ADVERTISEMENT

Liam Ryan’s coming back

I would think any of the border line potential pros....guys who are on the fringe of being drafted or signed as a FA...would probably come back to improve their draft status next year. Nothing about this season helped anyone on the roster who has professional ambitions, with the exception of Oscar, who has already said goodbye.

Glad Cougar

Reactions: Coug90
I would think any of the border line potential pros....guys who are on the fringe of being drafted or signed as a FA...would probably come back to improve their draft status next year. Nothing about this season helped anyone on the roster who has professional ambitions, with the exception of Oscar, who has already said goodbye.

Glad Cougar
There isnt a single pro on this team outside of Oscar.

The biggest danger any of them face is getting advice from Eric Dickerson.

Reactions: Coug90 and 79COUG
Most years I think it's advantageous to stay in school as long as possible, but this specific year is different. Lots of folks are returning for super senior seasons leaving the competition for an NFL spot less intense than usual. More of an opportunity for someone like Ryan, Watson or Jahad to make it as a pro. Lucas definitely would stick with a team. Assuming these guys have their degrees, will any of them (outside of Lucas) improve their draft stock by sticking around another year?
Woods: no. He has lots of film and is who he is.
Ryan: no.
Watson: no.
Bell: Yes.
Calvin: Yes.
Rogers: No.
McIntosh: Yes but it might not be worth the risk. He's shown what he can do as a back. Borghi's going to eat his reps next year anyway.
Isom: probably.

Again

some of these guys are going to get some difficult conversations I’m betting

the program needs to grow & evolve.

Abe is a pro. Max is a pro. Harris is a pro. There are prob a few others that would be in camps.

You are wrong.
I’d argue it’s more likely Abe makes a roster than Oscar. There are 32 punters and they can play forever meaning only a few spots open every year. Elite pass blocking tackles are hard to come by. Abe is most certainly on a roster when he’s done w college.
Max is likely on a roster too w his skill set, although RB is a tougher position with the abundance of talent at the position every year.

Every player on this team is going to benefit from a full year of tape. If they want to gamble on their future, fine, but those gambles haven't worked out so well for those that left early over the past few years. Herc? X. Cooper? to name a few.

Every player on this team is going to benefit from a full year of tape. If they want to gamble on their future, fine, but those gambles haven't worked out so well for those that left early over the past few years. Herc? X. Cooper? to name a few.

It's less of a gamble this year as the pool of players to be drafted is smaller than it will never be. Staying doesn't always pay off either. See Luke Fall and Gabe Marks.

Good points on all sides here. It's situation-dependent. Falk and Marks weren't going to be NFL players no matter what they did. Very good college players who just don't have what it would take to make it in the NFL. Gabe just wasn't big or fast enough. We all know the deal with Falk.

Hercules could have benefited from an extra year, I think, with the way they were planning to give him run at positions other than DT, and that -- perhaps along with gaining some size and other continued development -- could have gotten him drafted. The main issue there was his injury, in any case. Hopefully he can carve out a career.

For some of these guys who are fringe or unlikely NFL talents, they don't have a lot to gain with another year of college, necessarily, but that last year *could* be what would get them over the hump, or even if not, it's another chance to play football, maybe put in work toward a master's degree, etc. An example here was Williams. One reasonably could argue that there wasn't much more he could have shown in a senior year, and Borghi was there to eat away at his role and reputation. That said, he wasn't going to get drafted or make it in the NFL coming out after his junior year, either. Falk and Marks were in similar positions. Over time, most of our NFL candidates will likely be in this boat, owing to the talent pool we usually are drawing from.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT