ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa on Big-10 expansion:

ttowncoug

Hall Of Fame
Sep 9, 2001
“I feel like when we added the two that we added, it made sense. It had a lot of momentum behind it,” Barta said Thursday. “I’ve not yet heard anything that would get me at Iowa — I’m just speaking for Iowa — excited to say, ‘Let’s continue to expand more.’ So, I don’t feel like it’s a hot button. But that’s one person’s opinion. I won’t speak for the conference.

“Whatever upside Iowa will receive from the new TV contract, I’m certainly not going to be interested in supporting additional expansion, if that means Iowa would get less. That’s just one criteria, but that’s an important one.”

Among the major discussion points, Wilson said, include invitationals and doubling up travel for more than one competition for when USC and UCLA head east. With the media rights deal now complete, the focus for the athletic directors switches to football schedule layout for 2023 and beyond. Among the scenarios discussed this week is an East-West status quo for one more season or a division-less structure that starts in 2023 with schedule alterations beginning in 2024 when UCLA and USC join the league.

Looks like UW and Oregon aren't getting invited to the party.

“I feel like when we added the two that we added, it made sense. It had a lot of momentum behind it,” Barta said Thursday. “I’ve not yet heard anything that would get me at Iowa — I’m just speaking for Iowa — excited to say, ‘Let’s continue to expand more.’ So, I don’t feel like it’s a hot button. But that’s one person’s opinion. I won’t speak for the conference.

“Whatever upside Iowa will receive from the new TV contract, I’m certainly not going to be interested in supporting additional expansion, if that means Iowa would get less. That’s just one criteria, but that’s an important one.”

Among the major discussion points, Wilson said, include invitationals and doubling up travel for more than one competition for when USC and UCLA head east. With the media rights deal now complete, the focus for the athletic directors switches to football schedule layout for 2023 and beyond. Among the scenarios discussed this week is an East-West status quo for one more season or a division-less structure that starts in 2023 with schedule alterations beginning in 2024 when UCLA and USC join the league.

ON the flipside, there was an article this morning claiming that UW met with the Big 10 yesterday, and that they're now looking to add UO, UW, Stanford, and Cal, plus Notre Dame...which would put them at a very strange 21 teams.

I think it was an Athlon article, but still sounds like a rehash of the rumors from early July.

UW can't legally be talking to the Big-10 while its in contract negotiations with the Pac-12. I take all that with a grain of salt.

I personally think these "meetings" and "leaks" are being done preemptively to appease their donors that they tried to get into the Big-10.

USC didn't "leak" anything. Neither did Texas or Oklahoma. It's smoke. Why? Not sure, but my theory is the above.

Reactions: KRUSTYtheCOUG
UW can't legally be talking to the Big-10 while its in contract negotiations with the Pac-12. I take all that with a grain of salt.

I personally think these "meetings" and "leaks" are being done preemptively to appease their donors that they tried to get into the Big-10.

USC didn't "leak" anything. Neither did Texas or Oklahoma. It's smoke. Why? Not sure, but my theory is the above.
Glass half full - Oregon and uw are flirting with the BIG to get a bigger check for the PAC out of ESPN.

Glass half full - Oregon and uw are flirting with the BIG to get a bigger check for the PAC out of ESPN.
Glass completely empty - I have zero confidence that either UO or UW would do anything to help the conference if they thought there was a way to help themselves.

And if they did, their fans would demand their heads.

UCLA may not be a done deal

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT