ADVERTISEMENT

If you could live anywhere………

Oh, yes it is. I think my folks would be shocked at the lot's value today. Assessment just went up by $100,000. BTW, it is on Big Lake, by Mt Vernon and not on the Sound. Late summer and again in October I was over there doing some clearing work on the property, and those calm, sunny days would make you want to be living there immediately. However, you need to balance that out with all the dreary winter weather, the increasing traffic in the area, the political environment there, the hassles and costs of moving again and renting a place until the home is built, etc. But then add in long time friends in the area and family in the region and it complicates the decision. It would be the move for my lifetime.
Spent a lot of time water skiing on Big Lake as kid.

Ive been to San Antonio many times. I would encourage you to look north into Boerne. That part of Texas is gonna boom. The stretch of highway between Austin and SA is filling in. It’ll have 1,000,000+ in prob 20 years. Also, don’t sleep on South Padre Island.

One of my good friends lives in Cave Creek. She and her husband love it there.
Boerne is nice. Getting into wine country. It's also not a big city, which is certainly an advantage.

If I had no consideration of being close to my children and granddaughter, I'd live in Portugal or maybe Colombia. Florida is intriguing too. So many nice towns there (maybe St. Augustine?).

But I do care about living close to my children and granddaughter, so I'm likely to stay in the Puget Sound region.

Since one of my daughters lives in Spain, I would like to go there a couple of months out of the year and spend time with her in my "retirement" years.

After my time. Who won? We got second in state my junior year, won state a couple times back then in football.
You guys spanked us. We were AA and played a pretty brutal string of AAA schools non-conference. You guys, University of Spokane, Walla Walla, Wenatchee.

If I had no consideration of being close to my children and granddaughter, I'd live in Portugal or maybe Colombia. Florida is intriguing too. So many nice towns there (maybe St. Augustine?).

But I do care about living close to my children and granddaughter, so I'm likely to stay in the Puget Sound region.

Since one of my daughters lives in Spain, I would like to go there a couple of months out of the year and spend time with her in my "retirement" years.
Portugal is pretty interesting. Was there (Lisbon area) a few years ago. The culture and food was amazing and the people genuine. Preferred the vibe much more than Barcelona which was on the same trip. Climate was temperate and most days were in the low 70s.

Was just in St. Augustine and found it very touristy. Can't imagine what it's like during spring break or peak tourist time. But there's a lot of shoreline between Miami and Jacksonville so probably some less spots that are more 'normal'. Haven't spent any time on the gulf side of Florida to compare.

To be clear, E. Wenatchee is not on the list of potential retirement destinations.

My wife and I considered buying a house in Wenatchee (not E. Wenatchee) as a second home. I was astonished at how the retirees fleeing from Seattle have ruined the affordability of living there. Shanties were going for over $200k and anything decent was $500k. One of my college friends bought a decent house there back in the day for $180k and zillow says it's worth $617k now. No offense to Wenatchee...but that's ridiculous.

Reactions: 79COUG
My wife and I considered buying a house in Wenatchee (not E. Wenatchee) as a second home. I was astonished at how the retirees fleeing from Seattle have ruined the affordability of living there. Shanties were going for over $200k and anything decent was $500k. One of my college friends bought a decent house there back in the day for $180k and zillow says it's worth $617k now. No offense to Wenatchee...but that's ridiculous.
I grew up on the Eastside of the river. Used to hunt coyotes from my Honda 90 on Fancher Heights. Now it's street after street of mil+ homes.
When the internet came around the town was flooded with 206ers buying up land, building homes and working remotely from there 3-4 days a week. Ridiculous growth and piss poor growth management. Still have a sister there...she can't wait to get out.

1st of all... I still love NW winters for what they are. Give me a great house with a great view... isolated, but close enough to a city with resources. I would take Northern Idaho in a heart beat. My time is for Hot Tub in the late fall & winter while watching Coug games (when they are away vs. being present at each and every home game)

I plan to travel like the future of Al Gore. The Caribbean is mine.

As long as I have cell service... internet... and not crazy hot/humid...

My Coug party never stops

Reactions: kougkurt
Chelan is ruined as well for the same reasons.

But its nice to visit.

You guys spanked us. We were AA and played a pretty brutal string of AAA schools non-conference. You guys, University of Spokane, Walla Walla, Wenatchee.
Sorry to correct you, but Burlington-Edison was never AAA. AA all the way. Think they still are, but not sure on that. Were you referring to football or basketball?

Sorry to correct you, but Burlington-Edison was never AAA. AA all the way. Think they still are, but not sure on that. Were you referring to football or basketba

Sorry to correct you, but Burlington-Edison was never AAA. AA all the way. Think they still are, but not sure on that. Were you referring to football or basketball?
Football. But I could have swore you guys were AAA at the time? I know we were AA. My bad. Shocking that my memory is hazy...lol.

Football. But I could have swore you guys were AAA at the time? I know we were AA. My bad. Shocking that my memory is hazy...lol.
Nope, AA it was, but some of the schools in the old Northwest league outgrew the classification. 1969-70 Snohomish was the first to do so, as they played the AA schedule but had to play AAA in the playoffs. My big brag is in basketball we beat them 54-44 when they were undefeated. My best game ever, 26 points. Yea! They went on to win the AAA title that year, only losing one more time in Districts. A very good team. Doug Love, Ben Krause, Evan Thomas all played some college ball, and Jerry Ingalls played fullback for the huskies.

Just looked up some stuff on the WIAA site. BEHS had about 750 in 4 grades when I was there, they currently are listed as having 806 in grades 9-11 that they use for determining the classification for each school. AA is 450-899, so a few more years of growth in the valley and they may get bumped up to AAA.

The schools that were in our league back then have had some huge growth. Snohomish, Marysville, Ferndale, Oak Harbor, Arlington, Mt Vernon, and Anacortes have all grown into AAA today. Sehome, Bellingham, Sedro Woolley, and BEHS are the only schools left in AA. Interesting to note that Stanwood, which was A back in my day, has actually grown past AA into AAA. Probably huge growth in that area driven by Boeing.

Interesting that WIAA now lists the Northwest League as being 1A/2A/3A, and it has 16 teams. Wonder how that scheduling works. Burlington, Sedro Woolley, Mt Vernon, Anacortes, Sehome, Bellingham, Ferndale, Oak Harbor, Squalicum, Nooksack Valley, Blaine, Lakewood, Lynden, Lynden Christian, Meridian, Mt Baker.

More than you ever wanted to know, I am sure. Sorry, just got carried away. :)

Nope, AA it was, but some of the schools in the old Northwest league outgrew the classification. 1969-70 Snohomish was the first to do so, as they played the AA schedule but had to play AAA in the playoffs. My big brag is in basketball we beat them 54-44 when they were undefeated. My best game ever, 26 points. Yea! They went on to win the AAA title that year, only losing one more time in Districts. A very good team. Doug Love, Ben Krause, Evan Thomas all played some college ball, and Jerry Ingalls played fullback for the huskies.

Just looked up some stuff on the WIAA site. BEHS had about 750 in 4 grades when I was there, they currently are listed as having 806 in grades 9-11 that they use for determining the classification for each school. AA is 450-899, so a few more years of growth in the valley and they may get bumped up to AAA.

The schools that were in our league back then have had some huge growth. Snohomish, Marysville, Ferndale, Oak Harbor, Arlington, Mt Vernon, and Anacortes have all grown into AAA today. Sehome, Bellingham, Sedro Woolley, and BEHS are the only schools left in AA. Interesting to note that Stanwood, which was A back in my day, has actually grown past AA into AAA. Probably huge growth in that area driven by Boeing.

Interesting that WIAA now lists the Northwest League as being 1A/2A/3A, and it has 16 teams. Wonder how that scheduling works. Burlington, Sedro Woolley, Mt Vernon, Anacortes, Sehome, Bellingham, Ferndale, Oak Harbor, Squalicum, Nooksack Valley, Blaine, Lakewood, Lynden, Lynden Christian, Meridian, Mt Baker.

More than you ever wanted to know, I am sure. Sorry, just got carried away. :)
Well my sophomore year at Eastmont we had TWO teams in our league...us and Othello. Central Washington AA League. Left us with 8 non conference games. Next year we went into the old Mid Valley AA League and did pretty well.
Jacked up leagues back then as you can attest! Thanks for the education!

I was sitting next to a couple from Wenatchee on my recent domestic flight and they back up what you said. A lot of Seattle area folks have driven up housing prices over there in the past few years. I detected a little resentment.

I was sitting next to a couple from Wenatchee on my recent domestic flight and they back up what you said. A lot of Seattle area folks have driven up housing prices over there in the past few years. I detected a little resentment.
A LOT of resentment from the long time residents.
I'm not saying it was paradise but as the Eagles once sang...."Call someplace paradise, kiss it goodbye"

Well my sophomore year at Eastmont we had TWO teams in our league...us and Othello. Central Washington AA League. Left us with 8 non conference games. Next year we went into the old Mid Valley AA League and did pretty well.
Jacked up leagues back then as you can attest! Thanks for the education!
Two team league? That was brutal! Your AD must have really been scrambling to fill out the schedule, trying to find teams willing to play OOC games late in the year.

Two team league? That was brutal! Your AD must have really been scrambling to fill out the schedule, trying to find teams willing to play OOC games late in the year.
There was you guys, Wenatchee, Uhigh from Spokane, Walla Walla, Port Coquitlam BC, Hanford, Mt. Tahoma and Richland. 7 sophomore starters on O, 5 on D.
Babtism by fire😉

There was you guys, Wenatchee, Uhigh from Spokane, Walla Walla, Port Coquitlam BC, Hanford, Mt. Tahoma and Richland. 7 sophomore starters on O, 5 on D.
Babtism by fire😉
Who was home team? I recall BEHS traveling to Lake Washington and Kelso for football games back in the 60's.

My senior year we traveled to Bellevue for b-ball, my worst game all year-4 points. Ugh. I was a bit distracted that game-my summer GF from Spokane was there as well as my hometown GF. Mind was not on the game as much as it should have been. lol

Who was home team? I recall BEHS traveling to Lake Washington and Kelso for football games back in the 60's.

My senior year we traveled to Bellevue for b-ball, my worst game all year-4 points. Ugh. I was a bit distracted that game-my summer GF from Spokane was there as well as my hometown GF. Mind was not on the game as much as it should have been. lol
Try traveling to Garfield in basketball.

Not Garfield in Whitman County. THE Garfield.

They beat us like a red headed stepchild. Lamar Hurd (Oregon State) didn’t even play as he was also the drum major and there was a marching band competition at the Kingdome that night.

Try traveling to Garfield in basketball.

Not Garfield in Whitman County. THE Garfield.

They beat us like a red headed stepchild. Lamar Hurd (Oregon State) didn’t even play as he was also the drum major and there was a marching band competition at the Kingdome that night.

The only Garfield that matters is the one in Whitman County.

You guys were. I remember that was the first time we had played on a field with a crown for water runoff. We played Port Coquitlam at their place. Crap field. Rain and snow all day...mud bath. They had 4 x 4's for goal posts. Long ass trip from East Wenatchee. Admin wouldn't pony up the bucks to let us spend the night.

Went through customs in Panama City yesterday. Guy in line was wearing a U of Arizona pullover.

Of course, talked some smack to him about losing to the Cougs at home in hoops.

Reactions: Cougini5591
Went through customs in Panama City yesterday. Guy in line was wearing a U of Arizona pullover.

Of course, talked some smack to him about losing to the Cougs at home in hoops.

What parts of Panama are you visiting? Would enjoy hearing about your experience there.

All I wanna know is about the women in all these exotic places. At my age (60+ but still in fighting trim), the 50 plus but fit women will do just fine.

All I wanna know is about the women in all these exotic places. At my age (60+ but still in fighting trim), the 50 plus but fit women will do just fine.
I don't know about Panama but Colombia is busting at the seams with gorgeous women up and down the timeline. In Colombia though, there are many Venezuelan women there too.

What parts of Panama are you visiting? Would enjoy hearing about your experience there.
We're in Panama City not too far from the Cinta Costera (the bay). Haven't ventured out much as I'm here doing some money laundering and you know how that sucks up time.

Venturing out on some excursions this weekend.

So far the people are nice - pretty reserved. It is supposed to hit 90 today. Looks like Spokane is 23 right now.

Reactions: spongeandshoot
We stopped in Panama on a cruise a few years back. The country side and Panama Canal were great but we didn’t have time to visit Panama City. I wouldn’t mind going back

The excursion we went on was called Monkey Island which is on the Panama Canal. We took a long boat ride on a river, got on the canal and made our way to the island where we saw three or four kinds of monkeys and heard howler monkeys. Some even came onto the boat after being enticed with fruit. We saw one or two small crocodiles. We got some great photos! I would highly recommend this trip!

The excursion we went on was called Monkey Island which is on the Panama Canal. We took a long boat ride on a river, got on the canal and made our way to the island where we saw three or four kinds of monkeys and heard howler monkeys. Some even came onto the boat after being enticed with fruit. We saw one or two small crocodiles. We got some great photos! I would highly recommend this trip!
We just took the same excursion.

The howlers sounded like a sorority girl during her first…oh wait, this is a family board.

Just one croc.

Just returned home from an AMAZING 11 night Caribbean cruise. Panama was not on one of our port itineraries, but met a couple who's transitioning to Panama. I seem to recall another couple are transitioning to Portugal, as well. I've heard great things about both.

For the U.S. our short list are as follows:

Cave Creek, or Carefree, AZ
Central Florida
Dallas/Ft. Worth suburbs, (or San Antonio area).

The problem with Texas is the property taxes are very, very high, (almost double than King County).
Arizona, (except Flagstaff), is brutal in the summer at 120 degrees....but I don't mind it.

Just returned from Ft. Lauderdale, where it was 79 degrees, sunny, (suntan with Resort Pass for pool and gym) on Monday. Where in the United States is it 79% in February?

Would like to avoid the coast of Florida, (hurricanes). I don't mind it being humid, and it was not humid in Ft. Lauderdale.

Would be fun to explore Panama, Portugal, and Mexico...but living outside the U.S. would take a lot of research, visiting, and a steep mind renewal.

Feel free to chime in......

Last edited:
Just returned home from an AMAZING 11 night Caribbean cruise. Panama was not on our port itinerary, but met a couple who's transitioning to Panama. I seem to recall another couple are transitioning to Portugal, as well. I've heard great things about both.

For the U.S. our short list are as follows:

Cave Creek, or Carefree, AZ
Central Florida
Dallas/Ft. Worth suburbs, (or San Antonio).

The problem with Texas is the property taxes are very, very high, (almost double than King County).
Arizona, (except Flagstaff), is brutal in the summer at 120 degrees....but I don't mind it.

Just returned from Ft. Lauderdale, where it was 79 degrees, sunny, (suntan with Resort Pass for pool and gym) on Monday. Where in the United States is it 79% in February?

Would like to avoid the coast of Florida, (hurricanes). I don't mind it being humid, and it was not humid in Ft. Lauderdale.

Would be fun to explore Panama, Portugal, and Mexico...but living outside the U.S. would take a lot of research, visiting, and a steep mind renewal.

Feel free to chime in......
Look at coastal Georgia, South Carolina and coastal N. Carolina. Obviously the farther north one goes, the warmer it gets but Savannah/Hilton Head/Beaufort metroplex had 75-80 degree weather last week and it was awesome. Even low 60's is tolerable there.

Also, of the two so far, I prefer Costa Rica over Panama but that's probably because in Costa Rica we were on the beach at a resort, shuttled into Tamarindo for the beach club/all day drinking. Panama City is urban and, though it is a good location to conduct Marty Byrd money laundering operations, its not as tourisa friendly as a lot of other cities to which I've traveled. That could be partly on where our hotel is located but you gotta money launder where the money launderers are, you know.

Reactions: spongeandshoot
Look at coastal Georgia, South Carolina and coastal N. Carolina. Obviously the farther north one goes, the warmer it gets but Savannah/Hilton Head/Beaufort metroplex had 75-80 degree weather last week and it was awesome. Even low 60's is tolerable there.

Also, of the two so far, I prefer Costa Rica over Panama but that's probably because in Costa Rica we were on the beach at a resort, shuttled into Tamarindo for the beach club/all day drinking. Panama City is urban and, though it is a good location to conduct Marty Byrd money laundering operations, its not as tourisa friendly as a lot of other cities to which I've traveled. That could be partly on where our hotel is located but you gotta money launder where the money launderers are, you know.
Last week, we dined with a couple from NC, (they love NC) and my brother in-law moved from Bothell, WA to Greenville, SC. They bought an absolute palace for $600K. Would really prefer a tropical warmer climate during the winter months.

Hit Puerto Limón, Costa Rica on our 2019 cruise. Isn't the high season for good warm, tropical weather is December - April?

ADVERTISEMENT