ADVERTISEMENT

Jalen Hurts - yes or no?

I would give him a shot if he came......but I wouldn't go beg him to come here. It was very interesting to me to hear Saban basically say, "He should leave". Someone made the comment in the other thread that Cooper probably won't be ready because he hasn't been exposed to the Air Raid enough. If a year and a half isn't enough, how in the heck could Hurts be ready in a few months?

Having Minshew this season showed how much more the offense could flourish with a QB who can extend plays. Seeing Minshew escape and make something out of nothing at times was such a far cry from Falk holding the ball and taking a sack.

To what degree Cooper is mobile I'm not certain. But for this reason alone, Hurts is intriguing.

Yes. For his ability to run the ball and attack the defense where no WSU offense has attacked under Leach. Between the tackles.

Reactions: CougSinceBirth
Jalen’s throwing stats are much better than Eason’s, in fact light years better. He has a 62% completion percentage with an 8.5 yard per catch average. Shorten up his passes to 7 yards per catch and you have your 70% completion percentage. He also has 45 thrown TD’s to 12 int’s. That’s solid. Not to mention his running ability. Yes, we take him if he’s willing to come.

Reactions: acgcoug
Jalen’s throwing stats are much better than Eason’s, in fact light years better. He has a 62% completion percentage with an 8.5 yard per catch average. Shorten up his passes to 7 yards per catch and you have your 70% completion percentage. He also has 45 thrown TD’s to 12 int’s. That’s solid. Not to mention his running ability. Yes, we take him if he’s willing to come.

Correct again on the internet. Two in a row. Keep it going.

Reactions: acgcoug and taf88
If he wants to come to WSU, I would welcome him with open arms as would the coaching staff. Jalen Hurts could go to many high profile programs and start next year, if he picked WSU, I think it would do wonders for the program.
However I don't think he is coming to Pullman.

Yes. For his ability to run the ball and attack the defense where no WSU offense has attacked under Leach. Between the tackles.

What about his ability to read coverage and go through a progression? He's RPO and deep shots. Not short and intermediate passing.

Reactions: WASH ST A&M FAN
Not sure Cooper is ready. Then it becomes a battle between Tinsley and Gordon with most people believing Tinsley has the inside track. At quick glance, passing up a former SEC Offensive POY for a guy who walked on at WSU would seem to be an opportunity lost. With some intensive tutoring by Leach, I don't see why Hurts couldn't be a great passer to go along with his unbelievable talent as a running QB. It's enough to make Jimmy Lake soil his britches.

Glad Cougar

Reactions: BiggsCoug
I say take him..... Give the younger guys behind him time to see the field more and adjust to football at this level. Hurts has gone up against some of the best defenses in the nation and took em down with ease. He can make the throws, I say give him a shot if he wants to come.

Hell yes. He was better then Minshew at every step of his career, and I saw that with total respect to minshew. Hurts is an elite athlete too. It’d be like getting a Khalil Tate whos a mild amount less dynamic.

It’s worth a scholarship for us. I don’t think it would work since he hasn’t run this type of an offense. Would be fun to see him truck DBs though and make other coaches think twice about throwing 7 guys on the field that are 180 lbs

Wherever Hurts lands is instant media darling. Free exposure. Tons of it. If he were to go to a school that isnt a blue blooded program he gives it instant credibility. Living rooms that school has never been in are now open.

Exactly, you stack that on top of the Minshew and Alabama story and the momentum of that keeps going with Hurts. Instant media exposure.

What about his ability to read coverage and go through a progression? He's RPO and deep shots. Not short and intermediate passing.

Plus our stubborn SOB coach is NOT going to modify his offense just because a QB has other skills (like running). This whole grad transfer/Hurts/whatever thing is kind of dumb IMHO. Hurts ain't leaving the South to come to Pullman. CML isn't looking for a second lightning strike grad transfer. He'll go with his 5th year senior and light it up just like he did multiple times at TT. Or Cooper will step in. A year ago Cooper was the bomb. Now everyone thinks Cruz is the bomb. Oh now another transfer is the bomb.

If you struggle to throw the football & being accurate, Leach has zero time for you.
You guys are both right. There’s a reasonable doubt that Hurts may struggle in the Air Raid. But there’s no doubt he’s a beast with the ball in his hands as a runner.

We’re talking about a guy who lost his job due to the fact he struggled to throw the football at Alabama.

Plus our stubborn SOB coach is NOT going to modify his offense just because a QB has other skills (like running). This whole grad transfer/Hurts/whatever thing is kind of dumb IMHO. Hurts ain't leaving the South to come to Pullman. CML isn't looking for a second lightning strike grad transfer. He'll go with his 5th year senior and light it up just like he did multiple times at TT. Or Cooper will step in. A year ago Cooper was the bomb. Now everyone thinks Cruz is the bomb. Oh now another transfer is the bomb.
1) Minshew had the ability to come in quietly and know he needed to truly earn the right to compete for the starting job. Hurts may be very humble. I know it's been a trying year for him. But with all the options in front of him, I don't think he could come in without any sense of entitlement like Minshew did.

2) Imagine how hard it will be to recruit premium quarterbacks if they see that they could put in 3 or 4 years with us, only to be edged out of their last hope of starting by a grad transfer...since we seem to have made that a habit.

3) Leach said any of the three could work well at the beginning of this year. Sure, definitely Coachspeak, but even if that were not true, Tinsley and Gordon had to have learned a TON from watching the Minshew Magic.

4) Yeah, lots of media attention about this, but unless things are hitting on all cylinders media attention can quickly become a problem. This year we got an insane amount of press, all of it "good" or at least empathetically humane. Don't know that Hurts is done bringing drama into his headlines. Not saying he means to, but he carries that vibe. I hate that kind of drama.

And this guy could run Leach’s Air Raid?

Hurts threw for more than 200yds only twice last year 2017-18 Season in 15 games.

Vs Colorado St 248 yds
Vs Mississippi St 242 yds

In Hurts’ 4 College Football Playoff Games he started, his passing numbers were:

Vs UW 57 yds
Vs Clemson 131 yds

Vs Clemson 120 yds
Vs Georgia 20 yds

I'm not a fan of the Hurts concept. Just not. I'm with most that say, he isn't Air Raid materiel. But a concept that is getting past all of you is this... 2 QB's.

And I'm not even sure I like the idea. But Tinsley starts 1 game. To throw some wrinkle in, Hurts comes in. Next game Hurts starts, Tinsley takes the majority of hikes. Etc.

Why Hurts would want to come to WSU for that, I don't know. But for argument's sake, that would be the middle ground between the 2 stances here.

I dont think he’s as bad as you make him out to be. Conference player of the year in the SEC and all.

We’re talking about Jalen Hurts. Not CougEd playing qb.

I think you meant "run of the mill Alabama QB". There's no way to know if Jalen would actually be any good as a quarterback in the Air Raid. Based on what I saw from his first two years, he looked like a guy that would be a terrible fit for the Air Raid and would be nothing more than a distraction. His play in the game against Georgia this year was phenomenal and that's the only thing that keeps me from dismissing him immediately.

I still think it's hilarious that people say that Cooper, who will have been at WSU for 3 full semesters isn't ready to run the Air Raid, but we'd be just fine bringing in some guy that's never taken a single snap in the offense and hand it to him after three months. If Trevor Lawrence can win a national championship as a true freshman, it might be possible that Cooper can handle the job as a redshirt freshman. Tinsley and Gordon will be able to run the offense too.

I understand the interest in Jalen's athleticism, but putting up "OK" numbers at Alabama isn't an impressive feat. Any decent QB is going to look good at Alabama. If y'all are really wanting to see a QB who runs for 500 yards.....you are rooting for the wrong football team.

There's a price to pay for attracting another experienced grad transfer- -if one lives and dies by it, it's ultimately going to affect recruiting and QB depth. If that becomes the model, prospective high school prospects will look elsewhere for opportunities. There are always rewards and consequences for choices. Always. Going the Vernon Adams route can begat Dakota Prokoff. There's no guarantee it's going to work. An occasional hit off the grad transfer QB crack pipe might be a unmatched high. But that is highly addictive and leads to losing all one's teeth.

I'm more of a fan of cherishing the lightning in a bottle that was Gardner Minshew. Nothing more. There was not a more compelling story than WSU's 2018 year - beginning with Leach's supposed offer from Tennessee, to the tragedy of #3, a 4th generation Coug granted a 6th year of eligibility, the subsequent grief and recovery, the arrival of a much traveled QB, Minshew Mania, Gameday, 11 wins, national coach of the year.

It truly needs to be made into a movie.

And this guy could run Leach’s Air Raid?

Hurts threw for more than 200yds only twice last year 2017-18 Season in 15 games.

Vs Colorado St 248 yds
Vs Mississippi St 242 yds

In Hurts’ 4 College Football Playoff Games he started, his passing numbers were:

Vs UW 57 yds
Vs Clemson 131 yds

Vs Clemson 120 yds
Vs Georgia 20 yds

Mike Leach is the best QB coach in all of football. Be honest, was he coached worth a shit at Alabama?

I think he has an intriguing skill set. I think he has a big upside. If he came and couldnt win the starting job fair enough. If he came and won it outright it could be another big year.

WSU does not have such a wealth of winning and bowl games in its history to be passing on the SEC player of the year. Regardless of position.

As for living and dying by the grad transfer, I think the best talent in the group is young. Prob so young that theyre not really ready to step on the field. Also, Leach has an obligation to the university and its finanical commitment to the program to sign the best talent that can help him win games. Lets be real, there is no blue blooded program that worries about kids on the roster getting beat out. They try and get the most talent they can and the kids compete for playing time. Protecting kids by denying your roster talent and passing out starting jobs because someone has been there the longest is the fastest way back to losing.

If Mike Leach wants to bring Hurts to WSU and Hurts wants to come, I'm guessing nearly all of us fans will be excited and supportive. At least, we should be.

I seriously doubt it's going to happen, but I don't understand the sentiment of "we don't want him, we already have a 3-year redshirt senior former walkon who knows this offense really well" when it comes to Jalen Hurts in a Cougar uniform.

Glad Cougar

Reactions: BiggsCoug
Mike Leach is the best QB coach in all of football. Be honest, was he coached worth a shit at Alabama?

I think he has an intriguing skill set. I think he has a big upside. If he came and couldnt win the starting job fair enough. If he came and won it outright it could be another big year.

WSU does not have such a wealth of winning and bowl games in its history to be passing on the SEC player of the year. Regardless of position.

As for living and dying by the grad transfer, I think the best talent in the group is young. Prob so young that theyre not really ready to step on the field. Also, Leach has an obligation to the university and its finanical commitment to the program to sign the best talent that can help him win games. Lets be real, there is no blue blooded program that worries about kids on the roster getting beat out. They try and get the most talent they can and the kids compete for playing time. Protecting kids by denying your roster talent and passing out starting jobs because someone has been there the longest is the fastest way back to losing.

I still think that you are putting too much emphasis on him being SEC player of the year. In 8 out of the past 9 years, the SEC offensive player of the year was from either Auburn or Alabama. That award is basically the Heisman of the SEC.....they give it to the best player on one of the top teams regardless of the merit of players on other teams. I don't care that he was SEC player of the year in 2016. When you look at his passing stats that year.....they were mediocre. His Passer Rating was 139.1 and he won the award. Psssssst.....don't tell anyone, but he got the award because Alabama went undefeated in the regular season and Jalen Hurts is a good running back playing QB. You may not have heard....but he sucked in the National Championship game that year and arguably cost his team the game. His dominant performance in the CFP first round game against UW in 2016 featured 57 yards on 14 pass attempts. That right there is dominance.

Yeah......he sounds like the perfect Air Raid QB. If Leach wants him at WSU, I would embrace the guy if he came, but personally, I'll be surprised if Leach gives the guy a serious look.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT