ADVERTISEMENT

Macintyre

May have jumped the gun on this one. Mac's leaving the Buffs far more competitive than when he found them. More transition years for the Cougs to feast on. It'd probably take 2 years for any new coach to start pushing them up again. Or the new guy may bomb and get canned after 3 years.

May have jumped the gun on this one. Mac's leaving the Buffs far more competitive than when he found them. More transition years for the Cougs to feast on. It'd probably take 2 years for any new coach to start pushing them up again. Or the new guy may bomb and get canned after 3 years.

Yeah, I was a bit surprised at this. I thought he'd get at least another year. While it's true Mac's only great season was 2 years ago, it's not like CO has been a storied program the last couple decades. Embree, Hawkins etc were busts over all. Barnett did Ok but not great. I have a friend who lives in Boulder and says some people still reminisce a lot about the McCartney years and have those expectations still.

That Oregon State comeback was pretty ugly for CO though.

That Oregon State comeback was pretty ugly for CO though.

It's not always whether or not you win or lose, but how. This team is headed for 7 straight losses largely because they haven't been unable to finish games. Inexcusable in my book. The Oregon St loss was the worst loss any Pac-12 team has taken this year. These type of losses, in year 6 for a coach who has only had one good season, are the kind of things that get you fired.

His record is 46-64. He's not going to build a consistent winner in Boulder. Time for the school to move on. The next guy might be worse, but they can do better than MacIntyre and his one winning season in 6 years.

How does CU get better? Is the school supporting the team to a level of 5 wins or more?

Some of these schools are hiring guys that are only gonna go so far. Then they bring in someone new. That guy does about the same and then it’s time to fire him.

If Im hiring for CU I want a guy with different schemes teams dont see everyday. I want a guy that can go into Texas and get kids. Im running the option or taking Wisconsin’s blueprint.

Even them screwing up on Max Borgh's recruiting, and then Max going on to have a great year as a true freshman at WSU surely pissed off a lot of Colorado backers. Add in his Max's good game and our easy win against them and that probably pissed many off even more.

I mean we get upset when we lose a kid from Spokane going to another school. Max grew up 10 minutes from the Buff's campus, and he wanted to be a Buff. Imagine how many pissed off Cougs there would be if we were in the same situation as Colorado, and we screwed up on some great recruit out of Pullman HS. This forum would be going off.

Even them screwing up on Max Borgh's recruiting, and then Max going on to have a great year as a true freshman at WSU surely pissed off a lot of Colorado backers. Add in his Max's good game and our easy win against them and that probably pissed many off even more.

I mean we get upset when we lose a kid from Spokane going to another school. Max grew up 10 minutes from the Buff's campus, and he wanted to be a Buff. Imagine how many pissed off Cougs there would be if we were in the same situation as Colorado, and we screwed up on some great recruit out of Pullman HS. This forum would be going off.

I can name 2 from PHS.

There's not too much crossover here. Their 4 stars weren't even offered by WSU. I don't see it and have some sympathy for Mac.

I do too. He took over a program that was in as bad a shape as WSU was when Leach took over. CU isn't exactly the center of the football universe. And it's not out of the question CU could win one or two more and get back to a bowl.

I guess expectations must have been higher.

I can name 2 from PHS.

Borghi was committed to Colorado, they recruited more RB's, and then wanted Borghi to switch to WR.

My memory is escaping me on similar scenarios with Pullman kids. I can remember a couple that didn't pan out in college though.

McIntyre was doomed when this streak started even though he didn't know it. On the comment about Colorado not being good in the last 20 years, that's not 100% accurate. They won the Big 12 North in 2001, 2002, 2004 & 2005. Some of those weren't "great" teams, but they won their division. They had a bad stretch from 2006 to 2015, but they were at least decent from 1998 to 2005 and they went to seven bowl games between 1998 and 2007.

Looking longer term, from 1955 to 2005, the Buffaloes only had 14 losing seasons, they won the conference six times and their division another four times. They were in the Top 25 eighteen times. They are delusional if they think that it means that they are entitled to 10+ win seasons every year (I'm looking at you Husky fans) but they should be able to put together 7-8 win seasons most years with an occasional chance to grab the brass ring. When you look at their good coaches, they have always been competitive after their 4th season and two straight losing seasons and only one winning season in six years isn't good enough.

The suggestion that Colorado needed to give McIntyre more time borders on the same level of desperation as those people who thought that Wulff deserved a fifth season. "We aren't going to get someone better for us in the long term so let's hope it works out" isn't the way to be relevant. This could certainly backfire on Colorado and they might regret the decision, but when I watched the game in person on Saturday, I saw a team that was losing because they just didn't care as much as our guys did. I saw 5000+ empty seats being declared as occupied in their official attendance tally. I saw a fanbase that wasn't even angry about the loss, because they pretty much expected it. He's losing fans in the same way that Wulff did, the difference is that CU is ripping the band-aid off now rather than waiting.

Personally, I think that they should have let him play out the string and see if they could get into a bowl game and squeeze out a 7-6 final record, but the big picture was obviously not working out for McIntyre already and I can see why they made the move. Imagine WSU having a losing season in 2015 instead of that 9-4 finish. Most WSU fans would have been ready for Leach to be fired. If McIntyre had been a better coach and not lost to OSU and Arizona, he would have a job at CU at the end of the season. Instead, the expectation is a 7 game losing streak and that should never be acceptable for any sixth year coach.

Coaching instability is good for recruiting at the mid to lower level it expands our pool. Helton getting canned next (virtual certainty) probably won't effect us (unless Swann goes after Leach). The fact that Tedford is out there at Fresno State is concerning. He won at Cal, a very tough job, and Colorado is probably easier to win at. He has also turned two 1-10 D1 programs around in one off season and her would have a experienced QB in Montez and possibly Shenault back, so you could expect a much improved Buff team next season considering that Montez is a better passing QB than McMaryion out of the box.

Coaching instability is good for recruiting at the mid to lower level it expands our pool. Helton getting canned next (virtual certainty) probably won't effect us (unless Swann goes after Leach). The fact that Tedford is out there at Fresno State is concerning. He won at Cal, a very tough job, and Colorado is probably easier to win at. He has also turned two 1-10 D1 programs around in one off season and her would have a experienced QB in Montez and possibly Shenault back, so you could expect a much improved Buff team next season considering that Montez is a better passing QB than McMaryion out of the box.

Tedford at CU would be a concern without a doubt. I don't think he makes CU into a juggernaut, but he's the kind of guy to get CU to 7-8 wins every year with an occasional run at the top....meaning that every trip to Boulder would be a tough one. We started losing to Cal every year about the time he showed up.

True or not, Shannon Ogden just did damage to CU's recruiting class.

Ok, name them please. And John Elway doesn't count.

I wouldnt name them without permission. Im sure if you did a lil homework you would find 2 small town kids that went on to start at 2 diff schools. 1 in the Pac 10 and the other in the Mtn West. Both great guys and ball players.

Why keep him around for 2 more weeks?

I understand letting him coach out the year and maybe become bowl eligible. What I don't understand is making the announcement now. They've got Utah at home on senior day this weekend, and then they play at Cal.

This is the type of situation that makes ADs look terrible. Firing a guy who had you in the P12 championship game 2 years ago, and someone who is regarded to be a really good person with 2 weeks left in the season? And now there are reports of "wait a minute, this might not be true."

Terrible business etiquette. The season is over in 2 weeks. It didn't need to go down like this.

Last edited:
McIntyre was doomed when this streak started even though he didn't know it. On the comment about Colorado not being good in the last 20 years, that's not 100% accurate. They won the Big 12 North in 2001, 2002, 2004 & 2005. Some of those weren't "great" teams, but they won their division. They had a bad stretch from 2006 to 2015, but they were at least decent from 1998 to 2005 and they went to seven bowl games between 1998 and 2007.

Looking longer term, from 1955 to 2005, the Buffaloes only had 14 losing seasons, they won the conference six times and their division another four times. They were in the Top 25 eighteen times. They are delusional if they think that it means that they are entitled to 10+ win seasons every year (I'm looking at you Husky fans) but they should be able to put together 7-8 win seasons most years with an occasional chance to grab the brass ring. When you look at their good coaches, they have always been competitive after their 4th season and two straight losing seasons and only one winning season in six years isn't good enough.

The suggestion that Colorado needed to give McIntyre more time borders on the same level of desperation as those people who thought that Wulff deserved a fifth season. "We aren't going to get someone better for us in the long term so let's hope it works out" isn't the way to be relevant. This could certainly backfire on Colorado and they might regret the decision, but when I watched the game in person on Saturday, I saw a team that was losing because they just didn't care as much as our guys did. I saw 5000+ empty seats being declared as occupied in their official attendance tally. I saw a fanbase that wasn't even angry about the loss, because they pretty much expected it. He's losing fans in the same way that Wulff did, the difference is that CU is ripping the band-aid off now rather than waiting.

Personally, I think that they should have let him play out the string and see if they could get into a bowl game and squeeze out a 7-6 final record, but the big picture was obviously not working out for McIntyre already and I can see why they made the move. Imagine WSU having a losing season in 2015 instead of that 9-4 finish. Most WSU fans would have been ready for Leach to be fired. If McIntyre had been a better coach and not lost to OSU and Arizona, he would have a job at CU at the end of the season. Instead, the expectation is a 7 game losing streak and that should never be acceptable for any sixth year coach.
He won the south two years ago Colorado cracks me up. And when they were good under McCartney they had the LA pipeline and had a troubled program . Speaking of which Rae Carruth just got out of prison after 18 years for planning to kill his girlfriend .

I understand letting him coach out the year and maybe become bowl eligible. What I don't understand is making the announcement now. They've got Utah at home on senior day this weekend, and then they play at Cal.

This is the type of situation that makes ADs look terrible. Firing a guy who had you in the P12 championship game 2 years ago, and someone who regarded to be a really good person, with 2 weeks left in the season? And now there are reports of "wait a minute, this might not be true."

Terrible business etiquette. The season is over in 2 weeks. It didn't need to go down like this.

As I said above, the nature of the five game streak has made this decision pretty easy, but I agree that there's very little upside (if any) in firing him a couple weeks before the season is done.

He won the south two years ago Colorado cracks me up. And when they were good under McCartney they had the LA pipeline and had a troubled program . Speaking of which Rae Carruth just got out of prison after 18 years for planning to kill his girlfriend .

MCMW, baby! (more criminals = more wins).

He's had one winning season in 6 years. That gets you fired almost anywhere. Even Mike Price had winning records in 3 of his first 6 seasons and he's probably the most inconsistent successful coach I've seen .

46-64 in 6 years. Better than 9-40, but he still needed to go.

He had an offer from WSU as a DE. Originally verballed to Utah as a TE then flipped to Cal. Cal has moved him to DE (duh!) which was his supposed reason for not going to WSU.

He's had one winning season in 6 years. That gets you fired almost anywhere. Even Mike Price had winning records in 3 of his first 6 seasons and he's probably the most inconsistent successful coach I've seen .

46-64 in 6 years. Better than 9-40, but he still needed to go.
And how have they been since 2005? How did the Eric Bienemy experiment work out? Sometimes it is better to work through the toughest of times. I don't think you go to a championship game without knowing how to coach.

If the last two recruiting classes have been bad to horrible then you do pull the trigger.

As I said above, the nature of the five game streak has made this decision pretty easy, but I agree that there's very little upside (if any) in firing him a couple weeks before the season is done.

There is huge upside. Gives them a two week advantage to lock up their next coach. Les Miles has a pretty good tack record.

Didn't Trent Bray, the OSU linebacker go to Pullman HS? He was All Conference and is now coaching at OSU.

Good call, I forgot about Bray. He played very well against us too. Here's a good article that I just found explaining Bray's decision: http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2004/oct/21/bray-leading-beavers-defense/

In short, Bray was committed to the Cougs, but his father Craig Bray (a Coug assistant at the time under Doba) then accpeted a job at OSU and Trent followed him.

I guess I forgot that Wulff won a division title in his time at WSU.... And that Wulff won 20 games in four seasons....

Anyone concerned CU might make a run at Claeys?

No. Clayes did not ask to become a HC. It fell in his lap at Minnesota. Kind of like Doba at WSU. And he unfortunately fumbled the one big controversy while as HC, and ended up getting fired for it. I don;t see him ever wanting to be a HC again, but I do see him staying with CML whether here or elsewhere.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT