ADVERTISEMENT

Jimmy Rogers no longer coming as DC

chugspig

Hall Of Fame
Nov 5, 2011
Per brand X. Wonder what fell through there. Dickert said staff in place by 1/8. Hope he’s got a good alt.

The rumored potential candidate...didn't realize that former WSU LB coach Roc Bellantoni was also at his previous employer.

I can't access the article either, but the headline at Brand X includes a picture that appears to be former Auburn DC Jeff Schmedding, who was swept out at the end of the season when Hugh Freeze came in. Schmedding came to Auburn from Boise State with his old boss Bryan Harsin. Schmedding was DC at EWU for a few years and is a Spokane native. I would rather have the South Dakota State guy even though Schmedding has SEC experience. Of course, all of this is my speculation. Maybe someone has Brand X membership privileges and can shed some light.

Glad Cougar

I can't access the article either, but the headline at Brand X includes a picture that appears to be former Auburn DC Jeff Schmedding, who was swept out at the end of the season when Hugh Freeze came in. Schmedding came to Auburn from Boise State with his old boss Bryan Harsin. Schmedding was DC at EWU for a few years and is a Spokane native. I would rather have the South Dakota State guy even though Schmedding has SEC experience. Of course, all of this is my speculation. Maybe someone has Brand X membership privileges and can shed some light.

Glad Cougar
I would rather have Vic So’oto or Roy Manning. Someone who can recruit. Especially if it’s Dickerts D. If he hire Bellatoni I might nope out of next season. Only thing lower would be Breske.

Glad Cougar
No brand X membership, but its Schmedding.

Kurt Mattix San Diego St DC runs a 3-3-5, which fits very well with what WSU does and is much easier to recruit for since you don’t need a bunch of blue chip nose tackles.

3rd nationally in rush defense. ,5th national passes intercepted, 12th national in overall defense, 13th nationally in pass defense

thats the guy I’d offer. He’s got better stats than Zach Arnett who Leach hired prior to this guy getting the job.

If he reportedly had past DCs (multiple) watch Arbuckle and give advice, there is no way he didn’t do the same for DC hire. And there is no way they settled on Bellatoni. His pinnacle game with the Cougs was our bowl and that was terrible terrible.

Reactions: BiggsCoug
wait, it actually says that Roc Bellatoni is a candidate? That seems way out of left field.
Glad (and 96) gave the correct name. Sorry I didn't mean to insinuate it would be Roc Bellantoni, I was just surprised he was able to work up to coach at Auburn.

He sucks. Holy tap dancing Moses who the fuc$ is dickfore hiring?
If he hired Roc I would have a lot of questions. Fortunately, that's not the case. I was surprised to see he worked up to coach at Auburn is all.

I'm not sure who is getting hired, but the fact it's not in place right now isn't great.

He sucks. Holy tap dancing Moses who the fuc$ is dickfore hiring?

I still don't get why you have such a hard-on for Dickert. You bitched and moaned about how his connections sucked and he doesn't know anybody and we were screwed at OC....and then we find out that he managed to pull in one of the most exciting young minds in football and everyone is saying it's a great hire.

We don't get his first target at DC and you immediately start with the childish nicknames. For an old dude...you can be pretty adolescent.

Roc is the DC at FAU. Cougs are POSSIBLY looking at Jeff Schmedding. Schmedding followed Dickert, Chun and Ike Ukaegbu about a week ago. Ukaegbu only one that followed back. Rogers was the guy...maybe he has a Midwest DC job lined up. Schmedding would be a good hire. He is a good recruiter and is really well liked by his players. However, I'm not sure he has ever ran the 4-2-5 style of defense that Dickert prefers. If not, I assume he is not the guy. Hopefully we will know soon. School starts up very soon and the transfer pool is going to dry up real soon.

I still don't get why you have such a hard-on for Dickert. You bitched and moaned about how his connections sucked and he doesn't know anybody and we were screwed at OC....and then we find out that he managed to pull in one of the most exciting young minds in football and everyone is saying it's a great hire.

We don't get his first target at DC and you immediately start with the childish nicknames. For an old dude...you can be pretty adolescent.
I don't understand it either. If you're upset that we didn't go big enough with the hire or that we settled for a guy who's too green to be a P5 coach, OK, but the hiring decision had nothing to do with Dickert. Of course he was going to accept the damn job offer. So far he strikes me as a standup person, good family man, and a solid defensive coach.

How can you not like this stuff?

Mark Atuaia - Freestyle Friday

Jeff Schmedding Is Spokane guy. Played at University HS In Spokane Valley & went on to play at Eastern Washington.

I would rather have Vic So’oto or Roy Manning. Someone who can recruit. Especially if it’s Dickerts D. If he hire Bellatoni I might nope out of next season. Only thing lower would be Breske.

After what I watched from SC this season on defense I don’t know if I want Manning calling a defense. Some of these ships have sailed. They are other dudes who can recruit to Pullman.

I’ve heard nothing about Roc Bellatoni coming back. His son is playing baseball at Auburn. He isn’t coming back up here.

After what I watched from SC this season on defense I don’t know if I want Manning calling a defense. Some of these ships have sailed. They are other dudes who can recruit to Pullman.

I’ve heard nothing about Roc Bellatoni coming back. His son is playing baseball at Auburn. He isn’t coming back up here.
Read thru Roc’s bio. That guy has moved around more than a desperate frat boy at last call.

His kids at Auburn huh. He’d be playing with my nephew.

Really?

You don't know why Biggs is complaining about Dickert? Are you new?

Here's the formula: whoever is in place = Biggs' least favorite person.

Starting qb? Backup is better.
HC? He sucks, get another one!
DC? JV squad bullshit.

Or maybe your question was rhetorical?

Although I'm not siding with Biggs 24/7... his concept of build bigger and better = get bigger and better is spot on.

Not any different with coaches. Bigger names with proven track records have a better chance of success vs. 2-year experienced PE teachers.

Why should we ever think we can run what everyone else runs and win games if we have lesser/smaller talent? Big Sky coaches? Losing record coaches? Never signed a stud coaches?

For every 1 out of 10 times it works... 9 outta 10 it fails.

I am still pretty pleased with our 2 years after Leach. I think Dickert is better than what/who we could've picked... still not really proven though.

This will be my judgement year

Jealousy. Dickert is living pretty much all of our dreams.

Although I'm not siding with Biggs 24/7... his concept of build bigger and better = get bigger and better is spot on.

Not any different with coaches. Bigger names with proven track records have a better chance of success vs. 2-year experienced PE teachers.

Why should we ever think we can run what everyone else runs and win games if we have lesser/smaller talent? Big Sky coaches? Losing record coaches? Never signed a stud coaches?

For every 1 out of 10 times it works... 9 outta 10 it fails.

I am still pretty pleased with our 2 years after Leach. I think Dickert is better than what/who we could've picked... still not really proven though.

WSU is one of the top 100 football jobs in the country. I may even argue top 75. Why would WSU settle for less?

There are only 130 division 1 programs. Top 100 isn’t saying much.

NFL has 32.
Power 5 has 64 + ND.

This is what I mean when I write “top 100.” Im not including all FBS programs.

So yes, it is saying much. The volume of money involved, even for end of the Top 100, is much more than G5 programs.

The toughest thing for an athletic director to do is to sit back and set criteria and timeframes for expectations. All BS aside, as long as WSU is finishing 7-5 in the regular season, Dickert isn't going anywhere. Fans can judge all they want, Biggs can make childish, snarky posts all he wants....but Dickert's job is secure for a long time if we are finishing above 0.500 every year.

It's also important to remember that Dickert has only had one full season as coach. Mike Leach finished 3-9 in his third full season and he still had a job. Now, 2015-18 showed why the patience made sense, but there were plenty of people calling for Leach's head after the 2014 season and the majority of WSU fans were ready to can him when we started 2015 0-2. As long as the program isn't noticeably melting down, Dickert's job is safe.

Given that Dickert is currently sitting with a winning percentage of 52.6%, that puts him in 6th place on our list of coaches in the past 100 years.

Evashevski: 63.2% (11 wins)
Hollingberry: 62.5% (93 wins)
Leach: 54.5% (55 wins)
Powers: 54.5% (6 wins)
Erickson: 54.3% (12 wins)
Dickert: 52.6% (10 wins)
Price: 51.6% (83 wins)
Doba: 50.8% (30 wins)

When you weed out guys like Evashevski, Powers and Erickson who barely stayed long enough for their coffee to cool off, Dickert is currently in third place in win percentage. Given that our team has now largely turned over since Leach left, next season will be a judgement year, but realistically, as long as we make a bowl game, the judgement is going to be, "Keep doing your thing".

I brought it up before and will say it again.....OSU is thankful they gave Jonathan Smith a few years to establish his program, and he started off 9-22 after three years as HC. Smith inherited a mess from Gary Anderson but Dickert has to deal with the turmoil left by Rolovich. In any event, a winning record and another bowl game in his first full season has prompted me to give Dickert some patience and support. Other fans can react in a manner they feel appropriate.

Glad Cougar

It's going to work itself out. If we tank next season, then Dickert will be on the clock. It's that simple. We don't need to spend the entire offseason bitching and moaning about something that's not even on the horizon yet.

Reactions: Flatlandcoug
The toughest thing for an athletic director to do is to sit back and set criteria and timeframes for expectations. All BS aside, as long as WSU is finishing 7-5 in the regular season, Dickert isn't going anywhere. Fans can judge all they want, Biggs can make childish, snarky posts all he wants....but Dickert's job is secure for a long time if we are finishing above 0.500 every year.

It's also important to remember that Dickert has only had one full season as coach. Mike Leach finished 3-9 in his third full season and he still had a job. Now, 2015-18 showed why the patience made sense, but there were plenty of people calling for Leach's head after the 2014 season and the majority of WSU fans were ready to can him when we started 2015 0-2. As long as the program isn't noticeably melting down, Dickert's job is safe.

Given that Dickert is currently sitting with a winning percentage of 52.6%, that puts him in 6th place on our list of coaches in the past 100 years.

Evashevski: 63.2% (11 wins)
Hollingberry: 62.5% (93 wins)
Leach: 54.5% (55 wins)
Powers: 54.5% (6 wins)
Erickson: 54.3% (12 wins)
Dickert: 52.6% (10 wins)
Price: 51.6% (83 wins)
Doba: 50.8% (30 wins)

When you weed out guys like Evashevski, Powers and Erickson who barely stayed long enough for their coffee to cool off, Dickert is currently in third place in win percentage. Given that our team has now largely turned over since Leach left, next season will be a judgement year, but realistically, as long as we make a bowl game, the judgement is going to be, "Keep doing your thing".
If Dickert goes 7-6 every year at WSU for a decade they will build a statue of him at Gesa Field.

Reactions: mikalalas
That would be sad. Mediocrity doesn’t deserve applause.
But he has below mediocrity investment from our fans, including you and I and everyone on this board.

In the SEC...people debate, do I get tickets to Auburn Alabama or do I get health insurance.

So when we start giving millions and put our program on semi equal footing yeah I personally will applaud 7-5.

7-6 every year for a decade won't, and shouldn't, get him a statue. Let's not go too far. But looking at what it would take to get that done and where WSU fits in the CFB world, if there was some way to quantify resource limitations and the ridiculous challenges a WSU coach faces, it might be a top-10 coaching effort in P5 over that span. It's hard to judge WSU coaches. I was frustrated most of this year and thought most of it was shitty. The offense was so obviously flawed, and the OL so lousy, it was clear early the team wasn't going anywhere meaningful. The bowl game, with all the transfers and opt-outs, was a real knee to the groin that we have to think about all offseason. Still, a lot of people currently making more money than Dickert likely would have gone 5-7 or 4-8, and maybe worse.

I like his OC and DC hires and the work to bring some talent in through the portal. It's necessary in today's landscape. Claiming you have to be either a developmental school and bring in few transfers, or just use the portal and flush high school recruiting, is a false dichotomy in the mind of one guy prone to hyperbole and bullshit. Dickert should bring in as many talented players as he can who are appropriate for the system(s) and have other aspects he's looking for. Let the cream rise to the top. Some of that cream is going to be players who have put in the work and developed. Some won't be. Some will transfer. What would be stupid is trying to hew to the odd whims of a guy who, if running things, would have added 35,000 perpetually empty seats to the stadium, among other insane moves he has raved about.

Reactions: KRUSTYtheCOUG
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT