ADVERTISEMENT

Interesting scholarship rule change looming

CougPatrol

Hall Of Fame
Dec 8, 2006
Rumor on the other site is the NCAA is doing away with the 25 scholarship/year rule, but keeping the 85 man roster limit. The rationale is that it will help combat the portal in years when teams lose multiple players to transfer.

This is an interesting time in collegiate athletics, and while it seems like more and more control (and money) is being shifted to the athletes, I suspect that the NCAA will have some counter punches of their own. While I haven't read through the entire proposal, this is interesting to me, as it gives schools leverage when kids enter the portal. Players who opt to test the portal wire may discover that their current program has elected to use their scholarship on an incoming high school player or transfer, and that their window for returning to their current team has closed. Another scenario will be that when programs lose bunches of kids to the portal, they can now recruit 35-45 high school kids in a single class to help restock their rosters.

Rumor on the other site is the NCAA is doing away with the 25 scholarship/year rule, but keeping the 85 man roster limit. The rationale is that it will help combat the portal in years when teams lose multiple players to transfer.

This is an interesting time in collegiate athletics, and while it seems like more and more control (and money) is being shifted to the athletes, I suspect that the NCAA will have some counter punches of their own. While I haven't read through the entire proposal, this is interesting to me, as it gives schools leverage when kids enter the portal. Players who opt to test the portal wire may discover that their current program has elected to use their scholarship on an incoming high school player or transfer, and that their window for returning to their current team has closed. Another scenario will be that when programs lose bunches of kids to the portal, they can now recruit 35-45 high school kids in a single class to help restock their rosters.
Poor schools can hardly afford the schollies they have, this is a half measure akin to putting lipstick on a pig.

Poor schools can hardly afford the schollies they have, this is a half measure akin to putting lipstick on a pig.
I don’t agree. There are years when teams carry a lot of recruiting momentum following a breakout season, a new coaching hire, etc. Now they can recruit more kids than the standard 25 they normally would.

Seems like a lot of discussions about different ideas, with not a lot of consensus on anything. My guess is that the NCAA will do their best imitation of Congress - they’ll talk about the problem and not do anything about it until they reach a point where the problem is bigger than any solution they can offer.

It won’t take long.

looks like this is a done deal, at least for 2 years. Criticism is that now there’s nothing to prevent a team from scrapping its entire roster and starting over every year. Or, a rich team dumping everyone outside the 2-deep and scavenging players from everyone else through the portal.

Still no word about any controls on that.

looks like this is a done deal, at least for 2 years. Criticism is that now there’s nothing to prevent a team from scrapping its entire roster and starting over every year. Or, a rich team dumping everyone outside the 2-deep and scavenging players from everyone else through the portal.

It's a two year rule that will more than likely be a permanent change. The way players portal when a coach leaves was going to leave teams devastated and this will at least give teams a fighting chance to find a group of players who can compete.

We've lived in the world in basketball for a while now. It is a death sentence for bad coaches. Smart coaches are able to sell playing time and development to talented kids who might not be in line for immediate playing time at the Bama or Clemson's of the world. If they become stars young, they may leave for a ton of NIL bucks, but that's not a bad story to sell potential replacements.

I think this will ultimately raise the level of play in FBS football. Guys who are misses will quickly be power flushed down to lower levels. Guys like Cam Ward will find themselves on P5 rosters. Off seasons will be even more wild.

I'm not a huge fan of these changes but I've made by peace with it. I think it makes it easier to win in Pullman with a coach like Dickert.

It's a two year rule that will more than likely be a permanent change. The way players portal when a coach leaves was going to leave teams devastated and this will at least give teams a fighting chance to find a group of players who can compete.

We've lived in the world in basketball for a while now. It is a death sentence for bad coaches. Smart coaches are able to sell playing time and development to talented kids who might not be in line for immediate playing time at the Bama or Clemson's of the world. If they become stars young, they may leave for a ton of NIL bucks, but that's not a bad story to sell potential replacements.

I think this will ultimately raise the level of play in FBS football. Guys who are misses will quickly be power flushed down to lower levels. Guys like Cam Ward will find themselves on P5 rosters. Off seasons will be even more wild.

I'm not a huge fan of these changes but I've made by peace with it. I think it makes it easier to win in Pullman with a coach like Dickert.
I suppose it could raise the level of play, although I doubt it’ll be across the board. More likely the distance between the top 20 and everyone else gets wider.

Bigger impact I see coming was next ruined by someone else earlier - no roster continuity. Decent players will get picked up by someone else. Coaches will have to recruit their own players every year, in addition to recruiting HS kids and transfers.

The days of “once a Coug, always a Coug” are over. It’s going to be “once a Coug…until someone paid better.”

That's the obvious incentive from the rule- dump your recruiting misses immediately. Don't bother with multiyear LOIs.

If they scrap the entire roster it will play havoc with the o line.

If they scrap the entire roster it will play havoc with the o line.
There’s always the intangible “team chemistry” too. You can land all the talent in the world, it doesn’t mean they’re going to play well together.

Reactions: 79COUG
ADVERTISEMENT