ADVERTISEMENT

If the Quacks and Fuskies went to the B1G ...

PeteTheChop

Hall Of Fame
May 25, 2005
and crapped the bed, while the Cougs and Beavs consistently dominated the Mountain West ...

72802849.jpg

WSU and KSU are very intertwined, from leadership on down. Only WSU and KSU are BSL4 vet facilities. Lots of connections. But I dunno if we’ll end up there.

Good point ... didn't know about that existing partnership.

There are some of the best posters here and even at Brands X and Y who think WSU (and OSU) will get left out of the Big XII's gold rush, but I just don't see it.

In addition to the academic reputation Chugz cited, the Seattle and Portland markets are quite valuable. Lots of Cougs and Beavs license plates and bumper stickers in those two areas.

No. Remember that the Mountain West's TV deal is a tiny fraction of the Pac-12's.

Yeah, that's a good point.

I wonder how much adding two Pac-12 schools would boost the MWC deal from its current payouts.

Gotta figure WSU and OSU could demand a bigger share of the pie in that conference, similar to the deal Oklahoma and Texas squeezed out of the Big XII administration.

425, what's your thoughts of the Big XII making the ultimate power move and taking all of UA, ASU, CU, OSU, Utah and WSU. Wouldn't that be a win-win for the conference and all 6 schools?

Yeah, that's a good point.

I wonder how much adding two Pac-12 schools would boost the MWC deal from its current payouts.

Gotta figure WSU and OSU could demand a bigger share of the pie in that conference, similar to the deal Oklahoma and Texas squeezed out of the Big XII administration.

425, what's your thoughts of the Big XII making the ultimate power move and taking all of UA, ASU, CU, OSU, Utah and WSU. Wouldn't that be a win-win for the conference and all 6 schools?
If that offer was on the table today, with the Cougs and everyone else getting a full share of an expanded payout (basically, the media partners offering 50% more for the inventory, allowing full shares to the incremental 6 schools), I'd take it. Getting into what would become the third superconference, even if the clear #3, would be a lot better than reacting to piecemeal departures like UW and Oregon going to the Big Ten and the four corners and Arizona schools going to the Big 12 at that time. Then the Big 12, Big Ten, and SEC could pick through the ACC. This is all just highly theoretical, though. Almost certainly not going to happen.

Reactions: PeteTheChop
Getting into what would become the third superconference, even if the clear #3, would be a lot better than reacting to piecemeal departures like UW and Oregon going to the Big Ten and the four corners and Arizona schools going to the Big 12 at that time. Then the Big 12, Big Ten, and SEC could pick through the ACC. This is all just highly theoretical, though. Almost certainly not going to happen.

IMO, it very well could happen in some form.

Industries consolidate all the time. Why not have the nation's biggest College Sports brands fit neatly within three conferences in a way that all current "Power 5" institutions have a home?

It would drive up the price of future media deals because that trio of "superconferences" would almost completely monopolize views and media attention in the college sports space

Who doesn't think WSU and OSU would hold their own competing in a league made of the Big 12, the Four Corners 4 from the Pac-12 and a few others to fill out the conference?

History says the Cougs and Beavs would do just fine on the field and in the stands — and the TV ratings would reflect as much.

The conference would take a number of mountain west schools to stay afloat if huskies and ducks bolt.

I think Kevin Warrens departure to the bears is interesting and might indicate the big10s lack of interest in expanding.

Cougs and Beavs in big 12 makes sense. Cougs bring Seattle market and ratings.

The Pac-12 might be even more screwed than anyone thought, by the way. Even the meager payouts schools have been getting were overpaid.

Now with the IPF's future settled and secure, hopefully Chan and Schultzie are focused on finding a way out of what has beocme an unsalvageable situation

The conference would take a number of mountain west schools to stay afloat if huskies and ducks bolt.

I think Kevin Warrens departure to the bears is interesting and might indicate the big10s lack of interest in expanding.

Cougs and Beavs in big 12 makes sense. Cougs bring Seattle and Portland markets and ratings.

Well said and something for the "Debbie Downers" here to ponder

The Big 10 does not want the mutts or the quacks. Oregon doesn't bring much except being full of themselves. Mutts, maybe more, but think of the logistics. FUSC and FUCLA are idiots.

Let's just go get SDSU and UNLV and strap down.

It's unbelievable that the AD's at USC and UCLA are so myopic and focused on money that they can't see how bad of a decision that they are making. UCLA is going to be completely irrelevant there (of course, that's really no change) and USC is going to find that playing in the Big House and the Shoe in the late season is a miserable experience. Most of their opponents will get one long road trip every other year or less....they are going to have to deal with that 4-5 times per year. Such a moronic decision.

In terms of our future, I'd love to see the teams that remain in the Pac-12 join up with the Big 12 in a mega-conference. I don't see it happening though. The sad reality is that the SEC and B1G are probably going to eventually swallow up all of the "Top 48" programs in the nation and create super league that hogs all of the TV money and best TV timeslots. The challenge for them is that they have a few bottom feeders that would need to be cut loose and only time will tell if their burning desire for maximum cash will over-ride what tradition that is left. I'm looking at you Vandy.

Reactions: 250vertical
It's unbelievable that the AD's at USC and UCLA are so myopic and focused on money that they can't see how bad of a decision that they are making. UCLA is going to be completely irrelevant there (of course, that's really no change) and USC is going to find that playing in the Big House and the Shoe in the late season is a miserable experience. Most of their opponents will get one long road trip every other year or less....they are going to have to deal with that 4-5 times per year. Such a moronic decision.

In terms of our future, I'd love to see the teams that remain in the Pac-12 join up with the Big 12 in a mega-conference. I don't see it happening though. The sad reality is that the SEC and B1G are probably going to eventually swallow up all of the "Top 48" programs in the nation and create super league that hogs all of the TV money and best TV timeslots. The challenge for them is that they have a few bottom feeders that would need to be cut loose and only time will tell if their burning desire for maximum cash will over-ride what tradition that is left. I'm looking at you Vandy.
The funniest thing for me will be watching Ohio State, Michigan, Penn State, and Wisconsin fans buy up 40K tickets when they play in Los Angeles. That’s not hyperbole either. The LA games will be home games for them as far as attendance is concerned.

Regarding the SEC and B!G swallowing up the top 48 programs, they’ll need to be careful. That’ll leave 70 other programs out there who could split off and form their own affiliation. That’s what I’d like to see happen. Have a Semi Pro super conference and a “right way” league.

The funniest thing for me will be watching Ohio State, Michigan, Penn State, and Wisconsin fans buy up 40K tickets when they play in Los Angeles. That’s not hyperbole either. The LA games will be home games for them as far as attendance is concerned.

Regarding the SEC and B!G swallowing up the top 48 programs, they’ll need to be careful. That’ll leave 70 other programs out there who could split off and form their own affiliation. That’s what I’d like to see happen. Have a Semi Pro super conference and a “right way” league.
I see the two groups ultimately splitting - whether it's the 48 that go and do their own thing, or the 70 that do, I'm not sure. Really, I wouldn't be that surprised if it's both - with football ceasing to be part of the NCAA.

I'm curious to see how the scheduling of the two big conferences will go, especially with the new playoff format. Those leagues could back themselves into a corner.

If they let the bottom feeders hang around, it cuts into their share of the profits and makes them look less. But, it creates additional scheduling options and pads the schedule of the upper tier - they don't have to play each other as often.

If they cut the bottom feeders loose, there will be more matchups between the upper tier teams that someone has to lose. Losses mean lower rankings, which means fewer playoff berths. Under the new system, a 24-team Big 10 still only gets one automatic berth for the conference champ. Non-champs who are highly ranked will still have a shot, but if you're outside the top 12 and you're not a conference champ...you're probably out. I think this system creates a disincentive to play competitive non-conference opponents, a disincentive to be in large conference, and an incentive for conferences to have 1/4 to 1/3 of their members be cannon fodder for the others.

ADVERTISEMENT