ADVERTISEMENT

I’m just not seeing football happening guys

Good thing I live in Spokane where the air is clean, the spectacular restaurants appropriately socially distanced, the lakes nearby and the looting generally limit to Felony Flats - same as it ever was. Lots to do with or without football.

Reactions: earldacoug
So cancelling everything so that a demographic that has an infinitesimal death rate doesn't get sick makes sense how? This is about fear, control, and bad info now. Can't do the research now, but covid has to be about #500 on the list of things that kill 18-25 yo's, below a bunch of stuff they do every day and don't think twice about.

Unless you can get all teams and staff quarantined so the exposure is only football... I tend to agree.

What happens when one team gives it to another over the course of a game??? What is the university’s exposure if a player plays in a game, contracts the virus, then dies?

If memory serves that happened at a FSU vs NC State game years ago. The flu was passed from one team to the other and kids got sick.

Reactions: Cougzz and sellas
So cancelling everything so that a demographic that has an infinitesimal death rate doesn't get sick makes sense how? This is about fear, control, and bad info now. Can't do the research now, but covid has to be about #500 on the list of things that kill 18-25 yo's, below a bunch of stuff they do every day and don't think twice about.
It's not just the 18-25 year old's getting infected. It's the athletic staffs for each sport, the University community (which isn't just young students), and everyone who they come into contact. I would like to see the research/analysis on the complete population beyond just the athletes before deciding how I feel though.

Personally, I'm not living in fear or feel I'm being controlled by anyone. I'm a card carrying introvert so being "forced" inside is pretty much a picnic to me personally. I love sports but it's not exactly something I'm willing to lose any life over even if the risks are relatively low (whatever that means). That's just me though.

Last edited:
The logistics would be a nightmarish. So we play Houston in week 2. What happens if this is the case on “test” day. The Tuesday before Gameday. The game is postponed, then what? The scheduling would become chaotic at best. Not saying I’m living in fear or young kids should shelter in place but people on a much higher pay scale than me make these decisions

Good thing I live in Spokane where the air is clean, the spectacular restaurants appropriately socially distanced, the lakes nearby and the looting generally limit to Felony Flats - same as it ever was. Lots to do with or without football.
Full disclosure: Greater Spokane Inc. is a long-time sponsor of this account

We've had more deaths of cfb football players who have taken fentanyl out of boredom than we've had deaths from covid. And covid is less deadly than the flu for those under 40.

Reactions: Ffffws and 79COUG
I think they’ll play. There will be tight controls, regular testing for teams, and probably no fans. But they’ll be on TV, and the universities will get paid.

Reactions: Cougzz
That is the death rate of all covid deaths/per all people over 75. The death rate is MUCH higher after infection
Nobody knows what the post-infection death rate is, because nobody knows how many are infected. But the death rate per confirmed case is much higher.

Reactions: sellas
No. go check the data report back to me
CDC numbers show the following: (May 28 update)
80% of all deaths are from those over 65
92% of all deaths are from those over 55

Internet tells me that the 65+ demo is 16% of the population, and that 55+ is 28% of the population.

Obviously these are not small demographics that don't deserve consideration, especially when you throw in the 55+ and that the average life span is almost 79 now.

However, even as steep as the numbers are, here are the death rates for the entire vulnerable population:
for 55-64, the death rate is 0.02,
for the 65+, the death rate is 0.12

The rate of catching COVID for the 65+ group is 0.5%. For comparison, the rate of cancer for the 65+ group starts at 1.5% and goes up to 2.2% as you get older.

That was from 5/28. But just for you, since youre sooooo special (and i mean that in a bad way...):
  • 200365 cases 75+
  • 16500000 pop 75+
  • 1.2% of the 75+ pop has caught it.
  • Latest CDC numbers show deaths trending downwards
  • ~56k deaths, 27.9% mortality rate, so IF you get it youre youre kinda screwed.

I just don't see football happening. Colleges are going to really be struggling and there are definitely states that are going to have to go into full shut down mode by the end of the summer. I could see a handful of games being staged between some of the SEC schools and a few other red-state teams, but more like made-for-TV exhibitions rather than a real season. That is unless the NCAA doesn't step in again and pull the plug.

I just don't see football happening. Colleges are going to really be struggling and there are definitely states that are going to have to go into full shut down mode by the end of the summer. I could see a handful of games being staged between some of the SEC schools and a few other red-state teams, but more like made-for-TV exhibitions rather than a real season. That is unless the NCAA doesn't step in again and pull the plug.

If things go south and small colleges cant get students to campus, you could see schools closing their doors all over the country. You may see kids opt for online classes instead of going to campus. That would shutter the doors of many small colleges. I expect the midwest and northeast to get the worst of it if it comes to that.

If things go south and small colleges cant get students to campus, you could see schools closing their doors all over the country. You may see kids opt for online classes instead of going to campus. That would shutter the doors of many small colleges. I expect the midwest and northeast to get the worst of it if it comes to that.

At some point, people are going to come to the belief that young people are at low enough risk of fatal consequences to open colleges regardless of the risk. None of us want to see a high death count from the virus, but excessive quarantining is just as harmful to our population as a whole. I won't be surprised if the kneejerk reaction this year is a cancellation of football (and a switch to online college), but I also know that where I live in the midwest, there is a strong sense of "f#ck it, let nature take its course".

At some point, people are going to come to the belief that young people are at low enough risk of fatal consequences to open colleges regardless of the risk. None of us want to see a high death count from the virus, but excessive quarantining is just as harmful to our population as a whole. I won't be surprised if the kneejerk reaction this year is a cancellation of football (and a switch to online college), but I also know that where I live in the midwest, there is a strong sense of "f#ck it, let nature take its course".
Flat, that seems to be the battle cry of most of the people I know(With some limitations like personal hygiene etc.) including my 83 year old Dad. After watching the riots and protests which didn’t seem to concern the same politicians who are forcing people to shut down their businesses for months this cry is getting stronger.

I think most people already believe young people are at low enough risk of fatal consequences to reopen college campuses in the fall. And they will continue to believe that until their son or daughter is one of the unfortunate few who dies or has severe complications. Then they will sue. It’s an open question whether they will win in court but the cost for colleges and universities to defend such lawsuits could be substantial regardless.

So, college administrations have a tough call to make. I think each institution will end up making their own decision based on their own financial circumstances. A wealthy university with a large endowment might well decide that online classes for the next year is the way to go. A cash strapped university that is facing bankruptcy if they don’t have on campus classes in the fall would almost certainly decide to take the risk.

Reactions: BiggsCoug
I think most people already believe young people are at low enough risk of fatal consequences to reopen college campuses in the fall. And they will continue to believe that until their son or daughter is one of the unfortunate few who dies or has severe complications. Then they will sue. It’s an open question whether they will win in court but the cost for colleges and universities to defend such lawsuits could be substantial regardless.

So, college administrations have a tough call to make. I think each institution will end up making their own decision based on their own financial circumstances. A wealthy university with a large endowment might well decide that online classes for the next year is the way to go. A cash strapped university that is facing bankruptcy if they don’t have on campus classes in the fall would almost certainly decide to take the risk.

It's not that tough of a call - the current hospitalization rate in Whitman County is 0.000000000000000000000000. That's ZERO. None. Zip. Nada.

In neighboring Spokane County there are 8 people currently hospitalized due to COVID. That is .0000154 of the population.

The only tough call by university administrators is if they think the current state governor will completely fund the entirety of operations in perpetuity with zero students on campus. Or do they think perhaps having some tuition money coming in might assist in operations?

The chances of catching of dying from meningitis is far greater than dying of COVID-19 in the age group occupying college campuses. But there's nary a second thought on whether Johnny will traipse off to college in August based on whether he'll die from meningitis.

This discussion is, quite frankly, absurd at this point. I'll offer up my left testicle as sacrifice if one kid at WSU dies directly as a result of COVID (no underlying or pre-existing conditions health issues, no drug use, straight up catching COVID and dying).

Fairly certain my balls will be safe. That's called 'risk assessment' and somebody at the state level should try it instead of pandering to whoever is above them in the bureaucracy.

It's not that tough of a call - the current hospitalization rate in Whitman County is 0.000000000000000000000000. That's ZERO. None. Zip. Nada.

In neighboring Spokane County there are 8 people currently hospitalized due to COVID. That is .0000154 of the population.

The only tough call by university administrators is if they think the current state governor will completely fund the entirety of operations in perpetuity with zero students on campus. Or do they think perhaps having some tuition money coming in might assist in operations?

The chances of catching of dying from meningitis is far greater than dying of COVID-19 in the age group occupying college campuses. But there's nary a second thought on whether Johnny will traipse off to college in August based on whether he'll die from meningitis.

This discussion is, quite frankly, absurd at this point. I'll offer up my left testicle as sacrifice if one kid at WSU dies directly as a result of COVID (no underlying or pre-existing conditions health issues, no drug use, straight up catching COVID and dying).

Fairly certain my balls will be safe. That's called 'risk assessment' and somebody at the state level should try it instead of pandering to whoever is above them in the bureaucracy.
Hope you have already have all the kids you want to have.

I don’t think comparing the infection rate in a Whitman county that is largely devoid of students with what it is likely to be when thousands of students are crowded together in dorms and classrooms is at all valid. Like it or not, COVID is extremely contagious and is very likely to spread around campus quite rapidly when it appears. The risk is low to be sure, many students may not even know they contracted it. But some students are in high risk groups due to diabetes, asthma, obesity or just genetic misfortune. Some will get very ill. Some may die. Low risk is not the same as no risk.

I don’t think comparing the infection rate in a Whitman county that is largely devoid of students with what it is likely to be when thousands of students are crowded together in dorms and classrooms is at all valid. Like it or not, COVID is extremely contagious and is very likely to spread around campus quite rapidly when it appears. The risk is low to be sure, many students may not even know they contracted it. But some students are in high risk groups due to diabetes, asthma, obesity or just genetic misfortune. Some will get very ill. Some may die. Low risk is not the same as no risk.
not to mention all of the support staff people, professors etc that are not in the low risk group

As a university, what do you do when you have an outbreak in a dorm? Lock everyone in? Test everyone and only let negative tests out? How do you justify quarantining kids in dorms?

It's a logistical nightmare. I have a sinking feeling you will see schools open in the fall and schools have mass outbreaks because of the volume of kids... then it goes home to their family and right back out into circulation into the community.

Im hopeful there are plans having been made for all scenarios.

Reactions: kaddy3

Listen closely...

THEN THOSE FCKING KIDS NEED TO STAY HOME!

Geezus, this isnt rocket science. If you are compromised, regardless of age group, then use your fcking brain and protect yourself, but most kids arent compromised so this whole discussion is a non-starter.

not to mention all of the support staff people, professors etc that are not in the low risk group
Under 55 are still relatively low risk, and if you look at the numbers even the 55+ are low risk IF they dont have underlying conditions.

Again, if a person is immunocompromised they need to act and make decisions accordingly, including not going to work.

Under 55 are still relatively low risk, and if you look at the numbers even the 55+ are low risk IF they dont have underlying conditions.

Again, if a person is immunocompromised they need to act and make decisions accordingly, including not going to work.
so your position is that people with underlying issues are on their own, the rest of us have no responsibility at all to help control this virus

Listen closely...

THEN THOSE FCKING KIDS NEED TO STAY HOME!

Geezus, this isnt rocket science. If you are compromised, regardless of age group, then use your fcking brain and protect yourself, but most kids arent compromised so this whole discussion is a non-starter.
I’m sure you realize that most compromised kids won’t voluntarily stay home. Most young people and their parents are pretty good at convincing themselves they aren’t actually high risk (e.g., not actually obese, just have a large frame or his asthma isn’t that bad, etc). So, for your plan to work, you would be forced to deny admission to students with underlying health conditions. I don’t see that happening.

I’m sure you realize that most compromised kids won’t voluntarily stay home. Most young people and their parents are pretty good at convincing themselves they aren’t actually high risk (e.g., not actually obese, just have a large frame or his asthma isn’t that bad, etc). So, for your plan to work, you would be forced to deny admission to students with underlying health conditions. I don’t see that happening.
So we're a country that absolves people of all of their personal responsibility now? Big daddy Jay Inslee needs to come and tell people to not put their own or their childrens lives at risk?

