ADVERTISEMENT

Last man standing

roses04

Hall Of Fame
Oct 4, 2003
Now that the Pac 12 has been eliminated from the NCAA tournament, the only Pac 12 team with a game, or two left is WSU. Granted it's not the NCAA tournament, but it is still interesting to find WSU still playing when the rest are done. It would have been nice to make the NCAA's this year, but in hindsight, Playing 4 or 5 games in the NIT, may benefit this team more than a first round exit in the NCAAs

Reactions: justinbgocougs
I believe the NIT is giving them confidence and valuable tournament experience which will pay huge dividends next year. The NIT may not be the NCAA tournament but it’s a great experience for a building program like WSU.

I believe the NIT is giving them confidence and valuable tournament experience which will pay huge dividends next year. The NIT may not be the NCAA tournament but it’s a great experience for a building program like WSU.
It is showing them how close they are to breaking through. No reason to abandon ship.

I don't remember who posted that very same thing BEFORE the conference tournament, but I disagreed at the time and thought it was better for recruiting and status to be in the NCAA tournament even if it was one-and-done. Now I think differently given how things have played out. The opportunity to play good teams on the road (SMU, BYU) and beat them convincingly has to pay out some long term dividends. Of course, another couple of wins in NYC would be even better!

Glad Cougar

NCAA tourney is still what you want. You want that chance. Like St Peter's or oregon state last year. Maybe you get bounced in the first round but I'll take my chances vs being a higher seed in a consolation tourney. Not saying the NIT is not fun or good for the team but imagine if they squeaked in the NCAA and won a game or two. How much confidence would that instill. Or even losing in the 1st round a taste would leave them hungry for more. A taste of the tournament is better that being the best in the #2 tournament but that's just my opinion.

Reactions: Coug1990
I'm a big fan of the NIT. Given where the Cougs would have been seeded in the NCAA, it would be one and done. Playing the first game at home got their mojo back, and now we are seeing the team we were expecting all year. There is so much more value in putting together a run like this towards building for the future.

Reactions: bogusto
I'm a big fan of the NIT. Given where the Cougs would have been seeded in the NCAA, it would be one and done. Playing the first game at home got their mojo back, and now we are seeing the team we were expecting all year. There is so much more value in putting together a run like this towards building for the future.
But you don't know it would be one and done. Thays my point. St Peter's Miami etc. That's just this year. Countless in past years too

Well I am a Fan of the NCAA and of the NIT. And the opportunity for hoop players, coaches, and staff to get to both NYC and Madison Square Garden is unique.

Reactions: 78Chief
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT