ADVERTISEMENT

Hiring DC/OC?

chugspig

Hall Of Fame
Nov 5, 2011
Anyone heard anything at all. People I know near program know nothing at the moment. Anyone else? Other programs have fired/hired head coaches and filled out staffs before we have even heard a DC name. Is Dickert that good at keeping things under wraps? Is he just putting it on the back burner until after the bowl and signing day? Seems like it would be good to have names for recruiting purposes. Just curious if anyone else had heard any credible info?

Anyone heard anything at all. People I know near program know nothing at the moment. Anyone else? Other programs have fired/hired head coaches and filled out staffs before we have even heard a DC name. Is Dickert that good at keeping things under wraps? Is he just putting it on the back burner until after the bowl and signing day? Seems like it would be good to have names for recruiting purposes. Just curious if anyone else had heard any credible info?
No info. Maybe he's waiting on people who are prepping for bowls and/or the FCS playoff? Or maybe his list of contacts just isn't long enough to have many good options.

Looking at the landscape, I see some guys who are interesting...but the majority of them I don't see coming, and if they come, they're gone in a year or two.

No info. Maybe he's waiting on people who are prepping for bowls and/or the FCS playoff? Or maybe his list of contacts just isn't long enough to have many good options.

Looking at the landscape, I see some guys who are interesting...but the majority of them I don't see coming, and if they come, they're gone in a year or two.
In the case of waiting, why are we always waiting for guys, while other teams hire our dudes up before signing day and bowl games? Is Dickert just that nice?

Why are we waiting? it's only been a week or less, first of all the teams that hired our coaches have been looking for a while longer. Secondly Dickert is not one to rush decisions, he is more deliberate, and I assume he has talked to several people. I am sure he has a plan, we just don't know it right now. Maybe he has offered someone and they are thinking about it right now. Announcing before a bowl game doesn't help much as I am sure whoever the OC or DC is they may want to bring people with them as part of the deal. I would imagine we hear so news next week.

Why are we waiting? it's only been a week or less, first of all the teams that hired our coaches have been looking for a while longer. Secondly Dickert is not one to rush decisions, he is more deliberate, and I assume he has talked to several people. I am sure he has a plan, we just don't know it right now. Maybe he has offered someone and they are thinking about it right now. Announcing before a bowl game doesn't help much as I am sure whoever the OC or DC is they may want to bring people with them as part of the deal. I would imagine we hear so news next week.
Ward was hired by ASU on the 3rd.

He better not slow walk this much longer. He has limited connections on offense. His D connections are all from the North Dakota St/ South Dakota St/ Wyoming/Minnesota Mankato pipelines. Lol. We've already lost Leavitt and a few kids that were close to verbally went elsewhere. Wasn't a huge playcalling fan of Morris, but he was our best recruiter. Second best recruiter was prob Trenton Greene our D Analyst. Recruiting front is not going so hot right now.

New strength coach is Ben Iannacchione from Akron. Was strength coach in the past at....you guessed it.....Wyoming.

In the case of waiting, why are we always waiting for guys, while other teams hire our dudes up before signing day and bowl games? Is Dickert just that nice?
His hands also might be tied by WSU. Some version of 'we can't announce until the ink is dry.' And, if the new guy wants to coach his old team in their bowl, those two factors will mean we can't announce until it's over.

Just speculation.

He better not slow walk this much longer. He has limited connections on offense. His D connections are all from the North Dakota St/ South Dakota St/ Wyoming/Minnesota Mankato pipelines. Lol. We've already lost Leavitt and a few kids that were close to verbally went elsewhere. Wasn't a huge playcalling fan of Morris, but he was our best recruiter. Second best recruiter was prob Trenton Greene our D Analyst. Recruiting front is not going so hot right now.

He has connections similar to Paul Wulff. If he were smart he’d call Saban and ask for suggestions.

Reactions: justinbgocougs
Is 1 player a large enough sample size to decide if the strength coach is good or not?
I'd say the strength & conditioning of the Wyoming team is the necessary sample. Josh Allen has been gone a couple years so is irrelevant.

I haven't seen them this year, but they were 7-5 in the MWC so that doesn't seem terribly encouraging. Then again, for Wyoming, that's not a bad season.

I'd say the strength & conditioning of the Wyoming team is the necessary sample. Josh Allen has been gone a couple years so is irrelevant.

I haven't seen them this year, but they were 7-5 in the MWC so that doesn't seem terribly encouraging. Then again, for Wyoming, that's not a bad season.

You can’t be a development program if you only have 4 kids finish their eligibility. You need a strength coach that can get kids as strong and fast as possible as quickly as possible.

He should have hired the guy from Garage Strength in Pennsylvania.

Dickert has already screwed up his coordinator hires out of the gate. Now this? If you are a young HC and don’t have a large network to draw from and you don’t have experience hiring, you call Saban and ask him. You are a Power 5 head coach. Get someone on the phone that has a large network, someone that has experience hiring coaches and you ask them.

Hiring from Wyoming? Or North Dakota State? Or Incarnate Word? Or Nevada Reno?

Nope.

I wouldn’t mind drawing some guys from Oregon State. Their staff has been org there for years and would bring over some quality experience. Jim Michalczik would be interesting.

Reactions: BiggsCoug
I wouldn’t mind drawing some guys from Oregon State. Their staff has been org there for years and would bring over some quality experience. Jim Michalczik would be interesting.
I don't see how WSU can steal coaches from Pac-12 (or really most P-5) programs. We are not Whoregon.

Reactions: 79COUG
You can’t be a development program if you only have 4 kids finish their eligibility. You need a strength coach that can get kids as strong and fast as possible as quickly as possible.

He should have hired the guy from Garage Strength in Pennsylvania.

Dickert has already screwed up his coordinator hires out of the gate. Now this? If you are a young HC and don’t have a large network to draw from and you don’t have experience hiring, you call Saban and ask him. You are a Power 5 head coach. Get someone on the phone that has a large network, someone that has experience hiring coaches and you ask them.

Hiring from Wyoming? Or North Dakota State? Or Incarnate Word? Or Nevada Reno?

Nope.
He didn't screw up the hires. Both were though of enough to get promotions.

One thing that surprised me is when Coach Leach passed, Dickert had said he never had the opportunity to meet him, but meant a lot to people in the program that knew him. And I could be very wrong, but for some reason I got the impression he had never spoken to him either. I would have thought that he would have at least tried to call him, I know Leach would have called him back, because that's the way he is. Also if you are looking to run the Air Raid or a version there of, call the guy that started it all and coached at the program you are now coaching. Like I said I could be wrong, maybe he had conversations with CML, just the impression I got.

He has connections similar to Paul Wulff. If he were smart he’d call Saban and ask for suggestions.
Except Wulff never coached FBS prior to arriving at WSU. At least Dickert had a couple of years at Wyoming and a couple more so far in Pullman. Wulff brought nearly his entire staff from Cheney. Dickert's assistants have all come from or have experience at FBS schools.

I'm sort of intrigued by Montana State HC Brett Vigen, who was OC at Wyoming and North Dakota State before getting a head job in Bozeman. I can see him taking the WSU job after the Bobcats finish their season. They were FCS national champion runner up last year and back in the semi's this weekend. One drawback– I don't think he runs any version of the Air Raid, but I'm not sure.

Glad Cougar

I like Oklahoma State's staff too...but they're not coming.

Iannoachione was the strength coach this past year at akron. Kansas the prior year. Wyoming the previous couple years. He did work w Moffitt at LSU for several years so that's good.

I've been thinking about MSU. I know they're not going to rush, out of respect for what just happened, but I wonder who is going to be on their short list for HC?

Their AD just recently left last month to Auburn, so they have an AD vacancy.....which is really problematic. I feel for their program, and they were just getting going. Very sad.

Dickert just said coordinators in place by mid January. Oooooooooooooooooooooooooof

I've been thinking about MSU. I know they're not going to rush, out of respect for what just happened, but I wonder who is going to be on their short list for HC?

Their AD just recently left last month to Auburn, so they have an AD vacancy.....which is really problematic. I feel for their program, and they were just getting going. Very sad.

Pretty sure they announced their D-Cord is getting a 4yr deal & taking over at Miss St

Reactions: M-I-Coug
There seems to be a higher than normal amount of critical posts on Dickert on here, and I'm not understanding the rationale for that.

I consider myself to be a fairly objective WSU booster, and this season played out where I had hoped that it would back in August. I thought the ceiling was 7-8 wins, which is exactly where we ended up. There were a couple of games that got away late, but we also won at Wisconsin (yea, they were down, but we didn't know that in the preseason). The Apple Cup was a great game and we lost to a much better than anticipated UW team. Look at the top 4 or 5 teams in the P12, and our games vs. them were very competitive.

What's particularly vexing to me is how quickly people have pivoted from their "Dickert won't be able to put together a good staff" comments to dismissing the fact that his top-2 coordinators both received promotions recently; Morris to a head coaching position. Doesn't it signal respect when the inner circles of the coaching world are looking favorably at how Dickert's program is being run?

Our 2023 recruiting class is mostly complete. I believe we have 19 kids verbaled, with another 2-3 on the hook. Dickert said that the hires should be completed no later than January 8th, and media sources have said that the OC/DC candidates are already in place or down to a top-2 candidate list. That sounds like a normal timeline.

We lost Leavitt because we were outbid by NIL dollars. Some kids are now being offered $800K/year plus signing bonuses. That's not something that Dickert can overcome. I saw that we already have an offer extended to another high school QB out of California, which indicates to me that the coaches have their recruiting pipeline structured appropriately.

Sorry for the long message. It's a slow day at work. I'm just not seeing the red flags about Dickert and our program that some of you are propagating.

Last edited:
Every time I see this headline my dyslexia reads hiring AC/DC. I think they stopped touring when Malcolm died?

We lost Mateer because we were outbid by NIL dollars. Some kids are now being offered $800K/year plus signing bonuses. That's not something that Dickert can overcome. I saw that we already have an offer extended to another high school QB out of California, which indicates to me that the coaches have their recruiting pipeline structured appropriately.

Sorry for the long message. It's a slow day at work. I'm just not seeing the red flags about Dickert and our program that some of you are propagating.
Ummm.... When did this happen?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT