ADVERTISEMENT

MBB coaching options

Ffffws

All Conference
Nov 14, 2018
Not getting into names but I see 3 Types of coach scenarios.
1. Young upandcomer Assistant
2. Affordable but experienced coach with unspectacular record
3. An old name who needs to rehabilitate a career. (Perhaps a questionable hire a la Pitino)

We won’t be getting a current “hot” coach.

Thoughts?,

I would add a 4th type: Experienced mid-major coach with track record of success, but only making about $300 K in his current job. I can think of a couple of names, but will wait to mention them.

Glad Cougar

I think it will be similar to the women's search. We were going after the coach from Alaska who had done really well at that level but ended up with Ethridge from UNC who had success in the Big Sky. BrentH brought up Jeff Linder and would think he's a definite possibility.

I really hope to see a certain personality both from the coach and philosophy. One style has worked in Pullman in forever. Doesn't mean it has to be "Bennett-ball" but we need someone who coaches and recruits with a chip. Someone like Sampson, Boyle, etc.

NO

He will have to have a larger than life personality. Someone the fans can relate too like our FB coach
Now. Who is that person.

NO

He will have to have a larger than life personality. Someone the fans can relate too like our FB coach
Now. Who is that person.
Never thought personality per se was that important. Dick/Tony Bennett and Sampson weren't big personalities. They were able to earn trust. Dick/Tony basically immediately and Sampson over time.

Good luck folks is all i have to say. The old game of standing at center court with the ball on your hip does not cut it anymore There is a time clock.Yeah get Pitino and a larger than life personality,that is is laughable.

Good luck folks is all i have to say. The old game of standing at center court with the ball on your hip does not cut it anymore There is a time clock.Yeah get Pitino and a larger than life personality,that is is laughable.
tenor.gif

So now that the table has turned and your guy Kent is gone, you now become the doom and gloom fan. I'm not really afraid of the future because it can't be much worse than the past 5 years.

Glad Cougar

So now that the table has turned and your guy Kent is gone, you now become the doom and gloom fan. I'm not really afraid of the future because it can't be much worse than the past 5 years.

Glad Cougar

I would agree with you Glad, but I thought it couldn't get much worse than Bone either.

No damn bring in the ghost of Bobby Knoight, or convince Pitino that the Palouse beckons him! Give me a break i am falling off my chair laughing.The worst is yet to come folks, i cannot wait to switch to a critic unfetter red.You guys will get just what you asked for.

No damn bring in the ghost of Bobby Knoight, or convince Pitino that the Palouse beckons him! Give me a break i am falling off my chair laughing.The worst is yet to come folks, i cannot wait to switch to a critic unfetter red.You guys will get just what you asked for.

But you have all of football season to bitch about the QB first.

Don't shoot your wad all in one night.

You guys? Who are you referring to specifically?

Two things:
1) I don't understand the joy over Kent getting fired. I fully expect to be underwhelmed by the next hire, for some of the useful pieces to transfer out and for the board to be fed up with the next guy (who is going to get well paid) by the end of year two. I fear we just spent a lot of money for a minimal improvement.

2) I don't get ElC's reaction to all this. Mourn the necessity of this move, but something was off with this team. It had to be done. Really wished we would have won a couple more games so we could keep Ernie around for one more year. But stop acting like after last night's train wreck the program wasn't in zombie mode. At least a coaching change buys the new guy a year or so before fans quit on the team again.

Yes Observer you are indeed Nostradamus You rightfully predicted that Elleby would not finish his career at WSU Hell i am not being specific i am tossing all of the critics in a fish barrel and shooting . Hell i haven t had this much fun since the county fair. :) I cannot wait to watch this unfold.

Are you Jordan Kent or another relative of Ernie's? He is very personable and does a good job getting kids to graduate but anyone with eyesight can see things were not going to change. Maybe the 30 point loss was an anomaly?!?!

Two things:
1) I don't understand the joy over Kent getting fired. I fully expect to be underwhelmed by the next hire, for some of the useful pieces to transfer out and for the board to be fed up with the next guy (who is going to get well paid) by the end of year two. I fear we just spent a lot of money for a minimal improvement
I think that's fair especially after the last time around. It was time for Bone to move on down the road but I did not anticipate paying more than double for a worse option. When Kent was brought up as a possible I argued there was no way we would fire Bone to hire Kent. Of course I was as wrong as CougEd is about Joe Harris.

Firing also doesn't get us any closer to the improvement we need in the program but I think it's more relief than anything at this point. Next steps are an unknown but I can't imagine I will feel any worse than I did when Graham or Kent were officially hired. Then again it can always...always be worse.

I am confident Chun will improve the situation as bad as it is. We will probably lose some players but we already were so far down.

No but i want Rick Pitino .what do you think Chun can sell him on the Palouse? Next year 30 point losses will not be an anomaly as i agree with you on that .

Hutson at Fresno st would be solid
Chuns got deep ties to Ohio st so maybe a big 10 connection. Don't think we can afford Matta and rumor is UNLV might pursue him as well.

Kent failed, end of story there is no defending what this man did basketball wise he was horrible. Offense sucked defense really sucked. Recruiting mediocre at best​

Reactions: taf88
Yes Observer you are indeed Nostradamus You rightfully predicted that Elleby would not finish his career at WSU Hell i am not being specific i am tossing all of the critics in a fish barrel and shooting . Hell i haven t had this much fun since the county fair. :) I cannot wait to watch this unfold.

Did you actually attend my alma mater? You cannot wait for our Cougs to be shitty. Geezus dude.

No but i want Rick Pitino .what do you think Chun can sell him on the Palouse? Next year 30 point losses will not be an anomaly as i agree with you on that .

Actually if you could control Pitino’s urge to cheat bring him in. Also how much trouble could Sampson get in ?

Two things:
1) I don't understand the joy over Kent getting fired. I fully expect to be underwhelmed by the next hire, for some of the useful pieces to transfer out and for the board to be fed up with the next guy (who is going to get well paid) by the end of year two. I fear we just spent a lot of money for a minimal improvement.

2) I don't get ElC's reaction to all this. Mourn the necessity of this move, but something was off with this team. It had to be done. Really wished we would have won a couple more games so we could keep Ernie around for one more year. But stop acting like after last night's train wreck the program wasn't in zombie mode. At least a coaching change buys the new guy a year or so before fans quit on the team again.

I would hope no one likes to see a guy who gave what he had and just didn’t have success . It is sad because WSU isn’t an easy gig and i am not sure there is a template that says one coach will be successful. The closest I can come up with is a guy with a plan and system and it is Dick Bennett . But is that sustainable?

The few games I caught they gave up a ton of easy hoops. They seemed to get it for three or four games but something happened. Maybe they believed the press clippings and didn’t realize it is a daily grind. Anyway it is not a fun day when people get fired but also opens up the possibility of positive change .

WSU has to make a Leach-type of hire in basketball...otherwise, I question what is the point?

Thad Matta (assuming his health is okay), Fred Hoiberg - guys with a developed system and success. Can WSU really afford to push all its chips in on an up-and-comer? This basketball hire could decide the fate of WSU men's hoops for the next 20-25 years.

NO

Now. Who is that person.
He?

Why not a she?

Hire a woman. Becky Hammon assistant coach of Spurs.
Go away from AAU and embrace analytics.
And reject toxic Wulffalinity.

He?

Why not a she?

I don’t know that she would go for it with such challenging program but have thought of Harmon. I don’t know how much college experience she has but she’s been with the Spurs for a long time.

Yes Loyal idiot i attended and received a graduate degree from WSU., Loyal and a few others continually derided Kent and tried to harm recruiting when the program was struggling Now to say crap about wanting WSU to be bad is ludicrous. What an absolute hypocrisy on his part. Now we pay over 2.6 million for the next three years for a basketball coach.Yes hire Pitino or the ex Ohio State coach that is plain stupidity. The chickens may be coming home to roost for these super critics.

Yes Loyal idiot i attended and received a graduate degree from WSU., Loyal and a few others continually derided Kent and tried to harm recruiting when the program was struggling Now to say crap about wanting WSU to be bad is ludicrous. What an absolute hypocrisy on his part. Now we pay over 2.6 million for the next three years for a basketball coach.Yes hire Pitino or the ex Ohio State coach that is plain stupidity. The chickens may be coming home to roost for these super critics.
I don't think it was the message boards that were harming recruiting. Did you check out our record over the last 5 years? When a coach is newly hired they can sell hope. In year 5 you are selling what you've created which wasn't much in the way of success. Even if the next coach is as bad a Kent or Graham at least there is hope in the present. We didn't have any of that with Kent. Good guy but not the right coach for Cougar basketball.

You're the only one riding the Pitino bandwagon repeatedly. Even that mention was a casual toss out thought not a full blow endorsement.

Get off the Pitino horse as your go-to argument. He's not coming and Chun's not hiring him.

There are tons of mid-major and D-2 guys who'd bring energy and have far better schemes than CEK. Standing on the sideline in a nice suit yelling "MOVE" is not coaching.

Reactions: taf88
The same way you continually derided the previous coach when the program was struggling, even resorting to calling him names? Hypocrisy, yes.

The fact is WSU is getting a new coach. Cougar fans have 3 choices: (1) Wait to see who is named and hope that he does well; (2) Don't wait to see who is named and already decide to not support him/hope that he fails, (3) Don't care about the Cougar men's basketball program or who they hire. Unfortunately the last couple of years, too many fans took what was behind Door #3.

Glad Cougar

The same way you continually derided the previous coach when the program was struggling, even resorting to calling him names? Hypocrisy, yes.

The fact is WSU is getting a new coach. Cougar fans have 3 choices: (1) Wait to see who is named and hope that he does well; (2) Don't wait to see who is named and already decide to not support him/hope that he fails, (3) Don't care about the Cougar men's basketball program or who they hire. Unfortunately the last couple of years, too many fans took what was behind Door #3.

Glad Cougar

Are you suggesting El is full of #2?

I would agree.

He?

Why not a she?

I don’t know that she would go for it with such challenging program but have thought of Harmon. I don’t know how much college experience she has but she’s been with the Spurs for a long time.

I wouldn't mind watching her coach.;) An boy that would bring some attention to the university and to the program. Our attendance would go up for sure right out of the gate.

https://www.theplayerstribune.com/en-us/articles/pau-gasol-becky-hammon

You're the only one riding the Pitino bandwagon repeatedly. Even that mention was a casual toss out thought not a full blow endorsement.

Get off the Pitino horse as your go-to argument. He's not coming and Chun's not hiring him.

There are tons of mid-major and D-2 guys who'd bring energy and have far better schemes than CEK. Standing on the sideline in a nice suit yelling "MOVE" is not coaching.

Not sure you have the formula . WSU is all about talent acquisition . If you can find a coach who recruit and get players you may get away with standing there and saying “move”

Not sure you have the formula . WSU is all about talent acquisition . If you can find a coach who recruit and get players you may get away with standing there and saying “move”

You got to have a bit of both. Ernie had neither. Ken was probably a little too heavy on the X&O side but he was alright at recruiting.

Raveling was waaay on the get good players side.

Tony and DIck -just right....

You got to have a bit of both. Ernie had neither. Ken was probably a little too heavy on the X&O side but he was alright at recruiting.

Well even tony didn’t think it was sustainable to get guys who wanted to score 43 points a game thus felt he would have to open it up from where is dad was at and get a slightly different player. They recruited under the radar guys and Dick was exceptional of getting his player into his system .

Hard to argue with some of the success George had in Pullman

I could see them look at a Romar Ken Bone team. Romar did really well with Bone on the bench .

I would call up Rick Pitino and see if he could curb his desire to cheat

No i am saying that Observer is full of caca . I did not mention Pitino s name. Any decent coach will want at least Ernie s salary. Chun made a bold move and now he is to be held accountable for his actions. The names being bandied about on this board are pure fantasy. Remember i did not mention names until some fools posted them. Observer must have been a lap dog who trailed the Bennetts around hoping they would acknowledge his superior knowledge of basketbal.l He is full of it and will forever be a lap dog at someone s feet.

I could see them look at a Romar Ken Bone team. Romar did really well with Bone on the bench .

I would call up Rick Pitino and see if he could curb his desire to cheat

We just fired an Oregon reject and now you propose husky rejects, soon to be Pepperdine rejects. Brilliant!!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT