ADVERTISEMENT

If you want the Cougs to sign another grad transfer QB. . .

ScottHood

Nov 8, 2007
Jalen Hurts from Alabama is now available. He graduated from Alabama in Dec., and has 1 year of eligibility left.

I think some SEC team will swoop in. I also don't know if he's an Air Raid fit.

It would be interesting to see if Saban is blocking him from any schools. That may eliminate any SEC options.

He may be a great fit or a bad fit. I’d like to see him try though.

His OC went to Maryland, West Virginia needs a QB, and he could go back to Texas and play for Dana at Houston. He will have lots of options and many teams looking for his talents, I doubt WSU is in that mix, and I don't know that they should be. Oregon went the grad transfer route 2 years in a row, and I think it hurt their QB recruiting for a while.

Miami, TCU and Central Florida need a QB and are in his neck of the woods.

It would be interesting to see if Saban is blocking him from any schools. That may eliminate any SEC options.

He may be a great fit or a bad fit. I’d like to see him try though.

He's a grad transfer. He can go any place to enroll in a graduate program that is not offered at BAMA.

His OC went to Maryland, West Virginia needs a QB, and he could go back to Texas and play for Dana at Houston. He will have lots of options and many teams looking for his talents, I doubt WSU is in that mix, and I don't know that they should be. Oregon went the grad transfer route 2 years in a row, and I think it hurt their QB recruiting for a while.
Oregon's problem has been coaching since Chip left. With Leach that's the least of our issues.

Oregon's problem has been coaching since Chip left. With Leach that's the least of our issues.

Sucking also hurt Oregon's QB development. On paper the freshmen Helfrich was landing were fine.

Whenever you can say " How'd you like to lead the nation in passing?" and then actually deliver, you're in the mix.

No kidding? Going to Auburn would be like the good guy WWE wrestler turning bad. Loved and then hated lol

UCLA. BTW, there was a wrestler in the Oklahoma South World Wide Federation back in the day was Krusher Kruchev one minute and the Repo Man. That would be Hurt if he went to Auburn.

http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2019/jan/10/sources-eastern-washington-quarterback-gage-gubrud/

"Adding to the intrigue, Gubrud and about a dozen FBS assistant coaches and recruiting coordinators recently started following each other on Twitter. Among those schools represented are Washington State – which loses quarterback Gardner Minshew, a grad transfer – Utah, Boise State, Mississippi State and others. The Broncos lose senior quarterback Brett Rypien, a Shadle Park graduate, who holds several Mountain West passing records."

Reactions: Observer11
http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2019/jan/10/sources-eastern-washington-quarterback-gage-gubrud/

"Adding to the intrigue, Gubrud and about a dozen FBS assistant coaches and recruiting coordinators recently started following each other on Twitter. Among those schools represented are Washington State – which loses quarterback Gardner Minshew, a grad transfer – Utah, Boise State, Mississippi State and others. The Broncos lose senior quarterback Brett Rypien, a Shadle Park graduate, who holds several Mountain West passing records."

That one would make more sense than Hurts, who IMO would be disaster in the Air Raid. Hurts is and always will be a run first QB and he has bad stretches during games where he can not throw a rock into an ocean .

Gubrud all day, every day over Hurts and its not even close.

Wouldn't like Utah to pick him up.

Too bad the one Utah connection to Gubrud just left. Troy Taylor was the OC at EWU when they beat the Cougs.

Now, a guy named Cooper Kupp had a couple things to say about that game too but....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Troy_Taylor_(American_football)

On February 18, 2016, Taylor was announced as the Passing Game Coordinator, Quarterbacks coach and play caller for Eastern Washington.[9]

At EWU Taylor called plays and took an already stellar offense to new heights as they set 2 all-time FCS records for passing yards (5,160 yards) and total offense (5,766 yards) in a season.[10]

Taylor was instrumental in helping former walk on quarterback Gage Gubrud into a record setting QB who broke the all-time single season FCS passing record and broke the all-time record in total offense. Gubrud also won FCS player of the year from numerous sites along with Big Sky Conference co-MVP (with teammate Cooper Kupp) and also having the only team to have 3 wide receivers over 1,000 yards in the season.[11]

Gubrud also set 16 school records, 7 Big sky records and 2 FCS records all while getting the Big Sky conference championship and going undefeated in conference play. They improved in almost every offensive statistical category in his first year.

A notable win came in the first game of the season against Washington State where they won 45-42 and set a school record for total offense.[12]

I have a strong feeling that the Gardner Minshew/WSU result had a major influence in Gubrud's decision. Drive an hour and a half south and he's ready to make a statement to the NFL like Gardner did. He's a perfect fit to come in and give it a go, and I think Gubrud and WSU knows it too.

I have a strong feeling that the Gardner Minshew/WSU result had a major influence in Gubrud's decision. Drive an hour and a half south and he's ready to make a statement to the NFL like Gardner did. He's a perfect fit to come in and give it a go, and I think Gubrud and WSU knows it too.

I love his rushing stats. Any word on what kind of leader he is? It takes the right personality to move into a position like that.

Any word on what kind of leader he is? It takes the right personality to move into a position like that.

He’s got plenty of moxie with a few pops in him :cool:

Police report: Eastern Washington quarterback Gage Gubrud was heavily intoxicated at crime scene

“Court documents said Gubrud explained several times that he was the quarterback for the EWU football team and said the officers on scene were “a**holes. Documents state that he told an officer if he didn’t know who he was to look at all the billboards around town because he was on them.”

Police report: Eastern Washington quarterback Gage Gubrud was heavily intoxicated at crime scene

“Court documents said Gubrud explained several times that he was the quarterback for the EWU football team and said the officers on scene were “a**holes. Documents state that he told an officer if he didn’t know who he was to look at all the billboards around town because he was on them.”

I guess he isnt wrong. lol

Reactions: SilverStateCoug
Let’s get Gubrud, Hurts, the kid from Buffalo and have them battle it out on Fortnite. Winner starts spring ball number one on the depth chart. Loser hits the road and goes to some other shitty school like Oklahoma or Florida State.

Tinsley or Gordon will be starting. And whoever it is will pick up where Minshew left off.

Reactions: BiggsCoug

Loves the barley pops. Good fit for the Cougs.

Get Gubrud and let's go win another 11 games. At least.

Reactions: BiggsCoug
Charges were dropped, with no explanation other than 'some things in the police report were disputed'.

Is it really that easy to beat the rap in Cheney?

Officer: I saw you. You hit that guy with your car.
Suspect: No I didn't.
Judge: So information is disputed? Case dismissed.

Charges were dropped, with no explanation other than 'some things in the police report were disputed'.

Is it really that easy to beat the rap in Cheney?

Officer: I saw you. You hit that guy with your car.
Suspect: No I didn't.
Judge: So information is disputed? Case dismissed.

I can neither confirm nor deny that Mrs. Observer11's father may or may not have been the attorney for the City of Cheney and she may or may not have been the recipient of certain professional courtesies. Especially with regard to some creative math in various controlled speed zones within the city limits.

Statute of limitations expired.

I was torn about the thought of getting another QB transfer. Last season was unique in so many ways. It ended up with the highest number of wins in Cougar history.
Is it fair to the red shirt senior QBs who have waited their turn?
In the end it's about winning and staying within the rules, and getting a QB transfer is within the rules. It doesn't mean the transfer gets the job. He just gets to compete.

So let them battle it out and the best QB win the job. Same goes for any other position.

I can neither confirm nor deny that Mrs. Observer11's father may or may not have been the attorney for the City of Cheney and she may or may not have been the recipient of certain professional courtesies. Especially with regard to some creative math in various controlled speed zones within the city limits.

Statute of limitations expired.
Plausible deniability is always the safest route until or after things shake out:)

Let’s not forget. Tinsley and Gordon where brought here to back up TH Neither one would have started next year and Cam would have been a rs soph when he got his shot.

I'm gonna say that no coach recruits a QB thinking, "I don't think he's good enough to start but I want a scrub who can fill the spot". Unfortunately, it often turns out that a kid ends up not being good enough to start, but I don't believe for a minute that Leach would extend a scholarship to a QB just to check a box.

In answer to this thread's implied question: I want Leach to continue coaching this team and making the personnel decisions. Hence, whatever he decides, I'm good with.

Why would you think this? Leach is only 37-15 over the past four seasons. He isn't going to get it done.

Reactions: taf88
In answer to this thread's implied question: I want Leach to continue coaching this team and making the personnel decisions. Hence, whatever he decides, I'm good with.
And as his most coachable team (that I hope carries on)- whatever they accept and support.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT