ADVERTISEMENT

In-state recruiting on the rise under Mike Leach

PeteTheChop

Hall Of Fame
May 25, 2005
There was a recent thread here at the WSU Rivals.com site that highlighted some of the outstanding Washingtonians who've worn the Crimson and Gray.

It got me to thinking about the in-state talent Coach Leach has brought to Pullman in his six-plus years on the job. IMO, it's a pretty impressive list when you consider some of the names below who've helped the Cougs become entrenched as a top-tier Pac-12 program.

Just for reference's sake, I've listed the reporter "Power 5 Conefrence" scholarship offers these players received. It's interesting to note the last two years how more and more "big-name schools" seem to be recruiting the same kids as Coach Leach. It appears now that when WSU offers, other peer programs suddenly become interested.

A good problem to have.

Class of 2018 (2)

Rodrick Jackson-Fisher, WR, Spokane East Valley (Utah)
Cade Beresford, OL, Woodinville (USC, Nebraska, UCLA, Arizona, ASU, Oregon State)

Class of 2017 (2)
Abraham Lucas, OL, Everett Archbishop Murphy (Cal, Oregon State?)
Caleb Perry, RB, Shoreline King's Garden (Missouri)
  • Two more prospects — highly-touted Richland OL Dontae Powell and Lacey River Ridge DE Kelle Sanders — were listed as WSU commits but signed with junior colleges instead. Not sure if it was for academic reasons or if Coach Leach just decided to go in a different direction?

Class of 2016
D'Jimon Jones, CB/WR, Federal Way (none)
Justus Rogers, QB/ATH, Bellevue (none)
Josh Watson, OL, Everett Cascade (none)

Class of 2015
None

Class of 2014
Andre Dillard, OL, Woodinville (none)
Deion Singleton, DB, Pasco Chiawana (Arkansas, Georgia Tech, LSU, Miami, Tennessee, etc.)

Class of 2013
Isaac Dotson, ATH, Bellevue Newport (none)
Cole Madison, OL, Burien JFK (none)
Matt Meyer, OL, Lynden (none)
Peyton Pelluer, LB, Sammamish Skyline (ASU, Colorado)
Markell Sanders, DB, Sammamish Eastside Catholic (none)

Class of 2012 (first CML class)
Sam Flor, OL, Seattle O'Dea (none)
B.J. Salmonson, OL, Nooksack Valley (none)
Jacob Tuivaiave, DE, Tacoma Washington (none)
  • All three in-state signees in 2012 committed to Coach Paul Wulff and Mike Leach was able to keep them in the fold
For comparison, going back to CPW's signing classes from 2008 through 2011, WSU signed a total of 19 in-state prospects. That list includes future NFL players in Xavier Cooper, John Fullington and Jake Rodgers, a near-NFL player in Jared Karstetter and a record-setting passer in Connor Halliday. Some other noteworthy signees Corey Mackey, Casey Locker, Chris Mastin (whatever happened to that guy?), Blair Bomber and Rahmel Dockery.

What is your point??? Are you trying to say Paul Wulff recruited better football players that Mike Leach??? I think the answer is the number of wins each coach has produced.

In the fall of 2010 I met a Husky football coach by the name of Marcus Tui (something) at a wedding. Marcus was quite guarded in his comments knowing that I come from a large WSU family. The one thing Marcus did say was the UW staff would just shake their heads in disbelief when the LOI's came in because they did not think the majority of players Wulff and his staff were signing were Big Sky caliber players let alone Pac 12 athletes.

Reactions: BiggsCoug
The Cougs have had a difficult time recruiting players from Washington state at the running back position. Hopefully Caleb Perry is a sign of good things to come.

Reactions: PeteTheChop
What is your point??? Are you trying to say Paul Wulff recruited better football players that Mike Leach??? I think the answer is the number of wins each coach has produced.

No, not at all.

IMO, Washington produces some terrific high school football talent — not the quantity of some other states, obviously, but certainly there are WA players who can start and excel for bowl teams.

Love him or hate him, Coach Wulff did land several good in-state prospects in his efforts to rebuild and reload a program.

But what Coach Leach has done is steadily elevate WSU's recruiting with the high-profile, blue- and red-chips prospects in our state.

Under CML, the Cougs are regularly beating their "Power 5" competition for talent during the past two recruiting cycles.

I expect we'll see even more of the same in the next few years.

No, not at all.

IMO, Washington produces some terrific high school football talent — not the quantity of some other states, obviously, but certainly there are WA players who can start and excel for bowl teams.

Love him or hate him, Coach Wulff did land several good in-state prospects in his efforts to rebuild and reload a program.

But what Coach Leach has done is steadily elevate WSU's recruiting with the high-profile, blue- and red-chips prospects in our state.

Under CML, the Cougs are regularly beating their "Power 5" competition for talent during the past two recruiting cycles.

"Several good in-state prospects" is a very low bar. Wulff would take guys that were getting offers from Idaho and Wyoming. Leach is/has been getting guys from CA, HI and Samoa that wouldn't give Wulff the time of day.

Guys that never played a snap or showed up on campus are not "good in-state prospects." Bomber barely played at Eastern after his transfer. Halliday set records because of Leach, not Wulff.

"Several good in-state prospects" is a very low bar. Wulff would take guys that were getting offers from Idaho and Wyoming. Leach is/has been getting guys from CA, HI and Samoa that wouldn't give Wulff the time of day.

Guys that never played a snap or showed up on campus are not "good in-state prospects." Bomber barely played at Eastern after his transfer. Halliday set records because of Leach, not Wulff.

I don't want to get into a Leach vs. Wulff pissing match, but Connor threw for 494 yards and 4 touchdowns in his first serious action as a Coug against ASU in November 2011. Kid was going to throw for a ton of yards no matter who is coach was.

Leach is/has been getting guys from CA, HI and Samoa that wouldn't give Wulff the time of day.

I guess the $24 question remains: Who inherited more talent when he took over WSU Football?

Paul Wulff from Bill Doba in 2007 or Mike Leach from Paul Wulff in 2011?

In other words, Was CPW's recruiting worse or better than CBD's?

No, not at all.

Your opinion is wrong. Washington produces good small college talent. lt does not produce much BCS caliber talent.

If you look at the top 10 kids in state, not much for WSU commits.

Frankly, your whole post is dumb. There isn’t much BCS talent in state, what talent there is isn’t keen on WSU and Leach hasn’t had much success at all in state. Unless you think a couple of guys is successful. In that case, raise your standards.

Reactions: Fab5Coug
I guess the $24 question remains: Who inherited more talent when he took over WSU Football?

It was pretty even.

Your opinion is wrong. Washington produces good small college talent. lt does not produce much BCS caliber talent.

If you look at the top 10 kids in state, not much for WSU commits.

Frankly, your whole post is dumb. There isn’t much BCS talent in state, what talent there is isn’t keen on WSU and Leach hasn’t had much success at all in state. Unless you think a couple of guys is successful. In that case, raise your standards.

2 things. First (not you Biggs), can we PLEASE just leave former CPW out of this thread. Or any thread I would hope. It's been 7 years.

Second - Biggs etc - you say Washington does not produce much BCS talent. Then you say getting two of those guys is no success. Well which is it? How many BCS guys are there in the state each year - 10, 20, 50? How many does UW get? (I'm not looking, I'm lazy). If we are getting 2 out of 10, competing nationally and with UW, that's not horrible. If it is 2 out of 50, well then yeah....

There isn’t much BCS talent in state, what talent there is isn’t keen on WSU and Leach hasn’t had much success at all in state. Unless you think a couple of guys is successful. In that case, raise your standards.

Hasn't had much success?

Rodrick Jackson-Fisher played in the prestigious US Army All-American Game last month. There are probably 129 Division I-A programs that would've been happy to swipe him from WSU's recruiting class.

IMO, CML has done a very solid job in state, steadily increasing WSU's recruiting success on its home turf as the program becomes entrenched into the Pac-12's upper echelon.

I wouldn't be surprised to see more US Army, Under Armour or Semper Fi All-Americans matriculate to Pullman under Mike Leach's watch.

Hasn't had much success?

Rodrick Jackson-Fisher played in the prestigious US Army All-American Game last month. There are probably 129 Division I-A programs that would've been happy to swipe him from WSU's recruiting class.

IMO, CML has done a very solid job in state, steadily increasing WSU's recruiting success on its home turf as the program becomes entrenched into the Pac-12's upper echelon.

I wouldn't be surprised to see more US Army, Under Armour or Semper Fi All-Americans matriculate to Pullman under Mike Leach's watch.

1 guy.

Again, your opinion is wrong.

2 things. First (not you Biggs), can we PLEASE just leave former CPW out of this thread. Or any thread I would hope. It's been 7 years.

Second - Biggs etc - you say Washington does not produce much BCS talent. Then you say getting two of those guys is no success. Well which is it? How many BCS guys are there in the state each year - 10, 20, 50? How many does UW get? (I'm not looking, I'm lazy). If we are getting 2 out of 10, competing nationally and with UW, that's not horrible. If it is 2 out of 50, well then yeah....

LC, it's not just the lack of volume of in state kids going to WSU, it's the lack of interest altogether. I'd be interested to know how many said no without even showing up on campus.

There might be a dozen kids in a good year. So you tell me, how many of the dozen would you call a success? 2? 4? 6? IMO, a minimum of 4 or 5. If you can't land 30% of the instate talent there's a problem. WSU is landing maybe one or two guys in the top ten. There might be another guy they pick up in the top 15. I wouldn't call that successful at all. Which is why I write that ptc's post is stupid. In fact, it reminds me of crap you'd read on brand turd.

If I were in charge, I'd have 1 coach make a trip thru WA and OR and whoever showed initial interest I'd pursue. Whoever didn't, move on. There is simply no reason to allocate money, time, and people to a state that only lands 2 or 3 LOI's in a year. What Doba and Turd did in allocating 2 coaches to recruit WA was asinine. Those two coaches spending that much time on 10 kids??? You can find 10 BCS kids within a 45 minute drive in SoCal. And you could make a case that WSU gets more love from Southern California coaches and kids than Washington and Oregon coaches and kids.

I understand the thinking that you want to maintain a good relationship with the high school coaches. To me, it goes both ways. How many years can you expect a coach to show up at your school and offer your kids only to walk away empty handed???? I know college coaches that have directed their staff never to walk into certain high schools again because their kids won't consider their school.

I don't want to get into a Leach vs. Wulff pissing match, but Connor threw for 494 yards and 4 touchdowns in his first serious action as a Coug against ASU in November 2011. Kid was going to throw for a ton of yards no matter who is coach was.
Chad Davis would have thrown for 400 in that game. ASU had already quit, and did not come to play.

LC, it's not just the lack of volume of in state kids going to WSU, it's the lack of interest altogether. I'd be interested to know how many said no without even showing up on campus.

There might be a dozen kids in a good year. So you tell me, how many of the dozen would you call a success? 2? 4? 6? IMO, a minimum of 4 or 5. If you can't land 30% of the instate talent there's a problem. WSU is landing maybe one or two guys in the top ten. There might be another guy they pick up in the top 15. I wouldn't call that successful at all. Which is why I write that ptc's post is stupid. In fact, it reminds me of crap you'd read on brand turd.

If I were in charge, I'd have 1 coach make a trip thru WA and OR and whoever showed initial interest I'd pursue. Whoever didn't, move on. There is simply no reason to allocate money, time, and people to a state that only lands 2 or 3 LOI's in a year. What Doba and Turd did in allocating 2 coaches to recruit WA was asinine. Those two coaches spending that much time on 10 kids??? You can find 10 BCS kids within a 45 minute drive in SoCal. And you could make a case that WSU gets more love from Southern California coaches and kids than Washington and Oregon coaches and kids.

I understand the thinking that you want to maintain a good relationship with the high school coaches. To me, it goes both ways. How many years can you expect a coach to show up at your school and offer your kids only to walk away empty handed???? I know college coaches that have directed their staff never to walk into certain high schools again because their kids won't consider their school.

I'll take it a different direction - and I'm aware of this first hand at least three schools - there are high school coaches in Washington who, when asked if there is any talent at their particular school - respond with "nope'. Immediately. They don't even try to promote any kids to walk on, they don't factor in potential growth/upside after college, nothing. They act as judge, juror and executioner on their own players. It's disgusting. Partly I think they do it to cover up for their own deficiencies when their teams consistently underperform - they can say "we just didn't have any talent'.

No wonder parents haul their kids all over hell to camps and 7 on 7 travel teams and stuff. A lot of the high school guys don't do their jobs. Some do but some are really full of themselves.

Reactions: Alpine Cougar

Does it matter? It is like Elizabeth Taylor saying her first husband was a better lover than her second.

I don't disagree with you. How many Pac 12 olineman does this state produce a year?
Easily found. 2018 Rivals has 11 in their database but only 6 have shown to be recruited at any level. Only 2 at the BCS level.

https://n.rivals.com/search#?formVa...abbr%22:%5B%22WA%22%5D,%22page_number%22:1%7D

Since numbers are whats being talked about, generic numbers, again are easy to find. Rivals has this cool feature where you can look up recruits. WA total recruits for 2018= 73 total in the database. 33 with an actual star ranking (which generically means they have an offer, if I recall). 15 kids with BCS offers.

https://n.rivals.com/search#?formVa...abbr%22:%5B%22WA%22%5D,%22page_number%22:1%7D

I'll take it a different direction - and I'm aware of this first hand at least three schools - there are high school coaches in Washington who, when asked if there is any talent at their particular school - respond with "nope'. Immediately. They don't even try to promote any kids to walk on, they don't factor in potential growth/upside after college, nothing. They act as judge, juror and executioner on their own players. It's disgusting. Partly I think they do it to cover up for their own deficiencies when their teams consistently underperform - they can say "we just didn't have any talent'.

No wonder parents haul their kids all over hell to camps and 7 on 7 travel teams and stuff. A lot of the high school guys don't do their jobs. Some do but some are really full of themselves.

In a state where legit BCS talent stands out prominently on the field, it doesn't come down to what the coach does or doesn't think. The kid looked like a super star. He was either 6'7" or not. He either ran by kids like they were standing still or he didn't. He was either all league or all state or he wasn't. If it's coming down to a referral on whether a kid is BCS or not, he isn't. BCS is something you wake up in the morning with. It's DNA.

I wouldn't disagree that there are guys all over the country that could do a better job of creating exposure for their kids. However, true BCS talent doesn't need it.

Question for you... where did the kids land that were not receiving the promotion you felt they deserved?

Very disappointing to learn.

It makes you wonder how many kids lost a chance at a scholarship or an opportunity to play college football because their coaches didn't give a dang.

In a state where legit BCS talent stands out prominently on the field, it doesn't come down to what the coach does or doesn't think. The kid looked like a super star. He was either 6'7" or not. He either ran by kids like they were standing still or he didn't. He was either all league or all state or he wasn't. If it's coming down to a referral on whether a kid is BCS or not, he isn't. BCS is something you wake up in the morning with. It's DNA.

I wouldn't disagree that there are guys all over the country that could do a better job of creating exposure for their kids. However, true BCS talent doesn't need it.

Question for you... where did the kids land that were not receiving the promotion you felt they deserved?

One is a PWO at a Power 5 school, the other I’m thinking of specifically played three years at a BIg Sky school I’m aware of one other who ended up an All American at the FBS level. Could have easily played pac 12 ball. No question.

Point being, they got jacked by their high school coaches. If that skews over an entire state, you’re talking a bunch of potential student athletes who get shut down before they even have a chance.

Very disappointing to learn.

It makes you wonder how many kids lost a chance at a scholarship or an opportunity to play college football because their coaches didn't give a dang.
That's why they have the camps that they have. That is why several years ago the likes of Alabama wanted to cut off access to the camps for coaches like Leach and others. The problem with a lot of teh camps it isn't a day camp so the poor kids are really the ones who don't get the exposure unless their high school coach does a good job.

Reactions: Observer11
One is a PWO at a Power 5 school, the other I’m thinking of specifically played three years at a BIg Sky school I’m aware of one other who ended up an All American at the FBS level. Could have easily played pac 12 ball. No question.

Point being, they got jacked by their high school coaches. If that skews over an entire state, you’re talking a bunch of potential student athletes who get shut down before they even have a chance.

If these guys were legit ballers in high school they were evaluated. Their coach may not have helped them, which sucks. They may not have been evaluated correctly or fairly, Kellen Moore and Cooper Kupp. But their film was seen. Keep in mind, what works in the Big Sky won't always work in the PAC 12. We saw first hand what that does.

Football is a DNA game. I agree that coaches need to promote their guys. I don't agree that there are guys all over the state able to play BCS ball. BCS kids are all state. They're 6'7". They run 10.7 in the 100 meter. They score 25 touchdowns in a season. There aren't many of those guys around in WA.

If these guys were legit ballers in high school they were evaluated. Their coach may not have helped them, which sucks. They may not have been evaluated correctly or fairly, Kellen Moore and Cooper Kupp. But their film was seen. Keep in mind, what works in the Big Sky won't always work in the PAC 12. We saw first hand what that does.

Football is a DNA game. I agree that coaches need to promote their guys. I don't agree that there are guys all over the state able to play BCS ball. BCS kids are all state. They're 6'7". They run 10.7 in the 100 meter. They score 25 touchdowns in a season. There aren't many of those guys around in WA.

Some guys are late bloomers too. Didn't Cupp grow 2-3 inches during his RS year?

Gee, thank you for the compliment, sir :)

The key is identifying and signing top players in the state who CML and his recruiting staff think would fit well at WSU — with "fit" being the key word.

Here, according to Rivals.com, are the top prospects from Washington since Mike Leach's first class nearly six years ago.

1. Zach Banner, OT, Lakes (USC)
2. Joshua Garnett, OG, Puyallup (Stanford)
3. KeiVarae Russell, ATH, Mariner (Notre Dame)
4. Cedric Dozier, ATH, Lakes (Cal)
5. Jeff Lindquist, QB, Mercer Island (Washington)
6. Caleb Smith, TE, Kentridge (Oregon State)
7. Walker Williams, OT, Tacoma Baptist (Wisconsin)
8. Trent Sewell, WR, Bothell (Wyoming)
9. Nathan Dean, OT, Juanita (Washington)
10. Dustin Stanton, TE, Lakewood (Oregon State)

1. Max Browne, QB, Skyline (USC)
2. Myles Jack, LB, Bellevue (UCLA)
3. Sean Constantine, LB, Bellevue (Washington)
4. Danny Mattingly, LB, Mead (Oregon)
5. Tatum Taylor, CB, O'Dea (ASU-track)
6. Sefo Liufau, QB, Bellarmine (Colorado)
7. Tere Calloway, CB, Seattle Prep (Nevada)
8. Kolney Cassel, QB, Eisenhower (SMU)
9. Mason Friedline, OG, King's Garden (Yale)
10. Cody O'Connell, OT, Wenatchee (WSU)

1. Budda Baker, S, Bellevue (Washington)
2. Kaleb McGary, OT, Fife (Washington)
3. Marcus Griffin, DT, Bellevue (Arizona)
4. Devante Downs, ATH, Mountlake Terrace (Cal)
5. Isaiah Brandt-Sims, ATH, Wenatchee (Stanford)
6. Nick Mitchell, QB, Mount Si (Oregon State)
7. Drew Lewis, S, Eastlake (Washington)
8. Shane Bowman, DE, Bellevue (Washington)
9. Drew Clarkson, C, Camas (Oregon State)
10. Morgan Richey, OT, Bellevue (Washington)

1. Brett Rypien, QB, Shadle Park (Boise State)
2. Benning Potoa'e, DE, Lakes (Washington)
3. Austin Joyner, ATH, Marysville-Pilchuck (Washington)
4. Fotu Leiato, LB, Steilacoom (Oregon)
5. Ross Bowers, QB, Bothell (Cal)
6. Shane Lemieux, OT, Yakima West Valley (Oregon)
7. Henry Roberts, OT, Bellevue (Washington)
8. Trey Adams, OT, Wenatchee (Washington)
9. Calvin Throckmorton, OT, Bellevue Newport (Oregon)
10. Myles Gaskin, RB, O'Dea (Washington)

1. Jacob Eason, QB, Lake Stevens (Georgia)
2. Brandon Wellington, ATH, Eastside Catholic (Washington)
3. Isaiah Gilchrist, CB, Bellevue (Washington)
4. Eric Briscoe, LB, Davis (Oregon)
5. Isaac Garcia, DE, Bellevue (Oregon State)
6. Evan Weaver, DE, Gonzaga Prep (Cal)
7. Taylor Rapp, S, Sehome (Washington)
8. Amandre Williams, DE, Tahoma (Washington)
9. Paul Finau, DT, Kentwood (unsigned)
10. Justus Rogers, QB, Bellevue (WSU)

1. Foster Sarell, OT, Graham-Kapowsin (Stanford)
2. Hunter Bryant, TE, Eastside Catholic (Washington)
3. Connor Wedington, ATH, Sumner (Stanford)
4. Salvon Ahmed, ATH, Juanita (Washington)
5. Henry Bainivalu, OT, Skyline (Washington)
6. Cade Otton, TE, Tumwater (Washington)
7. Kelle Sanders, ATH, River Ridge (junior college)
8. Ali Gaye, DE, Edmonds-Woodway (junior college)
9. Joe Tryon, DE, Hazen (Washington)
10. Dontae Powell, OT, Richland (junior college)

1. Jacob Sirmon, QB, Bothell (Washington)
2. Tre'Shaun Harrison, ATH, Garfield (available)
3. Kyler Gordon, CB, Archbishop Murphy (Washington)
4. Daniel Arias, WR, Jackson (Colorado)
5. Devin Culp, WR, Gonzaga Prep (Washington)
6. Rodrick Fisher, WR, Spokane East Valley (WSU)
7. Ben Wilson, LB, Sumner (TCU)
8. Cade Beresford, OT, Woodinville (WSU)
9. MJ Ale, OT, Fife (Washington)
10. Matthew Cindric, DE, Skyline (Cal)

CML has so far signed two of the Top 8 players in the Class of 2018 with one more still available.

From the Class of 2017, he got 2 of the Top 10 to commit in Kelle Sanders and Dontae Powell. They went to junior college this season (Sanders was credited with 5 tackles in 6 games, while Powell was second-team all-conference. Both played for powerhouse teams).

You would think Coach Leach would have a good chance of getting either of these one-time WSU verbal commits back into the fold if he so chooses.

Agree with Biggs, Loyal and others ... It has been a long climb to elevate WSU's in-state recruiting of high profile players.

But CML is slowly but surely moving things in the right direction.

In fairness, CML did dip down into Oregon and steal a couple kids and also into Idaho last year with the big OL from Eagle.

So, even though it's not in-state, it's within a days drive and the kids will likely stick around after the first snow.

Reactions: PeteTheChop
In fairness, CML did dip down into Oregon and steal a couple kids and also into Idaho last year with the big OL from Eagle.

So, even though it's not in-state, it's within a days drive and the kids will likely stick around after the first snow.

If WSU could come up with 6 legit BCS kids per year from the NW that'd be a good start. It may take another 5 bowls in a row.

If WSU could come up with 6 legit BCS kids per year from the NW that'd be a good start. It may take another 5 bowls in a row.

Getting three or four guys out the top 10 in state would be a pretty big deal.

Getting three or four guys out the top 10 in state would be a pretty big deal.

Getting half of the top 10 has prob never happened before. The best thing WSU can do is keep going to bowl games. There is no reason for any WR, QB, RB, OL or DB in the NW to NOT show up on campus and see what WSU has to offer if they are serious about playing in the NFL. It's a passing league and no one is gonna develop you more for it then WSU.

Getting half of the top 10 has prob never happened before. The best thing WSU can do is keep going to bowl games. There is no reason for any WR, QB, RB, OL or DB in the NW to NOT show up on campus and see what WSU has to offer if they are serious about playing in the NFL. It's a passing league and no one is gonna develop you more for it then WSU.

If after several years of 5 uw commits vs 1 or none for us, if we can finalize and duplicate 2018 and get 2 vs 4 for the mutts and 4 leaving I am happy. and as said earlier, 1 coach recruiting instate is plenty.

Ironically, the only time I can think of that being close, was in 09 when Wulff landed Simone, Nolan Washington, Grow Masters Atofau & Barrington, Mastin, Locker & Travis Long.

Of course, that was against a, more or less, coachless UW.

Pete, you're making me think once again that you're playing dumb and just trying to cast light on bad facts ... in this case, WSU's inability to recruit in-state (and specifically, not getting the time of day from many kids who have UW offers).

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT