ADVERTISEMENT

Last night was not Dickert's best...he reminded me of Doba when it came to game management decisions.

CougEd

Hall Of Fame
Dec 22, 2002
I remember probably in 05 playing Stanford at home it was late in the game and we were down. And it was like 4th and 5 and he sent out the punt team to fake a punt. You could hear the Stanford players yelling ...watch the fake. Yeah, not sure you try that one against the smartest team in the country.

The second quarter 4th and 11...why not try and pin them back and make them drive 90 yards with the back up qb.

Why with 5 minutes left do you on sides kick. Why call time out so early after they gained 7 yards on first down. You knew there as a good chance they were going to get the first down with such a big gain on first.

In terms of the offense...please for those stop with the cabinet being full from Leach recruits. I know he got 5 kids every year on that line, but 4-6 of the lineman left, and Dickert moved their best guard to left tackle, and probably a very functional guard at right guard to right tackle. There is a talent and depth issue that can be traced back three years, and to ryan and Lucas leaving along with Beresford and Greene. So we have had 3 lineman playing out of position.

The defense gives up way too many 3rd and 15's. I think they really miss Mark Banker. He always has done a great job with the secondary's wherever he coached.

Also, is the waggle, bootleg really that hard to defend. The dline hasn't got pressure on top level teams. And rewind the tape. Watch Quinn Roff stand next to their lineman. He looked like a junior high player. And there were two plays I remember where he was thrown around like a rag doll.

Offense- I have never seen a play caller be successful with a bad line. Look at the Cougs first TD, their DT pushed Stephenson five yards into the back field. Hilburn never gets any push. I think their new RT will be ok. If you want to fix the oline go after Oregon State's oline coach and move McGuire to TE coach.

The receivers seem to be off. It reminds me of the UW last year. They could use Mike Levenseller to take a peek at them and help out the WR coach in the off season.

A couple of take aways...When you have that amount of turnover on the oline, people playing new positions you over thought it. It was like when Sasaki for the mariners got hurt they put Jeff Nelson in the closer role. The entire bullpen which was very effective all of a sudden was not. They need help up front. I would like to see Kingston move back to guard. Same with fafita. It would be nice to have some a semblance of a pocket.

Maybe they need to rethink who the qb coach is. and how well the wr's are getting coaches.

Finally, we lost to 4 teams in the top 25. Last night if we have a crowd I am not sure Utah wins. They had a marginal pass interference call on Lee which led to one score, a perfect ball on a 30 plus yards for another score , and a muffed punt and the targeting call on Jackson. Just some small stuff that went against us and that is the difference between finishing and not finishing.

"Why call time out so early after they gained 7 yards on first down. You knew there as a good chance they were going to get the first down with such a big gain on first."

I agree with just about everything you wrote. Very disappointing decision making by the coaching staff last night. However, to be accurate, Dickert did not call a time out after Utah gained 7 yards on first down. Go back and look at the play-by-play. After the stupid pooch/onside/whatever the hell that was....Utah's Glover ran for 4 yards on first down, ran for 7 yards on second down which gained them another first down. Then he ran for 1 yard after which Dickert called the first WSU timeout at the 3:14 mark. That was the right thing to do (about the only right thing the coaching staff did all night). Glover ran for no gain on second down and Dickert called timeout #2. Then on 3rd and 9, Utah completed the comeback pass that was initially ruled short of another first down but then corrected. Glover ran for 1 yard on first down after that and timeout #3 was called.

Plenty of things to fault the coaches for last night,....the use of the timeouts near the end of the game was not one of them.

Glad Cougar

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT