ADVERTISEMENT

Hiring DC/OC?

There seems to be a higher than normal amount of critical posts on Dickert on here, and I'm not understanding the rationale for that.

I consider myself to be a fairly objective WSU booster, and this season played out where I had hoped that it would back in August. I thought the ceiling was 7-8 wins, which is exactly where we ended up. There were a couple of games that got away late, but we also won at Wisconsin (yea, they were down, but we didn't know that in the preseason). The Apple Cup was a great game and we lost to a much better than anticipated UW team. Look at the top 4 or 5 teams in the P12, and our games vs. them were very competitive.

What's particularly vexing to me is how quickly people have pivoted from their "Dickert won't be able to put together a good staff" comments to dismissing the fact that his top-2 coordinators both received promotions recently; Morris to a head coaching position. Doesn't it signal respect when the inner circles of the coaching world when are looking favorably at how Dickert's program is being run?

Our 2023 recruiting class is mostly complete. I believe we have 19 kids verbaled, with another 2-3 on the hook. Dickert said that the hires should be completed no later than January 8th, and media sources have said that the OC/DC candidates are already in place or down to a top-2 candidate list. That sounds like a normal timeline.

We lost Mateer because we were outbid by NIL dollars. Some kids are now being offered $800K/year plus signing bonuses. That's not something that Dickert can overcome. I saw that we already have an offer extended to another high school QB out of California, which indicates to me that the coaches have their recruiting pipeline structured appropriately.

Sorry for the long message. It's a slow day at work. I'm just not seeing the red flags about Dickert and our program that some of you are propagating.
We lost Mateer? Not surprising, but this is news to me.

If this is true, this is going to be hard to stay positive.

There seems to be a higher than normal amount of critical posts on Dickert on here, and I'm not understanding the rationale for that.

I consider myself to be a fairly objective WSU booster, and this season played out where I had hoped that it would back in August. I thought the ceiling was 7-8 wins, which is exactly where we ended up. There were a couple of games that got away late, but we also won at Wisconsin (yea, they were down, but we didn't know that in the preseason). The Apple Cup was a great game and we lost to a much better than anticipated UW team. Look at the top 4 or 5 teams in the P12, and our games vs. them were very competitive.

What's particularly vexing to me is how quickly people have pivoted from their "Dickert won't be able to put together a good staff" comments to dismissing the fact that his top-2 coordinators both received promotions recently; Morris to a head coaching position. Doesn't it signal respect when the inner circles of the coaching world when are looking favorably at how Dickert's program is being run?

Our 2023 recruiting class is mostly complete. I believe we have 19 kids verbaled, with another 2-3 on the hook. Dickert said that the hires should be completed no later than January 8th, and media sources have said that the OC/DC candidates are already in place or down to a top-2 candidate list. That sounds like a normal timeline.

We lost Mateer because we were outbid by NIL dollars. Some kids are now being offered $800K/year plus signing bonuses. That's not something that Dickert can overcome. I saw that we already have an offer extended to another high school QB out of California, which indicates to me that the coaches have their recruiting pipeline structured appropriately.

Sorry for the long message. It's a slow day at work. I'm just not seeing the red flags about Dickert and our program that some of you are propagating.
I don't mean to trash Dickert and don't believe anyone should right now in view of the incomplete info we have.

That said, I don't think we've lost Mateer (you probably meant Leavitt) and Ward didn't get a promotion. Lateral move to ASU, but he went home. Dillingham is building a pretty great staff there, BTW.

We lost Leavitt because we were outbid by NIL dollars. Some kids are now being offered $800K/year plus signing bonuses. That's not something that Dickert can overcome. I saw that we already have an offer extended to another high school QB out of California, which indicates to me that the coaches have their recruiting pipeline structured appropriately.

Sensible, reasonable, rational post. Taihtsat

Every time I see this headline my dyslexia reads hiring AC/DC. I think they stopped touring when Malcolm died?
Brian quit, Malcolm died, Angus doesn’t have the heart to play without him. They’re all in their 60s with a lot of hard miles behind them, and everyone knows it’s only a matter of time before Axl turns into a diva and refuses to go onstage. Yeah…they’re done.

Brian quit, Malcolm died, Angus doesn’t have the heart to play without him. They’re all in their 60s with a lot of hard miles behind them, and everyone knows it’s only a matter of time before Axl turns into a diva and refuses to go onstage. Yeah…they’re done.
I did get to see them in the late 80s in the old Spokane Coliseum so my bucket list has been satisfied.

Pretending that GNR was really GNR without Slash's....well, pretending. Wasn't there a riot back in the day when Axl refused to take the stage?

I swear... UCLA is going to remain 4 through 7 wins. Maybe an 8 on Leap Year.

The # of times they get 30-pointed will sky rocket.

They will look "even more less than" fusc than before

What's particularly vexing to me is how quickly people have pivoted from their "Dickert won't be able to put together a good staff" comments to dismissing the fact that his top-2 coordinators both received promotions recently; Morris to a head coaching position. Doesn't it signal respect when the inner circles of the coaching world are looking favorably at how Dickert's program is being run?

We lost Leavitt because we were outbid by NIL dollars. Some kids are now being offered $800K/year plus signing bonuses. That's not something that Dickert can overcome. I saw that we already have an offer extended to another high school QB out of California, which indicates to me that the coaches have their recruiting pipeline structured appropriately.

I'm with Patrol on this. Something that is always hard for any leader to learn to accept and work around is the idea that you can only control what you can control. A lot of "stuff" happens over which you have no control, but which will have either a direct or indirect (or both) impact on you and what you are trying to accomplish. The combination of the portal and the NIL bribery (which apparently extends to parents, relatives and even close friends...anyone with influence) means that a lot of "stuff" will happen...continuously, and right up to the end of every deadline (recruiting or otherwise)...that will impact the plans that were in place up to that point.

Just how many contingency plans can a program have? Sure, you have to plan for surprises, but there are obvious limits to that. I also agree that both coordinators were probably told that they have another year to get the failures fixed, so the idea that they might jump with a good offer was probably one of those things for which there was a contingency plan. HS recruiting, on the other hand, is a sh*t show right up until the deadline. Every program needs a contingency list at every position. It has always been that way to a certain extent, but the NIL bribery has put that situation onto steroids.

At this point it appears to me that CJD is doing reasonably well. We will be competitive next year. Coordinators will be named within the next month. The fact that Jan 8 has been thrown around as an announcement date suggests that both candidates are currently working and want to fill out a bowl game before announcing. Pretty much exactly as expected, given the way events have unfolded.

All is well. Stay away from the ledge.

Reactions: KRUSTYtheCOUG
Pretending that GNR was really GNR without Slash's....well, pretending. Wasn't there a riot back in the day when Axl refused to take the stage?

1992. See link below. Metallica's Hetfield got torched (literally) on stage, Axl - a complete POS in my book - could have been the hero but instead was a dips#it.

1992. See link below. Metallica's Hetfield got torched (literally) on stage, Axl - a complete POS in my book - could have been the hero but instead was a dips#it.

After all that...AX claimed that GNR was his band.

I'm with Patrol on this. Something that is always hard for any leader to learn to accept and work around is the idea that you can only control what you can control. A lot of "stuff" happens over which you have no control, but which will have either a direct or indirect (or both) impact on you and what you are trying to accomplish. The combination of the portal and the NIL bribery (which apparently extends to parents, relatives and even close friends...anyone with influence) means that a lot of "stuff" will happen...continuously, and right up to the end of every deadline (recruiting or otherwise)...that will impact the plans that were in place up to that point.

Just how many contingency plans can a program have? Sure, you have to plan for surprises, but there are obvious limits to that. I also agree that both coordinators were probably told that they have another year to get the failures fixed, so the idea that they might jump with a good offer was probably one of those things for which there was a contingency plan. HS recruiting, on the other hand, is a sh*t show right up until the deadline. Every program needs a contingency list at every position. It has always been that way to a certain extent, but the NIL bribery has put that situation onto steroids.

At this point it appears to me that CJD is doing reasonably well. We will be competitive next year. Coordinators will be named within the next month. The fact that Jan 8 has been thrown around as an announcement date suggests that both candidates are currently working and want to fill out a bowl game before announcing. Pretty much exactly as expected, given the way events have unfolded.

All is well. Stay away from the ledge.

Will we see….

1) Buyout clauses in NIL deals.
2) Multi year LOI’s that are binding contracts.
3) No signing date, but a signing period. No more waiting until a specific date to sign a LOI. The player can sign at any time during a specific time frame. Ending the poaching that goes on with verbal commitments, also securing their spot and avoiding being dumped at the last minute.
4) NIL deals presented to current school by potential school so current school can match or better.

Will we see….

3) No signing date, but a signing period. No more waiting until a specific date to sign a LOI. The player can sign at any time during a specific time frame. Ending the poaching that goes on with verbal commitments, also securing their spot and avoiding being dumped at the last minute.
4) NIL deals presented to current school by potential school so current school can match or better.
I like No. 3. What’s the point of a specific date anyhow?

I like No. 3. What’s the point of a specific date anyhow?

I believe there are some kids that use their verbal commitment to gain more attention. They may be lukewarm on the school they’ve verballed too, maybe they have only verballed to hold their spot while waiting for more offers? But if a coach can slide the LOI in front of them right then, you find out where you stand right away. No more games. Sign or we find someone else.

No more flip flop. No more holding out. No more 11th hour decommits. Sign the paper or we find someone else.

What's particularly vexing to me is how quickly people have pivoted from their "Dickert won't be able to put together a good staff" comments to dismissing the fact that his top-2 coordinators both received promotions recently; Morris to a head coaching position. Doesn't it signal respect when the inner circles of the coaching world are looking favorably at how Dickert's program is being run?

Agree with almost all your saying about Dickert.

Morris, isn't, wasn't good. And I am glad that he is leaving.

Morris was a extremely bad PLAYCALLER, except in the RedZone. And he would stop running successful running plays. And he didn't run the damn ball. And he had way the EFFIN hell to many screens, sideline swing passes, etc, that most of the time went for between NO GAIN, 1 YARD GAIN, -4 YARD LOSS.

The ONLY thing Morris had, has going for him is that he did a good job in Red Zone(Just getting to Red Zone was the problem), Had 7 wins(Because of DC, Dickert, etc, NOT MORRIS), to make Morris look good, and that he was a good recruiter, and that if he Morris left, players might probably leave, and that DESPITE MORRIS'S MANY PROBLEMS, WSU was, is still likely to win 8,9,10,11 games(which also would have not been because of Morris, but rather despite Morris), and that would have made Morris look good.

The problem for Morris, tho, is that in 1,2,3,4 years, there would have been about a, the 50% chance that he would have eventually been fired from, at WSU.

The writing was on the wall, and he Morris could see it. That is why Morris was looking for another job, to get out of dodge, when, while the getting, leaving was good for him.

The reason why Morris has gotten a lot of looks from FCS, FBS, P5, Mid Major teams, is because those teams are not good programs, and do not have good AD's, and do not have the time, money, resources, etc, to do a DEEP SCOUR BENEATH THE SURFACE SEARCH, CHECK, ETC, OF MORRIS.

And because of that they wrongly think Morris is great. And Morris appears great ON THE SURFACE. But if you DIG beneath the surface of Morris at WSU, you discover that there are, were some real problems with Morris, and that he is a BIG RISK.

Morris left WSU at the right time.

Morris might get better, learn, improve, be awesome, etc, in the future. In fact I think he will be great, awesome in the future.

It's just that Morris won't have to learn, continue to make costly mistakes, and learn from those, on WSU's dime anymore.

Will we see….

I wonder if schools can implement some type of policy that if you opt out of a bowl game because you're training for the NFL, etc. the player must repay that scholarship back. They didn't finish the season.

The players are free to leave if they want, but the university shouldn't have to be on the hook for players that quit/opt out early.

People would argue that the player has to take on more risk by playing one more game. Schools that lose a ton of players during bowl season take on risk they're not playing their best across the board, and likely lose money because of it (especially WSU-types).

Agree with almost all your saying about Dickert.

Morris, isn't, wasn't good. And I am glad that he is leaving.

Morris was a extremely bad PLAYCALLER, except in the RedZone. And he would stop running successful running plays. And he didn't run the damn ball. And he had way the EFFIN hell to many screens, sideline swing passes, etc, that most of the time went for between NO GAIN, 1 YARD GAIN, -4 YARD LOSS.

The ONLY thing Morris had, has going for him is that he did a good job in Red Zone(Just getting to Red Zone was the problem), Had 7 wins(Because of DC, Dickert, etc, NOT MORRIS), to make Morris look good, and that he was a good recruiter, and that if he Morris left, players might probably leave, and that DESPITE MORRIS'S MANY PROBLEMS, WSU was, is still likely to win 8,9,10,11 games(which also would have not been because of Morris, but rather despite Morris), and that would have made Morris look good.

The problem for Morris, tho, is that in 1,2,3,4 years, there would have been about a, the 50% chance that he would have eventually been fired from, at WSU.

The writing was on the wall, and he Morris could see it. That is why Morris was looking for another job, to get out of dodge, when, while the getting, leaving was good for him.

The reason why Morris has gotten a lot of looks from FCS, FBS, P5, Mid Major teams, is because those teams are not good programs, and do not have good AD's, and do not have the time, money, resources, etc, to do a DEEP SCOUR BENEATH THE SURFACE SEARCH, CHECK, ETC, OF MORRIS.

And because of that they wrongly think Morris is great. And Morris appears great ON THE SURFACE. But if you DIG beneath the surface of Morris at WSU, you discover that there are, were some real problems with Morris, and that he is a BIG RISK.

Morris left WSU at the right time.

Morris might get better, learn, improve, be awesome, etc, in the future. In fact I think he will be great, awesome in the future.

It's just that Morris won't have to learn, continue to make costly mistakes, and learn from those, on WSU's dime anymore.

Also one of the FCS, Mid Major FBS, PODUNK colleges that he Morris was a finalist for(Top 3), they were going to Hire Morris, and then changed their mind after, because of the interview, which said interview probably exposed some of the problems Morris had at WSU.

That's another example of why you can't or shouldn't use other college's interest in Morris, as why Morris is supposedly a great coach, when he is NOT a great coach, at least not now.

I wonder if schools can implement some type of policy that if you opt out of a bowl game because you're training for the NFL, etc. the player must repay that scholarship back. They didn't finish the season.

The players are free to leave if they want, but the university shouldn't have to be on the hook for players that quit/opt out early.

People would argue that the player has to take on more risk by playing one more game. Schools that lose a ton of players during bowl season take on risk they're not playing their best across the board, and likely lose money because of it (especially WSU-types).

And if the kid blows out his knee and never plays football again will the school write him a check for the NFL contracts he missed out on? Fair is fair right?

Make the kid write the school a check cause he sat out 1 f’ing game? Is there any more sour grapes than that? It’s a ridiculous idea. A better idea would be to not have post season, meaningless games for teams that place 7th in their league.

WSU is not losing any $ if kids sit out. The bowl is going to pay regardless. So that argument holds 0 water.

What if kids had clauses in contracts that said they had to play? Or that they had to start? Or that if the school couldnt coach them into being a draft pick the school pays out $XYZ?

If you want to write performance requirements into players contracts, expect the player to do the same for the school. The days of schools lording over kids with admin and staff creating generational f’ing wealth while kids make $0 and have little control over their careers are over.

It’s time to stop with this idea that kids are somehow failing the school or not holding up their end of the deal by not playing in a meaningless post season game for their 7th place finish. The school has made plenty of money already off their playing career but now the kid has to write the school a check? Get out.

ADVERTISEMENT