Reactions: Mitchf350
Please explain how you or I are responsible or even capable of making compromised people act in their own best interests?
your point is clear, those with any sort of compromise should stay out of circulation so your life is unaffected in any way, anyone contracting the virus due to people refusing to take precautions, mask wearing etc... are at fault because they didn't stay at home

That’s why my nuts are completely safe.

So we're a country that absolves people of all of their personal responsibility now? Big daddy Jay Inslee needs to come and tell people to not put their own or their childrens lives at risk?

Im not sure what Inslee has to do with it but to answer your question: yes, we are a country that absolves people of their personal responsibility. We do it through the courts. In my experience, one of the things we Americans excel at is absolving ourselves of responsibility when things go wrong. It’s always someone else’s fault so we sue that someone. We conveniently forget about decisions we made and actions we took that may have lead to the problem in the first place.

I think that’s the reality that college administrators have to consider as they go about returning students to campuses. If there are COVID outbreaks, there almost certainly will be lawsuits. They have to take actions that best protect the institution they are responsible for. It’s not really just about politics.

Im not sure what Inslee has to do with it but to answer your question: yes, we are a country that absolves people of their personal responsibility. We do it through the courts. In my experience, one of the things we Americans excel at is absolving ourselves of responsibility when things go wrong. It’s always someone else’s fault so we sue that someone. We conveniently forget about decisions we made and actions we took that may have lead to the problem in the first place.

I think that’s the reality that college administrators have to consider as they go about returning students to campuses. If there are COVID outbreaks, there almost certainly will be lawsuits. They have to take actions that best protect the institution they are responsible for. It’s not really just about politics.

You just outlined what makes America a terrible place to live. The fuggin' court system. Wanna know why systemic racism is hard to root out? Courts. Fifteen years ago, we didn't hire a black woman because the owner of the company was worried that his racist employees couldn't help but make a joke about n#gg#rs in front of her. They probably wouldn't have, but he was too scared to hire her because he was worried about the lawsuit that might happen.

As far as the comment about what to do with the students who are at higher risk, I guess my comment would be: "Why should we ruin the college experience for millions of students around the country because a small percentage of students might be at high risk?" Those high risk students should stay home and do online schooling and if they choose to go, they (and their parents) should sign a waiver stating that they understand the risks.

We are so busy solving crap in court that we ruin the good things in life too.

Reactions: Observer11
your point is clear, those with any sort of compromise should stay out of circulation so your life is unaffected in any way, anyone contracting the virus due to people refusing to take precautions, mask wearing etc... are at fault because they didn't stay at home
Guess youve never heard of asymptomatic carriers. And masks only reduce transmission chance to 1.5%, remember? So even with best practices, they are still at risk.

But for people like you, there is no amount of risk mitigation that is enough outside of pure eradication

No freaking way. None. Way too much of a slippery slope if a judge were to allow a suit like that. Whats next? Clap lawsuits bc Schulz didnt personally put the condom on for the kid? Flu lawsuits bc Schulz didnt come over with vapor rub and chicken soup every day?

Youll probably say yes, but i say no way.

Guess youve never heard of asymptomatic carriers. And masks only reduce transmission chance to 1.5%, remember? So even with best practices, they are still at risk.

But for people like you, there is no amount of risk mitigation that is enough outside of pure eradication

No freaking way. None. Way too much of a slippery slope if a judge were to allow a suit like that. Whats next? Clap lawsuits bc Schulz didnt personally put the condom on for the kid? Flu lawsuits bc Schulz didnt come over with vapor rub and chicken soup every day?
Youll probably say yes, but i say no way.
Well, it’s not people like me you need to be worried about. I’ve never sued anyone and am pretty sure I never will. And I believe I have the experience to be a fairly good judge of personal risk and the means to protect myself to whatever extent I believe is necessary. Consequently, if I fail to protect myself adequately, I will have only myself to blame and I accept that responsibility. But, I’m pretty sure that’s a minority point of view in this country.

As to your comment about judges throwing out lawsuits - you may or may not remember that a few years ago, a lady sued McDonalds (I believe successfully) because the coffee was too hot and burned her when she spilled it in her lap. I’m thinking if you could get that case a hearing, a case involving a COVID infection linked to unsanitary living conditions in a college dorm would fly through the process.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT