ADVERTISEMENT

I think I have figured out our team's offense...

Cougini5591

Team Captain
Gold Member
Jul 6, 2022
If we try to think... we're dumb.

If we allow the opposition to think... we're dumb.

When my dead great-great-great-great blind/deaf 1 legged grandma can equal our offensive production, there's a problem.

If we try to think... we're dumb.

If we allow the opposition to think... we're dumb.

When my dead great-great-great-great blind/deaf 1 legged grandma can equal our offensive production, there's a problem.

The 2ND HALF WAS AWFUL, TERRIBLY BAD, HORRIBLE.

The 1ST HALF was ok, semi good, not bad.

And despite the HORRIBLY bad second half, OVERALL, the 28 points in the game, and 28-18 win, was, is better then what the BAD offense has done all year in usually scoring about 17 points per game, and losing.

Cam and Morris are definitely like Dr Jeckle and Mr Hyde a lot.

While this is NOT GOOD, it's not HORRIBLE, and at least it's better then the last 4 ineffective games, and at least it was a win, and WSU became bowl eligible.

The offense can be, is frustrating tho.

Reactions: KRUSTYtheCOUG

And despite the HORRIBLY bad second half, OVERALL, the 28 points in the game, and 28-18 win, was, is better then what the BAD offense has done all year in usually scoring about 17 points per game, and losing.

While this is NOT GOOD, it's not HORRIBLE, and at least it's better then the last 4 ineffective games, and at least it was a win, and WSU became bowl eligible.

When you lead ASU 28-0 at the half it is far better than not bad. The 4th quarter was frustrating but we avoided turnovers and ASU never had the ball with the opportunity to tie. I'll take that every time.

Reactions: LeachPack
1st half was “not bad?”

We beat the Hell out of two conference teams in a row. Check the archives and see how many times that’s happened in our history.

1st half was “not bad?”

We beat the Hell out of two conference teams in a row. Check the archives and see how many times that’s happened in our history.
Patrol, I am just summarizing how horrible we can be. That 2nd half actually looked like Paul Wulff Offense.

Call it what you want, but to me... that's some of the worst I have ever seen.

I'm not joking...

Our home field against Arizona State when we have them down 28 to 0 and we could've had our offense following fortune cookies and come out the same.

That 2nd half SUCKED

Patrol, I am just summarizing how horrible we can be. That 2nd half actually looked like Paul Wulff Offense.

Call it what you want, but to me... that's some of the worst I have ever seen.

I'm not joking...

Our home field against Arizona State when we have them down 28 to 0 and we could've had our offense following fortune cookies and come out the same.

That 2nd half SUCKED
Had you attended the game, you would have better understood why. It was bone chilling cold, the fans left, and the game was over.

Had you attended the game, you would have better understood why. It was bone chilling cold, the fans left, and the game was over.
I was there, and I was not OK with the 2nd half performance on offense or the 4th quarter performance on D. Backups should have been in wholesale by the 4th quarter, but We did not play a full game.

We should have been running the ball and the clock, instead we let Ward throw most of the time into the mid 4th. Offense couldn’t even get a first down. Defense couldn’t tackle. Sure it was a comfortable lead. We’ve blown bigger ones…and you don’t get to pack up at halftime because you played well before half.

I was at the game. Challenge me again
There is no challenge. The game was 100% decided at halftime. That impacts a teams focus. Our offensive line suffered another injury, and we weren’t able to run the ball well. ASU stuffed us for losses on just about every 1st down run in the 2nd half, so we were forced to pass 2/3 of the downs.

The 5’7 165lbs 1AA transfer #12 is the key to our offensive engine. As concerning as that is, he’s the guy that gets us in gear. Him getting hurt was the turning point yesterday for Ward & the offense in the 2nd half..

There was very little development & talent infusion for this WR group over the last two years and it’s glaringly obvious. (The byproduct of only throwing the ball to 2 little slot guys Harris & Jackson every play). Hopefully Morris & Fulani have early calls into every JC & transfer portal WR advertising immediate playing time to fill our rotation in ‘23. We have a desired 7-8 man rotation that’s down to 3.5 if you will. We had #26 Anderson Grover running patterns out there yesterday & Leyton Smithison was recruited to play safety is now a key cog at WR as a freshman.

Last edited:
UW is so much better than they were last year. WSU didn't see that much of a bump, might have even went backwards in some ways. Frustrating. That game will be tough.

Arizona is all dependent on how good DeLaura plays. If he's on it 100% its a toss up game.

There is no challenge. The game was 100% decided at halftime. That impacts a teams focus. Our offensive line suffered another injury, and we weren’t able to run the ball well. ASU stuffed us for losses on just about every 1st down run in the 2nd half, so we were forced to pass 2/3 of the downs.
No way. That 2nd half showed that we are still incredibly limited offensively and have very little ability to adjust/accept on the fly.

If we were going to be so "smart" then we aren't going to be at the Arizona State 25 and run 3 pass plays in a row with a 14 yard sack on 3 down to then take a delay of game and punt.

The game was not decided at halftime. We lost focus, ASU didn’t. We stopped being creative on offense and reverted back to what we were doing when we lost 4 of our first 5 conference games. Ward was not throwing well, but we kept making him do it. He kept missing, and kept stopping the clock. Worse, it meant we were having short drives and giving ASU short fields, against our defense that had no time between series.

This is the perfect recipe for blowing a lead.

The defense did just enough to hang onto the lead in the 2nd half. The offense did nothing to help them - again. If they had come out in the 3rd and put up 7-10 points, we’ve got the 2nd string in the game by the mid 4th. Instead, the starters stayed all the way because they had to. That’s not a game that’s over at halftime.

We’re not a very good team. Our best win is against a Wisconsin team that’s sitting at 5-5 and needs to beat Nebraska next week to make a bowl. 4 wins are against teams that have already lost 7-8 games, and the other one is Idaho - a middle of the pack Big Sky team. We don’t get to cost after halftime against anyone…and even if we can, we shouldn’t.

The game was not decided at halftime. We lost focus, ASU didn’t. We stopped being creative on offense and reverted back to what we were doing when we lost 4 of our first 5 conference games. Ward was not throwing well, but we kept making him do it. He kept missing, and kept stopping the clock. Worse, it meant we were having short drives and giving ASU short fields, against our defense that had no time between series.

This is the perfect recipe for blowing a lead.

The defense did just enough to hang onto the lead in the 2nd half. The offense did nothing to help them - again. If they had come out in the 3rd and put up 7-10 points, we’ve got the 2nd string in the game by the mid 4th. Instead, the starters stayed all the way because they had to. That’s not a game that’s over at halftime.

We’re not a very good team. Our best win is against a Wisconsin team that’s sitting at 5-5 and needs to beat Nebraska next week to make a bowl. 4 wins are against teams that have already lost 7-8 games, and the other one is Idaho - a middle of the pack Big Sky team. We don’t get to cost after halftime against anyone…and even if we can, we shouldn’t.

“We are a good football team.”

Coach Dickert

“We are a good football team.”

Coach Dickert
Not sure I don’t agree with him. A team who has holes and depth problems . But lost to the number six team in country, 8, 12 and a good Oregon state team .

Last edited:
I don't think we are a bad team, but I also know we have some serious areas of concern.

Have we had a game yet where the offense has seemed to flow from start to finish?

Seriously... to me I'm seeing like 100 pages out of a 300 page book. Almost like it's a really good story that someone was writing and then just quit or got replaced.

WSU Offense = Game of Thrones

Reactions: BiggsCoug
I don't think we are a bad team, but I also know we have some serious areas of concern.

Have we had a game yet where the offense has seemed to flow from start to finish?

Seriously... to me I'm seeing like 100 pages out of a 300 page book. Almost like it's a really good story that someone was writing and then just quit or got replaced.

WSU Offense = Game of Thrones

Yes STANFORD. But that doesn't mean the offense is good, and Stanford is pretty bad.

“Answer the question Jerk.”
Answer about resources ? We are dead last . So we out kick our coverage when we are .500 or above . So you think wsu had more talent tk beat Oregon ? Usc? Utah? Oregon state at home ? We lost tk three top fifteen teams with a new system and qb .

Use Dennis Erickson as a bell weather . 3-7-1 with a future first round qb, a future first round running back. . Utley played in the NFL . So if we use a future national champ coach the team is doing fine right now .

Answer about resources ? We are dead last . So we out kick our coverage when we are .500 or above . So you think wsu had more talent tk beat Oregon ? Usc? Utah? Oregon state at home ? We lost tk three top fifteen teams with a new system and qb .

Use Dennis Erickson as a bell weather . 3-7-1 with a future first round qb, a future first round running back. . Utley played in the NFL . So if we use a future national champ coach the team is doing fine right now .

If you aren’t going to answer my question f off.

If you aren’t going to answer my question f off.
I did . Talent wins . You know who cost their teams … Dan Lanning . Coached like the chargers coach . In the movie tin cup great line .. sometimes park is good enough to win.

So let’s look at Oregon. Late in game when Watson got stuffed in backfield on first down . Bad call or did a kid miss a block ? Ok I will give you a bad call. Also in that game on fourt down to have Thornton cover a back out wide that have them a first down … ok two calls .

Usc ? Utah . Which game did wsu leave on the table ? Oregon State ? That was a match up nightmare for us . Their strength is running the ball , playing keep
Away. Their strength on defense was their defensive back field .

so what were my expectations going into this year was 6-6 to 7-5. I probably thought ward was better than he is. I will say two things about him . Probably has a lot more upside and when he does get the ball to the receivers it gets their in a hurry .

So average then?
I thought coming into this season that 2023 would be our chance at a special season. I'm pleased with our performance this season. We lost so much production off of last years team. The fact that we're 6-6 at worse is an accomplishment and a program sustainer.

I thought coming into this season that 2023 would be our chance at a special season. I'm pleased with our performance this season. We lost so much production off of last years team. The fact that we're 6-6 at worse is an accomplishment and a program sustainer.
I'm not trying to be captain cranky butt... its just that we were sooooo close to having 8 wins right now. We should always try to improve right? Figure out what you're doing wrong and fix it.

Would we have a better shot at recruits if they watch the 1st half or 2nd half? I guarantee fuw just earned a recruit after their 2nd half performance. Did we?

To my Cougar grave, I'm going to remain pissed about that 2nd half.

Yeah, a win is a win. We've hit the bowl party when just 2 weeks ago we were questioning it.

For the life of me, I'm still not understanding why we turn into 2008 offensively so much this year.

It's either coaching, players, or competition or a mix of all 3. From all that I've seem, it sure points more towards the coaching.

Reactions: BiggsCoug
I did . Talent wins . You know who cost their teams … Dan Lanning . Coached like the chargers coach . In the movie tin cup great line .. sometimes park is good enough to win.

So let’s look at Oregon. Late in game when Watson got stuffed in backfield on first down . Bad call or did a kid miss a block ? Ok I will give you a bad call. Also in that game on fourt down to have Thornton cover a back out wide that have them a first down … ok two calls .

Usc ? Utah . Which game did wsu leave on the table ? Oregon State ? That was a match up nightmare for us . Their strength is running the ball , playing keep
Away. Their strength on defense was their defensive back field .

so what were my expectations going into this year was 6-6 to 7-5. I probably thought ward was better than he is. I will say two things about him . Probably has a lot more upside and when he does get the ball to the receivers it gets their in a hurry .

You didnt answer the question.

Tsion Nunnally had some crushing mistakes yesterday. Let's not avoid pointing to that. Easily 14 points worth. I love Nunnally's upside, but yesterday was brutal.
Great call. I forgot about that, but his mistakes/screwups were 1st half right?

You didnt answer the question.
Yes I did but I will delete the nuance. I think they coached a win in Wisconsin...so we got a coach win there.

Was Oregon the more talented team but two mistakes in play calls cost us the game. So if you are going to seek perfection they lost one and won one.

Sure blame coaching for Oregon State. Even tho top 25 team, on the road let's pretend the other teams don't have coaching either.

So by my math they cost us one game.

I'm not trying to be captain cranky butt... its just that we were sooooo close to having 8 wins right now. We should always try to improve right? Figure out what you're doing wrong and fix it.

Would we have a better shot at recruits if they watch the 1st half or 2nd half? I guarantee fuw just earned a recruit after their 2nd half performance. Did we?

To my Cougar grave, I'm going to remain pissed about that 2nd half.

Yeah, a win is a win. We've hit the bowl party when just 2 weeks ago we were questioning it.

For the life of me, I'm still not understanding why we turn into 2008 offensively so much this year.

It's either coaching, players, or competition or a mix of all 3. From all that I've seem, it sure points more towards the coaching.
5591...I use to be like you. And I don't mean that in a bad way, I expected coaches to be perfect or close to perfect. I use to call Mike Price the clapping clown. He was just a goofy guy that wore duck hunting garb to practice before the Duck game.

That alone pissed me off. It was like you have all off season to have fun, get in the ivory tower and coach.

Then I went to the Wyoming WSU game in 1990. A close friend of mine is related to the then DC and Dline coach at Wyoming. I sat next to a couple of his former colleagues who came from out of town to see him coach. Both coaches had coached D1 and a pretty high level.

Joe Tiller was WSU's OC, and Wyoming's defense literally shut down WSU's offense and Joe Tiller. I thought Tiller was horrible, that we should have fired him.

I am not sure I was all that far from Price's wife and I am not sure my displeasure wasn't heard by her and her family. The coach I was sitting next to looked at me and said" Ed, I love your passion. The program needs fans like you. But I am going to throw a thought out there. You are amped up over the lack of adjustments, correct?" That was correct. "He looked straight at me and in a very nice way said, "does it occur to you there are 9 coaches on the other side making adjustments as well? That things are not static? And by the time you notice one adjustment I would be willing to bet each side has already made an adjustment, countered, then had a second adjustment and counter before you ever noticed".

The following spring after a 3-8 in which Bledsoe started I think 5 games, I went to the spring game and visited a friend who joined the WSU staff. I wanted to see what they had in the younger players. The following event changed my entire opinion on coaching. Mac Bledsoe, Drew's father stood outside their makeshift locker room after the spring game and in his cowboy hat and boots said "trust me Mike Price will get it done". If Bledsoe's father had so much certainty why would I not give Price a break.

So let me take you back to 1981-83 ish. I wrote to the editor of the evergreen and was published about my dismay in how Raveling ran his offense. The wheel he would always call out, the offense I thought was restrictive especially with a guy like Craig Ehlo playing point. Run these guys. Many years later I found Ravelings email address, long after he stopped coaching. I told him what I had did and how wrong I was and thanked him for all the years he coached. You know what he said "ED, you are a fan. I would rather have you coming to the games and bitching at me than you being apathetic to the program. There is no reason to apologize".

The third time I was wrong was with Joe Tiller. If I was a parent of a high school player who played JV I wouldn't let Tiller coach my kids JV team. The guy seemed to have done alright at Wyoming then Purdue. Sometimes things take time. To overreact, fire people after 8 games is plain old stupid.

UW is so much better than they were last year. WSU didn't see that much of a bump, might have even went backwards in some ways. Frustrating. That game will be tough.

Arizona is all dependent on how good DeLaura plays. If he's on it 100% its a toss up game.
I'd go so far as to say that if JdL is 100% they should be favored. The reason UA's record is what it is, is because of how seldom he is 100%. It speaks for itself.

Reactions: justinbgocougs
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT