ADVERTISEMENT

I just want to say this has been one of ...

YakiCoug

Hall Of Fame
Jan 6, 2003
the most enjoyable Cougar football seasons for me. Considering the backstory, this group of players has rallied beyond all expectations. It is beyond endearing and heart rending, and it leaves me thankful for being a Cougar. And it leaves me a bit incredulous that any true Cougar fan would feel unsatisfied over an 11-2 finish. Perhaps those who are untouched by how this staff and this team survived No. 3's death and took his memory to unprecedented heights should just leave now. There no longer is room for you here. Just go, and go quietly, please. The rest of you, we'll never, ever lose a party, OK?

Totally agree Yaki. This season was a fantastic ride and a season of some of the best national exposure this program has seen in my lifetime (and I am old). People who can’t enjoy what we have accomplished this year probably can’t enjoy much of anything in their lives. What a great 2018!

the most enjoyable Cougar football seasons for me. Considering the backstory, this group of players has rallied beyond all expectations. It is beyond endearing and heart rending, and it leaves me thankful for being a Cougar. And it leaves me a bit incredulous that any true Cougar fan would feel unsatisfied over an 11-2 finish. Perhaps those who are untouched by how this staff and this team survived No. 3's death and took his memory to unprecedented heights should just leave now. There no longer is room for you here. Just go, and go quietly, please. The rest of you, we'll never, ever lose a party, OK?

I didn’t have any hope for the season. Actually, my excitement was at an all time low after Hilinski passed. I predicted 7-5 because Leach can always win, but to say I was looking foward to the season would be a lie. But what this team did shows you that belief, love and sheer will can conquer. And they brought happiness to me and many other Cougs. If people want to focus on not beating UW so be it. This team was a joy to watch. Best season since 97. They laid the foundation. Wazzu will be relevant as long as Leach is here. And there will be kids out there, studs that will see this team and know they can be the difference maker in getting us to the next level because they have seen that it is possible to win in Pullman. I look forward to the years we have coming because the talent is the there. The coaching is there. We are a few bodies away from us being all the there and I know we’ll get there.

Only seasons that match 2018 on the 'fun' scale for me are 1997 and 1981. 2002 was soured by the backwards pass Apple Cup and the Price departure/Rose Bowl debacle.

I've seen various tweets from players about being on the best team in WSU history. I might be persuaded to put them in a #1A/#1B spot with the 1997 squad though I think '97 was still better on both sides of the ball. But for pure fun and overcoming the tragedy in January, this team was definitely more fun. I anticipated games each week more than any time since 97 and probably moreso.

Yaki, I agree with everything you said, but let me add a slightly different slant.

This team exceeded its potential by more than any Coug team since I've watched the Cougs (late '60's). We have never had a team (IMHO) where the whole was so much better than the sum of the parts, or which found more ways to snatch victory from the jaws of defeat (rather than the reverse). Yes, a lot of that was Minshew. Though less visible, I suspect that a lot was also Pelleur. But what CML said postgame about this team being the most coachable he has had is an across the board sort of statement...note something, fix it, move to the next thing, resulting in improvement each week. That requires buy-in from every team member as well as good coaching. I wonder how many of our posters understand how HARD it is to do that?? We have teams everywhere: sports, work, church, politics, society in general. How often do you see any of those "teams" go on a 13 "game" streak where they continue to be coachable and actually improve after every event?

As you suggested, Yaki, it was also one of the most enjoyable Coug seasons for me and a lot of other Cougs, as well. If the team can take that "minimal ego/highly coachable" attitude into next year, we may have a very good season then, too. Here's hoping that the seeds of 2019 were sown in 2018 and that they grow well.

Another really important part of this successful season was the schedule.
It is really the type of schedule we need to have every year, but especially on a year we are rebuilding. Playing Wyoming on the road was a handful, we don't need Auburn. Historically, most successful teams have scheduled easy. If you look at where we were entering the Apple Cup, there really doesn't seem to be any upside in scheduling tough non-conference road games.

Reactions: GrayOnGray
Another really important part of this successful season was the schedule.
It is really the type of schedule we need to have every year, but especially on a year we are rebuilding. Playing Wyoming on the road was a handful, we don't need Auburn. Historically, most successful teams have scheduled easy. If you look at where we were entering the Apple Cup, there really doesn't seem to be any upside in scheduling tough non-conference road games.

Yes but in the eyes of the voters, sometimes a loss to Auburn is better than a win against Wyoming. Ask the dogs.

Not sure what you are talking about. The winner of the Apple Cup was going to the PAC12 championship game regardless of Wyoming or Auburn, and if we had won both of those games we would have been at least ranked in the top 6. A loss to Auburn would not have increased our ranking under any circumstances...

Reactions: CrimsonDisciple
Only seasons that match 2018 on the 'fun' scale for me are 1997 and 1981. 2002 was soured by the backwards pass Apple Cup and the Price departure/Rose Bowl debacle.

I've seen various tweets from players about being on the best team in WSU history. I might be persuaded to put them in a #1A/#1B spot with the 1997 squad though I think '97 was still better on both sides of the ball. But for pure fun and overcoming the tragedy in January, this team was definitely more fun. I anticipated games each week more than any time since 97 and probably moreso.

That is why Leach was hands down the coach of the year. To lose his dline, his assistants and then the tragedy, for him to guide them through just the death of a teammate was nothing short of amazing.

Reactions: earldacoug
Indeed a remarkable and pleasing season for many reasons. Looking back four months ago though gives me a bit of amusement. Anyone predicting eight or more wins was a subject of derision on this board. Personally, I expected six or seven wins at best and was hoping for an invitation to the Las Vegas Bowl. NY6 or any of the top ranked bowls below that- forget it, you're dreaming. Wrong again and I like it.

i predicted 9-10 wins based on some of the reasons stated for expecting a so so season. Leach basically upgraded his staff. He finally hired a O line coach and moved a coach to where he would cause less damage. The defense was immensely improved with the new DC. And finally the QB position had a new face with good talent and a winning attitude. The O line helped the new QB who in turn made the WR s look better.It was a very good season and we will see how the ball bounces next year. If Leach leaves to Miami as some fear then next year will be a so so year.

WSU stayed relatively healthy this year. Reminded me of 1997 in that regard (until Michael Black got hurt!). That was an important factor along with all the other reasons listed above.

Glad Cougar

WSU stayed relatively healthy this year. Reminded me of 1997 in that regard (until Michael Black got hurt!). That was an important factor along with all the other reasons listed above.

Glad Cougar

Yes and no. Harper missed half the season. Oguayo was limited all season. Chima missed the whole season. Moore missed the whole season.

Reactions: earldacoug
Yes and no. Harper missed half the season. Oguayo was limited all season. Chima missed the whole season. Moore missed the whole season.
But the amazing thing about what CML has built, we have the DEPTH to at least kinda control the pain of losing someone at a position.

But to the Original posters point, agree Yaki. This has been a dream come true in a time that a program could have easily wasted away into dust. Then the domino affect of such would could have been catastrophic. The players, the coaches held it together and strove for more. We were fortunate enough to have seats at Martin (and other venues) to watch this. Wow. Good on the kids. Good on the coaches. What a TEAM.

Reactions: YakiCoug

Echevarria had worked his way into the rotation but then got hurt.

I was wondering what happened with Echevarria.
If he is back at full health with McDougal up front, well that's a load that the Cougs didn't have in 2018.
Echevarria is at about 280 and McDougal is about 290 if I recall. The current Coud d-linemen (who did a great job overall) are at about 250 to 260 lbs.

ADVERTISEMENT