ADVERTISEMENT

If you could live anywhere………

kougkurt

Hall Of Fame
Nov 19, 2011
So the wife and I are half way through a 5 week getaway to San Diego. We were walking from Ocean Beach to Sunset Cliffs today and I asked, why don’t we live here full time? Not to hot, not to cold. Nice ocean breeze. I can’t think of a better place to live
You?

That area is great, and it isn't usually like you've seen it recently, either (massive rain and flooding, sewage from Mexico closing the beaches, etc.). Was very close to moving there a few years ago after almost moving there 20 years ago. Went elsewhere both times for career / tax reasons.

My realistic financial "anywhere" situation would be splitting time between Boston and Arizona. San Diego would be the most ideal, but Arizona is the most realistic.

Same - really tired of winters but realistically to pull off being a snow bird I’ll have to look for something cheaper then SD. Arizona likely but possibly Gulf of Mexico around the Florida panhandle would fit $$ wise what I think will be my budget.

Same - really tired of winters but realistically to pull off being a snow bird I’ll have to look for something cheaper then SD. Arizona likely but possibly Gulf of Mexico around the Florida panhandle would fit $$ wise what I think will be my budget.

Like 425 said, for tax reasons California is not friendly. S.D. Is the only year round place for me. Arizona would be much more affordable, but like the Palm Springs area, I couldn’t do the summers.

I am enjoying Costa Rica right now. I live in the central valley surrounded by mountains and don't need AC. I thought I would end up in a beach town but came away with the realization that beach towns are good for visiting...but not for living for me.

If you are open to living abroad, Portugal also ticks a lot of boxes.

I am enjoying Costa Rica right now. I live in the central valley surrounded by mountains and don't need AC. I thought I would end up in a beach town but came away with the realization that beach towns are good for visiting...but not for living for me.

If you are open to living abroad, Portugal also ticks a lot of boxes.

Impressive.

Are you multi-lingual?

Reactions: spongeandshoot
Hawaii. I enjoy the cycles of warm rain and sun, with a background culture of just relax. Can’t think of a better spot than NW Maui.

Reactions: kougkurt
Impressive.

Are you multi-lingual?

Mi Espanol es mierda jaja

I can get by and have made lots of friends down here. I am working on it...and its a lot better than when I arrived as I didn't know any Spanish.

I just had to get out of Seattle with a winter on lockdown approaching and figured I would fill in the details as I went along.

We've lived in the suburbs of Seattle area our entire life. We are waiting for our daughter to finish college, (she'll probably transfer to the UW, even though she's been indoctrinated a COUG, and been to Pullman many, many times.

Really would be nice to get out of the 8 months of cloudy, drizzle, cold and rainy King County, Seattle. Buy a somewhere warm, outside of Washington.

1. Cave Creek or Carefree, Arizona
2. Port. St. Lucie, Florida
3. San Antonio, Texas
4. Lake Chapala, Mexico

Most often, in the real estate journey, what you start with a short list, but you often end off in a different city or county.

We've lived in the suburbs of Seattle area our entire life. We are waiting for our daughter to finish college, (she'll probably transfer to the UW, even though she's been indoctrinated a COUG, and been to Pullman many, many times.

Really would be nice to get out of the 8 months of cloudy, drizzle, cold and rainy King County, Seattle. Buy a somewhere warm, outside of Washington.

1. Cave Creek or Carefree, Arizona
2. Port. St. Lucie, Florida
3. San Antonio, Texas
4. Lake Chapala, Mexico

Most often, in the real estate journey, what you start with a short list, but you often end off in a different city or county.

Ive been to San Antonio many times. I would encourage you to look north into Boerne. That part of Texas is gonna boom. The stretch of highway between Austin and SA is filling in. It’ll have 1,000,000+ in prob 20 years. Also, don’t sleep on South Padre Island.

One of my good friends lives in Cave Creek. She and her husband love it there.

Hilton Head area. Another spot that reminded me a lot of Hawaii. Beautiful area.
Yeah kind of I could see that with the various resorts.

Savannah is tops on the list right now. Not too big (yet), not too small and a pretty decent airport that makes traveling simple.

Across the River a bit is Bluffton and Beaufort SC which each kind of have their own vibe too. Charleston is cool too but it’s a little too far north, a little too big and is getting more pricey since Jay Inslee drove Boeing production to SC.

How adventurous are you? Panama! The currency is the US dollar. Easy visas and retiree friendly. A tax haven. Panama City is the most modern city in central and south America. It is a world airline transport hub. Your choice of Pacific and Caribbean style beaches. It is outside the hurricane zone. You can actually afford to live on the beach. Not close to, but on the beach! If you like cooler climates, head to the mountain communities and temps are in the 70s year round. Huge ex pat community, frequently rated the best place to retire abroad.

For me, BFE in the mountains surrounded by 50 miles of trees, narrow roads, and lots of game. No need to tell anyone “Get off my lawn” because there isn’t anyone around.

The good life. Four seasons, cold winters, mild summers, good hunting and fishing, and most of all—silence.
Yeah, I’ve tried that. We have a home in Manson, quiet as hell, a hunters and fishermen’s paradise, 4 dramatically different season. I’m not a hunter and can take or leave fishing The South and Southeast have storm and humidity issues. Give me dry fairways and competitive pickleball.

How adventurous are you? Panama! The currency is the US dollar. Easy visas and retiree friendly. A tax haven. Panama City is the most modern city in central and south America. It is a world airline transport hub. Your choice of Pacific and Caribbean style beaches. It is outside the hurricane zone. You can actually afford to live on the beach. Not close to, but on the beach! If you like cooler climates, head to the mountain communities and temps are in the 70s year round. Huge ex pat community, frequently rated the best place to retire abroad.
Leaving for Panama next week, in fact.

Interesting thread, my wife and I are trying to figure out where to retire. Have lived in the suburbs of Seattle for almost 35 years. The weather is an issue but also the Property taxes are going to drive me away, just wait until the 2023 bill comes, be ready for a 25% or more increase. And now that the kids are grown and gone, don’t need to be here any longer. Some place warmer and dryer would be nice in the winter. Have a 2nd home in the Chelan area, which is great for spring, summer and early fall, but winter there is not ideal. So finding some place to live from November-March would be ideal. Always liked the greater Phoenix area, but having 2nd thoughts on that.

Interesting thread, my wife and I are trying to figure out where to retire. Have lived in the suburbs of Seattle for almost 35 years. The weather is an issue but also the Property taxes are going to drive me away, just wait until the 2023 bill comes, be ready for a 25% or more increase. And now that the kids are grown and gone, don’t need to be here any longer. Some place warmer and dryer would be nice in the winter. Have a 2nd home in the Chelan area, which is great for spring, summer and early fall, but winter there is not ideal. So finding some place to live from November-March would be ideal. Always liked the greater Phoenix area, but having 2nd thoughts on that.

Move to Miami. Spend your retirement partying like a rockstar. Die broke and exhausted. Let the stories of your rockstar life live forever.

Cougsocal:

I can't believe this.

Was going to add Panama on my short list. Recently, on an amazing Caribbean Cruise, dined next to another couple that are going to buy and move to Panama.

They were raving and selling us on Panama. Either close to the beach, or near the mountains.

We've been to Panama before, on a previous cruise....but of course you see nothing but the cruise port, when you're there for a half a day.

Must be a sign, two people strongly recommending Panama. I asked about future political contention with the canal, and they said there are zero issues.

We might need to strongly consider and add Panama to our list. Of course, we would have to check it out first.

Thanks.

Another great spot is Belize. Property costs and cost of living is great, the people speak speak English because it’s a former British colony and it’s beautiful! A lot of people from the US has retired there.

Reactions: 79COUG and M-I-Coug
Another great spot is Belize. Property costs and cost of living is great, the people speak speak English because it’s a former British colony and it’s beautiful! A lot of people from the US has retired there.

Belize was the one that I had been pushing my wife on. The trouble with Belize based on my research is that you don't want to be anywhere near the Capitol and the areas that are great to live don't necessarily have the best services. I know that Mexican health care is pretty decent, but I started losing interest in Belize when I read that you have to go to Mexico for any real medical concerns. I'm healthy now...but that was a red flag. Most of the best housing for ex-pats is pretty close to the ocean and Belize is overdue for another hurricane. It's still on my list to visit sometime but I'm not as excited as I was originally.

We looked at the Phoenix metro area but it's gotten so damned big and it's so hot in the summer, I couldn't make that a year-round choice. We own a 2nd home in Vegas that is occupied by a couple of my family members, but Vegas is a legit craphole unless you are in the right area.

Thought about Florida but Hurricanes are a thing there.

The Panama talk has me intrigued now.

We visited Savannah in February a while back and it was a good experience. I'd want to be there in mid-summer to see if the ocean mitigates the normal southern humidity issues.

Anyone feel they need a “footprint” near home? Family, friends etc. Or liquidate everything and go. I’m conflicted.

Panama is interesting. International living is always talking about it...and it is a tax haven...but I haven't met a single person here who has good things to say about Panama(gringos or otherwise)

I know that it rains a lot in Boquete...something that isn't mentioned a lot.

A big difference in Panama and Costa Rica is the expat enclaves in Panama. From what I am told, they are almost seperate from the locals. I prefer to mix with the locals and immerese myself in the culture.

Not trying to knock your recommendaton. as the things you listed are all true..I just found it very interesting when I got down here that what people who have been there say is in stark contrast to what International Living magazine says.

the other things that were mentioned is that the locals really don't like gringos due to the Panamal canal...and it is hot AF if you are anywhere but the mountains.

And one more thing that I kinda thought was funny. The food is known to be pretty crappy...and in the episode of Narcos where Pablo and crew had to flee to Panama, they were bitching how hot it was and how the food sucks. I got a chuckle out of that.

So the wife and I are half way through a 5 week getaway to San Diego. We were walking from Ocean Beach to Sunset Cliffs today and I asked, why don’t we live here full time? Not to hot, not to cold. Nice ocean breeze. I can’t think of a better place to live
You?
Big Island in the winter, and Lake Coeur d' Alene in the summer.

Not sure I'll make it financially, but that's the goal.

Belize was the one that I had been pushing my wife on. The trouble with Belize based on my research is that you don't want to be anywhere near the Capitol and the areas that are great to live don't necessarily have the best services. I know that Mexican health care is pretty decent, but I started losing interest in Belize when I read that you have to go to Mexico for any real medical concerns. I'm healthy now...but that was a red flag. Most of the best housing for ex-pats is pretty close to the ocean and Belize is overdue for another hurricane. It's still on my list to visit sometime but I'm not as excited as I was originally.

We looked at the Phoenix metro area but it's gotten so damned big and it's so hot in the summer, I couldn't make that a year-round choice. We own a 2nd home in Vegas that is occupied by a couple of my family members, but Vegas is a legit craphole unless you are in the right area.

Thought about Florida but Hurricanes are a thing there.

The Panama talk has me intrigued now.

We visited Savannah in February a while back and it was a good experience. I'd want to be there in mid-summer to see if the ocean mitigates the normal southern humidity issues.

If you were considering Belize, how about Playa del Carmen, Mexico just north?

I'm actually happy where I am, but can relate to wanting to get out of the Puget Sound gloom. Key points if I were considering:

- I'd be concerned about states that are growing but are notorious for not keeping up with infrastructure; Texas is not the worst in that regard, but it is probably high on the list. Florida & Arizona might be worse. The research triangle and greater Atlanta areas seem better.
- I'd want at least decent public schools without a lot of hidden segregation. That is more of a city-by-city issue than it is a state-by-state issue, but some states are definitely worse than others. You might ask why that is a concern for folks near retirement, without kids....it is because of the resulting culture. I've lived in both. Give me people who have had an education, please.
- How important is having at least 3 seasons?
- What is your tolerance to humidity? You can get used to it, but you never like it. How many months per year of big humidity is OK? Bear in mind that chiggers, ticks and a number of other things accompany humidity.
- How social are you? Because when you uproot, you will have to rebuild your social network. So will your wife. If both of you are not good at this, it will create stresses.
- Location of children/grandchildren. They will not be able to travel to you very often, so give that some thought.
- Finally, most people (especially males) who have worked for a full career often have part of their self identity wrapped up in their job. Retirement is a significant adjustment. Most folks seem to do better if they deal with that adjustment for a year or two before they uproot and move. That is not a hard and fast rule, but there are a lot of stresses built into trying to incorporate the move to retirement along with the geographic move all at once. Better to travel, rent, sample areas, etc., for a while before making any major move decisions...

Reactions: kougkurt
You?
I become more of a degenerate the older I get and knowing that my adult children are going to be fine in the world. I am thinking of moving to Vegas when I retire. The home prices are still reasonable and I would have a huge pool and outdoor kitchen. Morning swim, afternoon workout, and then place bets on the Sports App starting at about 1500 hrs. I also love the the great food, diversity of people, and the "live and let live" attitude. To quote George Constanza: "Is that wrong?"

If you were considering Belize, how about Playa del Carmen, Mexico just north?
If we are talking living abroad, I wouldn't mind living in Colombia. I love Medellin but the only problem I would have in that country is driving on their roads. Absolute dogsh!t for infrastructure there. But the women are downright gorgeous and super friendly. Unlike you, my Spanish is actually pretty good and can definitely sustain long, in-depth conversations in that language. My buddy went to Belize and is seriously considering buying property and building a house there. The country is very under-developed and land is cheap.

I agree that San Diego, and frankly north of LA, on the coast is pretty beautiful. I haven't spent much time in the Gulf Coast area but have seen some beautiful spots.

I would also want to spend summers in the Puget Sound area mainly because of all the recreational and boating aspects that come with the Sound.

With inflation, we might all be looking at a different country to afford any form of retirement.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT