ADVERTISEMENT

Kent and recruiting

bogusto

Hall Of Fame
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
When he was at Oregon EK was able to recruit talented players, even some four stars, to play his system, a system that requires talent to make it function optimally. The question still remains if he will be able to replicate that in Pullman. Tony Bennett is still making it work in Virginia using the Bennett model they used at Wazzu. Recruit decent players and have them outwork and out-fundamental everyone else. The main difference at Virginia is he is getting incrementally better players than he did here and is thus competing for national championships using "The
Bennett" system. Its a beautiful thing to see and an ideal equalizer to the Big Boys star system. Again, remains to be seen if EK, using his model, can compete anywhere near that level in Pullman.

Small sample for EK so far, but if you include the kids he recruited for next year, I'm not impressed. Franks will probably be a good one in time. The JC guards just don't seem to be the type that will get WSU out of the basement of the Pac-12.

An inforcer/rebounding big is sorely needed because the current Cougar guards can't play much perimeter defense.

Time will tell, but EK really hasn't shown any more recruiting prowess than Bone did.

I agree that this recruiting class seems a bit weak and I believe Franks will be decent but if I remember right this was a bit of a rushed recruiting cycle for EK so I'm looking at 2016 to really see what he bring in.

Originally posted by gcarlin1:
I agree that this recruiting class seems a bit weak and I believe Franks will be decent but if I remember right this was a bit of a rushed recruiting cycle for EK so I'm looking at 2016 to really see what he bring in.
Exactly, Kent has been on the job for what, 9 months? We aren't Kentucky, UofA or UCLA, we can't build a class in a few months. Recruiting takes years of developing relationships. Some people need to relax, it's gonna be a long process.

While you are right, I'm still amazed at what Tinkle has been able to do at OSU. He's been on the job fewer days than Ernie, but has captured a nationally ranked recruiting class already. Granted, it includes his kid and an assistant coach's kid....but also two other highly ranked recruits. Not saying Tinkle is better than Kent, but he's proving you don't need years on the job to bring in a good class. George Raveling also was successful in bringing in early talent, but that was a different era.

Glad Cougar

The Bennetts and Price won the WSU traditional way, with systems that did more with less, with proven histories of doing just that. When Moos hired Kent we all scratched our heads because he isn't remotely that. But let's not kid ourselves this was not a WSU needs to have a successful basketball program hire by Moos. Moos is a "Mike Lude" football floats all ships AD, or that is the impression. That is why there was so little interest in the job. Moos didn't have a ton of options. Quality coaches want commitment promises, the same type of promises he gave Leach and can't/won't offer to basketball.

That said, Kent is an outgoing lady's man like George, he plays a systems that kids today like, and he is quick to trust and slow to bench, and P-12 Network is selling him hard. If he can't recruit to Pullman, no one can. Will he? Who knows. All we can do is cross our fingers. Already deep in debt, Moos with the Leach/Kent hires is on a path that will prove himself to be a genius or the Paul Wulff of P-12 ADs. We still don't know what path that is.

Originally posted by How_did_this_happen?:
Agree, and I don't believe that OSU's facilities are all that much better than ours, are they?
OSU just finished in 2014 a brand new basketball practice facility, so yes, they are far ahead of our practice facility as is the ENTIRE pac 12.

OSU's arena is still a dump as far as I know however (haven't been in a couple years). Glorified HS Gym. Though Beasley isn't much better (yay orange seats!).

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT