ADVERTISEMENT

Gueye

Yeah, 0-7, 4 fouls, 4 turnovers. Not exactly what you want.

Da Silva 11-12 FG, 4-4 FT killing us.

I am getting tired of losing games like this. Gueye is not ready for the NBA but I'm sure some agents will convince him otherwise.
Without Jackson we really have no inside game and thus other teams can pressure us outside. As we have discussed before we really don't have anybody who is really good enough at driving to the hoop and scaring the other team. Bamba had a good 2nd half but he isn't near a good enough ball handler or finisher to consistently get it done.
One last complaint. We seemed to be in a 2-2 zone with Bamba on the ball in the last possession. Their big guy comes out and sets a high pick on Bamba. As their guy comes off the screen, Powell doesn't even make a move to close out on the guy. He basically stood there and successfully guarded an empty zone. I really don't get it. If Powell closes on the guy you turn a 50% shooter into a 25% shooter at best.

I am getting tired of losing games like this. Gueye is not ready for the NBA but I'm sure some agents will convince him otherwise.
Without Jackson we really have no inside game and thus other teams can pressure us outside. As we have discussed before we really don't have anybody who is really good enough at driving to the hoop and scaring the other team. Bamba had a good 2nd half but he isn't near a good enough ball handler or finisher to consistently get it done.
One last complaint. We seemed to be in a 2-2 zone with Bamba on the ball in the last possession. Their big guy comes out and sets a high pick on Bamba. As their guy comes off the screen, Powell doesn't even make a move to close out on the guy. He basically stood there and successfully guarded an empty zone. I really don't get it. If Powell closes on the guy you turn a 50% shooter into a 25% shooter at best.
I guess coach said Gueye has a bad hammy, still no excuse. I can live with the last play, they where only 1-6 from 3 before that.

Watched the last play a few times. When CU starts to run their play, Powell was moving to his man who was close to the sideline hash. Didn't come to help, but probably shouldn't have left his man?

Bamba probably should have gone over the screen. There was enough room (although these refs might have sent CU to the line if there was any contact). However, the screener comes to set the screen on Bamba. Simmons dribbles a few feet away from the screener. Bamba goes under, screener jumps in front of Bamba to reset the screen, and CU gets the clean look.

Pretty sure they call that a moving screen.

We didn't deserve to win, not sure CU did either though.

I agree with most of what you said, especially about Gueye not being ready YET, and on Powell or Bamba or whoever giving up that 3 at the end.

But what you said about BAMBA WAS FLAT OUT WRONG.

Bamba was good at driving, finishing at rim, scoring at rim, in both first half, 2nd half, in CLUTCH spots, and in CRUNCH time.

There was about 6,7,8 times that Bamba SUCCESSFULLY drove, finished, scored at rim successfully. And he slashed, attacked basket at least 10+ times, and only missed about 2,3,4,5 times, and made about 6,7,8 times, and even the times he missed, he still beat both his guy, and or defense, and almost scored, just barely missed, etc.

And Bamba had about 17,18,19 points from almost just driving alone. If Bamba would have hit 3's, freethrows, Bamba would have had 25 to 30 points, instead of 17,18,19 points.

Bamba was a GOTO Scorer in that game. If it had not been for Bamba, WSU would have lost by 9 to 13.

Now where Bamba did do bad, struggled, not as good, etc, is Bamba shot TERRIBLE from 3, and from freethrow line, and his double team, foul at, near half court line, with 1 point lead, at, near the end of game, giving the lead back to Colorado, WAS TERRIBLY BAD.

But part of that is that this was Bamba's FIRST game back from injury, and he wasn't fully recovered yet, and his hand was still SEMI somewhat semi injured, and he was semi rusty, etc, and despite that he still GUTTED IT OUT, and was still a SUCCESSFUL GOTO DRIVER, SCORER INSIDE.

Last edited:
Bamba is our go to scorer but it’s not a role he is especially comfortable with or all that good at. He has the skill to pull it off on occasion but it’s not his natural role. His ball handling leaves a lot to be desired for a player in that role. If he explodes past a defender he’s fine but creating off the dribble is a weakness of his.

Reactions: Coug-Vandal
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT