ADVERTISEMENT

Larry Scott strikes again

Observer11

Hall Of Fame
Dec 20, 2002
Had to switch from Fubo streaming TV to YoutubeTV yesterday in order to catch all the NCAA tournament games. No TBS/TNT/Tru on Fubo.

No Pac 12 Network on youtubetv. ACC, SEC, Big 10, no problem.

How the F does a conference headquartered IN downtown San Francisco not have a deal with a company located 13 miles away?!?!

Unreal. Larry Scott - The gift that keeps on giving. Or not.

Idiot.

Who wants to pay to broadcast a proven sinking ship like the P12N? Larry, certainly screwed up by holding out for more money, early. He overvalued the product he was selling. But now, the numbers are in, we can't give the programming away.

Who wants to pay to broadcast a proven sinking ship like the P12N? Larry, certainly screwed up by holding out for more money, early. He overvalued the product he was selling. But now, the numbers are in, we can't give the programming away.
chicken and egg.

viewership is obviously down b/c no one can access the damn channel, even if they want to. the lack of an ala carte subscription for streaming is just another notch in Larry's legacy of loserdom.

Last edited:
Had to switch from Fubo streaming TV to YoutubeTV yesterday in order to catch all the NCAA tournament games. No TBS/TNT/Tru on Fubo.

No Pac 12 Network on youtubetv. ACC, SEC, Big 10, no problem.

How the F does a conference headquartered IN downtown San Francisco not have a deal with a company located 13 miles away?!?!

Unreal. Larry Scott - The gift that keeps on giving. Or not.

Idiot.
This has been the most infuriating thing for me. Forget the officiating, everything else. Restricting exposure to your product is the dumbest move in marketing. He’s a complete fraud.

This has been the most infuriating thing for me. Forget the officiating, everything else. Restricting exposure to your product is the dumbest move in marketing. He’s a complete fraud.

Sometimes these clowns get too hung up on 'brand' and convince themselves something is worth more than it's worth. yes, I'm looking at you, Mr. Moos.

Something is worth what someone is willing to pay for it. Airlines know this and adjust their pricing accordingly so their seats are optimized. It does absolutely no good to 'hold the brand' as each day goes by with empty seats. Once that inventory is gone, it's gone - it's now worth $0.

So between Larry Scott being an f'ing idiot and 10 years of no naming rights....REALLY, how much cash money did WSU miss out on in the interest of 'the brand'?

Can't pay the bills with brand. More cash is better. Always. Suck them in with discounted crack and ratchet up the price over time. Chun may have finally figured it out with the Gesa deal.

Sometimes these clowns get too hung up on 'brand' and convince themselves something is worth more than it's worth. yes, I'm looking at you, Mr. Moos.

Something is worth what someone is willing to pay for it. Airlines know this and adjust their pricing accordingly so their seats are optimized. It does absolutely no good to 'hold the brand' as each day goes by with empty seats. Once that inventory is gone, it's gone - it's now worth $0.

So between Larry Scott being an f'ing idiot and 10 years of no naming rights....REALLY, how much cash money did WSU miss out on in the interest of 'the brand'?

Can't pay the bills with brand. More cash is better. Always. Suck them in with discounted crack and ratchet up the price over time. Chun may have finally figured it out with the Gesa deal.

I will guess $40-$50 million over that time, with 80 percent of it being the failure of the Pac-12 Networks.

chicken and egg.

viewership is obviously down b/c no one can access the damn channel, even if they want to. the lack of an ala carte subscription for streaming is just another notch in Larry's legacy of loserdom.

It is the egg or the egg situation. Pac-12 network ratings were dreadful, so AT&T, Direct TV and U-verse played hardball and wouldn't renew without a major reduction in broadcast rights fees. If the P12Ns were in high demand, every outlet would have us on, like the SEC cause they couldn't afford not too.

It is the egg or the egg situation. Pac-12 network ratings were dreadful, so AT&T, Direct TV and U-verse played hardball and wouldn't renew without a major reduction in broadcast rights fees. If the P12Ns were in high demand, every outlet would have us on, like the SEC cause they couldn't afford not too.

This also further devalues the product, and gives smaller carriers more negotiating power. Next Cox and Comcast will want fee reductions, and it's more likely the conference will have to agree just to keep the subscribers.

Frankly, there's just not enough content that anyone wants to watch, especially when they try to maintain regional networks. You can only show so many top ten lists (although they've tried hard to prove that's not true). They've also limited access too much - there should be a streaming PPV option available through every team's website, with centralized revenue of course.

Letting Fox - or someone who knows how to run a sports network - run it is really the best idea.

The other piece on say a Fox running it, is they will have leverage to schedule OOC games with other conferences to help create a draw.

My guess is if the Universities want more cash, than they will have to let go of scheduling of OOC games to a degree.

The other piece on say a Fox running it, is they will have leverage to schedule OOC games with other conferences to help create a draw.

My guess is if the Universities want more cash, than they will have to let go of scheduling of OOC games to a degree.
Have to be careful about that. Fox would have no hesitation to line up OOC games with the perennial powers in pursuit of viewers....with no regard to whether there was any chance of winning. Giving them too much control could mean a constant stream of bodybag games.

WSU should offer a streaming service for their games themselves and the money goes back into the school (after paying the camera men of course) and just use the radio show as the play by play with it.

I'd pay for that to watch any live game going on no matter the sport. Maybe it's not financially viable but it sure sounds good on paper to me.

Reactions: 79COUG
Sling with Sports pack that includes P12 network is like $60 a month and then i bought an HD antenna for $30 to pick up local channels (ABC, CBS, NBC, etc.)

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT