaldson freshman year or at the end of his freshman year.

Also if there had been a G League back then(There kind of was with the CBA starting up), James Donaldson would have done a LOT WORSE then Gueye did, if he James Donaldson had tried to play in a G league, if it had existed, at the end of his freshman year.

It's obvious that Gueye probably will be drafted as a 1st round pick, 1,2 years from now, assuming that he plays for the right teams, coaches, gets developed, if he works on his game, etc.

That said, I hope he realizes he is not ready yet, and hope he comes back to WSU.
Nearly every freshman big man who has ever come through WSU in my lifetime was better than James Donaldson as a freshman. And that's a credit to James' hard work and development from his sophomore to senior seasons. I was a student at WSU during the Donaldson years. As a frosh, he was splitting his time between varsity and JV (that's back in the day when the Cougars had a JV team). I saw 6'5" post players from Big Bend CC dominate James. So yes, Gueye is way beyond Donaldson at the one-year mark of their Cougar careers. But that really supports your argument for Gueye to come back to college and develop further. If he (or anyone else, for that matter) improves at the rate Donaldson did over the next 1-2 years, he will be an NBA high draft pick.

Glad Cougar

I too was there during the Donaldson years, watching him as a freshman was painful at times, his hands were terrible, couldn't catch the ball, outside of a dunk he had no shot, but a 7 feet he could plug up the middle, that was it in year 1. George did a great job of turning Donaldson into a basketball player, I believe he had only played 1 year of high school basketball so he was very raw when he came to WSU. Credit Raveling for turning him into an NBA player in 4 years, along with Donaldson's work ethic, Donaldson had no NBA potential in year one.

Mikalas please read the NIL rules and decide for yourself if what you are describing is legal or not. Not going to say such things won’t happen behind the scenes but it is a clear NCAA violation.

Mikalas I might have to eat crow on this! I read more about Cam Ward and while I still say it’s a clear violation, it does seem to be openly happening.

This is from CBS writer Denis Dodd, not sure NCAA has the teeth to scare anybody anymore.

If boosters are found to have collaborated with a program to use NIL benefits as an incentive to lure prospects to the school, the penalties could be severe, Smith said. Options include cutting scholarships, instituting recruiting restrictions and hitting programs and perhaps coaches with lack of institutional control penalties. Those are punishments associated with Level I violations.

“The booster [penalty] is disassociation, primarily,” Smith said, “but the schools, if they’re culpable ,that’s when you can go deep.”

Last edited:
Mikalas please read the NIL rules and decide for yourself if what you are describing is legal or not. Not going to say such things won’t happen behind the scenes but it is a clear NCAA violation.

Mikalas I might have to eat crow on this! I read more about Cam Ward and while I still say it’s a clear violation, it does seem to be openly happening.

This is from CBS writer Denis Dodd, not sure NCAA has the teeth to scare anybody anymore.

If boosters are found to have collaborated with a program to use NIL benefits as an incentive to lure prospects to the school, the penalties could be severe, Smith said. Options include cutting scholarships, instituting recruiting restrictions and hitting programs and perhaps coaches with lack of institutional control penalties. Those are punishments associated with Level I violations.

“The booster [penalty] is disassociation, primarily,” Smith said, “but the schools, if they’re culpable ,that’s when you can go deep.”

Good Luck trying to prove it, and even if they did, schools, players would goto court over it, because they can say that they legitly gave NIL money to a Star player for that player legitly using his NIL in ads, etc, to help sell a legit product, service such as a cars, trucks, etc. And they can have plausible deniability that they did that legit deal as specific pay to play.

As I said, good luck proving it, and good luck, when players, colleges, boosters, fans, etc, take the NCAA, or conferences, colleges, etc, to court over this.

The NCAA, etc, would easily lose in court, on, about this.

Nice rule in theory, but hard to prove, and very unenforceable, and very risky to end up in court battles that the NCAA would probably lose.

And for the above reasons, while lip service will be given to the rule(s) on, about this, it won't have teeth, and won't be enforced, and will only be enforced in the most clear cut egregious cases involving a Texas type, an or colleges with history of breaking these kind of rules.

Game 2 Stats for Gueye were basically the same as first game. 8 points 1 rebound 2 fouls 1 turnover 1 steal. 3 of 4 from the line in both games so hopefully he solved that problem.

7 of the 44 G-League elite camp participants were selected to participate in the NBA combine. Gueye was not selected which makes his chance of getting drafted this year almost nonexistent. Plus with 2 less second round picks this year due to sanctions, I would say Gueye will be in college next year. Starting to think we have a decent chance to get Efe back maybe Gueye returns also but I’m not as confident for some reason.

Gueye returning seemed more likely than Efe when the potential return talk started. Smith's comment about Efe was interesting though. Something about not being sure how he would do making new connections at another program. At the time that made me wonder if tUW was a stronger possibility with Noah already there but of course they aren't on his final list. Efe's been in Pullman longer and that might tug at him when it comes down to a decision.

I thought Diongue signing gave us a better chance of Gueye coming back. Has there been anything on Roberts taking visits anywhere?

If we can get 1 of Efe or Gueye that would be huge. I'm still not holding my breath on any of the 3 returning. Since the end of the season it's been wait and see until things start to settle.

Reactions: Coug4life34
Gueye returning seemed more likely than Efe when the potential return talk started. Smith's comment about Efe was interesting though. Something about not being sure how he would do making new connections at another program. At the time that made me wonder if tUW was a stronger possibility with Noah already there but of course they aren't on his final list. Efe's been in Pullman longer and that might tug at him when it comes down to a decision.

I thought Diongue signing gave us a better chance of Gueye coming back. Has there been anything on Roberts taking visits anywhere?

If we can get 1 of Efe or Gueye that would be huge. I'm still not holding my breath on any of the 3 returning. Since the end of the season it's been wait and see until things start to settle.
Getting one of the big guys plus Roberts back makes the off season pretty much a wash. Even with Roberts it would be good to have another point guard.

ADVERTISEMENT