ADVERTISEMENT

Jeff Schmedding

I really like this hire. I wouldn't call him a great recruiter, but he is a really good recruiter. He brought in lots of NFL talent while at Eastern. Hard to do. Really good linebacker coach. Players love playing for him. Can't just judge him at Auburn. Harsin was doomed from the beginning at Auburn. Schmedding did a great job at Boise. Ran a 4-2-5 at Eastern for years and at Boise and racked up many sacks and turnovers. Will be a really good fit....plus he is from Spokane.

He has coaching ties through out the PNW. He and Dickert should be on the same page. Cool to see a real defensive coordinator that will kept a physical brand of defense.

Got a laugh from that.

Schmedding, I think is either a 4 2 5 guy like Dickert, or 3-3-5, and is like SPEED D, ALL HATS to Ball.

He probably goes with Nickel, drops 5 back on 1st down until prove whether pass or run more. And drops 6 back on 2nd down, and 7 back on 3rd and long.

He probably plays a match up zone in secondary, as he rushes the passer and occasionally brings a LB blitz, heat.

He probably gives up the uncommon, semi rare big run or pass play due to being AGRESSIVE, attacking.

Also will probably over pursue, get trapped semi rarely, due to how fast all hats fly to ball.

The hybrid LB/Nickel, safety like DB/LB, and the Nosetackle, and the hybrid BUCK LB/DE that can speed rush on the edge, are the key positions, players to the defense, and is easier to recruit to then the 4 2 5.

I think he temporarily goes 4 2 5, and then gradually, slowly, phases in the 3-3-5, if he is a 3-3-5 instead of 4-2-5.

I have heard that his defenses are good, and that he is a good DC, that why I think it's a good hire.

Got a laugh from that.

Schmedding, I think is either a 4 2 5 guy like Dickert, or 3-3-5, and is like SPEED D, ALL HATS to Ball.

He probably goes with Nickel, drops 5 back on 1st down until prove whether pass or run more. And drops 6 back on 2nd down, and 7 back on 3rd and long.

He probably plays a match up zone in secondary, as he rushes the passer and occasionally brings a LB blitz, heat.

He probably gives up the uncommon, semi rare big run or pass play due to being AGRESSIVE, attacking.

Also will probably over pursue, get trapped semi rarely, due to how fast all hats fly to ball.

The hybrid LB/Nickel, safety like DB/LB, and the Nosetackle, and the hybrid BUCK LB/DE that can speed rush on the edge, are the key positions, players to the defense, and is easier to recruit to then the 4 2 5.

I think he temporarily goes 4 2 5, and then gradually, slowly, phases in the 3-3-5, if he is a 3-3-5 instead of 4-2-5.

I have heard that his defenses are good, and that he is a good DC, that why I think it's a good hire.
It was reported he was running a stack in Boise. Went to see a game with my nephew and the had 4 men at the line against Air Force. They ended up slowing them down and winning the game. I'd like to find the film of them running the 3-3-5 at Boise

Buddy’s 46 with the corner on the island was darn near a 9-2 and it worked. 85 Bears, best ever
Buddy's defense would get crushed by these offenses. He would have adapted and would not allow Fencik to be on the slot with any of today's slots.

Buddy's defense would get crushed by these offenses. He would have adapted and would not allow Fencik to be on the slot with any of today's slots.
Nat Moore ate that defense alive when it was the new hotness. Now every team has a Nat Moore, some teams have two.

Nat Moore ate that defense alive when it was the new hotness. Now every team has a Nat Moore, some teams have two.
Bears lost one game that year . To the Dolphins … they went in shotgun with Marino, not allowing pressure on Marino and he could pick on Richardson who was a safety in college and was a 4.7 guy, Doug plank etc .

Now Wilbur Marshall was mark fields before mark fields was mark fields .

I still want the Cougs to go to the 5-4-6 . I think we can be competitive with everyone with that scheme.......
Only if we can get Robb Akey back with the 24/7 blitz and him tackling our guys as they come off the field

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT