ADVERTISEMENT

Looks like Paul Wulff is about to land another 5-star

PeteTheChop

Hall Of Fame
May 25, 2005
A reporter on the Brand X network is reporting Huskies QB Sam Huard (along with one of Washington's receivers) is headed to Cal Poly-SLO to play for CPW in the fall.

Sounds like Coach Wulff is trying to fast-track the rebuild more quickly than when he went 2-11, 1-11, 2-10 and 4-8 after inheriting a bare cupboard at WSU

Last edited:
A reporter on the Brand X network is reporting Huskies QB Sam Huard (along with one Washington's receivers) is headed to Cal Poly-SLO to play for CPW in the fall.

Sounds like Coach Wulff is trying to fast-track the rebuild more quickly than when he went 2-11, 1-11, 2-10 and 4-8 at WSU after inheriting a bare cupboard
Cal Poly has lost its innocence

I have heard, through some circles, that Wulff has significantly grown as a coach post-WSU.

Sam Huard's offensive coordinator is his former HS coach. He's got an opportunity to go down there and throw for a TON of yards and put up crazy numbers.

I'm hoping Wulff has a ton of success in that role. If he can recruit well to Cal Poly - which he should be able to do - I can see a ton of success coming to that program.

I have heard, through some circles, that Wulff has significantly grown as a coach post-WSU.

Sam Huard's offensive coordinator is his former HS coach. He's got an opportunity to go down there and throw for a TON of yards and put up crazy numbers.

I'm hoping Wulff has a ton of success in that role. If he can recruit well to Cal Poly - which he should be able to do - I can see a ton of success coming to that program.
Does this mean he's learned to take a dump before recruiting visits, and pick his nose at home?

Before WSU, he’d coached at 1 school. After WSU, he has prob been with 6 different programs. You learn something at every stop. My guess is he never leaves Cal Poly unless fired.

Reactions: PeteTheChop
Before WSU, he’d coached at 1 school. After WSU, he has prob been with 6 different programs. You learn something at every stop. My guess is he never leaves Cal Poly unless fired.
This. He is undoubtedly better suited to the job now than he was when he came to WSU. And yes, this is a sweet niche for someone who is not aching to move higher. I suspect that he will retire at SLO.

Reactions: PeteTheChop
This. He is undoubtedly better suited to the job now than he was when he came to WSU. And yes, this is a sweet niche for someone who is not aching to move higher. I suspect that he will retire at SLO.
I'm not as much of a Wulff hater as some here. He has had a tragic life. Dad murdered Mom (didn't they finally find her body?), his wife died of cancer. Hard to villianize him after all that, although I did cancel my 20 years of season tickets during his coaching debacle.

One memory that sticks is going to a basketball game one year, and he walks in with his new hot wife - high heels and some sexy outfit - for a BB game. They were riding high back then, when $600K a year was big money. Wonder if he still has her.....

I give him some credit for putting in his dues and learning from his mistakes. He failed at WSU. Pick yourself up, and move on. The taste of success this go around will be much sweeter for him.
Could be a great story of perseverance. The type of stuff I view many Cougars who I have seen as successful.

Hope the best for Wulff as a person; however, let's not conflate the person with the weekly $hitshow he conducted for 4 years. The USC game alone will go down as the all time low point in WSU sports history.

Reactions: BiggsCoug
Could be a great story of perseverance. The type of stuff I view many Cougars who I have seen as successful.

Exactly.

He did his best. it wasn't good enough. Pick yourself up off the ground...dust yourself off...and get back in the game and make the big time where you are (to quote Frosty Westering"

A lot of coaches would do well to take that last piece of advice instead of constantly chasing the big time. I bet Wulff is a lot happier there outside of the pressure cooker and still makes a solid living doing what he loves.

Good for him.

Best college town in the western U.S.? Best in the US?

I'm not as much of a Wulff hater as some here. He has had a tragic life. Dad murdered Mom (didn't they finally find her body?), his wife died of cancer. Hard to villianize him after all that, although I did cancel my 20 years of season tickets during his coaching debacle.

Classy response Loyal.

Mike Leach was an elite coach, but in time CPW could've recruited enough talent and coached 'em up to reach a minor bowl game 2-3 times every 5 years had Mr. Moos not pulled the plug.

That might have been enough for the Jim Waldens of the world, but most fans who saw the Cougs play in two Rose Bowls in a five-year span are not gonna settle for the bar being that "low" so to speak

Classy response Loyal.

Mike Leach was an elite coach, but in time CPW could've recruited enough talent and coached 'em up to reach a minor bowl game 2-3 times every 5 years had Mr. Moos not pulled the plug.

That might have been enough for the Jim Waldens of the world, but most fans who saw the Cougs play in two Rose Bowls in a five-year span are not gonna settle for the bar being that "low" so to speak
If I remember correctly, Walden stated on air with Ian and Puck, that Wulff should not be fired “unless he molested kids”.

Does this mean he's learned to take a dump before recruiting visits, and pick his nose at home?
It should be noted:

That recruit (Spencer Waseem) signed with the Cougs even after CPW's gumbo-induced emergency pitstop at the Waseem family shitter.

So no harm, no foul

Exactly.

He did his best. it wasn't good enough. Pick yourself up off the ground...dust yourself off...and get back in the game and make the big time where you are (to quote Frosty Westering"

A lot of coaches would do well to take that last piece of advice instead of constantly chasing the big time. I bet Wulff is a lot happier there outside of the pressure cooker and still makes a solid living doing what he loves.

Good for him.
So right you are. Fittingly for this conversation, Westering wrote a book, "Make the Big Time Where you Are".

And he did. He coached at Pacific Luthern in Parkland, 1972 from 2003, compiling a career coaching record of 305–96–7 and never had a losing season. Westering led his PLU teams to eight national championships, winning four: three NAIA Division 2 national championships and a NCAA Divion 3 championship. He retired as the ninth winningest coach in college football history. Westering was a recipient of the Alonzo Stagg Award, was named the NCAA Division III Coach of the Year in 1999 and was named NAIA National College Football Coach of the Year in 1983 and 1993. He was inducted into the NAIA Hall of Fame in 1995 and the College Football Hall of Fame in 2005. Westering coached 26 NAIA and NCAA First Team All-Americans including his grandson Chad Johnson who was the recipient of the Gagliardi Trophy which is given to the most outstanding player in Division III college football. In 2019, ESPN ranked Frosty 39th on the list of "150 Greatest Coaches in College Football History."

If I remember correctly, Walden stated on air with Ian and Puck, that Wulff should not be fired “unless he molested kids”.
Walden said a lot of things on air, and a lot of them made no sense. His constant jabbering and homerism even made Bob Rob's show almost intolerable.

One memory that sticks is going to a basketball game one year, and he walks in with his new hot wife - high heels and some sexy outfit - for a BB game. They were riding high back then, when $600K a year was big money. Wonder if he still has her.....
Yes, they found his mom. Turned out she was found ~6 weeks after she went missing, it just took 40 years to identify her.

ESPN story

Best college town in the western U.S.? Best in the US?
Good off topic question!

SLO is in the running, but I also like Pullman. Both are much more similar than different, and true college towns. I've spent a fair amount of time in each, at different times of the year. SLO has the ocean close by; Pullman has mountains & skiing. Pullman has winter and spring slush; SLO has a biting wind that time of the year that is only rivaled by the lower Columbia River areas. Moscow and Sonoma could make a case, though both are a bit more than just a college town. If you are willing to count somewhat larger (50K to 70K-ish) towns as "college towns", then you could make a solid case for Corvallis, Davis and a few others...probably not Logan, though, because although it is somewhat college towny...well...this won't sound PC...but how do you have a legit college town in all senses of the word in Utah? Stanford has argued that the farm is essentially a college town; I don't buy that, but there is a case to be made. Eugene and Boulder are simply too large to have the college town vibe. In some ways Humboldt state ("Cal State Weed") is a college town. You will note that I'm focused on the west. There are a lot of college towns east of the Mississippi, particularly of the liberal arts variety. I've always wanted to visit Faber College....

Good off topic question!

SLO is in the running, but I also like Pullman. Both are much more similar than different, and true college towns. I've spent a fair amount of time in each, at different times of the year. SLO has the ocean close by; Pullman has mountains & skiing. Pullman has winter and spring slush; SLO has a biting wind that time of the year that is only rivaled by the lower Columbia River areas. Moscow and Sonoma could make a case, though both are a bit more than just a college town. If you are willing to count somewhat larger (50K to 70K-ish) towns as "college towns", then you could make a solid case for Corvallis, Davis and a few others...probably not Logan, though, because although it is somewhat college towny...well...this won't sound PC...but how do you have a legit college town in all senses of the word in Utah? Stanford has argued that the farm is essentially a college town; I don't buy that, but there is a case to be made. Eugene and Boulder are simply too large to have the college town vibe. In some ways Humboldt state ("Cal State Weed") is a college town. You will note that I'm focused on the west. There are a lot of college towns east of the Mississippi, particularly of the liberal arts variety. I've always wanted to visit Faber College....
As my disdain for the Ducks has grown, Faber has lost its shine. Coolidge College might be fun though.

So right you are. Fittingly for this conversation, Westering wrote a book, "Make the Big Time Where you Are".

And he did. He coached at Pacific Luthern in Parkland, 1972 from 2003, compiling a career coaching record of 305–96–7 and never had a losing season. Westering led his PLU teams to eight national championships, winning four: three NAIA Division 2 national championships and a NCAA Divion 3 championship. He retired as the ninth winningest coach in college football history. Westering was a recipient of the Alonzo Stagg Award, was named the NCAA Division III Coach of the Year in 1999 and was named NAIA National College Football Coach of the Year in 1983 and 1993. He was inducted into the NAIA Hall of Fame in 1995 and the College Football Hall of Fame in 2005. Westering coached 26 NAIA and NCAA First Team All-Americans including his grandson Chad Johnson who was the recipient of the Gagliardi Trophy which is given to the most outstanding player in Division III college football. In 2019, ESPN ranked Frosty 39th on the list of "150 Greatest Coaches in College Football History."

I received that book as a Christmas present back when I was in school...or shortlly thereafter. I know some folks were planning on making a documentary but I don't think it came to fruition. Someone should step up...I think it would make a heck of a Doc.

Good off topic question!

RE: Faber College. Dean Wormer has retired. However my contact in the administration office told me that even so, you, sir, remain on double secret probation.

Or as the Dean would say it, DOUBLE SECRT PROBATION!!!!!!!

Let's not put the cart before the horse. It was wise to go out hire a HS coach who could bring with him some P5 washouts to relive their glory days from high school. But these guys weren't seeing the field for a reason and the Big Sky has some pretty solid teams every year.

Wulff's bounced around a lot because his teams have lost everywhere he's been. I don't blame him for this as he's usually a low level assistant, but it is telling that he hasn't been able to maneuver himself into a better spot. Wulff's not building a consistent winner at Cal Poly either but he might do enough to land himself a better big. If they are able to go 8-3 next year, Wulff should jump at an decent offer.

Reactions: mikalalas
Wulff's not building a consistent winner at Cal Poly either but he might do enough to land himself a better big. If they are able to go 8-3 next year, Wulff should jump at an decent offer.

Attn: The "Paul Wulff to Cal" train will be leaving the station

Supposedly he clogged the toilet and used a his pants and underwear to mop up and then stuck it under the sink. Then excused himself immediately from the home

Well at least he didn't use the missus' favorite white towels

Last edited:
He left an upper decker is the real rumor.
Lol. What I really heard is he asked to use their bathroom and they said something like there’s one upstairs or one right there (near the kitchen), and he went in a blew it up loud enough they could hear it. Then he came out and ate multiple more bowls of gumbo. And in some weird way they found his forward act of shitting welcoming and inclusive. Thus sealing Waseem to WSU.

Lol. What I really heard is he asked to use their bathroom and they said something like there’s one upstairs or one right there (near the kitchen), and he went in a blew it up loud enough they could hear it. Then he came out and ate multiple more bowls of gumbo. And in some weird way they found his forward act of shitting welcoming and inclusive. Thus sealing Waseem to WSU.

I am sure in some cultures that is a sign of respect for the food and the hospitality. I'll risk blowing up a host's bathroom for some good gumbo

Exactly.

Good for him.
There's a little Leonard Cohen in you Sponge. Not bad!

Reactions: spongeandshoot
Supposedly he clogged the toilet and used a his pants and underwear to mop up and then stuck it under the sink. Then excused himself immediately from the home
Sounds like a f'n nightmare!!! OMG!. Worse than being the only naked person in the high school halls nightmare.....MUCH worse! OK, next question...what did he wear out of the house?

Reactions: kougkurt
Good off topic question!

Sir, I've been to Pullman. I know Pullman. Pullman has always been a friend of mine. Corvallis is no Pullman.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT