ADVERTISEMENT

It will get better this year

cr8zyncalif

Hall Of Fame
Gold Member
Jan 21, 2005
I'm sorry, but the sky is not falling. ASU is probably the #2 in the South. We played them even at their field and ultimately we beat ourselves more than they beat us. The D was energized over their previous performances. A lot of kids were getting their first live fire at their new positions. They made mostly errors of commission, not errors of omission. Sure, there were screw ups, but they were made by people who were doing something. We will get better on D.

The special teams played well. Maybe the best punting exhibition in several years; it was a field position plus.

The O line for the most part provided good protection. That led to mostly good passing decisions. We got the ball into Borghi's hands more than I expected, but we need to increase that. There were some dumb penalties, but we've been worse in previous games.

Execution was still too uneven to beat a team that had equivalent (though different) strengths. In general, we have to execute (especially on offense) better than the other team if we are going to win. It seems to be inherent in the Air Raid. We were better than last week, and there is reason to think we will continue to improve...if for no other reason than execution is something that usually improves as the season progresses.

I see ASU as being better than Colorado, Stanford and OSU. I believe we would have beaten those three teams today. And while those teams may get better as the season progresses, I think we will definitely get better as the new D assignments are learned and become more automatic, and offensive execution improves.

This won't be a 9 win season, but it will get better.

Last edited:
agree, they bounced back from last 2 games, edged out in the last minute by #18 on the road. Not a bad effort at all. That UCLA loss is hard to swallow.

Colorado and OSU are games where Cougs will be favored to win. Nothing is sure but based on this weekends games you have to think the Cougs will pull those out.
OSU are blanked at home and the Buffs get 3 pts on the road.

Get that win next week and go from there.
Maybe Arcanado and Silvens will be back soon. Silvens would be helpful to the defensive depth.

I don’t disagree with your prediction that it will get better, but only marginally. ASU isn’t a good team. We were favored today and lost.

We’ll see if we can bounce back against Colorado at home in what looks like rainy weather.

Reactions: walzuu
The cougs should come close to a .500 season. Oregon will have their way as well as a couple of other teams.Oregon and udub may run up the score this year.

Last edited:
I don't agree that ASU is not a good team. They are in the top 20 for a reason. Maybe they aren't a great team, but certainly a good one and there isn't a lot of shame in losing to them in Tempe in a very close game.

A key for most Cougar teams over the years is the ability to generate turnovers, and this defense just isn't able to do that. Very few times will WSU win games without a positive turnover margin. They almost got one yesterday and it would have been a difference maker.

What happens the rest of the year? Who knows? This conference is very unpredictable this year and so it's always possible the Cougars will beat someone they aren't supposed to (UO, UW?) Right now, only Oregon and Utah look like excellent teams and the Ducks could easily lose next week at UW.

Glad Cougar

Reactions: PINGDUDE4
ASU is an OK team, but that’s all they are. As I posted in another thread, they scored more points and gained more yardage against us than they have against anyone all season, including Kent State and Sacramento St.

Their defense is decent, and we moved the ball pretty well, so that’s encouraging. We have a chance to beat Colorado next weekend, and we have to. If we do, we can perhaps go on to beat Cal, Oregon State and maybe even Stanford.

So this is the worst Cougar team in the last five years.
9-4
8-5
9-4
11-2
3-3 so far.
Overall still a very positive result.
Just as some have mentioned that the Cougs could have been 8-5 last year if a few things didn't go their way, they could be 5-1 this year. UCLA -last minute fumble cost the team a win and yesterday ASU got a break when an apparent turnover didn't go the Cougs was due to a toe touching the sideline and the ball at the same time. That could have been a game changer.
Point is that it's college football and stuff happens.
Right now the Cougs just need a win.
Focus on Colorado and have a home crowd help out the team.

So this is the worst Cougar team in the last five years.
9-4
8-5
9-4
11-2
3-3 so far.
Overall still a very positive result.
Just as some have mentioned that the Cougs could have been 8-5 last year if a few things didn't go their way, they could be 5-1 this year. UCLA -last minute fumble cost the team a win and yesterday ASU got a break when an apparent turnover didn't go the Cougs was due to a toe touching the sideline and the ball at the same time. That could have been a game changer.
Point is that it's college football and stuff happens.
Right now the Cougs just need a win.
Focus on Colorado and have a home crowd help out the team.

The source of frustration for a lot of people, myself included, is that we realize how thin the margin of error is for WSU. There are schools that can give away a win and still find victories on their schedules. WSU isnt that school. I cant begin to tell you how many wins Ive seen pissed away in the last 25 years. Im sure there are those that go back 50 years and have the same feeling.

This offense could be terrifying. It isnt. The RB is compared to Christian McCaffery. Why? CM had 3,000 yards in 2 seasons. MB had 63 yards yesterday. That’s comparable to a 2,000 yard back? Nope.

Games pissed away. Talent pissed away. Season being pissed away. Unacceptable. I dont think the staff grasps how thin the margin of error is here. Even in year 8.

The source of frustration for a lot of people, myself included, is that we realize how thin the margin of error is for WSU. There are schools that can give away a win and still find victories on their schedules. WSU isnt that school. I cant begin to tell you how many wins Ive seen pissed away in the last 25 years. Im sure there are those that go back 50 years and have the same feeling.

This offense could be terrifying. It isnt. The RB is compared to Christian McCaffery. Why? CM had 3,000 yards in 2 seasons. MB had 63 yards yesterday. That’s comparable to a 2,000 yard back? Nope.

Games pissed away. Talent pissed away. Season being pissed away. Unacceptable. I dont think the staff grasps how thin the margin of error is here. Even in year 8.

All very good points Biggs. I along with many of you question the mental toughness of this team. They folded against UCLA and Utah. They fought yesterday, but folded in key moments and couldn't find a way to win. The team now finds itself in a back against the wall/fight or flight scenario. Do the coaches and players have the will to win and the internal fortitude to rise up and finish strong?

We shall see.

All very good points Biggs. I along with many of you question the mental toughness of this team. They folded against UCLA and Utah. They fought yesterday, but folded in key moments and couldn't find a way to win. The team now finds itself in a back against the wall/fight or flight scenario. Do the coaches and players have the will to win and the internal fortitude to rise up and finish strong?

We shall see.

These kids need to learn to step up and make plays. Like Chuck Knox used to say "football players make football plays" - this team needs to have players step up and make plays at key times in the game, especially on defense.

One or two plays against UCLA and ASU and this team is 5 -1.

Reactions: jarvis1981
These kids need to learn to step up and make plays. Like Chuck Knox used to say "football players make football plays" - this team needs to have players step up and make plays at key times in the game, especially on defense.

I would argue a case for 6-0.

Are these kids being coached to reach their potential? Are they exceeding their potential? Or are they underachieving? Which is acceptable and which isnt? Is it just the kids sitting around their apartments talking about how great theyre gonna be? Or are the coaches doing the same?

Well coached.
Fit and strong.
All day tough.
Ultimate effort.

How many of the 4 did you see yesterday?

To me it’s an on field leadership problem. I don’t know any of these guys personally so I’m speculating and calling what I see after 40 years of watching football. In 90% of football games you have 3-4 plays every game that ultimately decide the game. The Minshews, pelleurs, Dale’s, Luvu’s, we’re making those plays. These guys aren’t. Offense goes dormant after admiring their hot start. Another D Lineman goes flying by the QB trying to make a big hit rather than breaking down and wrapping the guy up for what should have been a game changing safety. I can think of a dozen close games over the past few years where these plays were made. The talent is there (by WSU standards) they’ve showed it. Sure they have some weak spots particularly on defense, but this team should be 5-1 and in the thick of the North.

To me it’s an on field leadership problem. I don’t know any of these guys personally so I’m speculating and calling what I see after 40 years of watching football. In 90% of football games you have 3-4 plays every game that ultimately decide the game. The Minshews, pelleurs, Dale’s, Luvu’s, we’re making those plays. These guys aren’t. Offense goes dormant after admiring their hot start. Another D Lineman goes flying by the QB trying to make a big hit rather than breaking down and wrapping the guy up for what should have been a game changing safety. I can think of a dozen close games over the past few years where these plays were made. The talent is there (by WSU standards) they’ve showed it. Sure they have some weak spots particularly on defense, but this team should be 5-1 and in the thick of the North.

How many times have you seen guys miss in the backfield this year??? Over and over again. Huge, game course changing plays to be had and flubbed again and again.

How many times have you seen guys miss in the backfield this year??? Over and over again. Huge, game course changing plays to be had and flubbed again and again.
Also when it’s your upper classmen making these bonehead mistakes it’s almost beyond correction. Nambdi should be the one lighting up freshmen doing this stuff, and instead he’s the one doing it over and over...nobody on the field to call him out.

Also when it’s your upper classmen making these bonehead mistakes it’s almost beyond correction. Nambdi should be the one lighting up freshmen doing this stuff, and instead he’s the one doing it over and over...nobody on the field to call him out.

Too many guys that are backups or situational players are seeing too much playing time.

The offense has not made the big plays at crunch time. Last year Minshew made the big play when the pressure was on . Hell you seemingly cannot give the QB all the time in the world and yet see another incompletion.

Nambdi should have had a sack for a safety yesterday. He literally hit the QB in the endzone and bounced off him. It almost looked like Nambdi had his arms folded in front of him when he hit their freshman QB. That safety would have been huge, put us up 2 points with the ball coming back to us late in the 4th Quarter. SMFH!!!

agree 95%.

Id just add that I think the other part of that equation is that many of us had thought we had left those days of thin margin behind, and having reality bitch slap us upside the face sucks.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT