ADVERTISEMENT

Jalen Hurts - yes or no?

I watched him play many times.

One read guy, His Accuracy Isn’t Good & not willing to actually throw the football was his biggest issues.

All the reason he was benched and not an Air Raid QB.

In Saban’s career, has he ever coached up a quality QB? His success is running, power football.

Reactions: BiggsCoug
Minshew got benched at east carolina, if hurts wants to come take him. tinsley and gordon are not the answer, if they were there would have been no minshew
This is probably the most logical statement here. A direct comparison to someone we just took and blew the doors off the competition. If Hurts wants to come, you take him.

Reactions: acgcoug
This is probably the most logical statement here. A direct comparison to someone we just took and blew the doors off the competition. If Hurts wants to come AND LEACH IS INTERESTED, you take him.

You guys keep forgetting that Leach may not really want to bring the guy in. For all the potential for greatness......the guy could end up being a tremendous distraction and problem just as easily. What if it turns out that he isn't effective getting past his 2nd read and forces balls in practice? People end up all pissed off if we bring in this "superstar" and let some wannabe like Tinsley, Gordon or Cooper start in front of him. Guys like Cruz in the next class start to wonder if they should pick Wazzu because we are now a school that prioritizes the next hot transfer over guys that have spent years in the system.

I don't think you ignore Hurts if there is interest, but if I were Leach, I'd think long and hard before I brought him in. Minshew was an Air Raid QB playing in a different offense and suffered as a result. He blossomed at WSU because he was comfortable with the offense. Nothing suggests that Hurts is an Air Raid QB. Comparing Hurts and Minshew is not any kind of relevant comparison besides the fact that they play QB. Their playing style and background are completely different. I'm not saying that we don't want Hurts......I'm saying that it isn't as easy as saying, "THE DUDE'S A STUD!" and suddenly he's the right guy for our system.

Reactions: GrayOnGray
Mike Leach is the best QB coach in all of football. Be honest, was he coached worth a shit at Alabama?

I think he has an intriguing skill set. I think he has a big upside. If he came and couldnt win the starting job fair enough. If he came and won it outright it could be another big year.

WSU does not have such a wealth of winning and bowl games in its history to be passing on the SEC player of the year. Regardless of position.

As for living and dying by the grad transfer, I think the best talent in the group is young. Prob so young that theyre not really ready to step on the field. Also, Leach has an obligation to the university and its finanical commitment to the program to sign the best talent that can help him win games. Lets be real, there is no blue blooded program that worries about kids on the roster getting beat out. They try and get the most talent they can and the kids compete for playing time. Protecting kids by denying your roster talent and passing out starting jobs because someone has been there the longest is the fastest way back to losing.
Yes, when coaches settle for not hurting feelings in regards to bringing all the possible talent they can....everyone's feelings get hurt by not winning as much as possible. You can see in the fanbase those who wish that Bledsoe would be starting next year. No diss on Bledsoe...but him and the rest of the QB's are being evaluated by someone who sees Mayfield, Book or Gardner on film and say's "that's my man" when others may be thinking "really?"

Reactions: PINGDUDE4
Unless Leach says he wants Hurts, Im going to conclude this is a stupid idea (Leach bringing Hurts in would be a vote of confidence in Jalen's ability to throw it 40 times a game). Leach isn't going to force 10 other starters to learn a new offense so we can bring in THE SEC PLAYER OF THE YEAR!!1!. Leach values 11 players being able to execute better than the 11 across the field from them. Good strategy considering we won't be the more talented team most weeks.

Reactions: Cougatron
I don't think anyone is saying WSU should take Hurts if Leach doesn't want him. It should be implied that the only way Hurts comes to Pullman is because both he and the coach want it to happen. And if that's the case, who's to say that he wouldn't be able to develop his passing game under Leach's tutelage and become a much more dynamic and effective QB than what's on the roster right now?

He's probably going to a school like TCU anyway, so this discussion is seemingly moot.

Glad Cougar

Reactions: CougInSpain
One of the many benefits of having coach Leach is that we don't need to worry about this aspect of roster management. He knows the current roster and how a prospective transfer would fit in. I trust his judgment completely.

Reactions: 79COUG
If Hurts comes to WSU, it means that Leach thinks he can excel in his system. I trust Leach. I would also not be surprised to see the Chipster go after him.

I don't buy all this hand wringing about scaring off future HS QB recruits. My answer would be simple: "You will get a fair chance to compete for the starting job. If you are scared about competing and learning against the very best, then don't come." If Hurts does come, it actually gives us even more credibility. It's a place where name QB's want to go.

If Hurts comes to WSU, it means that Leach thinks he can excel in his system. I trust Leach. I would also not be surprised to see the Chipster go after him.

I don't buy all this hand wringing about scaring off future HS QB recruits. My answer would be simple: "You will get a fair chance to compete for the starting job. If you are scared about competing and learning against the very best, then don't come." If Hurts does come, it actually gives us even more credibility. It's a place where name QB's want to go.
Our program is now more mature than that . There was a time when Price had to succumb to Leafs demands but Leach has a plug and play system . If say a four star recruit doesn’t want to work as hard as walkon leach has shown he will start the walkon. Prove you are the best by competing. How well did it work out for Bruggman or a guy like Jake Heaps who shied away from competition ?

It sounds like there is mutual interest between Hurts and Miami and I think that would be a good landing spot for him. I think we will do more then fine with the QBs we have and I am looking forward to the QB competition this spring and summer.

Schulz helps Leach with the depth chart?
Do you think Schultz would say something that would be contradicted by CML? Or do you think maybe there is communication?

No Schultz doesn't help with the depth chart. But he MIGHT talk to him. If Hurts was wanted by our program, do you think CML would want anything said by anyone? Probably not. So I'm ascertaining that there might be some sort of communication. That's all.

Could it be that Schultz is speaking out of turn? Sure. But just as likely not.

Do you think Schultz would say something that would be contradicted by CML? Or do you think maybe there is communication?

No Schultz doesn't help with the depth chart. But he MIGHT talk to him. If Hurts was wanted by our program, do you think CML would want anything said by anyone? Probably not. So I'm ascertaining that there might be some sort of communication. That's all.

Could it be that Schultz is speaking out of turn? Sure. But just as likely not.

I think it's foolish to try and make too much of Schulz's comments. If anything, it's probably his way of saying, "Hey.....we love you!" to our current QB's as a morale boost to them. It's gotta be depressing as hell to have over half your fanbase saying that you are a worthless scrub and they hope we can find someone to come in and play ahead of them.

All the platitudes about "competition is good" is just another way to say that loyalty means nothing to you. I agree that Leach should absolutely bring in another transfer if he doesn't feel confident in the guys he's got, but it's total bullsh!t to tell a guy that he's going to get a shot and then make it an annual exercise to ensure that he never gets it. This sudden infatuation with graduate transfers is not a good thing when it comes to building a program.

Reactions: WASH ST A&M FAN
I think it's foolish to try and make too much of Schulz's comments. If anything, it's probably his way of saying, "Hey.....we love you!" to our current QB's as a morale boost to them. It's gotta be depressing as hell to have over half your fanbase saying that you are a worthless scrub and they hope we can find someone to come in and play ahead of them.

All the platitudes about "competition is good" is just another way to say that loyalty means nothing to you. I agree that Leach should absolutely bring in another transfer if he doesn't feel confident in the guys he's got, but it's total bullsh!t to tell a guy that he's going to get a shot and then make it an annual exercise to ensure that he never gets it. This sudden infatuation with graduate transfers is not a good thing when it comes to building a program.
I've never heard any of our fanbase calling our QB's worthless scrubs, let alone over half? Where are you coming up with that?

I've never heard any of our fanbase calling our QB's worthless scrubs, let alone over half? Where are you coming up with that?

Salivating over a guy who is a proven blow average passer, like clickbait.com, tardcenter, and the tardcenter hour are doing, sort of implies zero confidence in your current QB's.

Reactions: earldacoug

Infatuation?
Half the fanbase is saying Tinsley/Gordon/Cooper are worthless scrubs?
You have quite an imagination.

If you don't want Hurts or another grad transfer on the roster, that's fine and understandable. But you don't have to make stuff up ("....over half of the fan base say you are worthless scrub) to make an effective argument. Stick to reality, not hyperbole.

Glad Cougar

If you don't want Hurts or another grad transfer on the roster, that's fine and understandable. But you don't have to make stuff up ("....over half of the fan base say you are worthless scrub) to make an effective argument. Stick to reality, not hyperbole.

Glad Cougar

If Flat or anyone else questioning taking in a grad-transfer QB wishes to say Minshew's personality and the post-Hilinski situation unusually lent itself to a wide acceptance of a newcomer, fine. As has been pointed out in another post, Tinsley, Gordon, Cooper, Neville, and Bledsoe did not expect to be the starter last year or this year (Hilinski's last two years of eligibility), so competition from a grad transfer or even from an upstart frosh/Cruz was always a possibility. Now, if Flat wishes to say Tinsley and Gordon have a "right" to succeed Minshew, maybe that's OK, too. But that would be ignoring the reality of Leach's world. Tinsley and Gordon might be excellent replacements, but if they can't outshine Gubrud or another grad transfer during practices, that's just football. It has nothing to do with infatuations or current QBs being scrubs (which absolutely NO ONE is saying).

Reactions: ATACFD and kougkurt

Glad Cougar

Whatever. Read through this thread and it's obvious that many of you are convinced that we don't have a QB that you trust. Sh!t, every time every scrub ass QB from BFE State puts his name in the transfer portal, it feels like some WSU fan starts following them on Twitter. You can play word games all you want, but if you don't think that Gordon and Tinsley are scrubs, why are so many fans so damned set on getting a transfer QB? Again, the "competition is good" BS is just that. If competition is so damned good, shouldn't we be trying to find a grad transfer at every spot?

Whatever. Read through this thread and it's obvious that many of you are convinced that we don't have a QB that you trust. Sh!t, every time every scrub ass QB from BFE State puts his name in the transfer portal, it feels like some WSU fan starts following them on Twitter. You can play word games all you want, but if you don't think that Gordon and Tinsley are scrubs, why are so many fans so damned set on getting a transfer QB? Again, the "competition is good" BS is just that. If competition is so damned good, shouldn't we be trying to find a grad transfer at every spot?

Your rebuttal fizzled when you began with "whatever." You'd make a great Valley girl, but not much of a debater.

Price turned down Drew Brees over loyalty to Steve Birnbaum, how did that work out?

You guys keep forgetting that Leach may not really want to bring the guy in. For all the potential for greatness......the guy could end up being a tremendous distraction and problem just as easily. What if it turns out that he isn't effective getting past his 2nd read and forces balls in practice? People end up all pissed off if we bring in this "superstar" and let some wannabe like Tinsley, Gordon or Cooper start in front of him. Guys like Cruz in the next class start to wonder if they should pick Wazzu because we are now a school that prioritizes the next hot transfer over guys that have spent years in the system.

I don't think you ignore Hurts if there is interest, but if I were Leach, I'd think long and hard before I brought him in. Minshew was an Air Raid QB playing in a different offense and suffered as a result. He blossomed at WSU because he was comfortable with the offense. Nothing suggests that Hurts is an Air Raid QB. Comparing Hurts and Minshew is not any kind of relevant comparison besides the fact that they play QB. Their playing style and background are completely different. I'm not saying that we don't want Hurts......I'm saying that it isn't as easy as saying, "THE DUDE'S A STUD!" and suddenly he's the right guy for our system.

I'm fairly certain Leach isn't the Tweet master. Probably Dave Emerick is my guess.

The Cougs following Hurts creates buzz. Buzz creates the perception of opportunity. More mentions of WSU/Air Raid, more other grad QBs take notice. More competition for the spot is good - now you've got Gubrud, the kid from Buffalo, Hurt, et.al. appearing to be sympatico with WSU/Air Raid.

There's one and only one seat open in the "who wants to lead the nation in passing" game of musical chairs. Somebody is going to sit down first.

Reactions: acgcoug
Price turned down Drew Brees over loyalty to Steve Birnbaum, how did that work out?

Really? Price failing to realize that Drew Brees (6' tall Drew Brees) was going to end up being a stud is your argument for going after every grad transfer who announces their intent? Failing in your evaluation of a QB is totally different than just grabbing every QB who might want to come your way.

Really? Price failing to realize that Drew Brees (6' tall Drew Brees) was going to end up being a stud is your argument for going after every grad transfer who announces their intent? Failing in your evaluation of a QB is totally different than just grabbing every QB who might want to come your way.

Birnie came in at a legit 6'5", maybe 6'6". He's barely 6'3" now. Spinal compression. Craig Ehlo has the same thing.

Brees would have been 5'7" with that offensive line. Steve took a brutal beating that year.

I never said to go after every grad transfer, stop making things up. you posted about loyalty and I gave an example of misguided loyalty

So some folks on an internet board intrigued by a big name QB hypothetically coming to WSU somehow equates to over half our fan base referring to our current QB roster as “worthless scrubs”? A bit of hyperbole, don’t you think?

Reactions: taf88
I never said to go after every grad transfer, stop making things up. you posted about loyalty and I gave an example of misguided loyalty

You mean to tell me Price turned away Brees, but signed Mencke, despite having Brees higher on his board because he didn't want to hurt Birnbaum's feelings? At a time when Birnbaum's was just a backup? I'll need someone to go on record before I believe that was how it went down.

I can believe thinking Mencke was better than Brees, or even a better fit. Brees was lightly recruited, from Texas, and a pretty good baseball player. Lots of reasons for teams to pass on him. I don't think I've ever heard of a college team not getting a player because he might be better than a guy who is redshirting. Sounds like a urban legend to me.

You're making an apples and oranges comparison. In the fall of 1996, when Brees would have been recruited, Mencke and Birnbaum were young guys (freshman and redshirt freshman respectively) playing behind arguably the greatest sophomore QB in WSU history but on a team that was struggling. As a result, Birnbaum only threw 20 passes in the entire 1996 season. There was no way to know in that season what was going to happen in 1998. As mentioned above, Birnbaum was a big, strong kid in 1996 who looked like he had a bright future. Here's a listing of the QB's that Price had on his roster from 1996 to 1998:

1995 - Ryan Leaf - 6' 5"
1995 - Steven Birnbaum - 6' 5"
1996 - Paul Mencke - 6' 5"
1997 - Dave Muir - 6' 5" (transfer or walkon?)
1998 JC transfer Bryan Paul - 6' 3"

Drew Brees was 6' 0". Yeah, Price screwed up when he didn't offer him, but it's pretty obvious that Mike was infatuated with tall, pro style QB's at the time and wasn't going to give a runt like Brees the time of day. At the time he would have been recruiting Brees, there was nothing to suggest that he should assume that Leaf wouldn't be there in 1998 and that Birnbaum and Mencke would both have an extra year to get ready. Given the number of young guys on the roster, it's no surprise at all that Price passed on Brees.

Compare that with today's situation where we have a pair of seniors on the roster that "need the competition". FWIW, I get the concern that everyone has with Tinsley and Gordon and I wish that I felt more confident in them. I get the desire to find an extra body, but y'all are just lying to yourselves about the situation when you say that this situation is anything like recruiting Brees in the fall of 1996.

So some folks on an internet board intrigued by a big name QB hypothetically coming to WSU somehow equates to over half our fan base referring to our current QB roster as “worthless scrubs”? A bit of hyperbole, don’t you think?

Of course, I'm using hyperbole, but it doesn't change the fact that people obviously don't feel like Tinsley or Gordon can be trusted or there wouldn't be a hard on for every QB that punches his name in the portal. And it ain't some folks......sh!t is rampant everywhere right now. Folks get one good hit of the QB grad transfer crack and they can't wait until they get another one.

EDIT: What's funny about this discussion is that when Vernon Adams went to Oregon, the same people begging for a grad transfer QB now were laughing at Oregon for needing to go after him.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT