ADVERTISEMENT

If you could live anywhere………

If we are talking living abroad, I wouldn't mind living in Colombia. I love Medellin but the only problem I would have in that country is driving on their roads. Absolute dogsh!t for infrastructure there. But the women are downright gorgeous and super friendly. Unlike you, my Spanish is actually pretty good and can definitely sustain long, in-depth conversations in that language. My buddy went to Belize and is seriously considering buying property and building a house there. The country is very under-develop

ed and land is cheap.

Yeah Colombianas and Venezuelans are considered throughout the region and in Mexican as top shelf.

I have thought about traveleing to Colombia but after hearing about the scopolamine gangs, I will only go with my friend who is from there. Its been a problem after the pandemic with lots of stories on Youtube about it.

If you haven't seen it, here is a doc on the subject

My retirement plan is to win a lottery jackpot so I don't have to be placebound. My retirement activity will then be traveling to wherever I hear the food is good.

That sounds much better than the likely reality, so that's what I'm going with.

We've lived in the suburbs of Seattle area our entire life. We are waiting for our daughter to finish college, (she'll probably transfer to the UW, even though she's been indoctrinated a COUG, and been to Pullman many, many times.

Really would be nice to get out of the 8 months of cloudy, drizzle, cold and rainy King County, Seattle. Buy a somewhere warm, outside of Washington.

1. Cave Creek or Carefree, Arizona
2. Port. St. Lucie, Florida
3. San Antonio, Texas
4. Lake Chapala, Mexico

Most often, in the real estate journey, what you start with a short list, but you often end off in a different city or county.
Have a BIL that lived in Cave Creek and really liked it. Of course, his wife later made him to her old home town in the middle of Nowhere, Wyoming and then left him, so that didn't work out very well for him.

Since my wife died a couple years ago I am mulling over whether to stay here in north Idaho in a nice home with 5000 sf of shop space or to move back to Skagit County and build a new place on a waterfront lot that family has owned for decades. Either way, after golfing a couple days with friends in Sun City last November before AZ game, I can sure see the attraction for snowbirding. We'll see what I come up with in a year or so.

Reactions: M-I-Coug
Panama is interesting. International living is always talking about it...and it is a tax haven...but I haven't met a single person here who has good things to say about Panama(gringos or otherwise)

I know that it rains a lot in Boquete...something that isn't mentioned a lot.

A big difference in Panama and Costa Rica is the expat enclaves in Panama. From what I am told, they are almost seperate from the locals. I prefer to mix with the locals and immerese myself in the culture.

Not trying to knock your recommendaton. as the things you listed are all true..I just found it very interesting when I got down here that what people who have been there say is in stark contrast to what International Living magazine says.

the other things that were mentioned is that the locals really don't like gringos due to the Panamal canal...and it is hot AF if you are anywhere but the mountains.

And one more thing that I kinda thought was funny. The food is known to be pretty crappy...and in the episode of Narcos where Pablo and crew had to flee to Panama, they were bitching how hot it was and how the food sucks. I got a chuckle out of that.
Interesting that you say people don't say good things about Panama, because I can't find a single "live abroad" top 10 that doesn't have Panama in their top 10. Usually it is Portugal and Panama vying for #1!

I know a few people who are seriously considering Costa Rica for retirement. My brother vacationed there and loved it for a week, but I don't know much about it as a permanent residence.

Reactions: spongeandshoot
Cougsocal:

I can't believe this.

Was going to add Panama on my short list. Recently, on an amazing Caribbean Cruise, dined next to another couple that are going to buy and move to Panama.

They were raving and selling us on Panama. Either close to the beach, or near the mountains.

We've been to Panama before, on a previous cruise....but of course you see nothing but the cruise port, when you're there for a half a day.

Must be a sign, two people strongly recommending Panama. I asked about future political contention with the canal, and they said there are zero issues.

We might need to strongly consider and add Panama to our list. Of course, we would have to check it out first.
Belize was the one that I had been pushing my wife on. The trouble with Belize based on my research is that you don't want to be anywhere near the Capitol and the areas that are great to live don't necessarily have the best services. I know that Mexican health care is pretty decent, but I started losing interest in Belize when I read that you have to go to Mexico for any real medical concerns. I'm healthy now...but that was a red flag. Most of the best housing for ex-pats is pretty close to the ocean and Belize is overdue for another hurricane. It's still on my list to visit sometime but I'm not as excited as I was originally.

We looked at the Phoenix metro area but it's gotten so damned big and it's so hot in the summer, I couldn't make that a year-round choice. We own a 2nd home in Vegas that is occupied by a couple of my family members, but Vegas is a legit craphole unless you are in the right area.

Thought about Florida but Hurricanes are a thing there.

The Panama talk has me intrigued now.

We visited Savannah in February a while back and it was a good experience. I'd want to be there in mid-summer to see if the ocean mitigates the normal southern humidity issues.
You are right about the medical. I know an ex-pat who lives right across the border so she can go into Mexico for that very reason.

In some of the countries to the South you will always have the risk of waking up one morning to learn that while you were sleeping the rebels came out of the hills and have seized the presidential palace, the radio stations and the airport. A Toyota pickup comes down your street with a loud speaker proclaiming the new Presidente Generalissimo Bunwadda ,and death to all Yankees.

If you were considering Belize, how about Playa del Carmen, Mexico just north?

I hadn't looked at that in particular. Have to check it out. The other factor in the discussion is that my wife LOVES to shop on Amazon. That will be a hard habit to break for her. Wonder if they have a local equivalent or if Amazon goes to other countries.

Interesting that you say people don't say good things about Panama, because I can't find a single "live abroad" top 10 that doesn't have Panama in their top 10. Usually it is Portugal and Panama vying for #1!

I agree.

My research has said the same things that you have pointed out so I found those conversations very interesting.

WIth the exception of Bocas del Toro, everyone here also recommends visiting Nicaragua instead of Pamana...specifically San Juan del Sur and Granada

Last edited:
So the wife and I are half way through a 5 week getaway to San Diego. We were walking from Ocean Beach to Sunset Cliffs today and I asked, why don’t we live here full time? Not to hot, not to cold. Nice ocean breeze. I can’t think of a better place to live
You?
#1 on my list. Just SO expensive (property taxes are insane). Can’t beat it though. PB and Mission Bay are legit cool.

Reactions: kougkurt
I know a few people who are seriously considering Costa Rica for retirement. My brother vacationed there and loved it for a week, but I don't know much about it as a permanent residence.

I am on a tourist visa and have to leave the country every 90 days. I travel enough anyway so I haven't felt the need to apply for permanent residence.

I do know that Panama is cheaper and offers more financial incentives for folks of retirement age including pretty massive discounts on select purchases.

Another one that gets a lot of good ink is Ecuador...especially for their health care.

Ive been to San Antonio many times. I would encourage you to look north into Boerne. That part of Texas is gonna boom. The stretch of highway between Austin and SA is filling in. It’ll have 1,000,000+ in prob 20 years. Also, don’t sleep on South Padre Island.

One of my good friends lives in Cave Creek. She and her husband love it there.
What part of TX are you in?

I've been to Austin 5 times since summer 2021 and haven't made it down to San Antonio to get some churros with Charles Barkley...feels like I should get a visit there in, since either are far from each other. You're correct, that area is going to explode in population soon.

I am enjoying Costa Rica right now. I live in the central valley surrounded by mountains and don't need AC. I thought I would end up in a beach town but came away with the realization that beach towns are good for visiting...but not for living for me.

If you are open to living abroad, Portugal also ticks a lot of boxes.
Pura vida, baby!

I spent 3 weeks in CR in 2007. Loved it.

Have a BIL that lived in Cave Creek and really liked it. Of course, his wife later made him to her old home town in the middle of Nowhere, Wyoming and then left him, so that didn't work out very well for him.

Since my wife died a couple years ago I am mulling over whether to stay here in north Idaho in a nice home with 5000 sf of shop space or to move back to Skagit County and build a new place on a waterfront lot that family has owned for decades. Either way, after golfing a couple days with friends in Sun City last November before AZ game, I can sure see the attraction for snowbirding. We'll see what I come up with in a year or so.
Stretch - your waterfront property is probably worth quite a bit these days. Firing up a boat, heading out on the sound up there, would be my #1. Headed out on the sound down here, is my summer #1 here.

Summer on Puget Sound, cruising around on the boat and having a place with some wintertime warmth, close to a beach, is the dream/goal.

Stretch - your waterfront property is probably worth quite a bit these days. Firing up a boat, heading out on the sound up there, would be my #1. Headed out on the sound down here, is my summer #1 here.

Summer on Puget Sound, cruising around on the boat and having a place with some wintertime warmth, close to a beach, is the dream/goal.
Oh, yes it is. I think my folks would be shocked at the lot's value today. Assessment just went up by $100,000. BTW, it is on Big Lake, by Mt Vernon and not on the Sound. Late summer and again in October I was over there doing some clearing work on the property, and those calm, sunny days would make you want to be living there immediately. However, you need to balance that out with all the dreary winter weather, the increasing traffic in the area, the political environment there, the hassles and costs of moving again and renting a place until the home is built, etc. But then add in long time friends in the area and family in the region and it complicates the decision. It would be the move for my lifetime.

In some of the countries to the South you will always have the risk of waking up one morning to learn that while you were sleeping the rebels came out of the hills and have seized the presidential palace, the radio stations and the airport. A Toyota pickup comes down your street with a loud speaker proclaiming the new Presidente Generalissimo Bunwadda ,and death to all Yankees.
I just pictured John Candy tied to a post singing our fight song....

Oh, yes it is. I think my folks would be shocked at the lot's value today. Assessment just went up by $100,000. BTW, it is on Big Lake, by Mt Vernon and not on the Sound. Late summer and again in October I was over there doing some clearing work on the property, and those calm, sunny days would make you want to be living there immediately. However, you need to balance that out with all the dreary winter weather, the increasing traffic in the area, the political environment there, the hassles and costs of moving again and renting a place until the home is built, etc. But then add in long time friends in the area and family in the region and it complicates the decision. It would be the move for my lifetime.

Doesn’t Hwy 9 run right through there?
Pretty spot

#1 on my list. Just SO expensive (property taxes are insane). Can’t beat it though. PB and Mission Bay are legit cool.

I just like the vibe of Ocean Beach. Pacific Beach and Mission Bay/Beach are legit cool. A little younger and touristy crowd.

Sounds like Portland.

Staying stateside, for sure. Ideally, on Lake Roosevelt April - early October and somewhere in the dirty south, in a small mobile home on or near a lake for the winter months...chasing largemouth when it is 20 degrees in NE WA.

I agree.

My research has said the same things that you have pointed out so I found those conversations very interesting.

WIth the exception of Bocas del Toro, everyone here also recommends visiting Nicaragua instead of Pamana...specifically San Juan del Sur and Granada
It is a question of how adventurous you are and what your budget is. The smaller the ex pat community, the cheaper it is. If you want to live like a king on a modest budget, Nicaragua is for you. But it is damn poor. They have 1.5 time the population of Panama, but only 1/4 the GDP. For me it is a balancing act. I'm willing to pay a premium for reliable electricity, internet, potable water, medical care and not standing out like a sore thumb. Panama isn't much cheaper than many places in the USA, frankly. Oxford, (Upscale) Mississippi and Boquete (Upscale Panama) cost similar. But the layback warm latin lifestyle, with amenities is what I'm after (decompression). I'm so sick and tired of the Republican vs Democrat tribe, woke vs conspiratorial nut job, perpetual mass murdering, homeless encampments nonsense, I just want out. Still have to convince my wife, but... she'll come around when she loses the fear of the unknown (she has seldom left the USA, and never to a non-english speaking country).

Doesn’t Hwy 9 run right through there?
Pretty spot
Yes, it does. Right along the east side of the lake. Head north on Hwy 9 to Sedro Woolley, Deming, to Sumas. Or go south past Lake McMurray, Arlington, Lake Stevens, Snohomish, to Woodinville.

I grew up in Burlington/Skagit Valley, and really like that area. Of course, it has gone through huge changes since then, but still a great place. Mountains, rivers, streams, Puget Sound, hills, forests, and very productive farmland. I was in the FFA in high school and and had several friends that grew up working on the family farm. Best friend then until now was dairy farmer. I have a solid appreciation for the farmers-it's a tough life and most of them don't get rich.

Actually did a little farming myself! Emphasis on little. All the FFA members needed a project to do and since we had one acre I was able to raise some pigs. Built the sheds for them and made the pen for them to root around in. Raised a few litters and several meat hogs for shows and family and friends. Blue ribbons at the Skagit County Fair and Marysville Junior Livestock show. Still the best ham and bacon I have had! Taught me some responsibility and dedication, it was a real benefit.

Best thing about it all? It was the FFA that got me set on going to WSU! I went to the State FFA Convention junior year and my best friend and I liked it so well that we both decided to go to college there.

It is a question of how adventurous you are and what your budget is. The smaller the ex pat community, the cheaper it is. If you want to live like a king on a modest budget, Nicaragua is for you. But it is damn poor. They have 1.5 time the population of Panama, but only 1/4 the GDP. For me it is a balancing act. I'm willing to pay a premium for reliable electricity, internet, potable water, medical care and not standing out like a sore thumb. Panama isn't much cheaper than many places in the USA, frankly. Oxford, (Upscale) Mississippi and Boquete (Upscale Panama) cost similar. But the layback warm latin lifestyle, with amenities is what I'm after (decompression). I'm so sick and tired of the Republican vs Democrat tribe, woke vs conspiratorial nut job, perpetual mass murdering, homeless encampments nonsense, I just want out. Still have to convince my wife, but... she'll come around when she loses the fear of the unknown (she has seldom left the USA, and never to a non-english speaking country).
If you really are in socal, then you have already lived in a non-English speaking country! Ha!

That's one of the reasons I left...to escape all that bs. One of the best moves I've ever made. To say that not having everything revolve around who you voted for is refreshing would be an understatement.

I should clarify on my last post. I was referring to visiting Nicaragua as opposed to living there. I wouldn't want to live there because of Ortega.

With the exceptions of my landlord and neighbor, most of the people I talked to about Panama weren't of retirement age..so an asterisk should be applied there.

I have heard good things about Coronado, Panama in my research. It's an upscale expat community with close proximity to Panama City.

I live in central coast California, a hidden gem IMO. Mild weather year round, no traffic, and not too many people. Close to the beaches, 3 hours from Sequoia, 3 hours north to the Bay area, 2-3 hours to LA.

You know much about the Nipomo area? Specifically Trilogy at Monarch Dunes?

Reactions: acgcoug
That's one of the reasons I left...to escape all that bs. One of the best moves I've ever made. To say that not having everything revolve around who you voted for is refreshing would be an understatement.

I should clarify on my last post. I was referring to visiting Nicaragua as opposed to living there. I wouldn't want to live there because of Ortega.

With the exceptions of my landlord and neighbor, most of the people I talked to about Panama weren't of retirement age..so an asterisk should be applied there.

I have heard good things about Coronado, Panama in my research. It's an upscale expat community with close proximity to Panama City.
I you don't mind me asking, where did you ex pat to? and why that place? As for Coronado, probably a little to gringo for me. Haven't been there but the video I've seen, it looks like an up scale Miami suburb. I'm looking for a little more in the Goldilocks zone.

I you don't mind me asking, where did you ex pat to? and why that place? As for Coronado, probably a little to gringo for me. Haven't been there but the video I've seen, it looks like an up scale Miami suburb. I'm looking for a little more in the Goldilocks zone.

I hear ya regarding the too gringo part. I am probably one of 6 gringos where I live.

Well, back in 2014 I read a Book called Happier than a Billionaire Moving to Costa Rica. Long story short, it was about a married couple who both had a successful chiropractic business...but never got to saw each other and the husband was hospitalized due to stress so they decided to make a change.

Here is a good video about their story. The host is Jimmy Buffets daughter no less.

Anyhow, about the same time, a guy in the whisky bar I went to just got back from living there for 15 years and gave me the name and number of his landlord. I kept it in my wallet since 2014.

Well, I November of 2020, I couldn't stand the thought of another Seattle winter...especially on lockdown and just bought my ticket. I kept saying some day some day...but then my best friend came down w cancer and I realized some day never comes. So I bought my ticket.

Anyhow, I thought I would stay in Ciudad Colon in the central valley for a month and move to a beach town...but the spring breeze kept me here and I started making friends So I stayed.

So kind of a long winded way of answering your question, but thought some context was necessary.

Last edited:
Yeah Colombianas and Venezuelans are considered throughout the region and in Mexican as top shelf.

I have thought about traveleing to Colombia but after hearing about the scopolamine gangs, I will only go with my friend who is from there. Its been a problem after the pandemic with lots of stories on Youtube about it.

If you haven't seen it, here is a doc on the subject

I've been many times and yeah this has been a problem but being an "extanjero" or "gringo", this is typically not a problem for people like us there. The main reason for this is obvious... The language barrier. They can't get you to do what you want if you don't understand what it is they are asking you to do. Very little people there can speak English. Another is that the places where people usually stay have extremely high security protocols. Hotels and even condos/apartments have strict guest policies and staff are very aware of the nefarious things that the local thugs are doing to stay in business. I feel very safe there, even being alone in one of most talked about bad areas of Medellin, El Centro.

You know much about the Nipomo area? Specifically Trilogy at Monarch Dunes?
Yes, I do. I'm about 20 minutes from there. Pismo beach is near, and it is the only beach in California that you can still drive your car on, as well as ATV's, plus you can drive out in the sand dunes. You don't even need a 4x4 if just driving the beach/water line. A lot of RV's and trailers out there, it's like tailgating on the beach. We go there often, and my kids like to camp at the Pismo campgrounds. Downtown Pismo is a fun little beach town. The only problem with Pismo is the heavy fog at times. 15 minutes north of Pismo is another nice beach/town, Avila Beach. A much smaller beach, but it doesn't get fogged in as much. Guadalupe dunes/beach is also very close to the south, but it's more of a nature preserve area, no homes or towns/shops.

Some Monarch Dunes' residents/developers have a reputation of being snobby with the intention of shutting down vehicle access to the beach and the dunes for environmental and health reasons. Many complain about all the dust in their neighborhoods, air quality, while claiming that the vehicle use in the dunes is to blame. The thing is, the OHV park was there first and it's always been windy out there, yet the developers keep on building new homes. Regardless of all that, I don't live there or know anyone in Trilogy, but it's definitely nice, and a sought after area to live.

The town of Nipomo doesn't have too much going on as far as entertainment, or shopping, but it's nice and safe. It has a bit of a country vibe to it as far as the people go. A lot of agriculture around here.

The weather in is this region is perfect to my liking, mild summers (70-85), cool/mild winters (60-70's), and a lot of blue skies. It's easy living here.

I've been many times and yeah this has been a problem but being an "extanjero" or "gringo", this is typically not a problem for people like us there. The main reason for this is obvious... The language barrier. They can't get you to do what you want if you don't understand what it is they are asking you to do. Very little people there can speak English. Another is that the places where people usually stay have extremely high security protocols. Hotels and even condos/apartments have strict guest policies and staff are very aware of the nefarious things that the local thugs are doing to stay in business. I feel very safe there, even being alone in one of most talked about bad areas of Medellin, El Centro.

Yeah I was told just be weary if a Colombian woman approaches you in a bar(or on Tinder) because normal women won't do that.

Yeah, I want to visit. I will visit when mi Parceros head down. My friends mom has the same birthday as me in December so that is something I want to do...plus I hear it is a pretty big fiesta in December

Reactions: CougInSpain
Yeah I was told just be weary if a Colombian woman approaches you in a bar(or on Tinder) because normal women won't do that.

Yeah, I want to visit. I will visit when mi Parceros head down. My friends mom has the same birthday as me in December so that is something I want to do...plus I hear it is a pretty big fiesta in December
Well 99% of the time if they are approaching you in a bar, they are a “working” girl. I promise if you go, you’ll love it. Tons to do there that don’t involve drinking at a bar.

I hear ya regarding the too gringo part. I am probably one of 6 gringos where I live.

Well, back in 2014 I read a Book called Happier than a Billionaire Moving to Costa Rica. Long story short, it was about a married couple who both had a successful chiropractic business...but never got to saw each other and the husband was hospitalized due to stress so they decided to make a change.

Here is a good video about their story. The host is Jimmy Buffets daughter no less.

Anyhow, about the same time, a guy in the whisky bar I went to just got back from living there for 15 years and gave me the name and number of his landlord. I kept it in my wallet since 2014.

Well, I November of 2020, I couldn't stand the thought of another Seattle winter...especially on lockdown and just bought my ticket. I kept saying some day some day...but then my best friend came down w cancer and I realized some day never comes. So I bought my ticket.

Anyhow, I thought I would stay in Ciudad Colon in the central valley for a month and move to a beach town...but the spring breeze kept me here and I started making friends So I stayed.

So kind of a long winded way of answering your question, but thought some context was necessary.

Planning to try out Costa Rica too. Retiring in 18 months, at 62 1/2. My wife and I don't have a clue what we want to do, all we have ever done is raise kids. Have about 2 1/2 years to figure it before Medicare penalties kick in. Plan to spend that time auditions places and lifestyles. Bought a home in Oxford Ms as a retirement fall back/inexpensive base of operations. That said, ever since the Vegas shootings I've want out of the USA, if can get my small town Americana, little traveled, wife, to agree. So I have a bit balancing act. It probably needs to be "ex pat" light, like Panama, Costa Rica, Portugal, Spain etc. Advice, ideas, experiences Sponge, anyone?

Yes, I do. I'm about 20 minutes from there. Pismo beach is near, and it is the only beach in California that you can still drive your car on, as well as ATV's, plus you can drive out in the sand dunes. You don't even need a 4x4 if just driving the beach/water line. A lot of RV's and trailers out there, it's like tailgating on the beach. We go there often, and my kids like to camp at the Pismo campgrounds. Downtown Pismo is a fun little beach town. The only problem with Pismo is the heavy fog at times. 15 minutes north of Pismo is another nice beach/town, Avila Beach. A much smaller beach, but it doesn't get fogged in as much. Guadalupe dunes/beach is also very close to the south, but it's more of a nature preserve area, no homes or towns/shops.

Some Monarch Dunes' residents/developers have a reputation of being snobby with the intention of shutting down vehicle access to the beach and the dunes for environmental and health reasons. Many complain about all the dust in their neighborhoods, air quality, while claiming that the vehicle use in the dunes is to blame. The thing is, the OHV park was there first and it's always been windy out there, yet the developers keep on building new homes. Regardless of all that, I don't live there or know anyone in Trilogy, but it's definitely nice, and a sought after area to live.

The town of Nipomo doesn't have too much going on as far as entertainment, or shopping, but it's nice and safe. It has a bit of a country vibe to it as far as the people go. A lot of agriculture around here.

The weather in is this region is perfect to my liking, mild summers (70-85), cool/mild winters (60-70's), and a lot of blue skies. It's easy living here.

Great info. Thanks. We have a home at Trilogy in Redmond Ridge and love their communities.

Planning to try out Costa Rica too. Retiring in 18 months, at 62 1/2. My wife and I don't have a clue what we want to do, all we have ever done is raise kids. Have about 2 1/2 years to figure it before Medicare penalties kick in. Plan to spend that time auditions places and lifestyles. Bought a home in Oxford Ms as a retirement fall back/inexpensive base of operations. That said, ever since the Vegas shootings I've want out of the USA, if can get my small town Americana, little traveled, wife, to agree. So I have a bit balancing act. It probably needs to be "ex pat" light, like Panama, Costa Rica, Portugal, Spain etc. Advice, ideas, experiences Sponge, anyone?

I would recommend checking out the Facebook group Moving to Costa Rica by Sara Elena. She has a lot of good info and just recently posted a graph that shows the big picture view of each of the areas in terms of cost of living, climate, health care etc.

The best pieces of advice I can give is:

1. Rent first and try several locales. Too many people come down here and buy immediately and end up regreting it. Make sure you like living in the area first.

2. Become a familiar face in the community( and in the community of activities that you enjoy)

It is very easy to make friends here...just become a familiar face and you will be golden.

3. Start to learn Spanish if you don't know it. You won't regret it.

Here is the best video I have seen that talks about the best places to live in Costa Rica:

Last edited:
Reactions: Cougsocal
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT