ADVERTISEMENT

I Still Like the Speed Option on the Goaline

Why? Cause he is a turnover machine. He is not accurate . A simply 8 yard throw to a wide open seem route for a td he doesn’t see. His mechanics are awful. He has zero touch. Yes he will make sum plays but will throw it into double coverage in the end zone . Bender Bruggman we’re supposed to be it. JDL plays cause there isn’t a Luke falk
Yet he hit all day. Short passes flat routes seem routes…he missed a read on one seem route that CJ was wide open on, I do recall that. He shouldn’t have thrown the pick in the end zone, but he had two receivers in the same spot drawing a crowd, one of which wasn’t supposed to be there.
JDL can also do things Falk couldn’t do, like get out of harms way. He’s never going to be a pocket statue like Falk because he can move around and buy time to run or hit guys downfield in a scramble drill. JDL in this offense is going to look different than Falk or Gordon in the air raid.
You’re overplaying the windup thing. In general there may be a preferred over the top quick release motion, but lots of QBs have been successful with unorthodox throwing motions. Like I said , footwork is a helluva lot more important.

I think people throwing stuff like that out there get wrapped up in the analysis by football experts. Some who know and some who don’t know what they are talking about. It’s like the 4-3 v 3-4 argument. Ultimately it’s nonsense because you put your best 11 on the field and line up according to how you can beat attack your opponents offense.
There’s no right or wrong way to throw a football as there’s no right or wrong batting stance or pitching delivery in baseball. If you can get it there with accuracy and the right pace and spin with consistency, who gives a shit what you look like doing it.

I'm not dogmatic about delivery but I watch a QB who: fires only fastballs, has a tendency to throw it up and pray for the best, struggles throwing deep with any accuracy, struggles to hit a receiver crossing with any accuracy, and has a long delivery which gives defenders time to break on his throws. I'm not optimistic about that guy going forward. By the very criteria you set out we don't have a good QB.

Yet he hit all day. Short passes flat routes seem routes…he missed a read on one seem route that CJ was wide open on, I do recall that. He shouldn’t have thrown the pick in the end zone, but he had two receivers in the same spot drawing a crowd, one of which wasn’t supposed to be there.
JDL can also do things Falk couldn’t do, like get out of harms way. He’s never going to be a pocket statue like Falk because he can move around and buy time to run or hit guys downfield in a scramble drill. JDL in this offense is going to look different than Falk or Gordon in the air raid.
You’re overplaying the windup thing. In general there may be a preferred over the top quick release motion, but lots of QBs have been successful with unorthodox throwing motions. Like I said , footwork is a helluva lot more important.
He hit all day because our receivers were much more talented than Portland St's DB's. This won't be the case all year.

I did like him when they were running tempo. I think it neutralizes a lot of his weaknesses.

I am not overplaying it at all. He a pass at end of the first half . If he hits Harris I think in stride he walks into the end zone . He throws a dart 10 yards into his feet.

The running thing won’t be nearly as effective against pac 12 defenses .

Why? Cause he is a turnover machine. He is not accurate . A simply 8 yard throw to a wide open seem route for a td he doesn’t see. His mechanics are awful. He has zero touch. Yes he will make sum plays but will throw it into double coverage in the end zone . Bender Bruggman we’re supposed to be it. JDL plays cause there isn’t a Luke falk
Our kingdom for a Luke Falk or Anthony Gordon. Even a poor man's Colt Brennan

I am not overplaying it at all. He a pass at end of the first half . If he hits Harris I think in stride he walks into the end zone . He throws a dart 10 yards into his feet.

The running thing won’t be nearly as effective against pac 12 defenses .
Maybe due to our coaching/system ineptitude, but Pac-12 defenses, generally speaking, aren't exactly imposing.

Reactions: Coug90
Slovis to Amon Ra St. Brown just straight up destroyed the cougs last year. Glad St. Brown is gone but they have plenty of solid receivers to go with. JDL will need to play lights out to keep it close. Let's hope Slovis is emotionally devastated by the coaching change.

I think people throwing stuff like that out there get wrapped up in the analysis by football experts. Some who know and some who don’t know what they are talking about. It’s like the 4-3 v 3-4 argument. Ultimately it’s nonsense because you put your best 11 on the field and line up according to how you can beat attack your opponents offense.
There’s no right or wrong way to throw a football as there’s no right or wrong batting stance or pitching delivery in baseball. If you can get it there with accuracy and the right pace and spin with consistency, who gives a shit what you look like doing it.
There's some truth to that. And he does have a long windup. Too often he throws hard when he needs some touch. But I think his bigger problem right now is vision, and the way that he stares down his receivers several times per game.

For those with short memories, recall that the RBs at Hawaii didn’t get that many carries. I think it was like two more per game on the average. The difference on rushing yards between Leach’s teams and Rolovich’s teams was rush yards and attempts from the QB.

Remember when you predicted de Laura would never go 7 for 10?

There's some truth to that. And he does have a long windup. Too often he throws hard when he needs some touch. But I think his bigger problem right now is vision, and the way that he stares down his receivers several times per game.
Agreed. That stuff can improve with game reps. Gesser had the same issues at first and the game slowed down for him. Time will tell with DeLaura.

I think the only thing that’s holding back JDL is his understanding of the system. He hasn’t had enough film study, he still doesn't know all of the sideline signals, and as a result, he’s out there running the plays and playing sandlot instead of reading the defenses and understanding what’s coming pre-snap. Everything is happening so fast for him right now. He’s making one read and then taking off.

It’s a common issue for young QBs, but it’s been particularly problematic for JDL. If he stays healthy this season and gets these reps (and stay out of trouble), I think he’ll come into Spring ball next year a totally different player.

I think the only thing that’s holding back JDL is his understanding of the system. He hasn’t had enough film study, he still doesn't know all of the sideline signals, and as a result, he’s out there running the plays and playing sandlot instead of reading the defenses and understanding what’s coming pre-snap. Everything is happening so fast for him right now. He’s making one read and then taking off.

It’s a common issue for young QBs, but it’s been particularly problematic for JDL. If he stays healthy this season and gets these reps (and stay out of trouble), I think he’ll come into Spring ball next year a totally different player.
He came from the R&S in high school, he should be the one who is furthest along with understanding the reads and concepts.

But as I've stated before, I suspect that JDL was given a lot of leeway with the offense due to his ability to move the chains with his feet. In other words - not coached or made to learn the offense. Or how to properly throw a football, for that matter.

He came from the R&S in high school, he should be the one who is furthest along with understanding the reads and concepts.

But as I've stated before, I suspect that JDL was given a lot of leeway with the offense due to his ability to move the chains with his feet. In other words - not coached or made to learn the offense. Or how to properly throw a football, for that matter.
And if he's not wise with his feet, he's not going to survive the season. In the 1st qtr last game he took off on a sizable gain but unnecessarily took on the tackler and needlessly exposed himself to abuse. He did slide later in the game, however. More of that, please! That's all I have to say about that.

I understand that he's familiar with the RnS having run it in High School, but he's clearly nowhere near up to speed on our sideline signals and formations yet.

The fact that he spends so much time between plays running back and forth to the sideline and then trying to get us aligned properly is taking away from his pre-snap reads. We always talk about QBs going their WR progressions, and the best QBs are the ones who know before the snap what the read sequence is based on how the defense is aligned. That's the area where (I think) JDL will take a big step forward next season.

And if he's not wise with his feet, he's not going to survive the season. In the 1st qtr last game he took off on a sizable gain but unnecessarily took on the tackler and needlessly exposed himself to abuse. He did slide later in the game, however. More of that, please! That's all I have to say about that.
As QB your job is to win games. You can’t win games from the medical tent, but you also need to know when to go headfirst to pick up a first down late in a close game. Love the fearlessness but he needs to make better decisions here. He had the first down by 10-15 yards on the play you are mentioning, get down and live to play another down.

Reactions: KRUSTYtheCOUG
I understand that he's familiar with the RnS having run it in High School, but he's clearly nowhere near up to speed on our sideline signals and formations yet.

The fact that he spends so much time between plays running back and forth to the sideline and then trying to get us aligned properly is taking away from his pre-snap reads. We always talk about QBs going their WR progressions, and the best QBs are the ones who know before the snap what the read sequence is based on how the defense is aligned. That's the area where (I think) JDL will take a big step forward next season.
I'll be patient this year, but I don't have to like the inefficiency, especially since its wholly unnecessary due to reasons that have been stated previously.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT