ADVERTISEMENT

Just bought my first Athlon mag in years...

YakiCoug

Hall Of Fame
Jan 6, 2003
The recruiting rankings, both the national 200 and the Pac-12, of individual players do not include any Cougs. No Jamire Calvin, no anybody. Still reading the rest of the magazine, but this appears to be the same old Athlon schtick.

Some things never change, and having competent writers outside of the southeastern part of the country and Notre Dame is unlikely with Athlon. They just read what other people write and make it up from there in the west.

Yep. Those mags make their money by selling to fans desperate for something/anything during the doldrums of the football season. Take what happened last year and then factor in an adjustment toward the mean according to that team's history. Texas, Notre Dame, Oklahoma etc. get credit for improvement. Wazzu, Minnesota and the ilk are assumed to take a backward step. Print it up and make some money. Easy and lazy journalism.

The recruiting rankings, both the national 200 and the Pac-12, of individual players do not include any Cougs. No Jamire Calvin, no anybody. Still reading the rest of the magazine, but this appears to be the same old Athlon schtick.
NEVER, ever buy just one of them. Buy them all...or as many as you can. Read them through. Together, they have some decent info. Steele's is the best, imo, but I tend to see better info in numbers

NEVER, ever buy just one of them. Buy them all...or as many as you can. Read them through. Together, they have some decent info. Steele's is the best, imo, but I tend to see better info in numbers

Geez, I thought you had died. Where have you been?

Athlon stinks..... same old! For anyone really watching.... WSU should be ahead of Oregon for sure..... for lots of reasons! Nuff said.

Fun stuff but not lucrative fields (ethics, comparative religion, etc.)

I dabble in academic writings regarding religion, mostly Christianity, Judaism, and Islam. A good friend of mine is a major Biblical scholar.

I haven't bought a preview mag in ages, but in my experience the only one worth getting was Steele. I do wish the dude would shut up about his awesome prognostication skills because it got tiresome to read, but he gave you a ton of info in a small package, including relative ratings for recruits, 3 deep depth charts, quick overviews about returning players, and general statistical performances from team units. Athlon was always the worst. Nice glossy photos, but the most superficial tripe available if you want actual information.

I haven't bought a preview mag in ages, but in my experience the only one worth getting was Steele. I do wish the dude would shut up about his awesome prognostication skills because it got tiresome to read, but he gave you a ton of info in a small package, including relative ratings for recruits, 3 deep depth charts, quick overviews about returning players, and general statistical performances from team units. Athlon was always the worst. Nice glossy photos, but the most superficial tripe available if you want actual information.
spot on. Steele never misses a moment to market his skills, both real and imagined. But he does have good info. It's almost vacation time, and one of my pre-move-in rituals is to load up on all the football mags the grocery store has....my wife tolerates it....:D

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT