ADVERTISEMENT

Lumen Field....brings up a curiosity

ttowncoug

Hall Of Fame
Sep 9, 2001
I read that Century link (now rebrand as Lumen Technologies) is paying a little under $12M annually through 2033 for naming rights.

Anyone in the know, or any reports, of what we are trying to fetch for Martin Stadium?

I read that Century link (now rebrand as Lumen Technologies) is paying a little under $12M annually through 2033 for naming rights.

Anyone in the know, or any reports, of what we are trying to fetch for Martin Stadium?
If I had the power, I would change the name to Cougar Stadium.

Here is some knowledge-
The stadium is named after Clarence D. Martin (1886–1955), the governor of the state of Washington (1933–41), a former mayor of Cheney and graduate of the University of Washington. His son, Dan (Clarence D. Martin, Jr., 1916–1976),[12] made a $250,000 donation to the project in January 1972 under the stipulation that the stadium be named after his father.[13][14][15] Additional gifts were continued by Dan's widow, Charlotte Martin; $250,000 in 1978 and $150,000 in 1979.[16][17], (Source Wikipedia)

I was at the game in 1979 when Charlotte made her last gift. They rolled her out in a convertible onto the field. Rumor was that they had a hard time tracking down the Martins, who reportedly had all moved to Utah. Supposedly they weren't super thrilled about having to continue to chip in, given that none of them were Cougs. I don't know if any of this is true. In my mind, Charlotte looked exactly like the rich lady on Gilligan's Island.

For what its worth, last I heard the lowest tier of naming rights at Stanford, for just an academic building, is $10M, and that only lasts for 10 years.

Last edited:
Here is some knowledge-
The stadium is named after Clarence D. Martin (1886–1955), the governor of the state of Washington (1933–41), a former mayor of Cheney and graduate of the University of Washington. His son, Dan (Clarence D. Martin, Jr., 1916–1976),[12] made a $250,000 donation to the project in January 1972 under the stipulation that the stadium be named after his father.[13][14][15] Additional gifts were continued by Dan's widow, Charlotte Martin; $250,000 in 1978 and $150,000 in 1979.[16][17], (Source Wikipedia)

I was at the game in 1979 when Charlotte made her last gift. The rolled her out in a convertible onto the field. Rumor was that they had a hard time tracking down the Martins, who reportedly had all moved to Utah. Supposedly they weren't super thrilled about having to continue to chip in, given that none of them were Cougs. I don't know if any of this is true. In my mind, Charlotte looked exactly like the rich lady on Gilligan's Island.

For what its worth, last I heard the lowest tier of naming rights at Stanford, for just an academic building, is $10M, and that only lasts for 10 years.

It’s time to move on.

I will up my bid to $50.

Here is some knowledge-

I was at the game in 1979 when Charlotte made her last gift. They rolled her out in a convertible onto the field. Rumor was that they had a hard time tracking down the Martins, who reportedly had all moved to Utah. Supposedly they weren't super thrilled about having to continue to chip in, given that none of them were Cougs. I don't know if any of this is true. In my mind, Charlotte looked exactly like the rich lady on Gilligan's Island.

Wow. Another reminder that I am old. I remember the convertible on the field...though I could not have told you in which year it happened.

Biggs, I'll go $100.

I don't know if any of this is true. In my mind, Charlotte Martin looked exactly like the rich lady on Gilligan's Island.

Lovey_Howell.jpg

Good call C.O.

My grandpa most definitely loved him some Lovey.

Where did you hear she relocated to Utah?

Everything I've seen indicated she lived her final years on a back lot in Studio City, Calif.

Lovey_Howell.jpg

Good call C.O.

My grandpa most definitely loved him some Lovey.

Everything I've seen indicated she lived her final years on a back lot in Studio City, Calif.
If Grandpa loved Lovey Howell, he probably liked Dixy Lee Ray.

Reactions: 79COUG
My God man...that's just cruel... though actually, I enjoyed ol' Dixie, Quite the character...
Yeah, not the worst or best governor in retrospect (better than Spellman, Lowry, Gregoire, and Inslee).

She was saddled with literal racketeers as House Speaker (Bagnariol) and Senate Majority Leader (Walgren). And the Seattle machine came after her hard.

I was a Pullman kid and one of my friend's mom worked in President Terrell's office. We would hear all sorts of rumors, probably some of them true. It just stuck with me all of these years that we are forever honoring the memory of a totally forgettable governor with no ties to WSU, and his family didn't even live in Washington anymore (assuming this was true). It was also pretty memorable because it was the first game after they sunk the level of the field and brought the seats right up to the sidelines by getting rid of the track. Everyone was so astounded by this brilliant design- the 8th wonder of the world!

All kidding aside, we really could do better. Even if we can't get a big corporate sponsor, we could raise money for naming rights to honor someone who really made a contribution to the school or the state. Wouldn't be surprised if they could raise a few mil to honor Bob Rob.

I was a Pullman kid and one of my friend's mom worked in President Terrell's office. We would hear all sorts of rumors, probably some of them true. It just stuck with me all of these years that we are forever honoring the memory of a totally forgettable governor with no ties to WSU, and his family didn't even live in Washington anymore (assuming this was true). It was also pretty memorable because it was the first game after they sunk the level of the field and brought the seats right up to the sidelines by getting rid of the track. Everyone was so astounded by this brilliant design- the 8th wonder of the world!

All kidding aside, we really could do better. Even if we can't get a big corporate sponsor, we could raise money for naming rights to honor someone who really made a contribution to the school or the state. Wouldn't be surprised if they could raise a few mil to honor Bob Rob.
It really should be Tim Leary stadium, because some of the stuff I’ve seen there had to have been the result of a bad trip.

Reactions: 79COUG and ATACFD
95, I don't care who you are, that's funny!

You have me thinking...we need to find a clever way to tie in three Cougs...Leary, Lawrence Peter and Gary Larson...with the stadium. A lot of material with which to work, between the three. Perhaps a hallucination about the Far Side of one's level of incompetence? It's late...

Much like an airline seat, once the flight leaves you can never sell that seat again.

Moos set the price target too high and then couldn't sell the first class seat. For years. Value is whatever someone is willing to pay for it.

Instead he could have been selling economy class for years on end, pay a few bill and then ratchet it up over time.

Chun is making the same mistake. Empty planes taking off don't make money. Lock in a short term deal and generate some $$$.

Much like an airline seat, once the flight leaves you can never sell that seat again.

Moos set the price target too high and then couldn't sell the first class seat. For years. Value is whatever someone is willing to pay for it.

Instead he could have been selling economy class for years on end, pay a few bill and then ratchet it up over time.

Chun is making the same mistake. Empty planes taking off don't make money. Lock in a short term deal and generate some $$$.
Disagree

The two naming rights deals for the Seattle baseball stadium (Safeco and T-Mobile) are laughably bad and below market.

Both set in good economies.

Corporate community in PNW (save Nike since it is their business) isn't crazy about sports.

Disagree

The two naming rights deals for the Seattle baseball stadium (Safeco and T-Mobile) are laughably bad and below market.

Both set in good economies.

Corporate community in PNW (save Nike since it is their business) isn't crazy about sports.

Quick finance lesson:

$1 > $0

Yeah, not the worst or best governor in retrospect (better than Spellman, Lowry, Gregoire, and Inslee).

She was saddled with literal racketeers as House Speaker (Bagnariol) and Senate Majority Leader (Walgren). And the Seattle machine came after her hard.

Dixy Lee Ray was a Democrat governor who was threatened by Gordon Walgren as Gordon was becoming the most powerful Democrat (if not politician) in the state. Dixy was afraid Walgren would run against her in the next election.

Dixy Lee Ray was the sole person behind the Washington State Patrol wiretapping Walgren’s phones resulting in Gordon later being charged with some type of interstate racketeering. The exact extend of his crime was receiving a phone call from someone (maybe Bagneriol) who was in Portland.

The only thing Gordon Walgren was ever guilty of was listening to anyone who wanted to talk to him about anything. I am not a democrat or into butt kissing any politicians but the state of Washington would be better off today if Gordon would have served the state in Olympia in lieu of tending a garden in Lompoc.

Quick finance lesson:

$1 > $0

Observer is correct, they should have made the best deal they could 10 years ago and take the money. Then up it as best you can. Prior to Covid we had an amazing economy and that was the time to get a stadium deal done. Instead they got zero, notta !!The market dictates what businesses will pay. Businesses are telling Wazzu they want too much.

Reactions: Observer11
95, I don't care who you are, that's funny!

You have me thinking...we need to find a clever way to tie in three Cougs...Leary, Lawrence Peter and Gary Larson...with the stadium. A lot of material with which to work, between the three. Perhaps a hallucination about the Far Side of one's level of incompetence? It's late...
Throw in Dolph Lundgren too. If you trip hard enough, maybe he’ll look like a good actor.

I'd give a discount to a national (multi) brand that would generate a buzz and name recognition.

Nike Field...or nicknamed "the swoosh"....

On the broadcast, "we are in Pullman tonight at the SWOOSH, to watch the Cougars take on cross state rivals the huskies in the Apple Cup."

Reactions: cr8zyncalif
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT