ADVERTISEMENT

Les Miles fired at KU

Flatlandcoug

Hall Of Fame
Aug 14, 2007
Wichita, Kansas
As much as we are worried about the upcoming season......thank god we aren't the University of Kansas. They just announced that they were firing Les Miles based on allegations from his time at LSU. They owe him as much as $8 million and they've gone 21-108 since 2009. What a freaking disaster.

As much as we are worried about the upcoming season......thank god we aren't the University of Kansas. They just announced that they were firing Les Miles based on allegations from his time at LSU. They owe him as much as $8 million and they've gone 21-108 since 2009. What a freaking disaster.
Oof. His record was better than the previous two guys too! Les Miles and Kevin Sumlin...why you don’t hire SEC retreads. Good luck UCF!

I'm not really up on it outside of hearing that he did some stuff with the ladies down at LSU. Was he suffer consequences of his actions from LSU for what he did there? If so, should he continue to be sanctioned? When do people get the opportunity to prove they've changed?

That being said... he sounds like a scumbag, and if I had the choice to cancel his contract I probably would, but $8MM might make me think twice for sure.

I'm not really up on it outside of hearing that he did some stuff with the ladies down at LSU. Was he suffer consequences of his actions from LSU for what he did there? If so, should he continue to be sanctioned? When do people get the opportunity to prove they've changed?

That being said... he sounds like a scumbag, and if I had the choice to cancel his contract I probably would, but $8MM might make me think twice for sure.
String of bad hires for them. I forgot it was Mangini who won them the Orange Bowl but then there was stuff about player abuse that forced him out. Always figured Weiss would be a failure there too. Trying to think of a circumstance where a tier 2/3 school goes out and hires a retread who was at an elite program previously and it worked out well.

Since Les Miles couldnt get it done at KU, KU will likely never get it done.

KU getting Les Miles, was even better then getting Leach, from a pure coaching, X's and O's, recruiting, coaching success accomplishments.

That would be like WSU getting Saban, Bowden, Urban, Les Miles, etc, and still getting only 0,1,2,3,4 wins per season.

If Leach, Saban, Bowden, Urban, Les Miles, etc, cant get it done at places like WSU, KU, then those places are dead, and can stick a fork in it.

KU has been this bad for about 50 to 100 years. Even Saban cant help their program, and would still get only 0,1,2,3,4 wins per year, every year, no matter what.

Their football program is beyond redemption.

They should just either cancel their football program, be a basketball only school, or they should move down from the P5 to the Mid Major Level, or they should just only pay $350k a year for the HC, and jusr minimize football spending, pack it in, up, put a sack over their heads in embarassment.

From what I've seen here, part of the outrage with Miles is the fact that he has never suffered any real accountability for being a scumbag. Of course, he was a low level scumbag who didn't sleep with students, he just joked that he was interested if they were. What made him truly bad was that he allowed his players to sexually assault fellow students and the program would provide cover for them. LSU and he parted ways three years after the accusations, but those accusations were pretty much swept under the rug for those three years and then he landed a job on TV. Did that for a couple years and then was hired by KU. He may be a changed man, but he hasn't done anything publicly to prove it....or even acknowledge that change needed to be made.

I picked the wrong profession.

It's truly insane what they guys are paid and then paid again to go away and then get paid again when they resurface somewhere else because of what they did at the place that made them go away....

This makes no sense at all to me. Surely Kansas did some vetting on Miles prior to his hire. Even a basic Google search would have exposed his problems at LSU. The allegations have been public for some time. Now they are paying 8 million because of prior incidents that they were aware of, or should have been aware of. Forget Miles. They should be looking into dismissing the AD who put them in this predicament in the first place.

This makes no sense at all to me. Surely Kansas did some vetting on Miles prior to his hire. Even a basic Google search would have exposed his problems at LSU. The allegations have been public for some time. Now they are paying 8 million because of prior incidents that they were aware of, or should have been aware of. Forget Miles. They should be looking into dismissing the AD who put them in this predicament in the first place.

Forget Miles, and Forget the AD both, as KU should just either:

1. Quit football.

2. Go to a mid major conference in football

3. Be a only basketball school

4. Just pay a College Football HC about 500k a year.

5. Then fire the AD, and President both.

KU's football program has been beyond redemption for about 65 to 75 to 85 years now.

If Les Miles cant get it done there, then even Saban probably not get it done there either.

FWIW, they announced late yesterday that he agreed to leave for "only" $2 million. Still pretty good bank for Miles considering the situation. On your point about vetting, the situation is pretty damned laughable. The KU athletic department issued a press release saying that during their interview with Miles, they asked if there was anything in his past that might embarrass the university. He said, "Nope" and they said, "Cool, bro, we trust you".

Reactions: earldacoug
I know nothing about Les Miles, but bad behavior by people doesn’t surprise me in any profession. If he harassed young women, then he got what he deserved.

With that said, I’m also a defender of men’s rights in these situations as well. I’d like to know specifically what he did. I’m a 53 year old single guy, and while I don’t have the desire (or the game) to date much younger women, what if I did?

Really curious to learn what he did. Again, if he was being a creepster or a stalker, I’m glad he got the boot. It’s just that I can also envision a scenario where young, female LSU fans were, shall we say, initiating the flirtation.

I know nothing about Les Miles, but bad behavior by people doesn’t surprise me in any profession. If he harassed young women, then he got what he deserved.

With that said, I’m also a defender of men’s rights in these situations as well. I’d like to know specifically what he did. I’m a 53 year old single guy, and while I don’t have the desire (or the game) to date much younger women, what if I did?

Really curious to learn what he did. Again, if he was being a creepster or a stalker, I’m glad he got the boot. It’s just that I can also envision a scenario where young, female LSU fans were, shall we say, initiating the flirtation.

I'm under the impression that Miles was more of the flirtatious, pat 'em on the ass, kind of guy. What makes these situations gross is that many of the women absolutely knew what kind of man that Les Miles was, but they would take jobs that exposed them to the "abuse" anyway. It gets messy when you have people volunteering to be sexually harassed because they feel it's their only way to get ahead. Who's the villain? The married old dudes grab-assing on co-eds, or the system that encouraged that behavior?

What makes it truly mind bending is when you think about the even older generation. My grandfather was the absolute epitome of everything being vilified today. He was super handsy, overly flirtatious, and likely guilty of every "sexual harassment" abuse that you can imagine. That said, when I'd watch him interact with women at restaurants, they ate that sh!t up. They'd rub their boobs on him, hug right up against him, and play along in search of a bigger tip. It sucks when the victims are encouraging the "crime" because it was just part of the system that they were in.

It's hard to feel sorry for Les Miles when you read the following from his Wikipedia page: "The investigation determined that his behavior was inappropriate, although it did not find that he had sexual relationships with any of the women. As a result of the investigation, LSU issued a letter of reprimand to Miles, forbade him from hiring student employees to babysit, and prohibited him from being alone with students."

It's pretty bad when LSU decided that it had to put in writing that they couldn't trust him to be alone with young women.

Forget Miles, and Forget the AD both, as KU should just either:

3. Be a only basketball school
At first I thought you were just being cheeky with your post. Then I thought of Gonzaga...

I'm under the impression that Miles was more of the flirtatious, pat 'em on the ass, kind of guy. What makes these situations gross is that many of the women absolutely knew what kind of man that Les Miles was, but they would take jobs that exposed them to the "abuse" anyway. It gets messy when you have people volunteering to be sexually harassed because they feel it's their only way to get ahead. Who's the villain? The married old dudes grab-assing on co-eds, or the system that encouraged that behavior?

What makes it truly mind bending is when you think about the even older generation. My grandfather was the absolute epitome of everything being vilified today. He was super handsy, overly flirtatious, and likely guilty of every "sexual harassment" abuse that you can imagine. That said, when I'd watch him interact with women at restaurants, they ate that sh!t up. They'd rub their boobs on him, hug right up against him, and play along in search of a bigger tip. It sucks when the victims are encouraging the "crime" because it was just part of the system that they were in.

It's hard to feel sorry for Les Miles when you read the following from his Wikipedia page: "The investigation determined that his behavior was inappropriate, although it did not find that he had sexual relationships with any of the women. As a result of the investigation, LSU issued a letter of reprimand to Miles, forbade him from hiring student employees to babysit, and prohibited him from being alone with students."

It's pretty bad when LSU decided that it had to put in writing that they couldn't trust him to be alone with young women.

That sums up my feelings on the matter as well. I don't feel sorry for Miles whatsoever. I would hedge my bets that he's guilty of using truck-stop pick up lines and comments towards women all the time. On the other hand, I've also worked in medical sales for 20+ years where I routinely witness female reps get drunk and hang all over the managers. They sit on laps, make inappropriate comments, invite them back to their hotel rooms.

As times have changed, it seems to me that going after sleazeball men has become commonplace (thankfully), but in the process of doing so, we've failed to recognize the role women often times play in certain situations. No, I'm not talking about rape, or the ridiculous notion that women "invite" rape with their behaviors. I'm speaking about the large subset of women who knowingly, willingly, and wantonly pursue encounters with celebrities. Then, after the fact, the men get brought to justice for inappropriate flirtation or getting handsy, and the woman, who was sitting on his lap, grinding him on the dance floor, and openly soliciting him, is portrayed as the damsel in the encounter.

Is it wrong that my takeaway is that I'm eating at the wrong restaurants? 😀

I would think that KU has a "bad behavior" clause that would void the financial obligation. It would be dumb not

What say ye attorneys?

That sums up my feelings on the matter as well. I don't feel sorry for Miles whatsoever. I would hedge my bets that he's guilty of using truck-stop pick up lines and comments towards women all the time. On the other hand, I've also worked in medical sales for 20+ years where I routinely witness female reps get drunk and hang all over the managers. They sit on laps, make inappropriate comments, invite them back to their hotel rooms.

As times have changed, it seems to me that going after sleazeball men has become commonplace (thankfully), but in the process of doing so, we've failed to recognize the role women often times play in certain situations. No, I'm not talking about rape, or the ridiculous notion that women "invite" rape with their behaviors. I'm speaking about the large subset of women who knowingly, willingly, and wantonly pursue encounters with celebrities. Then, after the fact, the men get brought to justice for inappropriate flirtation or getting handsy, and the woman, who was sitting on his lap, grinding him on the dance floor, and openly soliciting him, is portrayed as the damsel in the encounter.
A lot of this. Sure no means no but maybe it’s not a great idea to invite Mike Tyson into your room at 2am?
There’s plenty of scumbags in the world and Les sounds like he’s one of them but there’s a helluva lot of opportunistic women out there too chasing money, fame, whatever.

credit USA Today:
"
According to the investigation report, which replaces references to Miles’ name with “XXX,” Miles became more “hands on” about matters in the athletic department after leading LSU to the national title, “including the student employees.” The report says that Miles was involved in both recruiting and interviewing female student employees in 2012, and made it known they should have a certain “look. (attractive, blond, fit.)”

“He also made their supervisors feel that existing student employees who did not meet this criteria should be given fewer hours or terminated.”

But Miles’ interest in some employees extended beyond their hiring, according to women interviewed by the investigators. The student workers who reported Miles said he offered to help them get jobs in the industry, telling one she might be able to work for him “on his personal business” after graduation.

One worker, who is referred to as Student No. 2, along with her father, reported Miles to the student’s supervisor, LSU director of football recruiting Sharon Lewis in February 2013. Miles had started sending her Facebook messages, the woman told investigators.

The student and Miles exchanged phone numbers and met up later, driving around in Miles’ car as he complimented her appearance, suggested they go to a hotel and then kissing her twice, the student said.

Miles told the investigator the purpose of this meeting was to “talk with her more about her career aspirations and to tell her about a sports agent he had seen on a recent trip.” He admitted driving her alone in his car but denied kissing her.

While the investigator could not make a determination of what happened, she criticized Miles’ behavior.

“However, there can be little doubt that the conduct, if true, is inappropriate and unacceptable,” the report says. “Even accepting XXX’s version of events, it appears that he has shown poor judgment in placing himself (and the student employee) in a situation in which the student employee might be uncomfortable and/or he can be subject to such complaint.”

Prior to Student No. 2’s complaint, another student worker, referred to as Student No. 1, reported in the summer of 2012 that she had a phone call and other interactions with Miles that made her uncomfortable. The student said she became concerned when Miles had asked her to babysit his children, but then changed his plans and asked her to join them to go watch a movie.

This student had also stayed at Miles’ condo one night, at Miles’ wife’s suggestion, the report says.

The report also says that Student No. 1 told Student No. 2 that Miles had “cornered” and touched her, but she denied this during her interview with the investigator. Student No. 2 maintained that Miles had subjected her to “unwanted touching.”

As a result of Student No. 1’s concerns, Alleva met with Miles and barred him from having any one-on-one meetings or interactions with student employees, and from texting or calling them. The athletic department also conducted various sexual harassment trainings, and Miles was told that student employees could not babysit for him.

The report says Miles also texted at least one other former student employee using a personal phone that LSU had no knowledge of or way to monitor. The student said she wasn’t uncomfortable with it, though she found it unusual. The investigator found it “troubling,” she wrote, that other department employees addressed the situation by telling the student to ignore the texts; the employees “implied that others had similar experiences,” the report says.

The investigator wrote that she interviewed other students and supervisors, but not every student working with Student No. 2, so as not to jeopardize her confidentiality and because she “did not have any indication that any other student employee has had a similar experience.” LSU also did not have other similar complaints against Miles, the investigator said.

Still, investigators said remedial steps should be taken to address Miles’ “problematic behaviors.” This included a written directive prohibiting him from having one-to-one contact with student employees and requiring him to use his LSU-issued cell phone for communication with employees. She also recommended Miles attend counseling “to help him understand how to establish appropriate boundaries with students and student employees.”

LSU ordered Miles to turn over a list of all the phone numbers he owned.

Miles’ attorneys were “very reluctant” that there be any documentation of the investigation or its findings.

“However, because past attempts to sensitize XXX to the consequences of his behavior have been unsuccessful, we recommend that there be such a written directive,” the investigator wrote. "

Look, I'm not going to say he wasn't playing with fire, but 80% of what was reported is literally nothing. "He called and texted the student" - nothing inappropriate, nothing sexual. He invited the babysitter to go out WITH THE FAMILY to the movies...??? That's what we're crucifying him for?

That being said, I have my doubts about the absolute veracity of LSU's report. I'm not sure if they have the power or clout to silence someone if that someone wanted to make sure they were heard, so who knows.

In light of having read this report, I'm not sure if I'm firing him if I'm Kansas - this is very defendable, imho.

The Kansas AD was fired for not properly vetting the situation.

The LSU AD, on the other hand, recommended to the Univ Pres that Miles be fired, and the Pres decided to over-ride the recommendation. No wonder OSU is looking at that Pres with fresh eyes.

credit USA Today:
"
According to the investigation report, which replaces references to Miles’ name with “XXX,” Miles became more “hands on” about matters in the athletic department after leading LSU to the national title, “including the student employees.” The report says that Miles was involved in both recruiting and interviewing female student employees in 2012, and made it known they should have a certain “look. (attractive, blond, fit.)”

“He also made their supervisors feel that existing student employees who did not meet this criteria should be given fewer hours or terminated.”

But Miles’ interest in some employees extended beyond their hiring, according to women interviewed by the investigators. The student workers who reported Miles said he offered to help them get jobs in the industry, telling one she might be able to work for him “on his personal business” after graduation.

One worker, who is referred to as Student No. 2, along with her father, reported Miles to the student’s supervisor, LSU director of football recruiting Sharon Lewis in February 2013. Miles had started sending her Facebook messages, the woman told investigators.

The student and Miles exchanged phone numbers and met up later, driving around in Miles’ car as he complimented her appearance, suggested they go to a hotel and then kissing her twice, the student said.

Miles told the investigator the purpose of this meeting was to “talk with her more about her career aspirations and to tell her about a sports agent he had seen on a recent trip.” He admitted driving her alone in his car but denied kissing her.

While the investigator could not make a determination of what happened, she criticized Miles’ behavior.

“However, there can be little doubt that the conduct, if true, is inappropriate and unacceptable,” the report says. “Even accepting XXX’s version of events, it appears that he has shown poor judgment in placing himself (and the student employee) in a situation in which the student employee might be uncomfortable and/or he can be subject to such complaint.”

Prior to Student No. 2’s complaint, another student worker, referred to as Student No. 1, reported in the summer of 2012 that she had a phone call and other interactions with Miles that made her uncomfortable. The student said she became concerned when Miles had asked her to babysit his children, but then changed his plans and asked her to join them to go watch a movie.

This student had also stayed at Miles’ condo one night, at Miles’ wife’s suggestion, the report says.

The report also says that Student No. 1 told Student No. 2 that Miles had “cornered” and touched her, but she denied this during her interview with the investigator. Student No. 2 maintained that Miles had subjected her to “unwanted touching.”

As a result of Student No. 1’s concerns, Alleva met with Miles and barred him from having any one-on-one meetings or interactions with student employees, and from texting or calling them. The athletic department also conducted various sexual harassment trainings, and Miles was told that student employees could not babysit for him.

The report says Miles also texted at least one other former student employee using a personal phone that LSU had no knowledge of or way to monitor. The student said she wasn’t uncomfortable with it, though she found it unusual. The investigator found it “troubling,” she wrote, that other department employees addressed the situation by telling the student to ignore the texts; the employees “implied that others had similar experiences,” the report says.

The investigator wrote that she interviewed other students and supervisors, but not every student working with Student No. 2, so as not to jeopardize her confidentiality and because she “did not have any indication that any other student employee has had a similar experience.” LSU also did not have other similar complaints against Miles, the investigator said.

Still, investigators said remedial steps should be taken to address Miles’ “problematic behaviors.” This included a written directive prohibiting him from having one-to-one contact with student employees and requiring him to use his LSU-issued cell phone for communication with employees. She also recommended Miles attend counseling “to help him understand how to establish appropriate boundaries with students and student employees.”

Miles’ attorneys were “very reluctant” that there be any documentation of the investigation or its findings.

“However, because past attempts to sensitize XXX to the consequences of his behavior have been unsuccessful, we recommend that there be such a written directive,” the investigator wrote. "

Look, I'm not going to say he wasn't playing with fire, but 80% of what was reported is literally nothing. "He called and texted the student" - nothing inappropriate, nothing sexual. He invited the babysitter to go out WITH THE FAMILY to the movies...??? That's what we're crucifying him for?

That being said, I have my doubts about the absolute veracity of LSU's report. I'm not sure if they have the power or clout to silence someone if that someone wanted to make sure they were heard, so who knows.

In light of having read this report, I'm not sure if I'm firing him if I'm Kansas - this is very defendable, imho.

So, what exactly is wrong with attractive, blond and fit?

If you piss of the wrong people, "fireable offense" has a broader definition.

I support it for at least 3 reasons.

First, this is just the field rights. The stadium can still be named by others, for more money.

Second, "better late than never". It was generating no revenue from a naming standpoint, now it is generating some revenue.

Third, it gives the impression that something is happening, which from a fundraising momentum perspective is a good thing. What is next? The FOB? The stadium? The west end zone goal posts? There are a lot of things that can be named for the right price.
So, what exactly is wrong with attractive, blond and fit?

If you piss of the wrong people, "fireable offense" has a broader definition.

Gib, you asked what exactly is wrong. Under the circumstances, I'll suggest that may not be the appropriate queston.

If this were a private institution, requiring a particular profile to be hired: "attractive, blond and fit"; is probably not actionable.

At a public university in 2021, it probably is actionable. Would you agree?

The Kansas AD was fired for not properly vetting the situation.

The LSU AD, on the other hand, recommended to the Univ Pres that Miles be fired, and the Pres decided to over-ride the recommendation. No wonder OSU is looking at that Pres with fresh eyes.
Unless I read it wrong or misunderstood, there wasn't anything there to vet - the documents were supposed to be sealed legally. I'm assuming that someone within the LSU AD with an axe to grind leaked the documents, and I would also guess that Miles will have a very large lawsuit to be settled with LSU if that's the case.

credit USA Today:
"

It's all about perspective. I agree with the above comments that often, "victims" are often part of the problem and it sucks to have allegations come up years after the fact that rely only on hearsay. It sucks that men are being judged on things that were done years ago based on today's standards that were probably "acceptable" back in the day.

That said, when I read the information you shared from the report, my takeaway wasn't, "this dude is innocent of any real wrongdoing". My takeaway was that Les Miles is a creepy old dude that I wouldn't want to be alone with my 18 year old daughter. Taking a girl for a ride under false pretenses is disturbing stuff. She's lucky that he's just a low level scumbag rather than a murdering rapist, but he's too close to the wrong end of the spectrum for my liking.

Where it gets tricky is KU firing him for the allegations from 8 years ago. If they haven't had any issues and he's been a model citizen, you have to wonder if he "needed" to be fired. Maybe he actually did learn from his mistakes and is a better man today. That said, it's time for guys to realize that a lot of the crap that used to be okay really isn't okay now and it needs to stop. If some creepy old bastard is "punished" by getting a check for $2 million dollars but it puts out the right message that creepy dudes need to quit creeping, maybe it's for the best.

Gib, you asked what exactly is wrong. Under the circumstances, I'll suggest that may not be the appropriate queston.

If this were a private institution, requiring a particular profile to be hired: "attractive, blond and fit"; is probably not actionable.

At a public university in 2021, it probably is actionable. Would you agree?

I was kidding. He should have included brunettes too.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT