ADVERTISEMENT

Holy cow … just read Jerry Henderson

CougEd

Hall Of Fame
Dec 22, 2002
Passed away . He played for wsu in the mid 60’s and later his sons played for wsu in the late 90’s early 2000’s

Met him a couple times when I trekked down to Fife for Cougar club meetings .

What a nice family .

Last edited:
Reactions: M-I-Coug and HCoug
Passed away . He played for wsu in the mid 60’s and later his sons played for wsu in the late 90’s early 2000’s

Met him a couple times when I trekked down to Puyallup for Cougar club meetings .

What a nice family .
Yeah... sucks. Really sucks. Cougar prayers for him and his family/friends.

Met him a couple times when I trekked down to Puyallup for Cougar club meetings .

What a nice family .
Ed,

You just beat me to this. I got the report confirmed late last night and was going to post the news this morning. So sad to hear that Jerry is gone. He and his wife Susan (a lovely lady) were regulars at the Pierce County Cougar Club meetings at Mitzel's for a long time. They were good people, raised a couple great kids who came to our meetings a few times. I remember one meeting with Collin, Patrick, Gesser, and a couple other players IIRC. think it was over the Thanksgiving break week.

Jerry was the Cougs QB before I got interested in them and got to school, so I have no memories of his Cougar playing career. I think he was on the Cardiac Kids, not positive on that. One thing I remember Jerry saying often was that in the SEC if you weren't cheating then you weren't really trying to win.

Another time there was discussion of coaching styles and someone asked about whether folks would want their kid to play for Bobby Knight, a very good coach but someone who had some issues. Susan was kind of horrified and said no way would she want her boys to ever play for Knight. And Jerry of course said "Hell yes!". He knew that Bobby would get the most out of the kids.

Rest in peace, Jerry. It was good to know you and thank you for all your support to the Cougs, especially the baseball program. And best wishes to Susan, may you live in peace. We enjoyed getting to know you back when. And my sympathies go out to Collin and Patrick as well. A great Cougar family........

Edit to add: It was reported from some Pierce County folks that Jerry wasn't feeling well and had gone to the hospital, ended up suffering a heart attack. Just FYI......

Last edited:
Ed,

You just beat me to this. I got the report confirmed late last night and was going to post the news this morning. So sad to hear that Jerry is gone. He and his wife Susan (a lovely lady) were regulars at the Pierce County Cougar Club meetings at Mitzel's for a long time. They were good people, raised a couple great kids who came to our meetings a few times. I remember one meeting with Collin, Patrick, Gesser, and a couple other players IIRC. think it was over the Thanksgiving break week.

Jerry was the Cougs QB before I got interested in them and got to school, so I have no memories of his Cougar playing career. I think he was on the Cardiac Kids, not positive on that. One thing I remember Jerry saying often was that in the SEC if you weren't cheating then you weren't really trying to win.

Another time there was discussion of coaching styles and someone asked about whether folks would want their kid to play for Bobby Knight, a very good coach but someone who had some issues. Susan was kind of horrified and said no way would she want her boys to ever play for Knight. And Jerry of course said "Hell yes!". He knew that Bobby would get the most out of the kids.

Rest in peace, Jerry. It was good to know you and thank you for all your support to the Cougs, especially the baseball program. And best wishes to Susan, may you live in peace. We enjoyed getting to know you back when. And my sympathies go out to Collin and Patrick as well. A great Cougar family........
I was just a kid at the time, but I believe Tom Roth was the QB of the Cardiac Kids, when I started following Cougar football. Jerry Henderson, I believe, was the starter after Roth graduated and was the QB in between Roth and Ty Paine. Not sure, that was more than half a century ago. Nonetheless, my thoughts and prayers are with the Henderson family. Jerry was a great Coug.

Glad Cougar

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT