ADVERTISEMENT

Indoor facility AKA Taylor Sports Complex

wsudefense

Team Captain
Jul 18, 2006
I would have thought it was be getting started by now. Just found some info.

I would have thought it was be getting started by now. Just found some info.

Construction in the WSU system takes a looong time. When you have the money, you can start 2 years of pre-design (basically project scoping and initial concepts). When you’re through that, you start 2 years of design, turning the concept into a plan. Then you go to 2 years of construction.

Weird thing is that they’re more and more frequently following the design-build concept, where you start construction before the project design is actually finished. But, the way the state runs projects, design-build is guaranteed to lead to mistakes, changes, delays, and bigger expenses, if for no other reason than ideas and needs change when it takes 4 years to go from a concept on paper to actually moving dirt.

The state’s construction process really desperately needs to get torn down to the ground and rebuilt.

Reactions: PeteTheChop
The money would be far better spent creating a NIL shell corp. and going into the sustainable low end, pay to play market. Offering 10-12 transfers 36K per year, each year, renewed if they start. Most kids in the portal aren't getting any money when they transfer. We would instantly improve our recruiting far more than any facility would. Most football kids don't have rich daddies, the exact opposite, and would far more persuaded by the Benjamins.

Until the craziness ends, building for "the future" makes no sense. We don't have a TV deal, 4 teams are threatening to leave the conference as we speak. The Pac-12 could be gone in a puff of smoke, like the Big East and SWC, and we might be try to pay off our existing facilities mortgages, which have hamstrung us already, on a Mountain West budget.

Construction in the WSU system takes a looong time. When you have the money, you can start 2 years of pre-design (basically project scoping and initial concepts). When you’re through that, you start 2 years of design, turning the concept into a plan. Then you go to 2 years of construction.

Weird thing is that they’re more and more frequently following the design-build concept, where you start construction before the project design is actually finished. But, the way the state runs projects, design-build is guaranteed to lead to mistakes, changes, delays, and bigger expenses, if for no other reason than ideas and needs change when it takes 4 years to go from a concept on paper to actually moving dirt.

The state’s construction process really desperately needs to get torn down to the ground and rebuilt.
The IPF ain't got nothing on the North-South freeway.

The IPF is going to help other sports, which is why it's going to cost so much. I personally think you could do it pretty well for a fraction of what they are planning to spend. That said, for women's soccer to have an indoor field, track and other sports same thing, will help out in the long-run. I'd also imagine we are like the last P5 athletic department, in a northern climate, to not have something similar. UCLA arguably doesn't need this as an example.

Reactions: wazzucougs96
The money would be far better spent creating a NIL shell corp. and going into the sustainable low end, pay to play market. Offering 10-12 transfers 36K per year, each year, renewed if they start.

"Mr. and Mrs. Jones, I know Dr. Schultz and Mr. Chun told you the donation was for the Indoor Practice Facility to benefit all WSU athletes and that your names would be on the front of the building. But we've decided to pivot and give your donation to football recruits to hopefully win more football games. No guarantees, though.

"Hope you won't mind."

Wasn't that the sort of make do mindset that led to "The Bubble" turning out to be somewhat less than ideal?

I remember snarky attitudes from Cougs on how much better the bubble was than Oregon's indoor practice facility from a cost standpoint. We gotta build things the right way when we can because we don't have a deep pocketed donor writing checks for upgrades.

My point on the cost is what type of materials are you using. Seahawks training facility is primarily metal.

Did he get a settlement?
Pretty sure that (Rolo settlement) was a joke.

Couple of things.

I donated my $100 for this facility 10-15 years ago. Wonder if I will still get my promised brick.

Why does it take 2 years and millions to design what is basically a big barn? Trash Moos all we want, but he got the FOB and new pressbox/luxury suite built in no time. Talk about design and engineering time/cost? Just go find another school's building that fits the bill and pay for the blueprints. F-ing architects and engineers, gotta reinvent the wheel everytime.

To Chop's comments - Chun and Schultz are not ready for sainthood. Not now, not ever.

Reactions: CougSinceBirth
The IPF is going to help other sports, which is why it's going to cost so much. I personally think you could do it pretty well for a fraction of what they are planning to spend. That said, for women's soccer to have an indoor field, track and other sports same thing, will help out in the long-run. I'd also imagine we are like the last P5 athletic department, in a northern climate, to not have something similar. UCLA arguably doesn't need this as an example.
The same could be said for every construction project WSU runs. There's a ton of money and time wasted.

The same could be said for every construction project WSU runs. There's a ton of money and time wasted.
Not just WSU - any state agency, any project. The public sector - no profit motive, no accountability. Starting with second string administrators sucking on the state tit their entire careers.

Been that way forever, and I know it. Worked in it for most of my career.

Couple of things.

I donated my $100 for this facility 10-15 years ago. Wonder if I will still get my promised brick.

Why does it take 2 years and millions to design what is basically a big barn? Trash Moos all we want, but he got the FOB and new pressbox/luxury suite built in no time. Talk about design and engineering time/cost? Just go find another school's building that fits the bill and pay for the blueprints. F-ing architects and engineers, gotta reinvent the wheel everytime.

To Chop's comments - Chun and Schultz are not ready for sainthood. Not now, not ever.

John Johnson managed those projects.

Give credit where credit is earned.

Reactions: CougSinceBirth

Couple of things.

Did you miss a zero? Pretty sure it was $1,000 minimum for an acknowledgement brick (which I did over 5 years IIRC). It was years of nagging Brady Crook and others but they finally had them made. Think it was on the patio outside the front entrance.

Interesting idea about saving money by using a design that had already be proven elsewhere. I like that a lot. Of course, I have felt for years that that is how WA should be with schools- have three of the best designs for each level and let the district pick which one to build. Lots of money left to go to something that actually would help the students. Also thought that all overpasses should be modular designs- do all the site surveys and investigations, do the foundation design, and than haul in the modular pieces and assemble the pieces on site, saving a ton of time on the schedule.

More out of the box thinking from me. Anyone remember years ago when the state was talking about spending a buttload of money (I think it was over a billion dollars) to demolish the Satsop nuclear plant cooling towers? How about repurposing those things for something useful. Since the things were like 300' tall and 15-20' thick concrete walls, what could they possibly be good for? I'll tell you- a PRISON! Stack some floors up inside with central atrium and slap a roof over it (natural light gets down below, but still very secure) and you have a cost effective facility for housing criminals. What's not to like, other than the unfortunate situation that we have so many damn criminals in the first place? :)

Reactions: Cougini5591
We heard the same about the FOB.

The IPF is a legacy project for Schultz and Chin.

Why go through the hassle of raising the money not to build it?
FOB got traction and went up...quick.

IPF has been pushed down the road many, many years (even with previous regimes). But all I've heard is Schultz and Chun are getting it done. Until the shovel is in the ground, they're the same as their predecessors.

FOB got traction and went up...quick.

IPF has been pushed down the road many, many years (even with previous regimes). But all I've heard is Schultz and Chun are getting it done. Until the shovel is in the ground, they're the same as their predecessors.

I think board of regents officially approving it to be built is a big indicator. The IPF never got in front of the board of regents before.

Reactions: PeteTheChop
Not just WSU - any state agency, any project. The public sector - no profit motive, no accountability. Starting with second string administrators sucking on the state tit their entire careers.

Been that way forever, and I know it. Worked in it for most of my career.

Easy to become jaded in an environment where one is surrounded by mediocrity or worse year after year.

Sounds kinda like the Mariners

Oh boy can’t we all wait to see the bells and whistles.. they will have it built before ours..

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT