ADVERTISEMENT

Mike Zimmer to Colorado?

CougPatrol

Hall Of Fame
Dec 8, 2006
Rumors flying around that Mike Zimmer could become Colordo's defensive coordinator under Deion Sanders. If so, that would be a huge splash hire.

Sounds like Deion is making some good hires and decisions. I don’t blame him for telling the present players to either buy in or hit the road. There aren’t many who would start for other PAC12 teams and the results this year shows that.

Sounds like Deion is making some good hires and decisions. I don’t blame him for telling the present players to either buy in or hit the road. There aren’t many who would start for other PAC12 teams and the results this year shows that.
He was pretty brazen about the way he presented it...and the fact that he did it on multiple camera angles does support the idea that he was looking for the press, probably with an eye to his future. But in the end...whether explicitly stated or just implied, every time there's a coaching change the players get the same choice and the same message.

And, when your team just went 1-11 and your coach got fired mid-season, you should want to see major changes. Clearly, the old way didn't work.

He was pretty brazen about the way he presented it...and the fact that he did it on multiple camera angles does support the idea that he was looking for the press, probably with an eye to his future. But in the end...whether explicitly stated or just implied, every time there's a coaching change the players get the same choice and the same message.

And, when your team just went 1-11 and your coach got fired mid-season, you should want to see major changes. Clearly, the old way didn't work.

I'm glad that Sanders is not our coach, but he's going to make some noise at Colorado when he's there. I'll say that he's going to hit a ceiling before too long if he doesn't learn how to check his ego at the door. He's the kind of coach who's brazen and abrasive and makes players better, but I can see things turning into a crapfest if the team struggles. I guarantee that if his team is losing, it's because of the players and not him.

His messaging was pretty direct and it'll be interesting to see the churn at Colorado in the next six months. He does represent everything wrong with the future of football. Zero loyalty there.

Sounds like Willie Taggert is on his way to CU as well, going to be a lot of egos there could get interesting. with NIL recruiting violations won't be an issue any longer.

I'm glad that Sanders is not our coach, but he's going to make some noise at Colorado when he's there. I'll say that he's going to hit a ceiling before too long if he doesn't learn how to check his ego at the door. He's the kind of coach who's brazen and abrasive and makes players better, but I can see things turning into a crapfest if the team struggles. I guarantee that if his team is losing, it's because of the players and not him.

His messaging was pretty direct and it'll be interesting to see the churn at Colorado in the next six months. He does represent everything wrong with the future of football. Zero loyalty there.
No way Sanders checks his "ego at the door". That pretty much part of who he is as a person, player, and now coach. To him it's confidence, but whatever it is it's worked for him. Every good coach has a huge ego (some bad as well) and I believe most are looking for their next opportunity. It's not about loyalty, it's just the nature of the business.

I don't know how sustainable the situation at Colorado will be, but the here and now is pretty impressive.

As Biggs likes to say, who's walking into living rooms and getting kids attention more than Deion Sanders, Mike Zimmer, and Willie Taggert? I hope they pull every 4 and 5 star out of Los Angeles just to piss of USC, UCLA, and Oregon.

No way Sanders checks his "ego at the door". That pretty much part of who he is as a person, player, and now coach. To him it's confidence, but whatever it is it's worked for him. Every good coach has a huge ego (some bad as well) and I believe most are looking for their next opportunity. It's not about loyalty, it's just the nature of the business.
Yes, but it's a strange business where you're expected to be 100% loyal until you're gone. You're supposed to tell fans that you're committed to them as you're boarding the plane to your new job. Dennis Erickson was just ahead of his time.

He'll never be a head coach in the NFL if he talked like he did in the video above. Frankly, he would struggle at most elite universities. Top tier athletes are not going to be interested in a coach that doesn't walk the walk that he's asking them to walk. He's got the mojo right now, but a three game losing streak puts an ego like his on the hot seat immediately.

Also, it's one thing to have an ego....it's another thing to be disrespectful of others. The dude knows how to lay down some shade but he's going to have a massive flameout at some point if he doesn't learn how to rein it in. Being a jive talking clown worked great at Jackson State but I'm guessing that he's going to find the world a lot less forgiving when he's talking about changing things and it doesn't happen. Utah, USC and Oregon in particular are going to be a lot different challenge than he's been used to. He could out-athlete everyone at Jackson State. He's going to find the margins are far different in a Power 5 league. It'll be interesting to see if he's actually a good coach or not.

Yes, but it's a strange business where you're expected to be 100% loyal until you're gone. You're supposed to tell fans that you're committed to them as you're boarding the plane to your new job. Dennis Erickson was just ahead of his time.
I watched the presser and that's what I heard Sanders do. It literally was out of the Leach handbook. Talked about how beautiful the city was, great facilities, fan support, etc.

I learned to not be so naive with Erickson (too young for Sherrill/Powers). Erickson was gone before the Aloha Bowl game when Johnson was first headed to the 49-er's. That fell through, but later the Cowboy's of course wouldn't fall through. I was one of the not so smart people chanting "stay, stay, stay" at the hoops game where the football team was honored. Erickson's objective was to get to the NFL. That's coaching.

He'll never be a head coach in the NFL if he talked like he did in the video above. Frankly, he would struggle at most elite universities. Top tier athletes are not going to be interested in a coach that doesn't walk the walk that he's asking them to walk. He's got the mojo right now, but a three game losing streak puts an ego like his on the hot seat immediately.

Also, it's one thing to have an ego....it's another thing to be disrespectful of others. The dude knows how to lay down some shade but he's going to have a massive flameout at some point if he doesn't learn how to rein it in. Being a jive talking clown worked great at Jackson State but I'm guessing that he's going to find the world a lot less forgiving when he's talking about changing things and it doesn't happen. Utah, USC and Oregon in particular are going to be a lot different challenge than he's been used to. He could out-athlete everyone at Jackson State. He's going to find the margins are far different in a Power 5 league. It'll be interesting to see if he's actually a good coach or not.
The NFL is a different beast. Saban failed in the NFL. Erickson wasn't good in the NFL. Lots of really good college coaches can't hack the NFL. Just my opinion, but I seriously doubt Sanders would go about it this way with NFL players.

We won't know what's happening behind closed doors, but it will be interesting to see if this is how he is beyond day 1. He got the players attention and I believe that was the goal. The "I'm comin'" lecture was obviously something he prepared in advance. It wasn't off the cuff just like a first meeting isn't for any coach. CU has had 1 winning season in the last 10 years. We have seen it at WSU. That kind of losing becomes the culture. Nice isn't going to cut through it. Karl Dorrell is nice.

If he's really convinced Mike Zimmer and Willie Taggert to join his staff that says something to me. I don't see either hitching their wagon to a "clown". I'm not a fan of Sanders act by any means. I do think there is a lot more substance than meets the eye. You don't play both ways in the NFL and play MLB if you don't have great work-ethic. My bet at the moment is there is more than meets the eye. I'm not judging this book by its cover yet.

Last edited:
The NFL is a different beast. Saban failed in the NFL. Erickson wasn't good in the NFL. Lots of really good college coaches can't hack the NFL. Just my opinion, but I seriously doubt Sanders would go about it this way in NFL players.

We won't know what's happening behind closed doors, but it will be interesting to see if this is how he is beyond day 1. He got their attention and that was the goal. The "I'm comin'" lecture was obviously something he prepared in advance. It wasn't off the cuff just like a first meeting it isn't for any coach. CU has had 1 winning season in the last 10 years. We have seen it at WSU. That kind of losing becomes the culture. Nice isn't going to cut through it. Karl Dorrell is nice.

If he's really convinced Mike Zimmer and Willie Taggert to join his staff that says something to me. I don't see either hitching their wagon to a "clown". I'm not a fan of Sanders act by any means. I do think there is a lot more substance than meets the eye. You don't play both ways in the NFL and play MLB if you don't have great work-ethic. My bet at the moment is there is more than meets the eye. I'm not judging this book by its cover yet.
Coach Sanders could rely solely on athletic talent and he would have excelled. I think his work ethic as a coach is greater than when he played. I could be all wet and wrong but I don't remember reading anyway that he was Michael Jordan in practice.

Also, Leach made it clear buy in or leave. But he did it in a subtle manner. I guess what wasn't my cup of tea was it was staged, for the cameras, but he is all about tv and coverage.

I will say it is nice not to have the Nick Saban type who rehearsed his answers and gives coach speak.

Coach Sanders could rely solely on athletic talent and he would have excelled. I think his work ethic as a coach is greater than when he played. I could be all wet and wrong but I don't remember reading anyway that he was Michael Jordan in practice.
Jordan played baseball and had athletic talent as well. He wasn't able to translate it to baseball. You can't rely on just athletic talent in baseball. I'm not saying Sanders was a phenomenal baseball player, but he was certainly a legit MLB player.

My bigger point is I think there is substance beyond the act. I think he has the potential to reach and connect with talent CU hasn't seen probably since the 90's. He may ruffle a lot of feathers, but I think that isn't necessarily a bad thing when you are trying to build in a place with challenges and little good history in 20 or 30 years. A lot of people did not like John Chaplin on campus. He figured out how to compete against SC and Oregon. I'm interested to see how Sanders staff shakes out for next year.

I understand not liking the "show", I just don't see a "clown".

Even though they are in our conference, I didn't watch or care about CU football. However from this point on I will be looking up their game times, and if it fits into my schedule, I'll be watching. I think there are others that feel the same way. Colorado or he, depending on your view point, just did the conference a big favor. Holding out on the TV contract might have worked in the Pac 10's favor this time.

Jordan played baseball and had athletic talent as well. He wasn't able to translate it to baseball. You can't rely on just athletic talent in baseball. I'm not saying Sanders was a phenomenal baseball player, but he was certainly a legit MLB player.

My bigger point is I think there is substance beyond the act. I think he has the potential to reach and connect with talent CU hasn't seen probably since the 90's. He may ruffle a lot of feathers, but I think that isn't necessarily a bad thing when you are trying to build in a place with challenges and little good history in 20 or 30 years. A lot of people did not like John Chaplin on campus. He figured out how to compete against SC and Oregon. I'm interested to see how Sanders staff shakes out for next year.

I understand not liking the "show", I just don't see a "clown".

I too get why some may not like Sanders, but what you said is spot on.

I'm not a Sanders fan, but Deion played both ways as a WR, LOCK DOWN ALL STAR MVP, SUPERBOWL DB. He has been a ALL STAR, PRO BOWL, MVP SUPER BOWLER, FOR A LOT OF YEARS.

And not only was he a FUTURE HALL OF FAMER IN FOOTBALL, but he was also pretty good as a baseball player, was a ALL STAR, in that he went to the ALL STAR game multiple times. And he very much helped get to and played and won a WORLD SERIES, JUST LIKE HE WON A SUPERBOWL.

HE IS THE ONLY PLAYER IN THE LAST 200 YEARS TO DO ALL THAT.

And it doesn't stop there. Whether it's BUSINESS, Highschool, College, NFL, MLB, Life, etc, HE SANDERS ALWAYS WINS, SUCCEEDS.

HE IS LIKE THE HARRY STAMPER CHARACTER IN ARMAGEDDON, WHERE THE AJ CHARACTER SAID HARRY WILL GET IT DONE, HE DOESNT KNOW HOW TO FAIL.

SANDERS IS A WINNER.

HE WONT FAIL.

I and others don't like his ego, things about him, but as much as I, others don't like him, he will find a way to win, win consistently, win a lot.

And not only does he have the WILL, KNOW HOW to win, etc, but he has the ability to have a 85 man roster of 5 stars, and has Mike Zimmer, Taggert, arguably the 2 best assistant coaches in all of college footballdom..

Because of all that Sanders will win 7,8,9,10,11,12 games his first year.

If he only gets 5,6 wins, loses a bowl game on a 6 win season, he Sanders will have GROSSLY UNDERACHIEVED, UNDERPERFORMED, and NO COACH WILL HAVE DONE LESS WITH MORE, then him, IF IF that theoretically happens.

That said, I would be among those laughing at him, if it did happen.

But the reality, is that won't happen, and that he will win 7-12 games, his first year.

Last edited:
Even though they are in our conference, I didn't watch or care about CU football. However from this point on I will be looking up their game times, and if it fits into my schedule, I'll be watching. I think there are others that feel the same way. Colorado or he, depending on your view point, just did the conference a big favor. Holding out on the TV contract might have worked in the Pac 10's favor this time.
The Leach factor

Zimmer hasn't been in college for 30 years. Unless his only job is to coach the defense and not recruit then I don't see how a NFL lifer can just make the change back to college with all the crap that is going on right now. He's at retirement age. He just lost his son, he lost his wife a few years ago, he might just want to hang around his daughters and grandkids, but he also might want to stay active and not think of those things, but I don't see him being a college coach.

Zimmer hasn't been in college for 30 years. Unless his only job is to coach the defense and not recruit then I don't see how a NFL lifer can just make the change back to college with all the crap that is going on right now. He's at retirement age. He just lost his son, he lost his wife a few years ago, he might just want to hang around his daughters and grandkids, but he also might want to stay active and not think of those things, but I don't see him being a college coach.
Coaches coach. He will want to get back in the game. Whether a good fit in college that is to be determined.

It is an addiction for them. They really know nothing else. And yes I would guess Zimmer would rather stay active than think about losing his son.

So…he’s Herm Edwards with emotional baggage?

More super hot takes on how Mike Zimmer will fail at Colorado.

Ask yourself - the 30 year NFL vet scheming against Eric Morris. Who’s your money on?
He coached for Parcels . He coached 4-3 and 3-4 defenses . I think somehow he will adjust . He may not even be asked to hit the road . Denver may be his territory . Goes gets a cup of coffee and heads back to Boulder letting young bucks handle the travel and kiss ass .

Love to see wsu help out morris and get him one of the top five oline coaches in the country .

Last edited:
Reactions: SaveFerris
He coached for Parcels . He coached 4-3 and 3-4 defenses . I think somehow he will adjust . He may not even be asked to hit the road . Denver may be his territory . Goes gets a cup of coffee and heads back to Boulder letting young bucks handle the travel and kiss ass .

Love to see wsu help out morris and get him one of geb top five okine coaches in the country .
I think a guy that was an NFL DC and head coach might be a recruiting draw all on its own. I doubt Zimmer's there to be out on the recruiting trail too much. Definitely provides credibility for Sanders though.

Reactions: CougEd
Just read a report the the Zimmer rumors were just rumors. Charles Kelly, the co-DC from Alabama, is moving to Boulder.

ADVERTISEMENT