ADVERTISEMENT

Look forward to my first Apple Cup ever!

CougFan1980

Recruit
Silver Member
Sep 22, 2021
So way back in 2002, I got accepted into the best best school in the Pacific Northwest Washington State University. From 2003-2005 I attended many home games against the likes Reggie Bush and Matt. Leinart and USC and Stanford, and Arizona but never stayed for an apple Cup in Seattle and Pullman. In 2007, I returned to the Palouse to see Dennis Erickson's Arizona state Sun-Devils against Bill Doba's Coug's! In 2021, it will be my first visit to hostile/vaunted/ and loud Husky Stadium for the Apple Cup. Look forward to meeting Cougar alumni past and present, and witnessing a game in the best setting in college football, and touring the beautiful city of Seattle. Hope for some Northwest hospitality, and look forward to beating the purple pups for the first time in awhile and winning the North/Pac-12 and making the Rosebowl (so I can be there in person to beat Ohio State or get revenge on Michigan). Hope to see you all in Seattle! Go Cougs!

My profile

Los Angeles native
BA, Sociology, Washington State University (2006)
MA, Communication, Drake University (2020)

So way back in 2002, I got accepted into the best best school in the Pacific Northwest Washington State University. From 2003-2005 I attended many home games against the likes Reggie Bush and Matt. Leinart and USC and Stanford, and Arizona but never stayed for an apple Cup in Seattle and Pullman. In 2007, I returned to the Palouse to see Dennis Erickson's Arizona state Sun-Devils against Bill Doba's Coug's! In 2021, it will be my first visit to hostile/vaunted/ and loud Husky Stadium for the Apple Cup. Look forward to meeting Cougar alumni past and present, and witnessing a game in the best setting in college football, and touring the beautiful city of Seattle. Hope for some Northwest hospitality, and look forward to beating the purple pups for the first time in awhile and winning the North/Pac-12 and making the Rosebowl (so I can be there in person to beat Ohio State or get revenge on Michigan). Hope to see you all in Seattle! Go Cougs!

My profile

Los Angeles native
CF1980, welcome to our board!

Reactions: NMBRCRNCHR
So, 1980, you picked a great year.

Mt St Helens blew on May 18; finals were made optional; and I only knew one senior who stayed for finals. The place was a ghost town. My fiance and I were among the seniors who left. I now regret missing graduation, because my parents would have enjoyed it, but back then all I could think about was moving on.

Welcome! I look forward to your posts!

So, 1980, you picked a great year.

Mt St Helens blew on May 18; finals were made optional; and I only knew one senior who stayed for finals. The place was a ghost town. My fiance and I were among the seniors who left. I now regret missing graduation, because my parents would have enjoyed it, but back then all I could think about was moving on.

Welcome! I look forward to your posts!
Ah but you missed telling us the time before you actually left . Hamms , Heidelberg, and every other gross beer.. we would get the notification pretty early in the day and started the next party 😜

Ah but you missed telling us the time before you actually left . Hamms , Heidelberg, and every other gross beer.. we would get the notification pretty early in the day and started the next party 😜
there was no beer after the first three days

My profile

Los Angeles native
You’re the guy we’ve been waiting for the past 9 years. Go turn this thing around for us!
PS…not sure what you know about Seattle but your description of it may lead you to disappointment. Depending on your path to the game, I’d suggest needle-proof footwear and clothing that is stale-urine smell resistant.

You’re the guy we’ve been waiting for the past 9 years. Go turn this thing around for us!
PS…not sure what you know about Seattle but your description of it may lead you to disappointment. Depending on your path to the game, I’d suggest needle-proof footwear and clothing that is stale-urine smell resistant.
This. Daughter and I used to go over there a couple times a year for a little mini vacation lasting 2-3 days She's a farm girl who loved the big city vibe and cultural diversity. 4 years ago was the last time we went. Got tired of dodging human feces on the streets and not feeling safe at night.
Seattle is a shell of what it once was. Very sad.

Reactions: spongeandshoot
This. Daughter and I used to go over there a couple times a year for a little mini vacation lasting 2-3 days She's a farm girl who loved the big city vibe and cultural diversity. 4 years ago was the last time we went. Got tired of dodging human feces on the streets and not feeling safe at night.
There was a documentary made a few years ago about the drug and homeless issues that interviewed community members that had been directly impacted by the lawlessness.

The company that made it has conservative values (not Fox), so of course the whole thing was dismissed as propaganda and an outright lie. Because I'm sure they used actors and CGI to portray what a s-hole Seattle has become... riiiiiiiiiight.

There was a documentary made a few years ago about the drug and homeless issues that interviewed community members that had been directly impacted by the lawlessness.

The company that made it has conservative values (not Fox), so of course the whole thing was dismissed as propaganda and an outright lie. Because I'm sure they used actors and CGI to portray what a s-hole Seattle has become... riiiiiiiiiight.
It is called "Seattle is Dying". Produced by KOMO Seattle. They're an ABC affiliate. Is that the one you're talking about? You're right, it did piss off the local officials over there.
Side note...it was written, produced and narrated by Eric Johnson, Murrow grad and former pitcher for the Cougs. Spokane native. VERY well done piece.

Last edited:
Reactions: SDCoug
It is called "Seattle is Dying". Produced by KOMO Seattle. They're an ABC affiliate. Is that the one you're talking about? You're right, it did piss off the local officials over there.
Side note...it was written, produced and narrated by Eric Johnson, Murrow grad and former pitcher for the Cougs. Spokane native. VERY well done piece.
Yes, but the company that owns KOMO has been labeled a right wing propoganda machine, akin to OAN or Fox News or whatever. I don't really follow that media stuff.

Should be called Seattle is Dead! At least it is to me. After I left for WSU I never considered moving back there. I quit Seattle Apple Cups in 2011. Now my mom lives with us in Montana and I’ll be happy if I never see King County again!

I like going to games there but it’s pretty simple to take I90 to stadium, go to game and then GTFO of there the same way I came.

Thats why I got the F outta dodge

I have seen those arguments...and it is ostrich in the sand syndrome.

It was a very accurate documentary...and they sure didn't use actors.

The person they featured in the doc who spat on police officers in the film created a ruckus behind my apartment building while wearing a chicken suit and the police said they couldn't do anything about it.

Anyhow, he was arrested like 95 times...and last September he murdered his girlfriend in Cal Anderson park by driving nails thru her head.

If they actually prosecuted crime, she would be alive today. He committed suicide by jumping in a tank of bleach in the same park.

His name is Travis Berg in case anyone wants to research this POS

Last edited:
I seriously doubt that Johnson got the order from corporate back East to do a hit piece documentary. KOMO is a tiny sliver of the giant pie that Sinclair Broadcast Group owns.

He was so impressed by the local officials' reactions, and so irritated by the criticisms of "Seattle is Dying" that he did a follow-up, "The Fight for the Soul of Seattle." Also well done, and it lays the issue right at the city council's feet - even naming names and saying who did what. Includes several interviews with people on the Seattle streets who - at least according to them - died of ODs by the time the show aired.

A lot of people criticized and said it was distortions of the truth, but if you walk around Seattle it's pretty easy to see that it's exactly the truth. We took the kids over to the waterfront and Pike's Place in summer 2019, and we won't be back. Walking between the ferry and the marketplace - and via different routes coming & going - we had to step over people passed out on the sidewalks. Needles on the ground, human feces on the stairwell up to the market. Overpowering smells of pot and piss. I carried my daughter most of the way, because I didn't even want her touching the ground. And these aren't even the areas I've heard are bad.

He was so impressed by the local officials' reactions, and so irritated by the criticisms of "Seattle is Dying" that he did a follow-up, "The Fight for the Soul of Seattle." Also well done, and it lays the issue right at the city council's feet - even naming names and saying who did what. Includes several interviews with people on the Seattle streets who - at least according to them - died of ODs by the time the show aired.

A lot of people criticized and said it was distortions of the truth, but if you walk around Seattle it's pretty easy to see that it's exactly the truth. We took the kids over to the waterfront and Pike's Place in summer 2019, and we won't be back. Walking between the ferry and the marketplace - and via different routes coming & going - we had to step over people passed out on the sidewalks. Needles on the ground, human feces on the stairwell up to the market. Overpowering smells of pot and piss. I carried my daughter most of the way, because I didn't even want her touching the ground. And these aren't even the areas I've heard are bad.

They're trying hard to clean up the International District and making progress. However that's about it. Downtown, Queen Anne, Capitol District, outlying high end areas like Medina, etc...all complete shit shows.
And yet the fine folks over there continue to reelect the same people and ideas, year after year. But hey, at least they all consider themselves "woke".

I seriously doubt that Johnson got the order from corporate back East to do a hit piece documentary. KOMO is a tiny sliver of the giant pie that Sinclair Broadcast Group owns.
EJ is a stand up dude.

He speaks the truth.

Reactions: 79COUG
I'm in a major east coast city at the moment. It is NOTHING like West Coast downtowns. NOTHING. Very comfortable to wander around, dining on the street, an occasional pan handler like have been in Spokane and Seattle for the last 75 years.

No encampments, no needles, no feces. Relatively certain there are homeless somewhere but certainly not anywhere I've seen.

Wake up, folks. Vote for someone else. ANYONE else. Or expect it to get way worse before it gets better. See also: Portland.

I was in Chicago last summer. Their downtown was awesome. I’m sure it would have been a different story if I’d wondered into the south side/Gallagerville but was really impressed with the downtown.

I was in Chicago last summer. Their downtown was awesome. I’m sure it would have been a different story if I’d wondered into the south side/Gallagerville but was really impressed with the downtown.
Dallas, San Antonio and Vegas this summer for me. Same story. Except not far off the strip in Vegas was pretty sketchy.

San Jose Costa Rica, which is considered the shithole of a second world country, has nothing on downtown Seattle.

That should be a wakeup call.

If NTK gets elected as city attorney, it's all over. She will make Pete Holmes look like he is tough on crime.

Don't want to add to the hijacking of this thread (and yet here I go), but - having grown up there and not lived there in years - it was interesting to meet people from the other places I lived (GA, MO, NY, CA etc) because many would remark to me what a "clean city" Seattle was. I never thought about it growing up there, but I was like "yeah, I guess it is, now that I get to see how dirty ATL/STL/NYC are by comparison."

Needless to say, nobody says that to me anymore about Seattle. I only overhear 2nd hand tales of people cutting their trips short because it's [increasingly] scary and disgusting.

With that said, welcome to the board 1980 and give 'em hell. Weird to think that Rolo probably has a better chance to beat the Huskies than CML ever gave us...

Dallas, San Antonio and Vegas this summer for me. Same story. Except not far off the strip in Vegas was pretty sketchy.
I was in Vegas in April. The strip was ok, except for the cloud of pot smoke hanging over it, but a half block in either direction (and even toward the south end) was iffy. No poo on the sidewalk, but I wouldn't have been surprised.

Scored my AC tickets today. 20 Yard Line, South Side. Started with CL and ended up at StubHub, who has lots of inventory at all locations. I don't know why I do this every other year?

Every other year I walk out of that stadium saying...why do I keep coming here....? The fun and pre-game tailgates are always a blast, and maybe...just maybe...this will be our year.

Still, better to watch at home on the big screen, in a dry warm environment.....but I always still end up going to Montlake.

If I don't setup a tailgate COUG CANOPY this year, (special parking pass required)..we'll take the train, (which stops right at the Stadium).

Love that the refs invent a PI, but only notice 12 men on the field after the 2pt attempt has failed

These f--ing idiots ostensibly have $$$ on the game

Should be called Seattle is Dead! At least it is to me. After I left for WSU I never considered moving back there. I quit Seattle Apple Cups in 2011. Now my mom lives with us in Montana and I’ll be happy if I never see King County again!
Seattle is dead to me also. I may go around it to places like Sea-Tac, Bellevue or Kirkland but I do not go to Seattle.

Eric Johnson is a straight shooter. Proud Murrow School alum - does journalism the old fashioned way. He cares about the community in which he lives.

He's not a corporate shill.

Reactions: justinbgocougs
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT