ADVERTISEMENT

I expect us to continue to improve on defense each week...

ttowncoug

Hall Of Fame
Sep 9, 2001
Keep things in perspective:

That game was literally in our hands. (The fumble that wasn't a fumble). (A near safety down the stretch.). Defense was fighting harder than any of the previous games.

No moral wins, but we should stack up good against all future opponents. Our game in Eugene, could be a trap game for them. All energy is going into UW this week.

HBO is in town this week. This is a new season. Bowl game is still in reach. (So is the north championship).

We have a good chance to beat Colorado this weekend, but I’m not overly confident either. They have an elite WR, a good RB, and an experienced QB. I expect they’ll score at least 35 points.

The Oregon game? I guess it could be a trap game for them, but the fact that we’ve beaten them 4 straight mitigates that IMO. I’m also not optimistic facing teams on the road with good defenses, good offenses, and knowing that our defense gives up 550+ yards no matter who we play. I suspect we’ll be 20+ point underdogs.

The Cal game, provided the Bears are still sputtering at QB, will be our best chance at stealing a road game.

I expected us to improve each week for wks 1 through 4.
We have a good chance to beat Colorado this weekend, but I’m not overly confident either. They have an elite WR, a good RB, and an experienced QB. I expect they’ll score at least 35 points.

The Oregon game? I guess it could be a trap game for them, but the fact that we’ve beaten them 4 straight mitigates that IMO. I’m also not optimistic facing teams on the road with good defenses, good offenses, and knowing that our defense gives up 550+ yards no matter who we play. I suspect we’ll be 20+ point underdogs.

The Cal game, provided the Bears are still sputtering at QB, will be our best chance at stealing a road game.
I had higher hopes for Montez against the ducks, but even when not under duress that kid couldn't hit a cows ass with a banjo.

I stated it in another thread - what happened to the world beater that made the Cougs look foolish in the game that decided the P12N a couple of years ago? I'm sure he'll show up this Saturday...

I had higher hopes for Montez against the ducks, but even when not under duress that kid couldn't hit a cows ass with a banjo.

I stated it in another thread - what happened to the world beater that made the Cougs look foolish in the game that decided the P12N a couple of years ago? I'm sure he'll show up this Saturday...

Montez has a game or two every year where he shits the bed, really bad. I think it was 2017 against us in the snow, he was something like 4-15 before getting benched.

And I think you're referring to Montez's predecessor. Can't remember his name, but he was from the west side.

What exactly are you talking about ?? Montez took one snap the last time Colorado beat WSU in 2016. Which I guess is the game you are talking about.

Last edited:
Sefo Liufau is the QB who did so well vs. Cougs. He threw for 345 yards and ran for 108 with 3 TDs. I think he was from Tacoma. His ability to run made him even more dangerous for WSU. Montez is probably a better passer, but is basically one-dimensional...thank goodness.

Glad Cougar

Reactions: PINGDUDE4
Colorado doesn't have a good defense, so this game needs to be won by our offense. That's always going to be the case this season, but it's especially true this week. We're fortunate to not only have them at home, but that it's a sold out homecoming game. Had this not been Homecoming or Dad's weekend, the attendance and atmosphere would have been a dud, especially with rain in the forecast.

So what say offense? Are you going to come out and put 45+ on the board like you're capable of? Defense, can you get a few stops? Maybe tip a pass or two and get a pick? Force a fumble?

This game may be meaningless in the grand scheme of things, but I think it's an important game for our program. If we can win it, the upcoming games will have some meaning. If we lose this weekend, the upcoming games at Oregon and at Cal look bleak.

Montez has a game or two every year where he shits the bed, really bad. I think it was 2017 against us in the snow, he was something like 4-15 before getting benched.

And I think you're referring to Montez's predecessor. Can't remember his name, but he was from the west side.
I stand corrected.

I thought Montez came in during that game, not sure why.

I would like to use this as often as possible.

Reactions: SDCoug
Colorado doesn't have a good defense, so this game needs to be won by our offense. That's always going to be the case this season, but it's especially true this week. We're fortunate to not only have them at home, but that it's a sold out homecoming game. Had this not been Homecoming or Dad's weekend, the attendance and atmosphere would have been a dud, especially with rain in the forecast.

So what say offense? Are you going to come out and put 45+ on the board like you're capable of? Defense, can you get a few stops? Maybe tip a pass or two and get a pick? Force a fumble?

This game may be meaningless in the grand scheme of things, but I think it's an important game for our program. If we can win it, the upcoming games will have some meaning. If we lose this weekend, the upcoming games at Oregon and at Cal look bleak.
It’s not at all meaningless. It’s probably a must win to secure a bowl. A couple weeks of extra practices is huge with all of the young guys that are going to need to make an impact going forward to get this thing back on track.

I stand corrected.

I thought Montez came in during that game, not sure why.

Montez did play in that game but Sefo absolutely wrecked us and was the primary reason that they won. I feel good about this game and think we take care of business. I'm hoping that it's close but not stressful close. I've seen one projection that has us winning 42-34. Although closer than I'd like, that would be a perfect result. It would allow Oregon the arrogance of assuming that we were totally inferior to them and that they could ignore the results of the past four years.

I don't think that we beat the ducks this year.....but it's not out of the question for a Mike Leach team to pull a rabbit out of its hat and win a game that we shouldn't. Still, as far as Colorado goes, we've handled them pretty well the last couple years and I like our chances. I agree with the notion that this defense has a lot of potential to improve as the year goes on. Oregon and UW are the only two games of the last six where we look terrible on paper in terms of matchup. 7-5 would be a letdown after the last couple years......but frankly, even 6-6 will be just fine at this point. I still feel like we have a bowl team in terms of talent and scheme. It's just been execution the last three weeks. We'll see if the coaches can fix that.

Reactions: earldacoug
It’s not at all meaningless. It’s probably a must win to secure a bowl. A couple weeks of extra practices is huge with all of the young guys that are going to need to make an impact going forward to get this thing back on track.

When he said meaningless, he was talking meaningless from an ESPN perspective.....not a WSU perspective.

I don't think it's meaningless from a WSU perspective. Not at all. If we win on Saturday, we'll be 4-3. When you've been around as long as I have, you don't forget the slew of seasons where being 4-3 was a huge breakthrough.

I don't think it's meaningless from a WSU perspective. Not at all. If we win on Saturday, we'll be 4-3. When you've been around as long as I have, you don't forget the slew of seasons where being 4-3 was a huge breakthrough.

Not only this, but it is a proven fact that you have to win 4 games before you can win 5. Seasons are progressive things....

Colorado does not have a good defense, so I expect we’ll put up some points. Problem is that we’ve got a bad defense, so I expect they will too.

Montez is solid, and he’s having a good year overall, in spite of the bad week against Oregon. He had 2 interceptions this season before Saturday, he completes a lot of passes, and he’s still only been sacked 7 times. Their RB is serviceable, and they’ve got at least 2, probably 3, big receiving threats. Montez probably isn’t going to suck two weeks in a row. Yeah, they’re going to score.

They beat ASU 3 weeks ago. They also lost to Arizona and air force, so they’re a bit of an enigma. Still, looking at their offense I think we’re likely to see a track meet on Saturday. The question is whether our offense will keep up, and if our defense can create extra possessions. If we don’t get some turnovers, we’re not going to win. And if we don’t win this game, I don’t think we’re a bowl team.

ASU did lose to Colorado three weeks ago but the young QB is 3 weeks better and led the Devils to the game winning drive. Experience helps. Things change.

Right now Colorado is giving up a lot of points (like WSU) and the Cougs have home field. WSU needs to take advantage of the home cooking.

My bad CP...thought that was kind of a funny comment should have made that connection

ASU did lose to Colorado three weeks ago but the young QB is 3 weeks better and led the Devils to the game winning drive. Experience helps. Things change.

Right now Colorado is giving up a lot of points (like WSU) and the Cougs have home field. WSU needs to take advantage of the home cooking.
Define home cooking. Been a while since I’ve seen any home cooking, and regardless of the defensive implosion we were downright screwed by the refs/replay booth in the UCLA game.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT