ADVERTISEMENT

Mississippi State

Coug1990

Hall Of Fame
Gold Member
Dec 22, 2002
I was bored, so I decided to look at the MSU athletic website. There are no on field assistant coaches listed besides the newly hired DC Zach Arnett. But, they do have six coaches listed in some type of recruiting capacity. This doesn't include Dave Emerick, and a number of other off-filed football personnel. MSU does not mind throwing money around. I am curious to see how their recruiting is next year.

https://hailstate.com/sports/football/coaches/2020

MSU already has two verbals from this weekend. QB Daniel Greek, who was a target for WSU when Leach was at WSU and WR Brandon Buckhaulter.

Also, only Darcel McBath and Jeff Phelps were hired at MSU. They just hired Jason Washington, who was at Texas and was named their best recruiter by 247. Leach also kept one holdover coach is Tony Hughes, who will coach safety's. What is interesting is that McBath coached CB's at WSU and Washington coached CB's at Texas. Not sure of the assignments yet.

Those guys are 2021.

let me help those out who only read precise. There is a continuation of thought by 1990. Last sentence he wrote in his first post was I wonder how they would do in future recruiting . Then the next posts 1990 continues the stream of thought and says they already have two verbals ... and even I knew he was referring to 2021 ...

Reactions: Coug1990
let me help those out who only read precise. There is a continuation of thought by 1990. Last sentence he wrote in his first post was I wonder how they would do in future recruiting . Then the next posts 1990 continues the stream of thought and says they already have two verbals ... and even I knew he was referring to 2021 ...

Only four grammatical errors.

Oh. I didn't know. I'm sorry. How long were you and Coach Leach dating?

Never. It was a torrid affair and now he's gone. Finished. No reason to cheat or fret about what could have been. Rear view mirror.

Just like I hope our players are approaching the new regime.

And based on what I've been hearing, they are stoked.

Reactions: cr8zyncalif
Never. It was a torrid affair and now he's gone. Finished. No reason to cheat or fret about what could have been. Rear view mirror.

Just like I hope our players are approaching the new regime.

And based on what I've been hearing, they are stoked.
Been there my friend. Have been dumped before. Interestingly enough, I am still friend with a couple of ex's.

As for myself, I am curious to see how Leach will do in the SEC. I have said on here that Leach doesn't make it to the end of the contract, as he will jump to the NFL sooner or later.

Been there my friend. Have been dumped before. Interestingly enough, I am still friend with a couple of ex's.

As for myself, I am curious to see how Leach will do in the SEC. I have said on here that Leach doesn't make it to the end of the contract, as he will jump to the NFL sooner or later.

He left $750K on the table in equity and his new flame paid $2 Million in child support.

giphy.gif

Reactions: TrumpCoug

FWIW, here is my Mike Leach SEC prediction:

7 wins first year with 3 blowout losses. No activity from Leach's agent.
8 wins second year with 2 bad losses. No activity from Leach's agent.
9 wins third year with 1 bad loss and 1 loss that was not close through most of the 4th quarter. Leach's agent shops him around the NFL, beginning about 2 months before the LOI early signing date. This creates heartburn in Mississippi.
8 wins fourth year; fan boards get nasty; media reporters get snarky; perception is that, since he has not fully solved the "rush 3, drop 8 with a nose tackle that demands a double team" problem, he has hit his SEC ceiling. Leach's agent is shopping him around after the 6th game of the season. The impact on recruiting is clear.

At some point approaching year 5 Leach jumps to the NFL, to a mid-market team that finished in the bottom third of the league overall the previous season with an average D and one of the weaker offenses.

After 4-6 years in the NFL, CML retires to Florida but spends the worst 3-4 humidity index months in the PNW.

9 wins third year with 1 bad loss and 1 loss that was not close through most of the 4th quarter. Leach's agent shops him around the NFL, beginning about 2 months before the LOI early signing date. This creates heartburn in Mississippi.
8 wins fourth year; fan boards get nasty; media reporters get snarky; perception is that, since he has not fully solved the "rush 3, drop 8 with a nose tackle that demands a double team" problem, he has hit his SEC ceiling. Leach's agent is shopping him around after the 6th game of the season. The impact on recruiting is clear.

At some point approaching year 5 Leach jumps to the NFL, to a mid-market team that finished in the bottom third of the league overall the previous season with an average D and one of the weaker offenses.

After 4-6 years in the NFL, CML retires to Florida but spends the worst 3-4 humidity index months in the PNW.
Could happen that way. I personally believe that after two years he is gone, especially if the Arizona Cardinals have any success. There is a dearth of NFL candidates right now. Leach is better than Kingsbury and if his offense does well, an NFL team will go after the better original.

Reactions: cr8zyncalif

He will never win 9 at MSU. High water mark will be 7, he will be forced out after 4 years and retire in KW.

I don’t see him in the NFL.

Kind of think MSU will be his last stop, regardless of results. He’ll have all the money he ever needs to enjoy his grandkids and provide for them, and also make his periodic international excursions to study whatever topic has struck his fancy.

For what it’s worth, I believe Leach took the entire WSU offensive staff with him to MSU, and on the defensive side Phelps and mcbath. He kept one of the original MSU defensive staff and I believe he has filled all other defensive positions now.

I agree with those who say it will be interesting to see how it plays out, both at Wazzu and “State” (has MSU refers to itself). Year two in particular.

Last edited:
For what it’s worth, I believe Leach took the entire WSU offensive staff with him to MSU, and on the defensive side Phelps and mcbath. He kept one of the original MSU defensive staff and I believe he has filled all other defensive positions now.

I agree with those who say it will be interesting to see how it plays out, both at Wazzu and “State” (has MSU refers to itself). Year two in particular.
Yes, I believe this is correct. The offense was not the problem last year. So, it was smart to bring in coaches that know the Air Raid. The defense was horrible, so it makes sense to have mostly a do over. McBath is one of his guys, his player. Phelps did a good job coaching DT's.

Yes, I believe this is correct. The offense was not the problem last year. So, it was smart to bring in coaches that know the Air Raid. The defense was horrible, so it makes sense to have mostly a do over. McBath is one of his guys, his player. Phelps did a good job coaching DT's.

Leach took the S&C coach, and a number of admin/support staff as well. I think this is pretty common for incoming head coaches, Rolo is doing the same.

To me all the Wazzu staff willing to follow Leach to Starkville MS (granted, they are all likely getting sizable raises) refutes certain posters assertions that his staff “hated working for Leach...that’s why he can’t keep staff,” etc.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT