ADVERTISEMENT

How could we lose to a program like Minnesota? Well....

CougPatrol

Hall Of Fame
Dec 8, 2006
Probably should have posted this BEFORE the game, but here goes. I realize some of you are still too upset to look at things objectively, but for those of you who aren't....

• Since the year 2000, Minnesota has played in 13 bowl games. WSU has played in 6.
  • Since 2006, Minnesota has played in 8 bowl games. WSU has played in 3.
  • Minnesota has won 18 conference titles in their history. WSU has won 4.
  • They've won 7 National Championships, the last in 1960, and have an all time W/L record of 667-500-42. WSU is 500-548-45
  • They have 22 representatives in the College Football Hall of Fame. WSU has 6.
  • Minnesota has 12 active NFL players (including 4 DBs). WSU has 5.

What does this mean? Well, probably that we shouldn't get too carried away with the "how did this happen!!" stuff.

Probably should have posted this BEFORE the game, but here goes. I realize some of you are still too upset to look at things objectively, but for those of you who aren't....

• Since the year 2000, Minnesota has played in 13 bowl games. WSU has played in 6.
  • They've won 7 National Championships, the last in 1960, and have an all time W/L record of 667-500-42. WSU is 500-548-45

What does this mean? Well, probably that we shouldn't get too carried away with the "how did this happen!!" stuff.

None of this matters. This year is what matters. This game day is what matters. National Championships before 1960 have no bearing on this years Holiday Bowl.

Reactions: Full Measures
None of this matters. This year is what matters. This game day is what matters. National Championships before 1960 have no bearing on this years Holiday Bowl.

Agree completely, but our fans are acting like it's a huge disgrace to lose to them. They've been to 8 bowls in 10 years, and have 4 DBs in the NFL. What I saw last night was a team that was significantly more physical on both sides of the ball. Their program is certainly no worse than ours right now.

Agree completely, but our fans are acting like it's a huge disgrace to lose to them. They've been to 8 bowls in 10 years, and have 4 DBs in the NFL. What I saw last night was a team that was significantly more physical on both sides of the ball. Their program is certainly no worse than ours right now.

It is enormously disappointing to lose to this team. Here's why...

You're supposed to be this big time passing offense... They just lost 2 starters and 2 backups in their defensive backfield. This is Minnesota. Not Alabama, not Ohio State, not SC. I don't believe that Minnesota is so deep in their defensive backfield, or has so many reps for their backups, or is so amazingly well coached to overcome those things. Played well? Sure. Well coached? Why not. WSU leave meat on the bone? More likely.

Either Falk or Leach or both has genuinely not figured out how to defeat a 3 or 4 man pressure. Simply mind numbing, to use Leach's words. What makes a mind numbing brain fart and freeze? Having a unanimous 1st Team All American guard and not running the ball on this 3 or 4 man pressure. WSU should be running the ball right up their arse. Nope.

Do you come away from this game feeling like Minnesota got WSU's best shot and effort? Cause I don't.

You're supposed to be this big time passing offense... They just lost 2 starters and 2 backups in their defensive backfield. This is Minnesota. Not Alabama, not Ohio State, not SC. I don't believe that Minnesota is so deep in their defensive backfield, or has so many reps for their backups, or is so amazingly well coached to overcome those things. Played well? Sure. Well coached? Why not. WSU leave meat on the bone? More likely.

Either Falk or Leach or both has genuinely not figured out how to defeat a 3 or 4 man pressure. Simply mind numbing, to use Leach's words. What makes a mind numbing brain fart and freeze? Having a unanimous 1st Team All American guard and not running the ball on this 3 or 4 man pressure. WSU should be running the ball right up their arse. Nope.

Do you come away from this game feeling like Minnesota got WSU's best shot and effort? Cause I don't.
We played like the team bus ran over a puppy litter on the way to the game. At least we found a punter yesterday.

No, I don't think we played our best game, but I think the Big10 is MUCH better than the Pac-12 this season.

A 6-6 Northwestern team just beat #23 Pitt, the same Pitt that beat both Clemson and Penn State. Minnesota beat Northwestern 29-12 in the 2nd to last game of the season.

How did we lose? They were a better team. When you beat someone who's strength is your weakness (that was weakened on top of it) you are a much better team. Minnesotas D was similar to utahs and colorados. Pretty good

Reactions: Full Measures
I wasn't at the game, so I would really love to watch the film with the players and coaches to see what was happening with our WRs. Everyone keeps pointing to Cracraft's absence, but come on....One slot receiver implodes the entire offense?

I think our entire WR group is weak. Having a deep threat is needed, but replacing some of the minion WRs with guys who fight, scrap, and play with swagger is much needed. Robert Lewis, John Thompson, and Kyle Sweet look like the JC softball players Leach was referring to early in the season. Send them all to Julian Edleman's off season camp.

Reactions: BleedCrimsonandGray
It's a huge disgrace because our line couldn't block 3 and 4 rushers and we couldn't pass against their second string secondary. It's not they are Bama, lining up 4 star kids 3 deep on the roster - our passing game should have beat them handily. The reason it didn't has nothing to do with records or bowl appearances, it has to do with heart, discipline, and leadership.

** posted before I read Biggs reply; didn't mean to plagiarize you. Great minds?

All that is irrelevant. Except that Minnesota regularly gets more talent than do we. But our problem was coaching and execution last night.

I'm sure Minnesota fans don't feel like they beat a Goliath of a program last night. The yearly feeling about the Pac12 is that it is a finesse conference and is soft.

We'll see if at least Washington, USC, Colorado and Utah can show them they are mistaken.

It seems like the coaches play favorites and some of the more talented WR s do not get reps. But that is only speculation.

I wasn't at the game, so I would really love to watch the film with the players and coaches to see what was happening with our WRs. Everyone keeps pointing to Cracraft's absence, but come on....One slot receiver implodes the entire offense?

I think our entire WR group is weak. Having a deep threat is needed, but replacing some of the minion WRs with guys who fight, scrap, and play with swagger is much needed. Robert Lewis, John Thompson, and Kyle Sweet look like the JC softball players Leach was referring to early in the season. Send them all to Julian Edleman's off season camp.
True and if the QB falls apart from losing one guy, he's an extremely weak minded QB. Injuries happen, and you need to press on and find other ways to exploit a defense's weaknesses.

Words of wisdom Biggs

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT