ADVERTISEMENT

It's July 1st, when is some clarity around this season going to happen?

What are the costs to prove they aren’t liable ?
Second what if they didn’t set up proper CDC guides and something happens to a kid .

What if a kid has an underlying condition that because of covid it takes him out .

Trust me, if these weren’t real concerns they would be like you and say “what liability, lets get going by Labor Day”

What is the cost of proving WSU isn’t liable for a student dying of meningitis? What is the cost of proving WSU is not liable for a student dying of a car accident traveling back and forth to Pullman? What is the cost of proving WSU is not liable for a student dying from suicide?

Herd immunity only works if the team you're playing has herd immunity too. If you have it and the team you’re playing doesn't.... you just gave it to an entire football program, staff and then those kids roll thru the student body.

If you are a parent of a player, what is the price you are willing to settle out of court for when your son dies of covid???

If you are a university, how much $ are you willing to pay out for dead kids???

Alabama has lots of $ and no shortage of talent so maybe they are willing to pay. Other schools not so much.

If games are played be ready for kids to get sick and some will die.... for $.

This is news to me. Are you saying of Clemson gets herd immunity in July they can still get others sick in September? My daughter has it now (very mild, thank god) and they are letting her out of quarantine in two weeks.

What are her symptoms?

Very mild.

Had a headache and sore throat for 2 days. Been symptom free for 5 days now. She was one of the stupid ones who partied at UW Greek row. We take the blame as parents, but she knew damn well what she was doing. So far, we have not caught it - keeping her in her bedroom!

Reactions: kougkurt
This is news to me. Are you saying of Clemson gets herd immunity in July they can still get others sick in September? My daughter has it now (very mild, thank god) and they are letting her out of quarantine in two weeks.

The experts don’t seem to know how long or even if the antibodies will stick around. Fauci was talking about a mutation recently.

Obviously, listen to her doctor, educate yourself, ask the doctor hard questions.

Reactions: billyjoecamaro
What are the costs to prove they aren’t liable ?
Second what if they didn’t set up proper CDC guides and something happens to a kid .

What if a kid has an underlying condition that because of covid it takes him out .

Trust me, if these weren’t real concerns they would be like you and say “what liability, lets get going by Labor Day”

I have a research project for you. Rather than standard CougEd imponderables, look at a real life scenario. Pullman was a hot spot for the 2009 swine flu pandemic. Zero football games were canceled. What liability did WSU face for not canceling games? What liability did WSU face for not shutting down the campus?

Reactions: ATACFD
The experts don’t seem to know how long or even if the antibodies will stick around. Fauci was talking about a mutation recently.

Obviously, listen to her doctor, educate yourself, ask the doctor hard questions.
The “new” mutation actually happened early in the year. Media has mentioned it a few times over the last couple months, but it didn’t gain much traction until Fauci mentioned it, and now the media is building frenzy over it again.

It’s been the dominant strain for months, so it’s not really a change in conditions.

This link is a study released in April, indicating that this mutation was first identified in early February. So, just like the coronavirus in general - it’s been here longer than anyone really knew. No need to panic.

https://www.biorxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.04.29.069054v1

I have a research project for you. Rather than standard CougEd imponderables, look at a real life scenario. Pullman was a hot spot for the 2009 swine flu pandemic. Zero football games were canceled. What liability did WSU face for not canceling games? What liability did WSU face for not shutting down the campus?
You can’t neglect the role perception plays. The government and media didn’t create and feed major nationwide response to swine flu. That creates a different response environment, and seriously impacts how the public (and potentially a jury) would view a case.
Also consider the fact that the entire concept of personal responsibility has been seriously eroded, even since 2009. Institutions are increasingly expected to be responsible for individuals, rather than individuals being responsible for themselves.
As an example, I’m sure someone will try to sue UW for “allowing” people to party at the frats, and the chapters themselves will almost certainly get sued.

Reactions: BleedCrimsonandGray
You can’t neglect the role perception plays. The government and media didn’t create and feed major nationwide response to swine flu. That creates a different response environment, and seriously impacts how the public (and potentially a jury) would view a case.
Also consider the fact that the entire concept of personal responsibility has been seriously eroded, even since 2009. Institutions are increasingly expected to be responsible for individuals, rather than individuals being responsible for themselves.
As an example, I’m sure someone will try to sue UW for “allowing” people to party at the frats, and the chapters themselves will almost certainly get sued.

Don’t help Ed. He needs to do his own work. And edit to add, 2009 was like the equivalent of last week for Ed. And if there is going to be speculation about how times have changed, why not speculate that the Washington legislature passes a bill providing state institutions with immunity from COVID related litigation. That’s at least as probable as Ed’s mindless meanderings.

Last edited:
I am looking at real life scenario . Where you Compare it to the swine flu, I don’t recall the cdc or the country ever being quarantined . So I know that is a small difference in the two life situations . Not meanderings ... they are already shutting stuff down for fall sports and school in general . I don’t recall in 2009 usc for example being not offering classes on campus. Now I certainly could have missed that blithers, but I don’t think I did . That could be the small difference .

And if they don’t find a vaccine for two years, it may be not just one season gets canceled but two .

Can you get it twice? Who knows a damn thing about the virus???

Can you get it twice? Who knows a damn thing about the virus???
Unfortunately, I don’t think anyone knows all that much about how this virus affects its hosts. And most Corona viruses are constantly mutating so what we think we know today may not be true in 6 months. On the good side, I would have to think that natural selection would favor mutations that are less deadly. When the virus kills its host, it dies too so doesn’t get as much chance to replicate. I could be wrong about that of course but it makes sense to me.

I am looking at real life scenario . Where you Compare it to the swine flu, I don’t recall the cdc or the country ever being quarantined . So I know that is a small difference in the two life situations . Not meanderings ... they are already shutting stuff down for fall sports and school in general . I don’t recall in 2009 usc for example being not offering classes on campus. Now I certainly could have missed that blithers, but I don’t think I did . That could be the small difference .

And if they don’t find a vaccine for two years, it may be not just one season gets canceled but two .

The 2009 swim flu was the last pandemic HistorianEd. It’s at your finger tips, but you’re choosing to blather on yet again.

Feel free to use car crashes, meningitis, suicide or anything else you’d like to analyze. Since that takes actual thought and a small amount of work, your track record indicates you won’t do anything.

And your two year shutdown means the Athletic Department is gone.

Reactions: earldacoug
The 2009 swim flu was the last pandemic HistorianEd. It’s at your finger tips, but you’re choosing to blather on yet again.

Feel free to use car crashes, meningitis, suicide or anything else you’d like to analyze. Since that takes actual thought and a small amount of work, your track record indicates you won’t do anything.

Two year shutdown means we’re in the first year of a Civil War.

Ah .Blithers thanks for the research . Seems just on the surface while called a pandemic , this one the cdc, the state and local governments have a different protocol than they did in 09. Maybe that is why Pete Carroll left usc because they shut down classes . Also I don’t remember in 09 the NBA and MLB canceling half their seasons . But I could have short term memory loss.

Ah .Blithers thanks for the research . Seems just on the surface while called a pandemic , this one the cdc, the state and local governments have a different protocol than they did in 09. Maybe that is why Pete Carroll left usc because they shut down classes . Also I don’t remember in 09 the NBA and MLB canceling half their seasons . But I could have short term memory loss.

So, you’re just refusing to think, work or analyze anything and just insisting there is some kind of massive liability based on, I guess, CNN?

Two year shutdown means we’re in the first year of a Civil War.
So, you’re just refusing to think, work or analyze anything and just insisting there is some kind of massive liability based on, I guess, CNN?

First I ask questions . I know that irritates you . Second, when has an attorney ever not filed a frivolous law suit . Third, if the health plus the liability was not a factor they would have already said September 10 is first game . Fourth, without a vaccine many people will stay home . Fear is a great motivator . Five, because we know more now than we did in February but probably don’t know everything we need to know,things are still up in the air. We saw all but Georgia who opened early taking a hit .

Also, while infections are up, deaths appear to be down which is a great thing. But schools are still analyzing risk to the kids and risk to the athlete.

A good friend of mine told me last night the vaccine is two years away . If it holds true then we are in more trouble in terms of athletics than originally thought.

A client of mine is a top urologist in the country . He is way smarter than I am regarding stuff like this said we aren’t near normal without a vaccine . And because of his medical background he unequivocally said the herd immunity will not work with this virus .

So I do listen to folks . I also ask questions and I also watch human behavior and decision making..

i do hope both people are wrong, that the herd mentality works and that the vaccine is forth coming by late this year .

Now I suppose I could trust what you blithering about , but not sure this is your field of expertise

Last edited:
First I ask questions . I know that irritates you . Second, when has an attorney ever not filed a frivolous law suit . Third, if the health plus the liability was not a factor they would have already said September 10 is first game . Fourth, without a vaccine many people will stay home . Fear is a great motivator . Five, because we know more now than we did in February but probably don’t know everything we need to know Things are still up in the air. We saw all but Georgia who opened early taking a hit .

Also, while infections are up, breaths appear to be down which is a great thing. But schools are still analyzing risk to the kids and risk to the aghlete.

A good friend of mine told me last night the vaccine is two years away . If it holds true then we are in more trouble in terms of athletics than originally thought.

A client of mine is a top urologist in the country . He is way smarter than I am regarding stuff like this said we aren’t near normal without a vaccine . And because of his medical background he Unequivocally said the herd mentality will not work with this virus .
So I do listen to folks . I also ask questions and I also watch human behavior and decision making .

i do hope both people are wrong, that the herd mentality works and that the vaccine is forth coming by late this year .

Now I suppose I could trust what you blithering about , but not sure this is your field of expertise

Attorneys filing frivolous lawsuits is not a basis the decision you’re advocating. And we have the patented CougEd response of referring to a friend. Cute.

Attorneys filing frivolous lawsuits is not a basis the decision you’re advocating. And we have the patented CougEd response of referring to a friend. Cute.

Ok you must prefer source . Sorry . My source has run trials through the FDA for close to 30 years . Might have a little more knowledge than you do.

Ok you must prefer source . Sorry . My source has run trials through the FDA for close to 30 years . Might have a little more knowledge than you do.

Wonderful. What happens to the Athletic Department if there are two years without football?

How do you reach that conclusion from that article?
The ongoing issues elite athletes are having after contracting Covid.
You are seeing professional athletes opt out of upcoming seasons for fear to themselves and family. If you are a 5 star recruit are you going to risk long term health issues while not thinking about future wages? Maybe. Maybe not.

The ongoing issues elite athletes are having after contracting Covid.
You are seeing professional athletes opt out of upcoming seasons for fear to themselves and family. If you are a 5 star recruit are you going to risk long term health issues while not thinking about future wages? Maybe. Maybe not.

That article highlighted people that were severely ill. Hospitalized, some on ventilators, etc. The vast majority of people that contract the virus do not fall into that category.

The five star recruit you refer to needs to play in order to get the NFL money. What leads you to believe that the long term health risks are greater from Covid than from concussions? I’m bringing up concussions because it seems clear the five star recruit has already accepted that risk. And there is far more data supporting the long term health problems relating to concussions.

Reactions: BleedCrimsonandGray
That article highlighted people that were severely ill. Hospitalized, some on ventilators, etc. The vast majority of people that contract the virus do not fall into that category.

The five star recruit you refer to needs to play in order to get the NFL money. What leads you to believe that the long term health risks are greater from Covid than from concussions? I’m bringing up concussions because it seems clear the five star recruit has already accepted that risk. And there is far more data supporting the long term health problems relating to concussions.
For one. Concussions are an inherent risk in football. Covid is not.
I believe that is the point of this entire thread.

Covid appears to be an inherent risk of living on planet earth today. Regardless of whether one plays football or not.
Hells yeah - load them up on some hydroxychloroquine, zinc, eye of newt, and toadstool and run their asses out on that field and charge right into the great unknown! They’re young! Why should we be concerned about what we don’t understand anyways? If they get sick that’s just Mother Nature’s natural selection at work - I need me some damn football! Now!

Hells yeah - load them up on some hydroxychloroquine, zinc, eye of newt, and toadstool and run their asses out on that field and charge right into the great unknown! They’re young! Why should we be concerned about what we don’t understand anyways? If they get sick that’s just Mother Nature’s natural selection at work - I need me some damn football! Now!

Your username implies your level of maturity.

It doesn't help that the medical field is basically flailing with this thing because it's not a run-of-the-mill respiratory illness. Not only is it knocking some people on their butt for months, but it comes at different systems with different symptoms. I ran across a Medium post that had an interesting hypothesis, and then when you get to the end, you get this:

Update: The New England Journal of Medicine paper investigating the effect of statins and ACE inhibitors on Covid-19 mortality rates has been retracted because of concerns over the quality of the data.

Here's the actual article, if you're curious:

https://elemental.medium.com/corona...isease-which-explains-everything-2c4032481ab2
Very interesting. Again linking important articles.

Oh....its either or? A binary choice?

D Blitherson....I can think of many other possibilities with my comments.

So what are they?

And edit to add, you’re avoiding to answer what happens to the Athletic Department if there are two years without football.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT