ADVERTISEMENT

James Williams declared

dgibbons

Hall Of Fame
Gold Member
Dec 24, 2002
Not a surprise. However, I was surprised he’s two semesters away from his degree.

I don’t think he would significantly improve his draft stock by staying. He might end up as a slot receiver.

Disappointing from a fan's viewpoint but I wish him well and hope he sticks in the NFL. And finishes his degree.

So now who plays alongside Borghi?

Not a surprise. However, I was surprised he’s two semesters away from his degree.

I don’t think he would significantly improve his draft stock by staying. He might end up as a slot receiver.

I guess I have to agree with improving his draft stock. He is a day three guy either way.

Disappointing from a fan's viewpoint but I wish him well and hope he sticks in the NFL. And finishes his degree.

So now who plays alongside Borghi?

Maybe the Cougs are still after that USC verbal.

Gotta be honest, I didn’t see that coming.

As little as our offense uses RBs in a traditional way, it doesn’t seem like there’s going to be a lot of attention coming his way. His career rushing stats look like a decent season for some of his contemporaries. At least nobody can knock his hands like they did Jerome Harrison.

I do understand from his perspective though...with a fiancée at home, a stepchild, and a baby on the way, there’s a clear need for a paycheck. And it’s not looking like a real deep year for RBs (or much of anything, really) in the draft, so maybe this give his best chance to cash in.

Gotta be honest, I didn’t see that coming.

As little as our offense uses RBs in a traditional way, it doesn’t seem like there’s going to be a lot of attention coming his way. His career rushing stats look like a decent season for some of his contemporaries. At least nobody can knock his hands like they did Jerome Harrison.

I do understand from his perspective though...with a fiancée at home, a stepchild, and a baby on the way, there’s a clear need for a paycheck. And it’s not looking like a real deep year for RBs (or much of anything, really) in the draft, so maybe this give his best chance to cash in.

I seriously hope he's getting good advice, and I wish the best for Boobie, who has been a pleasure to watch these past three seasons. With a little one on the way, I understand his reasons. Go far, James! Wazzu loves you, man!

Reactions: random soul
Obviously I would like him to stay, but who am I to tell a guy who was sleeping on park benches to pass on such an opportunity when he is healthy, has contributed to so much success.

Go get the money Boobie. Thanks for all your hard work.

Geez I didn't see that coming either. I too hope he got some good advice, and his pass catching numbers are a plus, but still. And yeah, Philip Bobo comes to mind.

And as someone else said, yes he has a fiance and stepchild (I missed the part about the one on the way), but what's her deal? This isn't the 50's where the man is the sole bread winner.

Dang for us - we were set at RB. Borghi is going to get some work.

Geez I didn't see that coming either. I too hope he got some good advice, and his pass catching numbers are a plus, but still. And yeah, Philip Bobo comes to mind.

And as someone else said, yes he has a fiance and stepchild (I missed the part about the one on the way), but what's her deal? This isn't the 50's where the man is the sole bread winner.

I'm thinking Jamir Thomas from Ohio is going to stick at running back, and that he and Jouvensly Bazil from Florida are going to see the field right away.

James Williams provided Tim Brando with the opportunity to say "boobie" far too often than the FCC normally allows on a public broadcast ("I don't believe what I just saw," Brando exclaims. That's right. He just saw a boobie) :)

I think I heard she was a teacher. So yeah, she has a paycheck, but it probably isn’t enough to support a family of 4. Even if he makes a practice squad he’ll be making more than her. If he’s on a roster, I think the minimum is 400k+

I think I heard she was a teacher. So yeah, she has a paycheck, but it probably isn’t enough to support a family of 4. Even if he makes a practice squad he’ll be making more than her. If he’s on a roster, I think the minimum is 400k+

As an undrafted free agent (and one with a torn ACL) Hercules Mata'afa is making almost $500,000 his first season. Williams is an incredibly diverse running back.

James Williams provided Tim Brando with the opportunity to say "boobie" far too often than the FCC normally allows on a public broadcast ("I don't believe what I just saw," Brando exclaims. That's right. He just saw a boobie) :)

I enjoyed it when the hot sideline reporters were compelled to say Boobie...

and then there were the women reporters too. Yowza!

:D

If Williams is going to actually be drafted, then it may be a good decision. Borghi's PT is likely to increase, and this may be a good time to go IF HE WILL ACTUALLY BE DRAFTED. As we know, many sports agents lie just like used car and aluminum siding salesmen.

The question regarding who will emerge at #2 is also a good one. I guess we'll have to see.

Yeah, that was my first thought. I wish James the best but you need to be sure before you go declaring for the NFL draft.
Sure seems like a hasty decision. Then again I’m not a college student with a kid and another on the way.

Sure wish him the best and hope he kicks ass. He’s a special talent and a great Coug.

I wish him the best but it's not totally clear that jumping now, with zero draft buzz - particularly if he doesn't finish his degree (?) - is the best financial decision for him...

I wish him the best but it's not totally clear that jumping now, with zero draft buzz - particularly if he doesn't finish his degree (?) - is the best financial decision for him...
I'd be very surprised if he didn't get drafted. I think that if he were at a school like San Diego State...he would of gained 1200 yards per season.

I'd be very surprised if he didn't get drafted. I think that if he were at a school like San Diego State...he would of gained 1200 yards per season.

He also has low miles. Miles Gaston’s best days are behind him. Big question mark is how well does he block?

He also has low miles. Miles Gaston’s best days are behind him. Big question mark is how well does he block?
He’s had plenty of experience picking up blitzes in the air raid. In the new NFL running between the tackles is 101. The guys that separate are those that can catch the ball and block. JW can do both with the best of them. If he gets overlooked he will be a steal for some team out there.

Reactions: acgcoug
So you’re saying Boobies NFL future is brighter than Gaskins?

Okayyyyyyyyyyyy.

Boobie it is built like a nfl running back. Gaskins not so much. I don’t see Gaskin having much of an nfl career. Boobie is gonna have to really work for a job. Gaskin will find a spot but if I’m a GM I’m not looking at Gaskin as my future running back.

So you’re saying Boobies NFL future is brighter than Gaskins?

Okayyyyyyyyyyyy.

I’m saying Gaskin has been rode hard and put away wet. Not near as many miles of tread left on his tires. Running between the tackles 20x per game for 4 years will do that. If Williams has the skills to play in the NFL he will probably have a longer career than Gaskins.

Williams college game/stats and play style is very Theo Riddick (Detroit Lions) NFL game/stats like. Riddick will be going on 7 years with the Lions now with his light to moderate workload of rushing and receiving. He was drafted late in the 6th round in 2013. If Williams can do the same, he will be set financially for a very long time.

He's been a great Coug, nothing but the best to him and his family.

I cringe when thinking about all those who leave early and don't stick. Not in the NFL and without a degree isn't a good thing.

That said I wish him the best, he deserves it!

Leach said the NFL evaluation told him to stay in school. Leach gave similar advice. Wish him well, but he might have to go the Herc route to make a roster.

Ok, I can’t hold my tongue any longer. There is no chance in Hell he makes an NFL roster. Come on!! We’re talking NFL running backs here. He doesn’t have the speed OR the power to play in the league.

I hope I’m wrong, but I just don’t see it. Most of us wanted Borghi, a true freshman, to get more reps than him.

Last edited:
Ok, I can’t hold my tongue any longer. There is no chance in Hell he makes an NFL roster. Come on!! We’re talking NFL running backs here. He doesn’t have the speed OR the power to play in the league.

I hope I’m wrong, but I just don’t see it. Most of wanted Borghi, a true freshman, to get more reps than him.
Thank you.

Reactions: Cougzz

She may wanna get the bleep out of Lewiston, or Moscow, or wherever they live too.

I'm thinking Jamir Thomas from Ohio is going to stick at running back, and that he and Jouvensly Bazil from Florida are going to see the field right away.
This is also Caleb Perry's shot, I have to assume. I know he was supposed to have some wheels coming in, but I have no idea if he can actually play because I've never heard anything about him, one way or the other

Not only does she have a paycheck, but his off campus living monthly payout is somewhere around $800, which goes a long way in Lewiston. I understand his eagerness to leave on top and take a shot at the NFL. I hope he gets a combine invite. If he doesn’t, he’s not going to get drafted IMO.

Reactions: Cougzz

I hope I’m wrong, but I just don’t see it. Most of us wanted Borghi, a true freshman, to get more reps than him.
Don't speak for "Most" of us. People always fall in love with the shiny new object. Borghi was fine in the role the team had him in. Williams was good in the role they had him. In a passing offense, Williams is a better receiver coming out of the backfield.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT