ADVERTISEMENT

Madison fans are the worst... right?

BleedCrimsonandGray

Hall Of Fame
Oct 2, 2007
Its been a while, so lets define what makes bad fans.

My experience for road cfb games covers the following teams: Zona, ASU, Kal, Furd, UW, Oregon, Beavs, UCLA, Buffs (pre P12), Wolfpack. Most of the P12 stadiums I have visited are more than once.

The only fans I found to be truly assholes were Oregon, simply because it went beyond taunting/ hazing to physical assault with food and coins and escalated to shoving, after which Eugene PD joined in and removed US from the stands. By the way, this was from more than just 1 fan - there were several who joined in and the rest of the section was cheering them on. This was a one time experience close to 20 years ago, so I'd like to think that ticket prices combined with them having even more bandwagon fans would translate to a more docile environment, but I've never felt inclined to find out.

Boorish fans are just part of the experience - an large group of (probably drunk) students seated next to the visitor section at Kal kept chanting "take off that red shirt" at some Cougs at one game. One guy at Fusky stadium managed to howl the entire game - the entire fcking game. No exaggeration - he sounded like a train whistle the entire game, every play, every down. Not only did we get our teeth kicked in (big surprise), but this dood... ugh. The only fans I've had invite me to hang out at their tailgate were UM fans at the Rose Bowl, but I suspect that was because they were taking pity on the lowly Coug fans who's team never stood a chance.

Most of the times we'll run into fans at the bars afterwards and have a pleasant discussion (I've seen a lot of road wins) about the game and try to make nice - "You've got a really good RB there", "you had us scared for a while" "great game down to the end, both teams did great" "we're just lucky to get out of here with a win"... you know, that type of banter.

What's been your experience?

My experience for road cfb games covers the following teams: Zona, ASU, Kal, Furd, UW, Oregon, Beavs, UCLA, Buffs (pre P12), Wolfpack. Most of the P12 stadiums I have visited are more than once.

The only fans I found to be truly assholes were Oregon, simply because it went beyond taunting/ hazing to physical assault with food and coins and escalated to shoving, after which Eugene PD joined in and removed US from the stands. By the way, this was from more than just 1 fan - there were several who joined in and the rest of the section was cheering them on. This was a one time experience close to 20 years ago, so I'd like to think that ticket prices combined with them having even more bandwagon fans would translate to a more docile environment, but I've never felt inclined to find out.

Boorish fans are just part of the experience - an large group of (probably drunk) students seated next to the visitor section at Kal kept chanting "take off that red shirt" at some Cougs at one game. One guy at Fusky stadium managed to howl the entire game - the entire fcking game. No exaggeration - he sounded like a train whistle the entire game, every play, every down. Not only did we get our teeth kicked in (big surprise), but this dood... ugh. The only fans I've had invite me to hang out at their tailgate were UM fans at the Rose Bowl, but I suspect that was because they were taking pity on the lowly Coug fans who's team never stood a chance.

Most of the times we'll run into fans at the bars afterwards and have a pleasant discussion (I've seen a lot of road wins) about the game and try to make nice - "You've got a really good RB there", "you had us scared for a while" "great game down to the end, both teams did great" "we're just lucky to get out of here with a win"... you know, that type of banter.

Nebraska and Auburn were both great. On that Auburn trip (the first one) my buddy and I were able to attend a game at Ole Miss and Miss St because I believe that game was Friday night, and the Ole Miss game vs. Memphis St was the Saturday day game. Walking through the Grove tailgate spot at Mississippi was like nothing I've ever seen. We had our cough gear on and they were all VERY hospitable, offering food and drinks and to hang out.

Oddly I had that happen at Oregon before the game were we kicked their ass 55-16. Surprised me.

Nebraska fans were also very cool and complimentary about our little team and their effort. The Ohio St game was before students really were in town, but we did have one group of students give us a beer from their on campus home prior to the game. We hung out for a bit and tossed the ball around. But afterwards in Hiney Gate (or whatever the hell it was called) their were quite a few assholes, in spite of their convincing victory. That's all I have to say about that.

Nebraska and Auburn were both great. On that Auburn trip (the first one) my buddy and I were able to attend a game at Ole Miss and Miss St because I believe that game was Friday night, and the Ole Miss game vs. Memphis St was the Saturday day game. Walking through the Grove tailgate spot at Mississippi was like nothing I've ever seen. We had our cough gear on and they were all VERY hospitable, offering food and drinks and to hang out.

Oddly I had that happen at Oregon before the game were we kicked their ass 55-16. Surprised me.

Nebraska fans were also very cool and complimentary about our little team and their effort. The Ohio St game was before students really were in town, but we did have one group of students give us a beer from their on campus home prior to the game. We hung out for a bit and tossed the ball around. But afterwards in Hiney Gate (or whatever the hell it was called) their were quite a few assholes, in spite of their convincing victory. That's all I have to say about that.
I think most who attended Auburn have similar stories of a great environment.

Oddly enough, my experience with Oregon fans was at the same game you mention. I suppose the scoreboard had something to do with out treatment, especially since they were on the cover of SI the previous week.

I went to the Wisconsin game in 2007 and did not have a great experience with their fans. Before I say more about that game, I'll provide some backdrop.

I had gone to Auburn the year before and that was an incredible experience where just about every tailgate was welcoming, their fans would ask us to stop and talk about our team, free beer and food, and just an epic experience. If WSU plays Auburn again....go.

Went to Notre Dame in 2003 and it was great. Fans were not as welcoming as Auburn, but still friendly to chat with and generally respectful. It helped that one of our interns was attending Notre Dame and he was a great tour guide for us.

Colorado in 2003? That sucked. Worst fans that I've ever seen. A group of assholes tried to pick a fight with me on Pearl Street after the game because I had a WSU jersey on. This was their battery throwing era...so just a crappy fanbase. Ironically, way friendlier once they joined the Pac-12.

I also went to the Nebraska game in 1995. As mentioned above, friendly enough but they were the most entitled, condescending, arrogant douchebags in terms of how little that they respected our football program. Back in that time, they did know how to make Husky fans look humble and respectful. The last ten years of Nebraska football have been a joy to behold just because it is so much fun to say, "Man, 1995 was great, I bet you guys had more fun when you didn't suck so bad". I actually had a good time overall because I chose to not take the arrogance personally while hanging out with them.

So, the above was my perspective of visiting other stadiums prior to the Badger game. I have friends that live in Madison but have no affiliation to the program so they dropped us off as close to the stadium as they could easily get. Our walk to the stadium was short but we found the Badger fans in that area to be pretty damned cold and unfriendly. Not rude....just viewed us as an FCS squad that was a future notch on their victory list and not worthy of interaction. The seats that my buddy got for the game from the university were among the worst seats I've ever experienced. My back was against the all of their fieldhouse. It was about 175 yards to the back of the other endzone and the heart of the student section was about 700 feet way. "Jump Around" was just a bunch of moving q-tips from our perspective. Students were too busy drinking to show up until the first quarter was almost over. Because it was an OOC game that they expected to win, there was very little energy in the stadium. Just a completely underwhelming experience.

Oregon fans are the worst. Bar none.

I was there for the 55-16 beat down in 2003.

Went to Taylor's the night before and all the Coug fans kept singing the fight song and they tried drowning us out by playing their fight song in the loud speaker...but their fans don't know their the words to their stupid song... So that was funny.

AAnyhow, I had more people try to start a fight there... Had girls elbowing me at the bar... had one guy walk right in front of me in the way out, proecced to spill his own beer on himself... then get in my face and said look what you did.

II just laughed at the dude.

Then another little guy tried startijng sh!t with my buddy.. and this is when Oregon had really small corner backs... and was like what are you.. an Oregon corner back? I spit out my beer.

BBasically was like what the he'll is wrong with you people. We weren't even rivals. As much as I can't stand Husky fans and their entitlement, never had that level of interaction...

WWell, except maybe once when I thought their sink was a trough my first time at Husky Stadium.. but that's neither here nor there 😂

I went to the Wisconsin game in 2007 and did not have a great experience with their fans. Before I say more about that game, I'll provide some backdrop.

I had gone to Auburn the year before and that was an incredible experience where just about every tailgate was welcoming, their fans would ask us to stop and talk about our team, free beer and food, and just an epic experience. If WSU plays Auburn again....go.

Went to Notre Dame in 2003 and it was great. Fans were not as welcoming as Auburn, but still friendly to chat with and generally respectful. It helped that one of our interns was attending Notre Dame and he was a great tour guide for us.

Colorado in 2003? That sucked. Worst fans that I've ever seen. A group of assholes tried to pick a fight with me on Pearl Street after the game because I had a WSU jersey on. This was their battery throwing era...so just a crappy fanbase. Ironically, way friendlier once they joined the Pac-12.

I also went to the Nebraska game in 1995. As mentioned above, friendly enough but they were the most entitled, condescending, arrogant douchebags in terms of how little that they respected our football program. Back in that time, they did know how to make Husky fans look humble and respectful. The last ten years of Nebraska football have been a joy to behold just because it is so much fun to say, "Man, 1995 was great, I bet you guys had more fun when you didn't suck so bad". I actually had a good time overall because I chose to not take the arrogance personally while hanging out with them.

So, the above was my perspective of visiting other stadiums prior to the Badger game. I have friends that live in Madison but have no affiliation to the program so they dropped us off as close to the stadium as they could easily get. Our walk to the stadium was short but we found the Badger fans in that area to be pretty damned cold and unfriendly. Not rude....just viewed us as an FCS squad that was a future notch on their victory list and not worthy of interaction. The seats that my buddy got for the game from the university were among the worst seats I've ever experienced. My back was against the all of their fieldhouse. It was about 175 yards to the back of the other endzone and the heart of the student section was about 700 feet way. "Jump Around" was just a bunch of moving q-tips from our perspective. Students were too busy drinking to show up until the first quarter was almost over. Because it was an OOC game that they expected to win, there was very little energy in the stadium. Just a completely underwhelming experience.
Bad seats will ruin an experience every time. Even if your team is winning/ wins, it just sucks.

I won't go to a Blazer game unless we sit in at least the 200 section, otherwise you just end up watching the scoreboard screen the whole time, and then what's the point? You spent $100 on two tickets, another $100 on food and drinks, $35 on parking, and the headache of traffic in and traffic out, all so you could basically watch the game on TV? MAYBE for a playoff game, but not regular season, where you never know if the star players decided to take the night off or not, so now you're watching scrubs... ugh. But I digress.

Honestly, though... it sounds like you just had an overall bad time, not that the fans were necessarily bad. Coupled with expectations of being competitive (which we should have been), I could see how that trip was a major let down, but again, I don't think that translates to the fans being bad. Just my $.02.

Bad seats will ruin an experience every time. Even if your team is winning/ wins, it just sucks.

I won't go to a Blazer game unless we sit in at least the 200 section, otherwise you just end up watching the scoreboard screen the whole time, and then what's the point? You spent $100 on two tickets, another $100 on food and drinks, $35 on parking, and the headache of traffic in and traffic out, all so you could basically watch the game on TV? MAYBE for a playoff game, but not regular season, where you never know if the star players decided to take the night off or not, so now you're watching scrubs... ugh. But I digress.

Honestly, though... it sounds like you just had an overall bad time, not that the fans were necessarily bad. Coupled with expectations of being competitive (which we should have been), I could see how that trip was a major let down, but again, I don't think that translates to the fans being bad. Just my $.02.

Like I said in my post.....they didn't have the "jerk" fans that Colorado had or that Oregon has had a reputation for. They suffered in comparison to Auburn and just didn't care if visiting fans had a good experience.

Auburn and Ole Miss fans are like, "You are going to enjoy your time here whether you like it or not!". Wisconsin fans didn't give a crap whether we were there or not. FWIW, since we got dropped off right by the stadium, we probably missed the areas where the "normal" fans were tailgating and having fun before the game.

As you said though, it didn't help that we had crappy seats and it was a relatively dull, boring game.

Well, there was the time my ex and I had baggies of dog shit thrown at us in their place. Horrible experience all around that day.

Southern hospitality is a real thing.

Sometimes though your experience can reflect how friendly you are. I almost always have very positive interactions with people in public wherever I am...but that is because it is most likely because I am friendly toward others.

Last edited:
Best experience: Auburn welcomed us and offered us many drinks and food,Made us feel like home.

Worst: Oregon drunks taunted us at our tailgate and harassed us in the stands. Got the finger and many F u.

Second worst: Oregon State drunk wanted to fight after the game and followed us after the loss.

Best experience: Auburn welcomed us and offered us many drinks and food,Made us feel like home.

Worst: Oregon drunks taunted us at our tailgate and harassed us in the stands. Got the finger and many F u.

Second worst: Oregon State drunk wanted to fight after the game and followed us after the loss.
UW worst I’ve encountered. Just smarmy. Would honestly rather get an FU and stuff thrown at me than people who won’t stand up to let you walk from your seat the bathroom. Encounter that type of passive aggressive nonsense every time I go to the AC in Seattle.

My top three incidents of rude fan behavior:

1) Watching a 20-something UW fan at Husky Stadium challenge a middle aged female Cougar fan sitting directly behind him to fight in the parking lot after the game when she politely asked him to sit down & stop blocking her view of the game. He was sitting in the front row with no obstruction, therefore no reason to constantly stand up.

2) Watching a couple of drunk OSU students in Corvallis verbally accost Eric Frampton's mom and dad as they walked from their car to the stadium all decked out in Cougar gear. The f-bomb laden comments were yelled just a couple of feet from Mr. and Mrs. Frampton's faces. I had hoped that Eric would show up in his uniform and gear and deliver a bone-jarring open field tackle on those two bark-eaters.

3) An Oregon fan with a duck call who blew it loudly in the faces of Cougar fans as they left Martin Stadium following a beatdown by UO. He waited for them at one of the exit gates and, again, got right into people's grills. I know several Cougar fans that would've relocated that duck call in a manner that would've still allowed the Duck fan to blow it loudly, but from another body orifice. Too bad none of those Cougar fans fell victim to the obnoxious Duck fan.

Glad Cougar

My top three incidents of rude fan behavior:

1) Watching a 20-something UW fan at Husky Stadium challenge a middle aged female Cougar fan sitting directly behind him to fight in the parking lot after the game when she politely asked him to sit down & stop blocking her view of the game. He was sitting in the front row with no obstruction, therefore no reason to constantly stand up.

2) Watching a couple of drunk OSU students in Corvallis verbally accost Eric Frampton's mom and dad as they walked from their car to the stadium all decked out in Cougar gear. The f-bomb laden comments were yelled just a couple of feet from Mr. and Mrs. Frampton's faces. I had hoped that Eric would show up in his uniform and gear and deliver a bone-jarring open field tackle on those two bark-eaters.

3) An Oregon fan with a duck call who blew it loudly in the faces of Cougar fans as they left Martin Stadium following a beatdown by UO. He waited for them at one of the exit gates and, again, got right into people's grills. I know several Cougar fans that would've relocated that duck call in a manner that would've still allowed the Duck fan to blow it loudly, but from another body orifice. Too bad none of those Cougar fans fell victim to the obnoxious Duck fan.

Glad Cougar
Was the the Droughns 200+ yd game? Miserable from beginning to end, and plenty of a-hole duck fans at that game.

In just one word- YES!

Lots of obnoxious A-holes in Madison. Also lousy game experience. I know it is late for this word of caution, but UW really screwed us on tickets. Sure, you don't expect great seats as a visitor, but they were ridiculous. One group was up high in end zone, that's fine and expected. Then they had one (maybe two, but think it was just one) row stretching from end zone to end zone, right behind the Cougar team. While you might think that would be great, it was actually terrible. It was so low that the team, coaches, trainers, assistants, and equipment blocked most of your view out to at least the hash marks. To make it worse, it was a very hot day and the team was using misters to provide cooling. With the sun shining brightly on the mist from the west, it created a veil that was almost impossible to see through. As a result, you end up trying to watch most of the game from the stadium big screen. what a waste.

Second place for worst fans goes to the other uw. husky fans are also obnoxious and arrogant, and after I thought some dickhead was going to attack my wife and I years ago we swore to never set foot in their stadium again. No need to subject yourself to such abuse.

I understand the issues with Duck fans, but have never had problems with them myself. I have attended all other PAC stadiums for conference games except UCLA (just never worked out for some reason) and never had real problems with home team fans. Did make it to the Rose Bowl for both New Year's Day games!

Honor Roll Awards to Auburn fans for both games! They were awesome, very friendly and welcoming. Second place further back was Notre Dame.

Other away games attended without issues include Nevada, UNLV, OK State, Houston, SMU, Ohio State, and Boise State.

I did think that Michigan fans in Pasadena and Iowa State fans in San Antonio exuded an obvious air of superiority, that they felt like they were lowering themselves to have to play the lowly WSU Cougars.

I enjoyed the Iowa State fans in the recent bowl game. We had a tremendous amount in common. Sure, there were some short tempered ones, and every team has some a$$hole fans. But I stayed in a hotel that was mostly ISU fans and enjoyed the experience. Lots of good casual conversation. I'd be happy to go there if we ever play at their school.

My worst experience is a toss up between the late '80's USC fans and the UCLA fans of a decade or so ago. Back in the day the SC folks lacked class, but that morphed over a 20 year period to where the young UCLA fans became incredibly foul mouthed, loud and obnoxious...while the SC group improved. I can't offer an explanation, but the results were unmistakable.

In just one word- YES!

Lots of obnoxious A-holes in Madison. Also lousy game experience. I know it is late for this word of caution, but UW really screwed us on tickets. Sure, you don't expect great seats as a visitor, but they were ridiculous. One group was up high in end zone, that's fine and expected. Then they had one (maybe two, but think it was just one) row stretching from end zone to end zone, right behind the Cougar team. While you might think that would be great, it was actually terrible. It was so low that the team, coaches, trainers, assistants, and equipment blocked most of your view out to at least the hash marks. To make it worse, it was a very hot day and the team was using misters to provide cooling. With the sun shining brightly on the mist from the west, it created a veil that was almost impossible to see through. As a result, you end up trying to watch most of the game from the stadium big screen. what a waste.

Second place for worst fans goes to the other uw. husky fans are also obnoxious and arrogant, and after I thought some dickhead was going to attack my wife and I years ago we swore to never set foot in their stadium again. No need to subject yourself to such abuse.

I understand the issues with Duck fans, but have never had problems with them myself. I have attended all other PAC stadiums for conference games except UCLA (just never worked out for some reason) and never had real problems with home team fans. Did make it to the Rose Bowl for both New Year's Day games!

Honor Roll Awards to Auburn fans for both games! They were awesome, very friendly and welcoming. Second place further back was Notre Dame.

Other away games attended without issues include Nevada, UNLV, OK State, Houston, SMU, Ohio State, and Boise State.

I did think that Michigan fans in Pasadena and Iowa State fans in San Antonio exuded an obvious air of superiority, that they felt like they were lowering themselves to have to play the lowly WSU Cougars.
Cyclones fans thinking their team is better than any teams in the P12, or P5 for that matter, is hilarious.

In just one word- YES!

The Michigan fans we encountered were A-holes. I imagine we can agree with badgers on that.

Reactions: BadgerInSpartyland
The Michigan fans we encountered were A-holes. I imagine we can agree with badgers on that.
Yes. They're referred to as "A4" - Arrogant A-holes of Ann Arbor...

And, I do understand the visiting sections at Camp Randall are not great - aren't most visiting sections at other stadiums that way, though? That was my impression, though that could be wrong.

I will say that there has been a lot of renovation done since the last time WSU came to Madison, particularly in the end zone opposite the student section - those are now very nice, but they're part of the season ticket section, not visitors.

Reactions: WindyCityCoug
Southern hospitality is a real thing.

Sometimes though your experience can reflect how friendly you are. I almost always have very positive interactions with people in public wherever I am...but that is because it is most likely because I am friendly toward others.
I’ve had a great time on most trips. The implication that I was the asshole ignores that I had mentioned that I had a good time at other places. Heck, even though CU fans sucked in 2003, they’ve been fine the three times I’ve gone since. Some fans just aren’t good hosts.

Opposing fans should be required to attend fan etiquette classes taught by Auburn alum with "how to BBQ and share" prominently displayed in the syllabus

Actually the Baslers could teach this portion of the class

I was at a hotel in Middleton (suburb of Madison) this morning and went down for breakfast. Wearing my WSU gear, I gave a head nod to some old broad wearing Wisconsin gear and she gave me a “WTF are you looking at?“ kind of look.

We ended up setting near her and her husband so I walked over to them and ask if them if they are ready to give us a beat down today. Tension melted away and we had a great conversation. So, she lived up to the expectation of not being openly welcoming…..but after extending an olive branch….they were ok.

I was at a hotel in Middleton (suburb of Madison) this morning and went down for breakfast. Wearing my WSU gear, I gave a head nod to some old broad wearing Wisconsin gear and she gave me a “WTF are you looking at?“ kind of look.

We ended up setting near her and her husband so I walked over to them and ask if them if they are ready to give us a beat down today. Tension melted away and we had a great conversation. So, she lived up to the expectation of not being openly welcoming…..but after extending an olive branch….they were ok.
Flat, are you sure you don’t have RBF? 😎

Was the the Droughns 200+ yd game? Miserable from beginning to end, and plenty of a-hole duck fans at that game.
As a matter of fact, yes.....that was the game. Ducks were way up and Bellotti kept his first team in the entire game. Up by at least 3 TDs with under a minute to go and UO inside the Cougar 10-yard line, most opposing coaches would go to one knee. The Ducks pitched out to Droughns for one last TD and the 200+ yard game. The Duck fan sitting next to my brother yelled out "rub the bastards' faces in it."

But nothing spells obnoxious like Duck DC Aliotti complaining after a UO comfortable win over WSU when Leach left Halliday and most of the first teamers in the game despite a lopsided score in favor of the Ducks. WSU made the score a lot closer than it should have been and Aliotti whined about it afterwards. Only time in my life I ever heard a coach complaining about the losing team running up the score.

Glad Cougar

It's really weird to have the D be the strength of the team haha. Ward so far pretty unimpressive hope he figures something out soon.

As a matter of fact, yes.....that was the game. Ducks were way up and Bellotti kept his first team in the entire game. Up by at least 3 TDs with under a minute to go and UO inside the Cougar 10-yard line, most opposing coaches would go to one knee. The Ducks pitched out to Droughns for one last TD and the 200+ yard game. The Duck fan sitting next to my brother yelled out "rub the bastards' faces in it."

But nothing spells obnoxious like Duck DC Aliotti complaining after a UO comfortable win over WSU when Leach left Halliday and most of the first teamers in the game despite a lopsided score in favor of the Ducks. WSU made the score a lot closer than it should have been and Aliotti whined about it afterwards. Only time in my life I ever heard a coach complaining about the losing team running up the score.

Glad Cougar
Yes, I remember that one. Ducks everywhere winced at that idiot's comments, and we had a lot of fun with it. I'm sure it was also bulletin board material in our locker room....

It's really weird to have the D be the strength of the team haha. Ward so far pretty unimpressive hope he figures something out soon.
What has been the longest completion through the air? Hope they can get that going as well.

Fair question…..LOL.

I’d like to think that most people like me initially and learn to hate me over time…..;P

That's been my experience with you (jk).

Good conversation can settle most problems in life, wish people did it more often face to face and less on the internet :)

ADVERTISEMENT