ADVERTISEMENT

If Coach Rolovich is canned my Top 5 replacements!

CougFan1980

Recruit
Silver Member
Sep 22, 2021
No one likes to see a coach get fired especially only under two years but Coach Rolovich refuses to follow the vaccine manadates and needs to look at himself in the mirror if he is the right leader to lead this the Cougar program into the future and beyond. After, showing promise under former Coach Mike Leach the program has fallen backwards into mediocrity like the Wulff and Doba years. It is a leadership problem. Mike Leach, Mike Price and others showed you can win in the Palouse with the right leadership, system, and mindset. So, who can replace coach Rolovich if he is not the man for the job. Here are my five Top 5 replacements!

1. Jamey Chadwell, Coastal Carolina HC- He is an up and comer and has won in a tough spot in the South but might wait for a SEC job to open up. Since rebuilding the program early he went 11-1 last year, and is 3-0 this year. He runs a good system, and would be a good fit in Pullman. Overall record: 82-52

2. Jim McElwain, Central Michigan HC- Former Nick Saban offensive coordinator, and Colorado state and Florida coach. He has had an up and down tenure but is a good offensive mind and has won everywhere but not did win enough to stay in Gainesville. He has been a better coach at the mid-major level, and his system would work at WSU. Overall record: 55-36

3. Alex Grinch, Oklahoma DC- Former Washington State DC and current Oklahoma DC was excellent in the Palouse and could thrive as a head coach with the right Assistants.

4. Ryan Silverfield, Memphis Head Coach- Riskiest coach on the list because he hasn't been a coach for long and former Memphis coaches Mike Norvell and Justin Fuente have been terrible at their schools but you judge can't Silverfield by them, and could be be an excellent fit and might be a better coach than those two. Went 8-3 last, and beat Mike Leach this year. Overall record: 11-4

5. Bill Clark, UAB Head coach- Has coached mainly in the South and is probably waiting for a SEC job but has thrived at UAB in a tough place to coach. Went 11-3 in 2018 at UAB which is tough to do. Overall record:53-27

Others candidates:

Deion Sanders, Jackson State HC (Probably waiting for the USC or Florida State jobs top open up)-So far has has done good job at Jackson State, and would bring in better talent to Pullman than coach Rolovich has done. Wouldn't mind coach prime in Pullman at least for a short time!

Hugh Freeze, Liberty HC- Best coach on the list but comes with baggage. Definitely a better coach than Coach Rolovich and would win as well as Mike Leach did here!

Bill O'Brien, Alabama OC- Probably waiting a better job like the USC job but he is an excellent coach like proved with the Texans and at Penn. State. Wouldn't mind O'Brien at all. Excellent coach!

Last edited:
Reactions: Coug90
No one likes to see a coach get fired especially only under two years but Coach Rolovich refuses to follow the vaccine manadates and needs to look at himself in the mirror if he is the right leader to lead this the Cougar program into the future and beyond. After, showing promise under former Coach Mike Leach the program has fallen backwards into the mediocrity like the Wulff and Doba years. It is a leadership problem. Mike Leach, Mike Price and others showed you can win in the Palouse with the right leadership, system, and mindset. So, who can replace coach Rolovich if he is not the man for the job. Here are my five Top 5 replacements!

1. Jamey Chadwell, Coastal Carolina- He is an up and comer and has won in a tough spot in the South but might wait for a SEC job to open up. Since rebuilding the program early he went 11-1 last year, and is 2-0 this year. He runs a good system, and would be a good fit in Pullman. Overall record: 82-52

2. Jim Elwain, Central Michigan- Former Nick Saban offensive coordinator, and Colorado state and Florida coach. He has had an up and down tenure but is a good offensive mind and has won everywhere but not did win enough to stay in Gainesville. He has been a better coach at the mid-major level, and his system would work at WSU. Overall record: 55-36

3. Alex Grinch, Oklahoma DC- Former Washington State DC and current Oklahoma DC was excellent in the Palouse and could thrive as a head coach with the right Assistants.

4. Ryan Silverfield, Memphis Head Coach- Riskiest coach on the list because he hasn't been a coach for long and former Memphis coaches Mike Norvell and Justin Fuente have been terrible at their schools but you judge can't Silverfield by them, and could be be an excellent fit and might be a better coach than those two. Went 8-3 last, and beat Mike Leach this year. Overall record: 11-4

5. Bill Clark, UAB Head coach- Has coached mainly in the South and is probably waiting for a SEC job but has thrived at UAB in a tough place to coach. Went 11-3 in 2018 at UAB which is tough to do. Overall record:53-27
Considering the Rolo and Smith hires the guess here is that Chun would prefer to look out west. I would thing for a couple of reasons. 1. Recruiting the same geography, relationships built. 2. Ability to keep someone here longer term and not needing to hire a replacement in 2 years once success is established and a blue blood out East comes offering.

The job pays $3,000,000. There aren’t a lot of jobs that pay that much. You will see guys come out of the woodwork for the WSU job.

Interesting list. Mc and Grinch are the best candidates for WSU on that list imo. I would be good with either of them.

WSU does not have the strength of brand name it needs so a coach can walk in with a polo shirt and land guys. The school needs a coach that has a strong reputation.

Reactions: kougkurt
The job pays $3,000,000. There aren’t a lot of jobs that pay that much. You will see guys come out of the woodwork for the WSU job.

Interesting list. Mc and Grinch are the best candidates for WSU on that list imo. I would be good with either of them.

WSU does not have the strength of brand name it needs so a coach can walk in with a polo shirt and land guys. The school needs a coach that has a strong reputation.
I believe Coach Leach was making more than that before he left but definitely got a raise at Miss. State. The Washington State job does pay well though! Go Cougs!

Nice work. You just saved Chun $100,000 in consultant fees if he uses your list! Even partially uses your list. One request or suggestion: Edit ~one word ~ of the title of this thread.

If Coach Rolovich is canned my Top 5 replacements!​

Replace the word "If" for "When".

Kalen DeBoer and Tedford would be my first two stops.
I don't know if he would leave the Fresno State job after 1 year especially after beating # 13 UCLA and they might win the MWC this year. Has been as good as Tedford though. DeBoer is excellent offensive mind, QB developer and would be a great hire but but Fresno State is as good a job as the Boise State and many like Chris Peterson and Bryan Harsin took years to leave for a better job!

yeah, because you've always been so supportive of WSU coaches.

I don't know if he would leave the Fresno State job after 1 year especially after beating # 13 UCLA and they might win the MWC this year. Has been as good as Tedford though. DeBoer is excellent offensive mind, QB developer and would be a great hire but but Fresno State is as good a job as the Boise State and many like Chris Peterson and Bryan Harsin took years to leave for a better job!

Does he make $3,000,000+???

Yeah, especially when your predecessor gets canned after 1.4 seasons!

And of course those big donations from BiggsCoug ain't too shabby!

Considering the Rolo and Smith hires the guess here is that Chun would prefer to look out west. I would thing for a couple of reasons. 1. Recruiting the same geography, relationships built. 2. Ability to keep someone here longer term and not needing to hire a replacement in 2 years once success is established and a blue blood out East comes offering.
Chun clearly favors head coaching experience, and coaches that have a system. Whether he would consider a Power 5 coordinator is unclear.

Grinch is never coming back to Pullman and Jeff Tedford is retired for medical reasons. They aren't going to be candidates.

Tedford needs to shoot it up for gameday. Make a play in the big game.

Grinch prob has his eyes set on bigger jobs. Which may or may not open or have mutual interest in him.

Do you think was Rolo as capable of putting together a staff that can make a run anywhere in any conference outside the Big Sky? The reason I lost trust in Rolo is that he wouldn't hire anyone smarter that himself. He completely refused to hire anyone outside his previous staff and that was a warning sign in addition to anyone announcing staff salaries. Where is the list of salaries?

The quick hook on Rolo could be a red flag to other coaches, under normal circumstances. I think candidates would understand the circumstances though. It's not like WSU has a history of firing coaches early.

The quick hook on Rolo could be a red flag to other coaches, under normal circumstances. I think candidates would understand the circumstances though. It's not like WSU has a history of firing coaches early.
It might actually increase the interest from coaches who are not like minded with Rolo, and deter those that are. Sounds like a massive win for WSU.

Reactions: M-I-Coug
It might actually increase the interest from coaches who are not like minded with Rolo, and deter those that are. Sounds like a massive win for WSU.
Perhaps they would need to get former high school football teammates General Milley and Dr. Rachel Levine on the search committee to send the correct message?

Well, how much of your pool of potential replacements is going to be fond of vax mandates and tweetstorms over vax mandates when you're already bottom-tier in resources and fundraising? Just for example, Graham Harrell. He's not a public employee, so he's not subject to any vax mandate. He ought to be a person worthy of interest. I don't know what his politics are, but the fact that question even exists seems bad to me.

Well, how much of your pool of potential replacements is going to be fond of vax mandates and tweetstorms over vax mandates when you're already bottom-tier in resources and fundraising? Just for example, Graham Harrell. He's not a public employee, so he's not subject to any vax mandate. He ought to be a person worthy of interest. I don't know what his politics are, but the fact that question even exists seems bad to me.
Hard to say, but no other coach in the conference had to skip media day for being unvaccinated, so 🤷‍♂️

Just in terms of X's and O's, I like Hugh Freeze. Probably too much of a southern boy. though. If dialing 1-900 numbers makes him a better coach, so be it.

I didn't see anyone mention the Utah State coach. What about him?

I have seen GrahamHarrells name thrown around. I like the idea of an up and coming coach who throws the ball around...but his offenses haven't set the world on fire

Last edited:
Why...your coaches goals have to be aligned with his bosses.

Hard to say, but no other coach in the conference had to skip media day for being unvaccinated, so 🤷‍♂️
I'm doubtful the 11 other Pac-12 coaches are potential hires. And by "skip media day" you mean attend remotely.

You can ask a lot of hot chicks to the dance, doesn't mean any of them will go with you.

Leach is the only known name that WSU has ever hired, it is because of alleged baggage which he he didn't have, WSU took a chance, plus Leach was unique in that a place like Pullman appealed to him. Almost every other coach that has ever been hired was promoted from within or was an up and coming coach at in a non power 5 conference or an assistant from a big school. Splash hires is not the norm, nor within the budget or mind set at WSU, and thus the mediocre life time record.

You can ask a lot of hot chicks to the dance, doesn't mean any of them will go with you.

Leach is the only known name that WSU has ever hired, it is because of alleged baggage which he he didn't have, WSU took a chance, plus Leach was unique in that a place like Pullman appealed to him. Almost every other coach that has ever been hired was promoted from within or was an up and coming coach at in a non power 5 conference or an assistant from a big school. Splash hires is not the norm, nor within the budget or mind set at WSU, and thus the mediocre life time record.

The job didnt pay then what it does now. When you hit the market with $500,000 it is different than $3,500,000.

This was from 2020, 3.5 million puts WSU in middle of the pac of the conference

1. David Shaw, Stanford — $4,812,197
  2. Kyle Whittingham, Utah — $4,634,178
  3. Clay Helton, USC — $4,569,507
  4. Chip Kelly, UCLA — $4,300,000
  5. Herman Edwards, ASU — $3,640,000
  6. Kevin Sumlin, Arizona — $3,283,333
  7. Justin Wilcox, California — $3,276,248
  8. Karl Dorrell, Colorado — $3,040,000
  9. Jimmy Lake, Washington — $2,912,500
  10. Nick Rolovich, Washington State — $2,870,000
  11. Mario Cristobal, Oregon — $2,542,500
  12. Jonathan Smith, Oregon State — $2,288,000
This is for all power 5 schools, 3.5 million doesn't get you in the top 40

Power 5 football salaries

This was from 2020, 3.5 million puts WSU in middle of the pac of the conference

1. David Shaw, Stanford — $4,812,197
  2. Kyle Whittingham, Utah — $4,634,178
  3. Clay Helton, USC — $4,569,507
  4. Chip Kelly, UCLA — $4,300,000
  5. Herman Edwards, ASU — $3,640,000
  6. Kevin Sumlin, Arizona — $3,283,333
  7. Justin Wilcox, California — $3,276,248
  8. Karl Dorrell, Colorado — $3,040,000
  9. Jimmy Lake, Washington — $2,912,500
  10. Nick Rolovich, Washington State — $2,870,000
  11. Mario Cristobal, Oregon — $2,542,500
  12. Jonathan Smith, Oregon State — $2,288,000
This is for all power 5 schools, 3.5 million doesn't get you in the top 40

Power 5 football salaries

It doesnt have to be in the top of the conference. There is more demand than supply for $3.5m coaching jobs. You would be surprised who comes looking for work at that price versus $500,000.

at $500,000 you end up with the girl that has the great personality. Agree you won't get a good assistant coach for $500,000 they'd be taking a cut in pay, you won't get anyone at that price. And yes you can get a good coach for 3.5, just not sure you can get the "splash hire" for that price. Leach had built up credibility with the program, which helps, I hate to see that disappear quickly.

at $500,000 you end up with the girl that has the great personality. Agree you won't get a good assistant coach for $500,000 they'd be taking a cut in pay, you won't get anyone at that price. And yes you can get a good coach for 3.5, just not sure you can get the "splash hire" for that price. Leach had built up credibility with the program, which helps, I hate to see that disappear quickly.

Cred is gone. Turd flushed it. It will be interesting to see what happens. This is twice now in 15 years WSU has gotten a turd. They should realize they need someone with P5 experience and SoCal cred. If not, here we go again.

Reactions: WASH ST A&M FAN

But the girl with the great personality hustles in practice....so I hear

$3m will get many people interested, but pretty much all P5 head jobs pay that or more, and some coaches are in positions to be choosy. E.g., Sark didn't jump to take Colorado when it was open, and now he's at UT making a lot more, leaving aside the challenges he'll have keeping people happy there. It's pretty obvious Grinch isn't going to a coach-killer job. Seems likely that Harrell isn't either. Someone like Brennan or McIlwain almost certainly would, though, as would many others. When Rolo was hired, I was saying we didn't need to even pay the guy $3m, but thankfully Chun did a decent job on his buyout. I didn't see anyone else banging down his door, even though I won't pretend that he didn't seem like a solid candidate in terms of Chun's criteria and the candidates available to WSU.

Reactions: Wazzubrooz
Should offensive scheme play into the next potential head coaching decision or do you just take the best coach available regardless of scheme? It just seems that we had better results in the past with pistol, R&S and air raid type offensive schemes than other types.

It doesnt have to be in the top of the conference. There is more demand than supply for $3.5m coaching jobs. You would be surprised who comes looking for work at that price versus $500,000.

So, Nick Saban will be burning up the phone lines for $3.5million?

Should offensive scheme play into the next potential head coaching decision or do you just take the best coach available regardless of scheme? It just seems that we had better results in the past with pistol, R&S and air raid type offensive schemes than other types.

I think the coach needs to run a scheme. As to the specific scheme, I’m open to ideas. The Air Raid under Leach obviously worked here. Obviously that had a lot to do with Leach, and just bringing in someone like Seth Litrell doesn’t mean we’re back to competing for the division.

People are welcome to disagree…. I would rather see the $ invested into the TE position be pushed into the OL. It takes more bodies on the OL at WSU to make the group thrive. If you need a TE, use a 6th tackle or a DE.

My preference is a passing offense. But if someone shows up and can put out a well coached scheme that’s cool.

People are welcome to disagree…. I would rather see the $ invested into the TE position be pushed into the OL. It takes more bodies on the OL at WSU to make the group thrive. If you need a TE, use a 6th tackle or a DE.

My preference is a passing offense. But if someone shows up and can put out a well coached scheme that’s cool.

I love the tight end. We had some good ones here. Definitely a weapon heading down the seam for sure

I love the tight end. We had some good ones here. Definitely a weapon heading down the seam for sure

Yes. And it also takes away from the OL. So if you had to choose between having a consistently good OL but 0 TEs or having bad to average OL but TEs, which are you choosing?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT