ADVERTISEMENT

Marvin Cannon offerred..

ElComanche

Hall Of Fame
Sep 28, 2007
He is a 6'5 160 pd very athletic forward for Barton Jr college. He averaged 15.1 pts and 7.1 rbs in 29 mins of action. He shot 50 FGP ,79.9 FTP and 29% from 3 pt land. He is a quick high leaper who scores mostly around the basket. Interest in his recruitment seems to be picking up . He has offers from New Mexico and Southern Miss.I guess the cougs will have a few more scholarships available for next year. it looks like he has three years left of eligibility.

Last edited:
Looks like he shot 50% FG, 80% FT at Barton but only 29.2% from 3. Awkward lefty shot and a lot more dunks.

I hope that he can play defense. The cougs need a defensive stopper.This years team did not have anyone who was a lock down defender,. He has the size to play defense both against small forwards and swing guards

Last edited:
We didn't have a defensive stopper because we simply weren't very athletic. Skilled, but not athletic. Length and quickness make a potential lock down defender. Examples. Weaver, Cowgill, Klay. Guys like Capers, Longrus, and currently, Pollard work their tales off on d but are simply not stoppers.

That is why i am hoping that the cougs are recruiting this guy.He is highly athletic and his videos show him blocking a few shots. Elleby is also very athletic and takes pride in his defense . Wade is a athletic big man and will help. The hoped for big man appears to be Otchere whom of , we have not had any recent news The cougs are in his top 5 , but no scheduled visit yet. Blake Hinton is a hoped for recruit but the cougs are facing stiff competition to land him, So the teams athleticism may be upgraded with this years crop of recruits.

He is a 6'5 160 pd very athletic forward for Barton Jr college. He averaged 15.1 pts and 7.1 rbs in 29 mins of action. He shot 50 FGP ,79.9 FTP and 29% from 3 pt land. He is a quick high leaper who scores mostly around the basket. Interest in his recruitment seems to be picking up . He has offers from New Mexico and Southern Miss.I guess the cougs will have a few more scholarships available for next year. it looks like he has three years left of eligibility.
Is he really only 160 pounds? If so, he'll need to eat at Cougar Country 3X each day for a year.

Glad Cougar

Well,If he commits to the cougs, i hope his hops gives the team hoppiness all year long

We didn't have a defensive stopper because we simply weren't very athletic. Skilled, but not athletic. Length and quickness make a potential lock down defender. Examples. Weaver, Cowgill, Klay. Guys like Capers, Longrus, and currently, Pollard work their tales off on d but are simply not stoppers.

In watching Florida State v. Gonzaga, it's embarrassing how we look.

In retrospect the Cougs did beat St Marys who beat Gonzaga .They also gave Kansas State all they could handle. The cougs were competitive in most games. However they just did not win the close games they could have won.Next year Kent has to put a better product on the floor and win the majority of games. This starts with winning a couple of recruiting battles they are in right now.

I believe I saw a stat that prior to our last 2 games we were 6-2 in one possession games.

That's a great stat. And if true,speaks well to the coaching staff. It just seems like the cougs unraveled during the latter parts of games that they were in position to win. I believe that is more about intensity and focus on the player s part. Hopefully the players coming back will remember these games and be the team leaders who will lead the charge.After the first six games the cougs seemed to be intimidated by teams playing physically and with great desire and effort.

Cannon is visiting this weekend. What i liked about his play is that he tore up the Juco number one rated and then undefeated Indian hills Community College. He had 35 pts 9 rbs and 3 blks as he led his team to a 2 pt victory. In the next game he had 18 pts and 9 rbs in that game. So he played exceedingly well in the big games. Indian Hills has 2 players the cougs are also after.

Last edited:
Is he more Weaver or Capers?

No idea whether he has or can develop the skill but the athleticism is obviously there. Looks pretty active in his highlights as well so hopefully has the attitude and work-ethic.

Look like at least a solid addition this year.

Yes the good thing about him is that he was a full qualifier, which means that he has three years of eligibility left. It also means that his best basketball is ahead of him as he did not attract college recruiters out of high school. i also think that he is a solid recruit, I truly believe that Kent will have a good class. many people are of the opposite opinion We shall see as the recruiting continues

Last edited:
I like the looks of this guy, I wonder why he didn’t get recruited much out of high school. May have been a sleeper that thought he was better than the schools looking at him so he went JC to prove himself.

It looks like he is liking WSU,VCU and the other WSU-Wichita State U. Wichita has signed six new players including a recently signed 6'5 wing which may influence Cannon. The stars may align for the cougs on this one.

160 pounds? Yikes, PG Acquuah has 40 pounds on this guy!
He's a rail. I wonder if the spike in his recruiting is a result of showing he can knock down shots out to 3 to go along with his length and athleticism.

While they have a lot of spots to fill a Wichita State offer is pretty meaningful to me.

Wichita has signed three players in the 6'5 range and have PG Ricky Torres coming in this week. That will make a total of 7 new players. If Cannon does the math,he will see the benefits of signing with the cougs. The cougs can offer playing time in an offense suited to his skills.I think that Cannon would definitely help the cougs. A little time in the weight room and the nutritional programs may add about 10-15 pds of muscle to his frame. it takes strength to dunk in traffic like he does ,so i do not think his weight will hamper him in D 1 ball.

A little time in the weight room and the nutritional programs may add about 10-15 pds of muscle to his frame. it takes strength to dunk in traffic like he does ,so i do not think his weight will hamper him in D 1 ball.
Watched parts of a couple games online and he looks like he has an even smaller frame than Chidom. He's a wing though so that doesn't matter as much either. I guess I don't know where much weight is going to go on his frame but I'm not a S&C coach either.

The thin guys usually put weight on their arms and shoulders. That is why i say from 10-15 pds of additional weight. He will never weigh more than 175 pds. If a thin strong guy knows how to use leverage and body positioning ,he can hold his own if he is primarily an outside wing player. He can slash his way to the basket and rebound aggressively. I suspect that Cannon is much stronger than he appears.

Last edited:
Interestingly enough,there was a story in the New Yorker which shows the Koch brothers involvement in shocker basketball. It seems that they have donated a minimum of 10 million dollars to the WSU,Wichita State, basketball program. Also their coach Greg Marshall is scheduled to make around 4 million yearly, as the Koch brothers have helped up his salary when other teams came a knocking. So money talks, and one suspects that a brand new arena may soon be in the offering.It is tough to compete against that kind of support and money.

Interestingly enough,there was a story in the New Yorker which shows the Koch brothers involvement in shocker basketball. It seems that they have donated a minimum of 10 million dollars to the WSU,Wichita State, basketball program. Also their coach Greg Marshall is scheduled to make around 4 million yearly, as the Koch brothers have helped up his salary when other teams came a knocking. So money talks, and one suspects that a brand new arena may soon be in the offering.It is tough to compete against that kind of support and money.
Yeah, just ask the Dems.

It seems like the Wichita State coach has a private jet at his disposal and flies to see recruits individually . This probably has a big impression on recruits. In regards to Cannon ,the shockers have offered another 6'7 HS wing and are in the running for a 6'4 grad transfer from Albany who is the highest rated grad transfer variable.So perhaps the stars will align for the cougs who can really use his services.

Probably going to come down to VCU and the cougs. Wichita state is looking for PG s .VCU is in on a home visit .

I watched the video highlights. Not that concerned about the slight build. He is explosive and quick. Totally different than Capers. Lack of strength is usually an issue more on defense, but his speed and leaping will let him guard smaller guards using his length. I really like that he has 3 years. We needed another freshman or soph.

Looks like a pretty good pickup all things considered. Needs to improve his skills and shooting but he's not an awful shooter. Somewhat awkward shot but confident with it. Hopefully the 3 years will help him round out his game.

Believe we have one more to give (Franks spot)?

Assuming we have seen the last of K.J. Langston (and I have no idea whether that's the case) it looks like we have one spot left. Blake Hinson is still out there and he recently cancelled his visit to Illinois. Would be a nice way to round out the class.
  1. Milan Acquaah
  2. Viont'e Daniels
  3. Kwinton Hinson
  4. Carter Skaggs
  5. Arinze Chidom
  6. Jeff Pollard
  7. Davante Cooper
  8. Jervae Robinson
  9. C.J. Elleby
  10. Aljaz Kunc
  11. Marvin Cannon
  12. Isaiah Wade
  13. Open?

Blake Hinson would be a great pickup. However,i still hold out hopes for 6'10 230 Javan White, a grad transfer from Oral Roberts. He has two years of eligibility and fits the criteria for WSU grad transfers.However no visits scheduled for this guy.He recently visited Massachusetts. That fits the scenario i pictured a few weeks ago. Cannon is a great pickup and the new cougs will be a much more athletic team than last year s edition.Kent is proving to be a good "closer" and the recruiting has picked up once Kent made a move with his recruiters.The quality of recruits visiting is much better than last year.This is a nice group of recruits. The cougs will be a better team next year and not a "dumpster fire".

Elleby, Kunc, and Cannon give us a lot of length on the perimeter. Maybe Kunc takes a redshirt? I don't know how much impact they collectively can make next season although Elleby should get good minutes.

Next year is probably about how Robinson and Wade mix in with the rest of the returning players. Acquaah needs to play more like he did the last handful of games. Hinson and Cooper need that second year bump and Chidom probably needs to arrive a year earlier than maybe expected.

Haven't seen much on Javan White other than what you mentioned. If I had my pick I would rather add another young player who is arguably the best talent and capable of playing multiple positions like Blake Hinson. He could step into the void left by Franks or even on the wing. I'm not picky at this point though. With 2 years White would be a great get to.

I have not heard anything of Hinson for the last two weeks or so.I do not see a visit scheduled .He would be able to step into the void left by Frank s departure.There is still [plenty of time left to finish off this year s recruiting. Everything i have read about Hinson is that he was going to visit Seton Hall,Illinois and WSU. He just cancelled a visit to Illinois. He did visit Ole Miss a couple of weeks ago.So we will see if he does visit Pullman. He is rated as a four star recruit and certainly does not lack for confidence

Last edited:
That roster will struggle biggly in the PAC 12. Hinson would improve the outlook for next year. Also has Franks signed with an agent or is he still a possibility?

Those are questions which only time will tell. Hinson looks like he can really needs time in the weight room and a good conditioning program,He is a four star but needs a lot of work to realize his potential.On paper,he looks really great but will have to work to be the player he thinks he is.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT