ADVERTISEMENT

Mateer's future

CougPatrol

Hall Of Fame
Dec 8, 2006
In this new era of college football roster retention, programs are faced with complex decisions early on. If Mateer continues to show well in practice and possibly games, I think we might want to consider floating some NIL money his way. He'll likely have his redshirt year perserved, which really doesn't matter, but I think you sit him down now and tell him that when Ward graduates, you'll be taking over as the starter. Here's some NIL $$$. Give us another year.

I know it sounds crazy, but that era is upon us. There are dozens of programs like Oregon State who will happily take on portal transfers at QB. Mateer is well regarded. He played at Allen HS in Texas and was rated the #16 dual threat QB out of high school. Make an NIL stability investment and ensure that we transition from Ward to Mateer and lock down the QB position for 4-5 seasons. If I'm Dickert, I'd contribute to that fund myself.

Exactly what I thought at the end of the game, how many other teams just took notice? There’s no way Dickert isn’t doing what you described.

Reactions: M-I-Coug
In this new era of college football roster retention, programs are faced with complex decisions early on. If Mateer continues to show well in practice and possibly games, I think we might want to consider floating some NIL money his way. He'll likely have his redshirt year perserved, which really doesn't matter, but I think you sit him down now and tell him that when Ward graduates, you'll be taking over as the starter. Here's some NIL $$$. Give us another year.

I know it sounds crazy, but that era is upon us. There are dozens of programs like Oregon State who will happily take on portal transfers at QB. Mateer is well regarded. He played at Allen HS in Texas and was rated the #16 dual threat QB out of high school. Make an NIL stability investment and ensure that we transition from Ward to Mateer and lock down the QB position for 4-5 seasons. If I'm Dickert, I'd contribute to that fund myself.

He went to Little Elm

Agree except that Ward probably isn't going to graduate. Ward is a Redshirt Soph more this season. Next season will be Ward's redshirt Junior year. Ward will probably leave early after the next season, his redshirt Junior year, for the NFL draft.

So after Ward leaves early, Mateer will probably be the starter. And Mateer should be sat down, told that, given NIL money.

The only thing that theoretically could stand in way of that is Sam Leavitt WSU's semi new QB recruit, as he seems to be THAT GOOD.

Also Xavier Ward, who is a Redshirt Freshman or Redshirt Sophmore, might theoretically also stand in way in future.

He would probably be a senior or junior when Cam leaves, and Mateer JUST BARELY BY SKIN OF TEETH beat out Xavier, and the coaching staff has talked Xavier up a lot.

So Xavier might theoretically be able to beat out Mateer in future after next season.

So while I agree that your point is valid, that want to lock Mateer up, if Mateer does leave, transfer, get injured, etc, the QB room is WELL STOCKED with GOOD QB's

Agree except that Ward probably isn't going to graduate. Ward is a Redshirt Soph more this season. Next season will be Ward's redshirt Junior year. Ward will probably leave early after the next season, his redshirt Junior year, for the NFL draft.

So after Ward leaves early, Mateer will probably be the starter. And Mateer should be sat down, told that, given NIL money.
Yes, I should have said "moves on" rather than graduates. Cam Ward will declare for the draft after next season.

Regardless of whether Mateer pans out or not, schools are going to have to take some chances with NIL money. Be willing to lose some money in an attempt to solidify your roster.

I think this is a little premature. He will have 3 years left likely after Ward is gone. There’s no guarantee if he goes somewhere else he’s anointed the starter.

I think with the portal as a coach you have to be aware of what’s going on around you with all of your players, but first and foremost make sure all of your guys are happy and see a future for themselves in the program…just like with any business. People don’t always jump ship when more money is available. They quit on their managers/coaches. I have no clue if Mateer is happy or not but if he is and he sees a future for himself here I doubt he’s going to go to Boise State for an F150 just because.

I don't know how much the NIL dollars will sway some kids. If his goal is the NFL, he needs playing time and an offense to put up some numbers to get drafted.

I need to say this: Ward is the worst WSU QB since Lopina. He thinks he's Mahomes; however his football IQ is much lower. The side arm screen throws behind the receiver continues to be a joke. Mateer was decisive and sharp. There better be a QB competition next year....a real one!

I need to say this: Ward is the worst WSU QB since Lopina. He thinks he's Mahomes; however his football IQ is much lower. The side arm screen throws behind the receiver continues to be a joke. Mateer was decisive and sharp. There better be a QB competition next year....a real one!

Your letting Ward's PAST bad performance, wrongly color his performance vs Stanford as "Bad".

Ward was EFFIN AWESOME, vs Stanford.

1 He threw for about, around, close to 300+ yards.

2. He had a high completion %.

3. About Half to semi most of his passes were 13 to 27 yard COMPLETED passes, not just only screen, sideline, swing, 5 yards or less passes.
4. He only threw about 6 to 12 of those screen, sideline, swing passes, and most of those were COMPLETED, IN STRIDE.

5. He did have 1, a couple, few, semi some incomplete side arm passes behind screen targets, etc, BECAUSE THE RADIO ANBOUNCER SAID THAT THE REASON WHY HE WAS THROWING THOSE SPECIFIC PASSES IN THOSE SPECIFIC SITUATIONS, SIDE ARM, WAS BECAUSE THE OPPONENT D LINE HAD KNOCKED DOWN ABOUT 2,3,4, SCREEN PASSES, AND THAT HE WAS TRYING TO THROW SIDE ARM AROUND THOSE D LINEMEN, TO AVOID GETTING THOSE PASSES KNOCKED DOWN.

6. He threw a lot of amazing accurate down field, mid range, semi long passes.

7. He threw 2,3,4 TD passed.

8. He had no turnovers, Int's, fumbles, etc.

9. He ran, scrambled, etc, for lots of about 7 to 13 to 17 YARD runs, first downs.

10. He was, looked like a NFL QB that scored about 42+ on Stanford.

Mateer did look almost as good, to as good as Cam in the about 6 to 11 plays, snaps he had.

Now whether it was just Stanford's BAD defense, or a 1 time thing, or whether Cam had his complete game, AHA moment, and whether he will continue to have Stanford like performances or not, and whether MORRIS continues to put Cam into good plays or not, remains to be seen.

But Cam's awesome performance vs Stanford showed a SLIVER GLIMPSE into WHY Cam was projected by most to almost all the official experts in and out of NFL, scouts, coaches, players, etc, to be a 1st, 2nd round pick.

The problem is you, others choose to ONLY see the bad, and NOT SEE, IGNORE the good, when it comes to Cam.

I have been HARD on Morris and rightfully so. But as hard as I have been on Morris, at least I acknowledged, saw, etc, BOTH the BAD and GOOD Morris has done.

I didn't stupidly say that MORRIS'S performance vs Stanford was bad, just, only because Morris was BAD before that.

No, I didn't do that. I rightly acknowledged how good Morris was vs Stanford, and WHY it was good vs Stanford, and that I hope he continues to do good.

When, if Morris, Cam does bad, instead of how awesome they were vs Stanford, THEN you can rightly criticize, Bash them.

But when, if they do good, like they did vs Stanford, you, others need to see, recognize that, and not stupidly Bash Cam, and MORRIS'S and WSU's good job vs Stanford.

You wrongly bashing their Stanford performance, just makes you look like a stupid idiot.

Now if you want to find fault with something, the WR's had another bout with the DROPSIE'S.

Awesome that WSU can score 50+ DESPITE the dropped balls.

Hey now, I agree with your general sentiment about Ward but Lopina at least won us an Apple Cup. I give Lopina some permanent kudo's in my book for those throws to Karsteter at the end and also having the wherewithal to get team to hurry and line up and spike with only a couple seconds left. Let's see how Ward does in AC first. Not saying Lopina was all-conference or anything but he didn't make as many bonehead mistakes.....and he literally broke his back for the program ;) we also should consider the team he was on and the coaching.....

Ward was 16/32 on Saturday.

NOT BECAUSE OF CAM.

BECAUSE OF ALL THE EFFIN DROPPED BALLS WHERE CAM HIT THE WR IN THE EFFIN HANDS ON AWESOMELY THROWN PASSES IN STRIDE WITH THE WR, AND THE WR WERE STILL DROPPING PASSES LIKE CRAZY, AND DESPITE THAT, CAM, STILL DID AWESOME JOB AGAINST STANFORD.

NOT BECAUSE OF CAM.

BECAUSE OF ALL THE EFFIN DROPPED BALLS WHERE CAM HIT THE WR IN THE EFFIN HANDS ON AWESOMELY THROWN PASSES IN STRIDE WITH THE WR, AND THE WR WERE STILL DROPPING PASSES LIKE CRAZY, AND DESPITE THAT, CAM, STILL DID AWESOME JOB AGAINST STANFORD.

They really need a adjusted completion percentage.

Kind of like what baseball does for pitchers, when it comes to fielders making errors.

They should go thru passing attempts, and separate the incomplete passing attempts into 3 categories. 1. Those that are clearly QB's fault. 2. Those where can't determine whose fault it is. 3. Those that are clearly the WR's fault.
Those that are in categories 1 and 2 go to QB, and determine the QB's adjusted completion rate.

If did that for Cam in the Stanford game.

Of the 16 incompletions, About 5 are Cams fault. About 5 probably can't clearly ascribe blame to either Cam or WR's. And about 6 are CLEARLY WR fault.

Cam gets 10 incompletions(5 his fault + 5 )

That means that Cam's Adjusted completions vs incompletions for the Stanford game would have been, is, 16 completions out of 26(32 - the 6 that WR fault = 26)

And that's about 61%

And thats if give the 5 in unblamed to Cam.

If give half of the unblamed to Cam, and half to WR.

Then Cam gets about 7 out of the 16 instead of getting 10. That means that WR get 9. That means that 32-9 = 23. That would mean that Cam 16 out of 23.

And thats about 69% for Cam.

So Cam's adjusted completions rate, percentage would be between about 60% and 70%, for a average of about 65% adjusted completion rate, percent, for the Stanford game, adjusted for all the Dropped balls by the WR's.

Kind of like what baseball does for pitchers, when it comes to fielders making errors.

They should go thru passing attempts, and separate the incomplete passing attempts into 3 categories. 1. Those that are clearly QB's fault. 2. Those where can't determine whose fault it is. 3. Those that are clearly the WR's fault.
Those that are in categories 1 and 2 go to QB, and determine the QB's adjusted completion rate.

Of the 16 incompletions, About 5 are Cams fault. About 5 probably can't clearly ascribe blame to either Cam or WR's. And about 6 are CLEARLY WR fault.

That means that Cam's Adjusted completions vs incompletions for the Stanford game would have been, is, 16 completions out of 26(32 - the 6 that WR fault = 26)

And that's about 61%

Then Cam gets about 7 out of the 16 instead of getting 10. That means that WR get 9. That means that 32-9 = 23. That would mean that Cam 16 out of 23.

So Cam's adjusted completions rate, percentage would be between about 60% and 70%, for a average of about 65% adjusted completion rate, percent, for the Stanford game, adjusted for all the Dropped balls by the WR's.

So Cam still did PRETTY GOOD DESPITE THE DROPSIE'S BY THE WR'S.

Gary Rogers wants back pay!

And that's about 61%

I disagree. Some QBs throw a more catchable ball (tighter spiral, etc). Some QBs spend more time with their receivers in the offseason. Some QBs are such great leaders their receivers will run through walls for them. Why should a QB be handed some obscure stat that doesn’t factor in this stuff? It’s going to even itself out over time all things equal.

I kinda think the same thing with baseball honestly. In the shift era, who gives a shit if you hit the ball hard if you are constantly yanking it to the second basemen who’s playing short right field in the shift. Learn to hit the ball the other way then you can get on base more often. If analytics guys want to factor that stuff into their decisions building a roster, fine, but there’s always a good reason a guy who scotches the ball is only hitting .230 over 500 at bats. Don’t overthink it.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT