ADVERTISEMENT

Is this our starting d line up for 2015?

YakiCoug

Hall Of Fame
Jan 6, 2003
S- Shalom Luani
S - Darius Lemora/Jeff Farrar (cb)
CB - Treshon Broughton
CB - Daquawn Brown
OLB - Jeremiah Allison
MLB - Aaron Porter
OLB - Jonah Moi
Buck - Kache Palacio/Ivan McLennan
DE - Destiny Vaeao
NG - Ngalu Tapa
DE- Xavier Cooper

Linebackers are hard to say...there are a lot of talented guys coming up. Leniu, hoyd, Luvu, Paris taylor, then allison/pelleur and moi&porter seem to be strong candidates.
Charleston white seemed better than brown to me. And I really like the way pippins played in his appearances. Jeff farrar is supposed to be very good too.
What about Ekuale on the line? And isn't the juco d-end highly regarded?

Leach doesn't really seem to play any sort of favorite anywhere except QB.

Between these posts I like how the D is shaping up. Lots of options, competition, and depth. Should help the special teams quite a bit as well.

Hameed at safety will compete for a spot in the lineup. Fernandez seemed to get a lot of hype although the addition of Mitchell likely reduces his chances of getting in the 2-deeps.
This post was edited on 12/18 7:48 PM by SaveFerris

I think White beats out Broughton at CB.

I doubt Porter will pick up the D fast enough to start if he doesn't make it to spring ball. That is no comment on him as a player; he is as good a HS LB as I've seen, and I got to see him play in HS. But it is pretty hard to just show up for fall practice and start the first game. If he can get to spring ball, then it is possible. But if not, there is just too much ground to cover by the first game.

Moi will have a fight on his hands to get that spot, and the same applies regarding spring ball. I had not heard that he would be there before summer. If he is in spring ball, then he has a chance for the first game. If not, won't happen.

The rest look reasonable.

Originally posted by chugspig:
Linebackers are hard to say...there are a lot of talented guys coming up. Leniu, hoyd, Luvu, Paris taylor, then allison/pelleur and moi&porter seem to be strong candidates.
Charleston white seemed better than brown to me. And I really like the way pippins played in his appearances. Jeff farrar is supposed to be very good too.

You have to explain this to me. Two years ago he went back and forth between Tuel and Halliday. He didn't play any favorites. Also, unlike every other position, QB is the one you don't rotate. So, I am not sure where you are coming from. Please explain, thanks.

Simply posting a possible depth chart is better than we've seen in a long time. Again..... maybe a chance to redshirt and develop a couple db's and a linebacker who saw the field too early need development or who should get a shot at another position.

How big is Dotson now. And if can stay healthy where do you project him. Still only a RS soph. OLB?

Leniu, Hoyd, and Luvu all will play, as will Singleton at safety. And, yes, Mitchell, the JC d-end, looks like he's ready to rumble. This should be the year Ekuale and Barber make big in-roads on the d-line. It appears we'll have some quality depth.

This post was edited on 12/18 8:37 PM by YakiCoug

Originally posted by kougkurt:
How big is Dotson now. And if can stay healthy where do you project him. Still only a RS soph. OLB?
He did red shirt this year...right? I can't remember off the top of my head whether he played in a game or not.

Originally posted by cr8zyncalif:
Moi will have a fight on his hands to get that spot, and the same applies regarding spring ball. I had not heard that he would be there before summer. If he is in spring ball, then he has a chance for the first game. If not, won't happen.
Moi is a spring grad. Hopefully Porter is able to get his work done.

Sorry favoritism was a bad word to use. I just meant it's the only position that really isn't up for changes once he chooses a guy. I know he sis with tuel/halliday but that was a weird situation between a developed scrambler and young pocket passer. Essentially Im just saying every other position can have a senior starting one week and a walk on the next, sometimes without a noticable difference in production.
This post was edited on 12/18 8:53 PM by chugspig

Sorry favoritism was a bad word to use. I just meant it's the only position that really isn't up for changes once he chooses a guy. I know he sis with tuel/halliday but that was a weird situation between a developed scrambler and young pocket passer. Essentially Im just saying every other position can have a senior starting one week and a walk on the next, sometimes without a noticable difference in production.
This post was edited on 12/18 8:53 PM by chugspig
Ok, I understand. QB is the one position (for obvious reasons) that has more rope than any other when a decision is made. A QB can lose the job for prolonged poor play, but that is the exception.

We have seen players in and out of the lineup. Some of them were never to be seen again once they were out.

Originally posted by SaveFerris:
Originally posted by cr8zyncalif:
Moi is a spring grad. Hopefully Porter is able to get his work done.
Is Porter even an issue whether he will be in Pullman in the spring? He was a full qualifier out of high school, so he does not actually need his degree.

I know it's early, but with all these additions, and the young Leach recruits making headway, it just seems like we are finally getting some depth in all the areas that this team has lacked in the last 10 years.

The OL finally has good depth and experience. Our secondary depth is slowly getting to where it needs to be. Our DL depth is finally where it needs to be, and the same goes for our LB's.

This program was in such crummy shape for so long. We are finally getting some athleticism and depth across the whole roster.

I still think it will still take time, but we are moving in the right direction.

Originally posted by Coug1990:

Is Porter even an issue whether he will be in Pullman in the spring? He was a full qualifier out of high school, so he does not actually need his degree.
I don't understand it either 1990. I thought he enrolled at UCLA and was there for a semester or whatever but I have seen posts that he needs a class to be a December grad.

I don't understand it either 1990. I thought he enrolled at UCLA and was there for a semester or whatever but I have seen posts that he needs a class to be a December grad.
I guess we will find out in time. Does anybody remember if another former UCLA player and current WSU lineman Jacob Seydel had/needed his 2 year degree when he transferred to WSU?

I've heard from a source close to the program that they expect him to enroll in January.

Leach seems to have been in a two year malaise and yes he does seem to play his favorite at QB. I have renewed hope as both candidates appear to have the requisite skills for being able to run his offense which i watched at TT.

you should have watched Cougar games last year ElC, you would have seen the same offense Leach ran at Texas Tech.
Originally posted by ElComanche:
Leach seems to have been in a two year malaise and yes he does seem to play his favorite at QB. I have renewed hope as both candidates appear to have the requisite skills for being able to run his offense which i watched at TT.

We don't have a DC yet. We don't know what defense we will run, 3-4-4, 4-3-4, or 3-3-5. Will we one gap? Will the new DC favor speed? If so, we may move Luani to LB, keep Moi inside and move Cooper and Vaeao into a much needed DT rotation. Remember, Leach signed Mitchell for a reason. Call me old fashioned, I'd like to see if Farrar and Porter can actually play before starting them. Weren't people saying White is better than Brown? When the defense was as bad as it was last year, picking who will play, and where, is a lotto pick.

Could you explain this?

you don't remember all the "Halliday is a D-2 QB" rants?
Originally posted by Coug95man2:

Could you explain this?

Here are my two deeps for what it's worth and this includes if all LOI's show up and no one else leaves.

S- Luani (Taliulu)
S - Dotson (Hameed)
CB - Broughton (Farrar)
CB - Brown (Pippins)
OLB - Allison (Hoyd)
MLB - Leniue (Porter)
OLB - Moi (Luvu)
Buck - Palacio (Hansor and McLennan)
DE - Vaeao (Mitchell)
NG - Barber (Tapa)
DT- Cooper (Togi)...If Cooper jumps to the draft then I would put Paulo in here.

This would be if they do not switch to a 4-3

Players that should compete for playing time...Singleton, LaRue (unless he goes back to offense), Porter, Pellure, Pritchard, Fernandez, Paulo, Ekuale, Porter(CB), White.

I know the original poster had Lemoria as a possible starter but I just don't see it with him...I know he was a Freshman but he made so many basic mistakes...And I know Taliulu made a lot of mistakes too but he is a Senior who started most of three years so I see him as a valuable back-up.

QB - Falk (Bender)
TB - Morrow (Wicks)
OR - Ware (Williams)
OR - Marks (LaRue) If comes back to O otherwise Barteloni
IR - Craycraft (Baker)
IR - Lewis (Green)
T - Dahl (O'connell)
T - Madison (Seydel)
G - Eklund (Krepzs or Evers)
G - Middleton (McLain)
C - Sorenson (Flor)

Players that will compete for playing time...Harrington, Loftus, Thompson, Burnett,

Am I missing someone who should be in the two deeps. I guess there is always someone who jumps in there that we would not expect. Also with the better recruits we have coming in hopefully we will be better on special teams...Thoughts?

The JC Safety who flipped from osu should be on the field. playing experience over talent is what got Breske fired imo.

Re: Hercules

Oh yeah forgot about him. He's listed as a DE at 6' 2" 225 so he'll need to add some weight and if they go to a 4-3 that might even be better for a guy like this.

Two more in the mix possibly on D...Does Su'a get it figured out and make a contribution and Paris Taylor was actually a 2nd string LB during some of last year so I would assume he would be in the mix for playing time.

Originally posted by gcarlin1:
Two more in the mix possibly on D...Does Su'a get it figured out and make a contribution and Paris Taylor was actually a 2nd string LB during some of last year so I would assume he would be in the mix for playing time.
Chester Su'a was dismissed from the university a few months ago. If you're talking about Su'a-Kalio, he was also dismissed.

Originally posted by Britton Ransford:

Chester Su'a was dismissed from the university a few months ago. If you're talking about Su'a-Kalio, he was also dismissed.
Trying to remember, was it Su'a-Kalio that broke a teammates jaw in a fight? If so, was that the reason he was dismissed?

Originally posted by Britton Ransford:

Trying to remember, was it Su'a-Kalio that broke a teammates jaw in a fight? If so, was that the reason he was dismissed?
Yes, he was the one in the fight but I'm not sure that's why he left or was dismissed. It was sometime after that incident. It could very well be that he just left on his own, as well. I may have jumped the gun on the dismissal.

This post was edited on 12/19 5:31 PM by Britton Ransford

How fast is Paris Taylor? Wasn't he a safety in JC? Wouldn't hurt to have another big, fast safety. Or a hybrid LB/S.

Guess I am curious how people who haven't played a down would be projected as starters. Shouldn't we wait until they actually hit the field?

Originally posted by kougkurt:
We saw so little of Dotson in 2014, so it's difficult to say where he'll play. I always thought he'd end up at linebacker, judging from his frame in high school.

Originally posted by Geoduck12:
Guess I am curious how people who haven't played a down would be projected as starters. Shouldn't we wait until they actually hit the field?
they are all much better than the JR's and SR' that were starters in the beginning of the year AND better than the FR and SO's that replaced them, too.

May be presumptuous of me but I wonder if you have even seen these guys play, let alone play against PAC12 talents. Playing in HS and CC is different than the PAC12.

That said, I HOPE you're right. I HOPE they represent a significant upgrade on the field.

Luani was rated by some analysts as the best JC Safety in the country so if that's indeed the case he should have a great chance of starting.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT