ADVERTISEMENT

KSU sells booze at athletic events? I see it in our future....

Meanwhile it was announced yesterday that alcohol is now banned from all public university property in Idaho. This includes people tailgating in or around the stadiums at Idaho and Boise State.

I think alcohol is "banned" from WSU and UW as well. Put it in a red solo cup and don't act like an idiot and you'll be fine.

Completely incorrect. Alcohol is allowed in the proximity of your vehicle on gamedays at WSU.

Idaho on the other hand is going to start actively patrolling and ticketing, even for red cups.

In the "olden days" there was a state law restricting even a bar or tavern from within proximity of a state campus. Believe that it was one mile although not sure. One of the old "blue laws" that were overturned in the sixties. Ttown has it right though. Don't overdo it or draw attention to yourself and no problem.

Sale of beer at Martin should be and probably is on the table. If this can be accomplished without drunken misbehavior then it is indeed a no-brainer.

In the "olden days" there was a state law restricting even a bar or tavern from within proximity of a state campus. Believe that it was one mile although not sure. One of the old "blue laws" that were overturned in the sixties. Ttown has it right though. Don't overdo it or draw attention to yourself and no problem.

Sale of beer at Martin should be and probably is on the table. If this can be accomplished without drunken misbehavior then it is indeed a no-brainer.
It's on the table, and currently being discussed within the university and athletics. Not a popular idea with the insurance people, but the winds seem to be blowing that direction.

Lol drunken misbehavior occurs anyway!

O.K., fair point. Edit my previous post to "excessive and intolerable" drunken misbehavior.

I see what you mean, but now I'm just having fun with it!

616506_10100586508853623_1913569247_o.0.jpg

zrcvm.gif

wPayBfn.gif

In scanning the KSU alcohol policy, it looks like they have the beer vendor indemnify the university for liability. I presume this is related to over pouring, etc. That seems like a logic first step.

I see what you mean, but now I'm just having fun with it!

616506_10100586508853623_1913569247_o.0.jpg

zrcvm.gif

wPayBfn.gif
Yep. You can count me among the last in a position to disapprove of a bit of inebriation in Martin. Football Saturdays in Martin should be like a huge party and what party is complete without a bit of ethanol? A moderate loosening of one's normal inhibitions is a good thing on those occasions. More fun for the fans and potentially more money for the school. What's not to like? Just, as others have commented, keep the "drunken misbehavior" to a reasonable level and we're good.

Yep. You can count me among the last in a position to disapprove of a bit of inebriation in Martin. Football Saturdays in Martin should be like a huge party and what party is complete without a bit of ethanol? A moderate loosening of one's normal inhibitions is a good thing on those occasions. More fun for the fans and potentially more money for the school. What's not to like? Just, as others have commented, keep the "drunken misbehavior" to a reasonable level and we're good.
While I don't see a real problem with the selling of alcohol, I wish they'd be looking more deeply into the tail-gating atmosphere and how to foster that at a higher level. Seems like they pretend there isn't anything they can do. Have Butch come around every once in a while and that's about it. Cripes, I've been to games in the mid-west where they have concerts with local bands, beer gardens, etc. etc.

Crappy little rodeo's in Newport WA or Royal City WA have fostered this kind of atmosphere more than our sports programs, specifically the football. Vendors up the Wazzu (pun intended, just for fun ;)), concerts, light shows, bon-fires…

What is holding us back from having a REAL tailgating community? The atmosphere created prior to the game sure does bleed into game time.

While I don't see a real problem with the selling of alcohol, I wish they'd be looking more deeply into the tail-gating atmosphere and how to foster that at a higher level. Seems like they pretend there isn't anything they can do. Have Butch come around every once in a while and that's about it. Cripes, I've been to games in the mid-west where they have concerts with local bands, beer gardens, etc. etc.

Crappy little rodeo's in Newport WA or Royal City WA have fostered this kind of atmosphere more than our sports programs, specifically the football. Vendors up the Wazzu (pun intended, just for fun ;)), concerts, light shows, bon-fires…

What is holding us back from having a REAL tailgating community? The atmosphere created prior to the game sure does bleed into game time.

Newport Rodeo?? With a queen like this- http://newportrodeo.weebly.com/our-queen.html They'd better be GIVING beer away.

Reactions: CPtheCoug
Newport Rodeo?? With a queen like this- http://newportrodeo.weebly.com/our-queen.html They'd better be GIVING beer away.
And yet somehow they can pull off the vendors, they can pull off a beer garden, they can pull off the bonfires… And we have a Mascot that runs around…

Now to be clear, I'm not bashing WSU for what they've done. The family area is great. The parade of the band is cool. The players coming off the bus to touch the bronze Butch, very nice touch. I'm just saying, it's so odd that something as small as rodeo can do so much but somehow WSU football either can't (but then I'd ask why, if a County can… meaning a government entity) or won't. Can Moos, whom prides himself in being a "cattle rancher" not have gone to a rodeo in his entire life and not thought, "Hey, they have a beer garden… Hey they have fireworks… Hey, they have vendors… Wonder how they manage the insurance? Wonder how they work the government aspect on this? Wonder if we could model WSU the same way?"

Even just the bull riding (meaning not a full rodeo but a "jackpot" style rodeo that only has Bullriding) has an incredible "pre-game" show.

Now the PBR video you see above is for a live crowd of MAYBE 10K… They have harnessed, they have leveraged, something that our football program has clearly not. TV ratings? I guarantee we have more than any given PBR bull riding jackpot.

-Another example within NCAA football. The Baylor thing a few years ago was impressive, which I went to this specific one. Have a friend in Waco. Not a fan of the singer but he was great entertainment.

http://www2.baylor.edu/baylorproud/2015/08/brad-paisley-to-headline-traditions-rally-2015/

Read the description "details". It was impressive… And organized. This doesn't even include some of the normal stuff they do. It was days of entertainment, not just a couple hours prior to kickoff. They kept the students involved. They kept the various "levels" of "fund members" active, engaged. They kept the average joker active and engaged.

I've typed a lot but not to emphasize or that I'm going off the rails, here. Strictly giving examples. It's just a head scratcher when you look at smaller events (like rodeo) doing more or why it seems we hold back on other things like synchronizing a concert with Opening Weekend in order to boost butts in seats…

I like the Baylor rally concept. Student activity fees could get a decent headliner.

I like the Baylor rally concept. Student activity fees could get a decent headliner.
And it insures the concert gets as many people in as possible. Haven't been to a concert at Pullman for decades but if they are having trouble selling them out, this would INSURE they were doing all they could to fill seats for BOTH events.
EDIT: I didn't really conclude my thought… By advancing both sides of this and filling seats at both venues as much as possible, you could work that "headliner" a bit more. A step up from what they are getting now, maybe?

Last edited:
Anything end up going into the old Dupus Boomers location? I liked that place, but assume it was just too steep to be in that location.

Last I was in Pullman, I think it was some crappy cafeteria style thing.

Anything end up going into the old Dupus Boomers location? I liked that place, but assume it was just too steep to be in that location.

Last I was in Pullman, I think it was some crappy cafeteria style thing.

It's like a student coffee/snacks/studying area last time I visited Pullman. What a shame, that was a great place to down a few brewskis after finishing my finals...

There are a zillion things WSU could do to make Pullman a weekend destination. They either won't do it, don't know how or generally have given up.

If it were me.... Mooberry field would be sold as tailgating. WSU provides the space, tent, beer/booze, food and entertainment... You show up with friends and have a great time. When you're done, leave. WSU cleans it all up. You write a check.

Friday night concert in the stadium. Pack it. Top notch act. Pick it up and clean it up all night long. Give people a reason to show up Friday and stay Saturday.

Friday night concert series gives you a second chance at selling season tickets. Buy season tickets for the ballgame, upgrade to season tickets for the concert series, upgrade for season tickets for your tailgate spot on Mooberry field....

Manufacture a way to get people there for the whole weekend and give them an opportunity to spend their money. Create a way for WSU fans to show each other who is more Coug. lol

I'd have no issues copying what already works. People will drive for hours and wait in line for hours to go see music at the Gorge. Why not Pullman? And if the weather gets bad? Move it indoors at Beasley.

WSU needs to create a reason for people to make Pullman a weekend vacation. More than a ballgame. It's a Kenny Chesney concert too.

WSU needs to create a reason for students to get excited. Always keep them guessing what artist is coming the next year. Give recent graduates a reason to come back in their 20's.

WSU needs to create a buzz with potential students. Prospective students don't just choose a school based on degree programs or the football team. They choose lifestyle too. You want WSU to be a destination on the West Coast? Watch admissions counselors and coaches leave LA with students and athletes once they know Jay Z will be performing.

You wanna beat Oregon but don't have $1 billion for facilities? Get Jay Z. Get Kenny Chesney. Get Pearl Jam. Start paying high end music acts to come to Pullman, sell out the venue, watch social media go berzerk with kids spreading the gospel of Coug. You really wanna see it blow up? Find a way to get Swedish House Mafia on stage.

Make Pullman the destination for all things cool. An oasis in a wheat field that is the hottest campus on the West Coast.

There are a zillion things WSU could do to make Pullman a weekend destination. They either won't do it, don't know how or generally have given up.

If it were me.... Mooberry field would be sold as tailgating. WSU provides the space, tent, beer/booze, food and entertainment... You show up with friends and have a great time. When you're done, leave. WSU cleans it all up. You write a check.

Friday night concert in the stadium. Pack it. Top notch act. Pick it up and clean it up all night long. Give people a reason to show up Friday and stay Saturday.

Friday night concert series gives you a second chance at selling season tickets. Buy season tickets for the ballgame, upgrade to season tickets for the concert series, upgrade for season tickets for your tailgate spot on Mooberry field....

Manufacture a way to get people there for the whole weekend and give them an opportunity to spend their money. Create a way for WSU fans to show each other who is more Coug. lol

I'd have no issues copying what already works. People will drive for hours and wait in line for hours to go see music at the Gorge. Why not Pullman? And if the weather gets bad? Move it indoors at Beasley.

WSU needs to create a reason for people to make Pullman a weekend vacation. More than a ballgame. It's a Kenny Chesney concert too.

WSU needs to create a reason for students to get excited. Always keep them guessing what artist is coming the next year. Give recent graduates a reason to come back in their 20's.

WSU needs to create a buzz with potential students. Prospective students don't just choose a school based on degree programs or the football team. They choose lifestyle too. You want WSU to be a destination on the West Coast? Watch admissions counselors and coaches leave LA with students and athletes once they know Jay Z will be performing.

You wanna beat Oregon but don't have $1 billion for facilities? Get Jay Z. Get Kenny Chesney. Get Pearl Jam. Start paying high end music acts to come to Pullman, sell out the venue, watch social media go berzerk with kids spreading the gospel of Coug. You really wanna see it blow up? Find a way to get Swedish House Mafia on stage.

Make Pullman the destination for all things cool. An oasis in a wheat field that is the hottest campus on the West Coast.
The one thing about making an analogy between The Gorge and Pullman is the obvious. The Amphitheater is like non other. Also, to be able to camp on the site… to be able to walk out your tent and watch a concert, watch an epic sunset or sunrise, to look out and see one of the most powerful rivers… is pretty spectacular.

So to make in that kind of destination… to take what I put up and take it to even the NEXT level and more analogous to The Gorge… How much property is around Pullman? Cripes… find a nature "gulch" and start forming it to look like a natural amphitheater. Out towards the airport or towards the golf area? Man, that would incredible. Only political problem within WSU? To take business away from Beasley would make that concept a non-starter… But if Beasley was part owner (or whole, I wouldn't give a rip) in the amphitheater, would allow "good weather" concerts to be outside, "bad weather" concerts to be inside… Have an area just for vendors, be able to mold the land to the necessities of such a venue but with an eye of making it "all Pullman"… The vision would be an easy sell, IMHO.

Agree with everything Biggs suggests. WSU athletics has shown they don't have the bandwidth or expertise to handle event promotions or create a festival like weekend fan experience. Many of us have been talking about this for year. It appears that WSU is fine with the status quo...which means they are accepting our attendance and financial deficit.

We could easily create a new amphitheater like venue out near the airport (northwest) that could support concerts, camping in a weekend like festival setting. The venue could be multi-purpose in use with a fair amount of the "infield" could be used for soccer and other sporting events. Frankly Pullman, and the economy, could benefit from soccer tournaments in the summer. "A kick and camp" classic where you play soccer and have team camp sites nearby. Try and make Pullman a destination town.

We are talking 6 concerts on Friday nights during the school year. You don't need Live Nation to promote these.

The one thing about making an analogy between The Gorge and Pullman is the obvious. The Amphitheater is like non other. Also, to be able to camp on the site… to be able to walk out your tent and watch a concert, watch an epic sunset or sunrise, to look out and see one of the most powerful rivers… is pretty spectacular.

So to make in that kind of destination… to take what I put up and take it to even the NEXT level and more analogous to The Gorge… How much property is around Pullman? Cripes… find a nature "gulch" and start forming it to look like a natural amphitheater. Out towards the airport or towards the golf area? Man, that would incredible. Only political problem within WSU? To take business away from Beasley would make that concept a non-starter… But if Beasley was part owner (or whole, I wouldn't give a rip) in the amphitheater, would allow "good weather" concerts to be outside, "bad weather" concerts to be inside… Have an area just for vendors, be able to mold the land to the necessities of such a venue but with an eye of making it "all Pullman"… The vision would be an easy sell, IMHO.

If there were no artist at the Gorge no one would go. WSU has two facilities they can use for concerts. There is no reason to build one.

Agree with everything Biggs suggests. WSU athletics has shown they don't have the bandwidth or expertise to handle event promotions or create a festival like weekend fan experience. Many of us have been talking about this for year. It appears that WSU is fine with the status quo...which means they are accepting our attendance and financial deficit.

We could easily create a new amphitheater like venue out near the airport (northwest) that could support concerts, camping in a weekend like festival setting. The venue could be multi-purpose in use with a fair amount of the "infield" could be used for soccer and other sporting events. Frankly Pullman, and the economy, could benefit from soccer tournaments in the summer. "A kick and camp" classic where you play soccer and have team camp sites nearby. Try and make Pullman a destination town.

We are talking 6 concerts on Friday nights during the school year. You don't need Live Nation to promote these.
Yep. The inevitable question from the nay-sayers will be, "WSU isn't in the business of 'festivals' or 'entertainment'." Yet we have football, basketball, soccer, volleyball, baseball, etc. etc…. Its a dumb comment but it WILL happen. Whether it's the town or WSU, they have to start thinking about making Pullman/WSU some sort of destination. And with "stuff" to do that is flexible about the school season vs. when the students are gone. How many restaurants go under every year because they can't make it through the summer lull.

And with every idea, also comes the "how are we going to pay for it" comments, as well. Even on this site, there are those that feel WSU has stretched itself out too much financially. And these kinds of ideas WILL cost some serious money. But it's investment and honestly I think an easier sell that upgrading Martin, or upgrading Bobo-Brayton or Beasley or whatever. Because it doesn't matter how the football, basketball, soccer, baseball, volleyball teams are doing. Having "stuff" to do while in Pullman will increase travelers to town for the games, matches, or sets. That helps the town in every facet and it helps WSU's exposure and ticket sales.

Someone just has to have the cajones to do it, battle the politics of it all, and ultimately find the money for it. You know… the easy stuff. ;)

If there were no artist at the Gorge no one would go. WSU has two facilities they can use for concerts. There is no reason to build one.
But if the Gorge was a concrete dome, no one would go, either. Certainly the artists that The Gorge attracts are attracted because of the kind of venue. You would not be getting Dave Matthews to go to a concrete dome year after year, time after time. Its the sum. I was just saying to make such an analogy with The Gorge would require WSU to do something like that. And while it would be the more expensive, certainly. My knee-jerk reaction is, I also think it would have the best payoff, as well.

WSU struggles with wanting to be more then "just enough." WSU has hired too many people that haven't been to other schools that KNOW what they're doing. There is value in learning what to do and value in learning what not to do. WSU has hired too many people that know what not to do, then they don't act to make things better.

Oregon State is installing a 13,000 square foot beer garden this summer. WSU is missing the boat on this one. They are making it "upscale" it sounds. Not the beer garden of old but nice, "Yuppy" style stuff. This would be huge in Pullman.

http://footballscoop.com/news/oregon-state-adding-beer-garden-stadium-fall/

This strengthens my point that WSU has no idea what it's doing. How do you have a school that lost its #1 ranking in Playboy as the best party school in the nation because they wouldn't rank professionals with amateurs.... Only to miss the boat entirely on making money off those alums years down the road.

If the people want beer, sell it to them. Of all places, how did WSU miss this???

While I agree, I have to point out that the state of Washington isn't big on personal responsibility.
True. But one can always hope. My dad called it the "Soviet of Washington".....and that was about 45 years ago

For those that didn't continue through the article I linked to, here's the video for it. This is a GREAT, GREAT idea.

EDIT: and to add to the concept of "staying local", I have a friend that has a VERY nice "micro-distillery". Part of the concept behind that label (via state law) is, a majority of the "contents" or bill, has to come from the Washington State agriculture. Meaning the corn, the wheat, the 6-row, the rye… HAS to come from Washington State. I'm not as familiar with the Brewing side. But certainly Washington has it's share of Wineries where the grapes are WA grown… Hint, hint for Double Back!!! aka Drew Bledsoe!

And for those that aren't aware, there is a micro distillery out by the airport (they are in the process of moving across the street from Dissmores) called Cougar Red Distillery. GREAT place, local and family owned. You can taste test a small shot of their offerings and then you can buy a bottle or 2! Might want to swing in on some Friday or Saturday to support the locals? There is also a distillery in the Seattle area (Gig Harbor) that I believe are Cougs, as well. Heritage Distilling. GREAT Bourbon. Might be wrong on them being Cougs but either way… great booze. Alright… my soap box is done. Aaaaaand happy drinking! :D:p

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT