ADVERTISEMENT

Kliff Kingsbury is the new head coach of the . . .

ScottHood

Nov 8, 2007
Arizona Cardinals. Guy goes from being fired at Texas Tech to OC at USC to NFL head coach. I call that a steep upward trajectory.

In a normal circumstance, this is when I'd grab some popcorn and wait for all of this to explode. But I hope Kliff can get this done. You're right, this is a steep, steep accent that few could survive.

Reactions: cr8zyncalif
No risk at all for Kliff. Huge opportunity, and if he fails, so what?

The real concern here is if he offers the OC job to Leach. :eek:

I really don't understand what the Cardinals are thinking here, but I suppose their truth is that he really can't do much damage.

And, since it's also a big middle finger to USC...I'll take it.

I simply do not understand AD's or GM's. They must share hallucinogenics. Makes no sense with the laws of economics or supply and demand. None.

I don’t know much about Kilff, but I guess he is regarded to be an elite young offensive mind, similar to Josh McDaniels.

Art Rooney owner of the Pittsburgh Steelers once hired the Duquesne coach Aldo Delli to coach. Pre WW2, Duquesne was a big deal in eastern football.

Aldo Delli was undefeated at Duquesne and simply took over coaching both teams simultaneously.

Steelers in the morning, Duquesne in the afternoon.

Worked until the week Delli told Rooney that he couldn't coach the Steelers that week because Duquesne had a road game.

NFL flipped out and ordered Rooney to fire Delli.

Art Rooney's head scout for the Steelers during that era was a friend of his, an undertaker who had season tickets for Pitt and Duquesne. More players from Duquesne have been drafted by the Steelers than any other school.

Reactions: taf88
I simply do not understand AD's or GM's. They must share hallucinogenics. Makes no sense with the laws of economics or supply and demand. None.
There’s the flip side of it. How many times do you hire retreads that prove their mediocrity time and time again. The NFL does that too.

I’m not sure I’d hire Kingsberry, but I get the idea of rolling the dice if you believe you found a young coach that could be a superstar. Better than hiring Jeff Fischer and knowing you have a reasonable doubt that he will ever take you where you want to go.

There’s the flip side of it. How many times do you hire retreads that prove their mediocrity time and time again. The NFL does that too.

I’m not sure I’d hire Kingsberry, but I get the idea of rolling the dice if you believe you found a young coach that could be a superstar. Better than hiring Jeff Fischer and knowing you have a reasonable doubt that he will ever take you where you want to go.
Kliff's agent must be working overtime though. USC first. Then it was the Jets. But he lands in AZ? That just seems a bit of a whirlwind for someone that just got fired in the NCAA ranks.

Again, hope it works, I don't mean to slam but wow. Just a very interesting gamble.

The Rams and Chiefs offense are the new "sexy" thing in the NFL. Not surprised teams going that route. We've seen this in the past with teams going after the "west coast offense" (ala Bill Walsh, Holmgren, et. al.).

Andy Reed is unique in that he was once considered one of the stewards of the west coast offense. Now he's re-invented things a bit with Mahomes and its working.

gib, I take your point, but this article is a fair representation of how the alums view having an OC for one month, along with the reputed change to an air raid offense that now seems unlikely. Swann managed to deflect the Helton unhappiness with this OC hire, and when it blew up in his face the shrapnel went a lot of directions. The hostility for renewing Helton in the first place hasn't really faded, and this OC turnstile has just fueled the abuse that Swann is taking. One of my friends asked rhetorically, "what's next? the triple option?".

I think Kliff going to AZ is very good for WSU, last thing we needed was USC to be recruiting Air Raid talent against us, right now we have a unique leg up against the rest of the Pac-12, lets keep it that way.

Reactions: PINGDUDE4
I think Kliff going to AZ is very good for WSU, last thing we needed was USC to be recruiting Air Raid talent against us, right now we have a unique leg up against the rest of the Pac-12, lets keep it that way.

Well, the truth is that the only times WSU is recruiting against USC is when USC strikes out on all the guys at the top of their board and tries to poach a verbal. I kind of doubt that will stop.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT