ADVERTISEMENT

Helton fired

I wonder what that means for this Saturday? Will the old staff prep for the game? Or are they cleaning out their lockers along with Helton?

In general, this is a shame. I was hoping to keep Helton there as long as possible.

And I suspect the timing was driven by the Ducks win. SC can't stand being an afterthought, and at this point that is exactly what they are...

Reactions: random soul
I wonder what that means for this Saturday? Will the old staff prep for the game? Or are they cleaning out their lockers along with Helton?

In general, this is a shame. I was hoping to keep Helton there as long as possible.

And I suspect the timing was driven by the Ducks win. SC can't stand being an afterthought, and at this point that is exactly what they are...

I mean, they have to be keeping the rest of the staff in place and just promoting someone to interim. They're not going to go the rest of the season with no coaches and/or guys off the street.

I agree with the above, let's s-can Rolo and hire Harrell!

Somewhat surprised, but the way the phone calls were comin into the emergency tunnel vision cast last night I guess things finally got the Admin to move. Who will be the interim is the question now ?

Donte Williams is interim. They’ve already changed their website.

Tunnel vision had caller in with interesting question : is the bloom off the rose, with respect to Harrell ?
The 3 commented that initially, Harrell could do no wrong and was the 2nd coming of you know who, as far as all the condoms were concerned. Now - his luster has faded as he has strayed away from a " true " whatever the **** that is, implementation of the air raid. So now, be careful what you wish for Cougs !

So they promoted the recruiter to interim HC in order to salvage the recruiting class. OK. Does that mean that the OC and DC simply call their own shots for the rest of the season?

Thinking about Saturday, it is a road game, so they are already short on prep time for our game. Now they have all this distraction. I have no idea what we will see on Saturday, but I suspect that we were just handed a gift. Not a huge gift, perhaps, but something.

The more I think about it, the more I see the timing as relating to a big loss to Stanford, the Eugene people beating Ohio State, and their AD thinking that with WSU and OSU as the next two games (followed by Colorado), there was no better time than the present to act.

I'd love to see behind the curtain as USC "approaches" the HC's of other programs this early in the season. Somebody may end up stepping in s**t.

So they promoted the recruiter to interim HC in order to salvage the recruiting class. OK. Does that mean that the OC and DC simply call their own shots for the rest of the season?

Thinking about Saturday, it is a road game, so they are already short on prep time for our game. Now they have all this distraction. I have no idea what we will see on Saturday, but I suspect that we were just handed a gift. Not a huge gift, perhaps, but something.

The more I think about it, the more I see the timing as relating to a big loss to Stanford, the Eugene people beating Ohio State, and their AD thinking that with WSU and OSU as the next two games (followed by Colorado), there was no better time than the present to act.

I'd love to see behind the curtain as USC "approaches" the HC's of other programs this early in the season. Somebody may end up stepping in s**t.
An investment of $315 million into the coliseum and watching Chip run all over LSU must weigh into this early firing.

Good lesson in ripping off the bandaid they should have canned him 2 years ago.
On a side note no better timing to kick their ass and then poach their recruits.

Reactions: cr8zyncalif
Would have to go back and look at some prior situations, but IIRC, teams usually play pretty well under interim coaches in the first game out, at least. Lights a fire under the team and stops them from going through the motions. I especially would think that is true when the team is talented, the coach is lame (so not fired for off-field stuff, etc.), and it happens early in the week so it isn't a huge distraction closer to game time. We all know this isn't good long-term news for the Cougs, but it may not be good short-term news, either.

Reactions: KRUSTYtheCOUG
Would have to go back and look at some prior situations, but IIRC, teams usually play pretty well under interim coaches in the first game out, at least. Lights a fire under the team and stops them from going through the motions. I especially would think that is true when the team is talented, the coach is lame (so not fired for off-field stuff, etc.), and it happens early in the week so it isn't a huge distraction closer to game time. We all know this isn't good long-term news for the Cougs, but it may not be good short-term news, either.
sc responded to Orgeron, and many believe he should have been made the HC @ the time.
He did have sc history working for him, not certain what Williams brings as a rallying cry.

I mean, they have to be keeping the rest of the staff in place and just promoting someone to interim. They're not going to go the rest of the season with no coaches and/or guys off the street.

I like Harrell...but his offense hasn't been exactly lighting it up. They only put up 28 against Stanford

Williams was already associate head coach, so I think it was a no-brainer. They'd set up the move previously.

Teams who can the coach often come out pretty motivated in their next game. It removes the grey cloud from the program, at least temporarily, and gives them some certainty and continuity (even though most of the staff are now probably dead men walking).

Surprised he didn't get fired a couple of years ago as well, but at least it shows that there is still a little bit of latitude given to coaches who are widely regarded to be good people.

Seemed like everything I read about Helton's ability as a coach was negative, but in the same articles, the writers would make a point of mentioning what a great guy he is.

I hate the idea of Petersen in USC. The only thing worse would be Pete back in USC.

But, I'm hoping that Petersen hates the idea too. These give me that hope:

both sides feeling like they wouldn’t fit

he was living in a different mindset when he was an active coach, and he is glad he no longer inhabits that thought world now
Urban Meyer went through a similar process when he "retired". The thing is, SC is not good at spotting the next Urban Meyer or the next Peterson. They only got Pete Carroll because others turned them down. I agree. Bohn will want full CYA by hiring a big name. And the Pete Kelly across town factor will further fuel that tendency.

Urban Meyer went through a similar process when he "retired". The thing is, SC is not good at spotting the next Urban Meyer or the next Peterson. They only got Pete Carroll because others turned them down. I agree. Bohn will want full CYA by hiring a big name. And the Pete Kelly across town factor will further fuel that tendency.
They’ve been in pain long enough they will take their time and make a splash hire.

Hire back Grinch and Harrell. They both make a little more than a million. Hiring then both at close to $2mil each.

And UCLA is looking legit

Good lesson in ripping off the bandaid they should have canned him 2 years ago.
On a side note no better timing to kick their ass and then poach their recruits.
We’re not poaching any of SC’s recruits. Heck, they could just not hire a coach at all and we wouldn’t end up with any of their recruits.

Reactions: OrangeGravy
ADVERTISEMENT