ADVERTISEMENT

JC players best part of this class.

ShockandAweWSU

Head Coach
Feb 20, 2018
JC kids look good and should be able to help. Many of the HS kids only have a couple of MWC offers. Film isnt very impressive. Concerned. Very concerned. This next stretch before Feb signing day is absolutely vital. Can Filani and staff meet the huge needs at outside wr. Huge needs there? Can Mcguire and staff meet the huge needs at OL..can he find some hs OL w better feet. Can Kaligis and staff find an immediate difference maker at DT? Last year we struck out at those positions. Can Dickert replace the talented three linebackers we lost this past month? Found one so far. Need more two more, preferably w more than one year of eligibility. If those needs aren't met we might be dusting off our "Drinking team has a football problem" shirts from the late 98/99/2000 Era.

hmmm, after looking through the class I think they did a pretty good job all around all things considered. Only thing I would have liked would have been a big WR. Almost all had a decent offer sheet. Are they Mike Leach 2018 offer sheets? No, but brand X has offers listed in their article and a lot of guys had other good programs. Done without a OC or DC, and all the negative momentum. I will call it a decent class that they can build off.

What we saw in the bowl game is next year’s team. They need transfers to help immediately. Specifically on the OL and DT. If you couldn’t start on the OL this year, what happens between now and August 1st that makes kids better?

What we saw in the bowl game is next year’s team. They need transfers to help immediately. Specifically on the OL and DT. If you couldn’t start on the OL this year, what happens between now and August 1st that makes kids better?
Lifting and training. Another offseason of practice. Perhaps a tweak in offensive scheme that eliminates some pressure and a QB who can run the offense.

Oh man. Not giving you grief, Chugs, because you're right and they absolutely need to lift, train, and get better, but I'm having some nasty flashbacks to the posts in the Wulff days about how our team would improve with the training table and lifting weights. You know, they let the opposing team do that too ....

Reactions: BleedCrimsonandGray
Just two observations at this point:

- Yes, JC's are significant this year for a lot of reasons. Of course one is more immediate help; but another big one is that the portal has probably worked against the interests of JC players. Portal kids are less of an academic/speed of the game/maturity/etc. risk, in general. And I suspect that figures into JC kids being more available than they were prior to the portal.
- 5 OL recruits and CJD stating that 5 is the annual goal each year. I've never seen where he has actually stated that before, but I think it is critical. It is also not out of the realm of possibility that we could pick up one more OL via transfer this year. Given how we looked in the bowl game, I'd bet that he would jump on another good transfer OL in a heartbeat. And I can see how it would be attractive to a transfer, since there is a legitimate chance to compete to start.

Last edited:
Oh man. Not giving you grief, Chugs, because you're right and they absolutely need to lift, train, and get better, but I'm having some nasty flashbacks to the posts in the Wulff days about how our team would improve with the training table and lifting weights. You know, they let the opposing team do that too ....
I get it. He asked how do people get better, and that’s how. Sink or swim time for the coaches now to pull the nose up now. I don’t think we are headed to Wulff levels, but time will tell. I bet they focus pretty hard between today and whenever the feb signing period is on OL, DL, and big WRs. Hopefully they can nab Guillroy but we’ll see. I was friends with guys on the Wulff teams, some I played with. The guys joining the team and on the team now are not Wulff level players. Those guys were getting punished for not eating their assigned meals cause they didn’t want their clothes to stop fitting. Hopefully we’re just hitting the lull that programs in transition do and we move forward. The Beavs were ass a few years ago and just kept building. All Dickert can do.

Reactions: 425cougfan
I get it. He asked how do people get better, and that’s how. Sink or swim time for the coaches now to pull the nose up now. I don’t think we are headed to Wulff levels, but time will tell. I bet they focus pretty hard between today and whenever the feb signing period is on OL, DL, and big WRs. Hopefully they can nab Guillroy but we’ll see. I was friends with guys on the Wulff teams, some I played with. The guys joining the team and on the team now are not Wulff level players. Those guys were getting punished for not eating their assigned meals cause they didn’t want their clothes to stop fitting. Hopefully we’re just hitting the lull that programs in transition do and we move forward. The Beavs were ass a few years ago and just kept building. All Dickert can do.
Chug, when were you on campus? From the sounds of it, we may have crossed paths in years.

Really interesting stuff, Chugs. Thanks for sharing. Hadn't heard that about the guys around the Wulff era, but it fits with some of the other stuff I heard. I agree re the current players and don't mean to imply they're the same.

Lifting and training. Another offseason of practice. Perhaps a tweak in offensive scheme that eliminates some pressure and a QB who can run the offense.

You need to be powerful to play OL and stop the DL. That strength typically isnt built in an off season. For some kids it can literally take years.

You need to be powerful to play OL and stop the DL. That strength typically isnt built in an off season. For some kids it can literally take years.
Not arguing there. But not many options between lifting and transfers over the next 3 months.

Really interesting stuff, Chugs. Thanks for sharing. Hadn't heard that about the guys around the Wulff era, but it fits with some of the other stuff I heard. I agree re the current players and don't mean to imply they're the same.
8-13. Played with/lifted with and hung around many of those guys. Only group that was worth a shit was guys Sturdy recruited. His WRs were actually pretty good. Rest of the guys I had no idea what was going on. I lifted more than most the Olineman at 205 lbs. it was weird times

no, he deserves grief.

no one on the ol should be starting for a p5 team, even one a bad as we are.

This recruiting class is statistically the same as every other recruiting class we've had since 2013.

As far as the comment about being concerned about our HS signings, here are the bios of most of them. I've been following WSU recruiting for over 20 years, and these bios match who we always bring in.

Terrell (Edge) - Cal, San Jose
Ansel-Din Mbuh (DT) - Air Force, Wyoming
Wilson (S) - Cal, SMU, SDSU
Hernandez (WR) - Oregon State, Fresno, Nevada
Bohannon (LB) - Memphis, Alabama State
Davis (CB) - Boston College, Duke, Cent Mich
Faavae (LB) - Fresno, Cent Mich, Colorado St, Hawaii
Gates (OT) - Arizona St, Fresno, Utah St, UNLV
Lekner (H-back) - Oregon State, Nevada, Colorado St, Army
Pulasi (RB) - BYU, Oregon State, Colorado State, Nev
Smith (CB) - UW, UCLA, Boise, Boston College, Ariz, Cal
Pritchard (OT) - Boise, Colorado St
Laufau (DT) - Hawaii, Nevada, San Jose St
Dunham (OT) - Arizona, Fresno, SDSU, Nevada
Sheffield (DT) - Kansas, Ohio, Georgia State

I loved Mike Leach as our head coach, but his classes were only marginally (if that) better than this one. The JC kids we signed today look really strong.

65th ranked class last year
61st this year.
Rivals
Yes. But also important to recognize that since the portal has no real expiration date or deadline, the rankings (such as they are) will be in flux from now until kids show up in the summer. It has not been a long time since the class rankings were pretty well fixed by the end of LOI day, but those days are long gone.

8-13. Played with/lifted with and hung around many of those guys. Only group that was worth a shit was guys Sturdy recruited. His WRs were actually pretty good. Rest of the guys I had no idea what was going on. I lifted more than most the Olineman at 205 lbs. it was weird times
Agreed Chugs about the OL not being at Wulff levels now. I do think we'll see some dramatic improvement on the line for the simple reason that we've brought in the numbers necessary. We do need a transfer or two as insurance that the line is ready, but guys who aren't getting it done at the weight room are going to be dead weight pretty quickly and can be cast aside.

Steal Mason Miller from Miss State, make him OC , he’s a good line coach. If that staff of Leachs gets Broken up I’d try to get some of those guys. Miss State will go full moron and tear down everything Leach had built up most likely.
I have been wondering on what will happen with Mississippi State and the coaching staff. Not so much immediately, but give it a year if they don't seem to be "winning"

I have been wondering on what will happen with Mississippi State and the coaching staff. Not so much immediately, but give it a year if they don't seem to be "winning"
That fan base sucks *#@$, they will most likely disintegrate. Leach had them poised to win 10 games next year, returns about the wholemteam with a much easier schedule.

they will F it up. Texas Tech, great fans, WSU great fans......miss state ? Pure trash

they hired their dc who is 36 as head coach, the key is if they bring in a oc who will keep,things going how Leach built them, that’s doubtful. Too many morons who think running the ball against sec d lines is the way to a national championship, lol. Leach had a great staff assembled, if they start losing those guys the whole thing will crater.

my summation of the sec in general and state fans specifically is very poor. They never understood or appreciated Leach, just got what they could from him. I think he made a mistake going there.

We used to be able to get away with these rankings based on Coaching and Schematics

Can we still?
Did WSU always have no realistic shot of having the occasional class in the 40s or so, and, more importantly, could those recruits who actually were Pac-12 caliber and were coached up always be tampered with and transfer somewhere else with immediate eligibility? Think the answer to those questions answers yours, unfortunately.

They gave Arnett a 4 year deal. I would expect their staff to remain mostly in tact.

I've seen a couple of times that apparently there were whispers Leach was going to retire for health reasons after NSD in February. What I'm saying is, I don't think much was planning on changing.

This recruiting class is statistically the same as every other recruiting class we've had since 2013.

As far as the comment about being concerned about our HS signings, here are the bios of most of them. I've been following WSU recruiting for over 20 years, and these bios match who we always bring in.

Terrell (Edge) - Cal, San Jose
Ansel-Din Mbuh (DT) - Air Force, Wyoming
Wilson (S) - Cal, SMU, SDSU
Hernandez (WR) - Oregon State, Fresno, Nevada
Bohannon (LB) - Memphis, Alabama State
Davis (CB) - Boston College, Duke, Cent Mich
Faavae (LB) - Fresno, Cent Mich, Colorado St, Hawaii
Gates (OT) - Arizona St, Fresno, Utah St, UNLV
Lekner (H-back) - Oregon State, Nevada, Colorado St, Army
Pulasi (RB) - BYU, Oregon State, Colorado State, Nev
Smith (CB) - UW, UCLA, Boise, Boston College, Ariz, Cal
Pritchard (OT) - Boise, Colorado St
Laufau (DT) - Hawaii, Nevada, San Jose St
Dunham (OT) - Arizona, Fresno, SDSU, Nevada
Sheffield (DT) - Kansas, Ohio, Georgia State

I loved Mike Leach as our head coach, but his classes were only marginally (if that) better than this one. The JC kids we signed today look really strong.
The question is, will the current coaching staff be able to coach these new players up to win more games than losses?

We need to have classes in 30s and 40s. Recruiting OL is more than just numbers. It's about their feet. Go watch Dillard's, Lucas' or even Kingston's film...they can move...they can get down field on a tunnel screen.....the OL we signed today are maybe interior OL. Just because you're tall and weigh close to 300lbs doesn't mean you can block at the Pac-12 level.

Last edited:
Going to be tough in this new era, especially when your HC is not super well known. There's no brand or name recognition. Dickert is going to have to scrap his way into living rooms until he has a resume to prove it.
Like it or not, that is our place now. Any successful D1AA or G5 coach we would hire would be on every list to move on if they had a modicum of success. We are now on the Johnathon Smith build your case for 5 years train.

"What we saw in the bowl game is next year’s team."

Assuming CW is our Quarterback.

"What we saw in the bowl game is next year’s team."

Assuming CW is our Quarterback.

Chinese fire drill in the defensive backfield.

Poor blocking.

Slow running back.

No wide receivers. Might as well play 6 or 7 OL lined up as TEs if the receivers can’t catch.

Middle of the defense gashed.

Linebackers. Buehler? Buehler? Anyone?

They have holes all over the field. They need transfers asap. They could literally bring in 11 transfers on offense and they all win jobs.

This staff has their work cut out for them. You cannot go on and on in press conferences about how you are a development program when:
1) Kids aren’t developing.
2) Kids are leaving.
3) Both 1 and 2.

Could they sign 35 kids this year? I counted 39 on Idaho’s signing day roster.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT